DSI Prophet 12 - Page 44 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 28th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
I must say, I'm blown away by this synth! I've heard a few demos of this synth and heard a bunch in different characters in it. I did it, it's pre-ordered!!!
slut!
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto ➑️
slut!
I'll own that(lol)!
Old 30th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New demo!

Last edited by Foxis; 30th April 2013 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Borked soundcloud url
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis ➑️
New demo!

Did you actually read some of the posts before you?
I mean, this soundcloud was posted 2 days ago, and you can find it 5 posts prior to you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Did you actually read some of the posts before you?
I mean, this soundcloud was posted 2 days ago, and you can find it 5 posts prior to you.
Oops, sorry. I do follow the thread but missed the latest exchange. I obviously meant no harm.
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➑️
Here's another demo:

I especially like the middle bit.

It's certainly shaping up to be a very versatile synth.
cool. intro track sounds a lot like early blackdog/plaid.. very nice to hear this synth in context of an actual track.
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➑️
Here's another demo:

I especially like the middle bit.

It's certainly shaping up to be a very versatile synth.
Well now we are getting some interesting sounds!!
I think its a deep sounding instrument with an alive sound
even though its digital. Looking forward to hearing the first batch of quality
music with the P12....
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's why I got rid of my P08 for it, this thing sounds lovely. I know some of you will ask why would I get rid of a pure analog synth for a hybrid, but I really like the sound of the P12. I feel it goes a lot further than the P08.
Old 3rd May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's why I got rid of my P08 for it, this thing sounds lovely. I know some of you will ask why would I get rid of a pure analog synth for a hybrid, but I really like the sound of the P12. I feel it goes a lot further than the P08.
I got rid of my PEK and Mopho x4 for it so I understand! I feel the P12 has a very unique sound to it and it seems very flexible. I have a few analog mono synths and the Tempest so I already have plenty of fully analog goodness, I really think this will be a nice addition.
The only thing Im dissapointed with is the sequencer and Ex audio in on the PEK which is not present on the P12..
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I believe the Prophet 12 is going to be the real prophet of all synthesizers.
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 4th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've wanted to love all the DSI synthesizers but they just don't gel with me. I want to like them so badly that I've thought about picking up an Evolver to get some really quality time with it. My expectations were pretty low buut I got to say, from some of the demo's the Prophet 12 sounds really good. Looking forward to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfamousdead ➑️
The only thing Im dissapointed with is the sequencer and Ex audio in on the PEK which is not present on the P12..
Definitely agree with this though!
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think this one is special. Dave seems really excited about this one in interviews... Even more excited than he normally is about his other synths.
Old 7th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
when is the motherlode going to be shipped? The time between announcement & actual avaialability of anything seems ridicolous

'NEW for 2013!' (year of announcement, followed by testing, firmware upgrades, general apathy and bull****), demo'ed at Namm or Messe, follows by months of cheesy demos and available only if you pre-order it many many months from announement & only then in 'limited ' supples. Product will still have software problems and be not finsihed even after delivery. Maybe a year later product may be seen for demo in local stores IF YOU ARE LUCKY! I still have not seen a real life Arturia Minibrute in a store! But thats the UK for you, cutting edge as always!!

I wonder if Dave is already working on the prophet 16 for Namm 14.

You can see it now ' my greatest synth ever, has 16 oscillators, yada yada......' then all those suckers who've bought the 12 will be selling to get the 16, only it won't be available for another 8 -12 months after its first announec and by that time we will have rumours about the prophet 24, and so on and so on until we can all go **** ourselves......
You can choose to ignore the hype.
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice rant, ha
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
6/14 for me
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Nice rant, ha
Lol!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm on the waiting list for one here in Sweden. Store says it will be arriving late may, and that is supposedly based on info from DSI regarding when their order will be shipping (apparently they ordered right after the announcement).
We'll see if that holds up. Can't wait to try it!
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis ➑️
I'm on the waiting list for one here in Sweden. Store says it will be arriving late may, and that is supposedly based on info from DSI regarding when their order will be shipping (apparently they ordered right after the announcement).
We'll see if that holds up. Can't wait to try it!
You are so disloyal for not getting the NEW Nord Lead 4...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You are so disloyal for not getting the NEW Nord Lead 4...
Yeah, and I haven't bought any Elektron or Teenage Engineering stuff either... shame on me! :D
Now if they had done more analogue stuff maybe I would have been more loyal...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New demo sounds very promising, the hybrid design must surely be the way of the future, to make modern digital oscillators sound more musical.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfamousdead ➑️
Heh, I'm not disappointed because if it had external audio it would supersede the evolver. The poly evolver especially can get damn interesting, freaky, but also pretty when you start running it's voices back into itself.

Oh, and does anyone know if you can open up the VCAs to let it drone?

My only issue with DSI is, if you're gonna do modern (semi)digital hardware get the resources to keep updating the software. Polyevolver has bugs, Tempest may have bugs? No idea about the rest. It makes me take a wait and see approach to what seems like a fantastic synth otherwise.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater ➑️
Heh, I'm not disappointed because if it had external audio it would supersede the evolver. The poly evolver especially can get damn interesting, freaky, but also pretty when you start running it's voices back into itself.

My only issue with DSI is, if you're gonna do modern (semi)digital hardware get the resources to keep updating the software. Polyevolver has bugs, Tempest may have bugs? No idea about the rest. It makes me take a wait and see approach to what seems like a fantastic synth otherwise.
+1

this is the first synth in years that i'm seriously considering, but i will probably wait for the inevitable OS bugs to be fixed and buy from the second hand market.
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I must admit I hadn't really considered that aspect of buying one of the first units of a brand new synth. I know the P08 and the Tempest has had their share of problems after release, so maybe that's a reason to hold off for a while. Hm...tough decision. I really want one...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

2 of the envelopes latch so i guess if you use them to control vca why not?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
when is the motherlode going to be shipped? The time between announcement & actual avaialability of anything seems ridicolous

'NEW for 2013!' (year of announcement, followed by testing, firmware upgrades, general apathy and bull****), demo'ed at Namm or Messe, follows by months of cheesy demos and available only if you pre-order it many many months from announement & only then in 'limited ' supples. Product will still have software problems and be not finsihed even after delivery. Maybe a year later product may be seen for demo in local stores IF YOU ARE LUCKY! I still have not seen a real life Arturia Minibrute in a store! But thats the UK for you, cutting edge as always!!

I wonder if Dave is already working on the prophet 16 for Namm 14.

You can see it now ' my greatest synth ever, has 16 oscillators, yada yada......' then all those suckers who've bought the 12 will be selling to get the 16, only it won't be available for another 8 -12 months after its first announec and by that time we will have rumours about the prophet 24, and so on and so on until we can all go **** ourselves......
Congratulations. You are officially the most high-strung person on the internet.

You realize that the manufacturers don't make up the timing of the trade shows, right? I'm convinced that NOTHING will make you happy. Maybe you should spend your money on something else?

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes you can. There is a new "DC" modulation source which can be patched directly to VCA level, making it permanently open. There's also a hold button to indefinitely hold notes.
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Among the many things I've heard in the P12 demos so far, "weak" is definitely not one of them. It's some of the widest sound I've heard from a recently made synth over the last two decades.
You must not be reading a whole lot of posts. Fanboys will say it's HUGE, and people who are under no self-imposed illusions, will say it's WEAK and THIN compared to analog ie Prophet 08. Certainly it sounds "big" in the way that it has lots of oscs going at once, but the oscs themselves are thin, as are all digital oscs compared to analog.
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Among the many things I've heard in the P12 demos so far, "weak" is definitely not one of them. It's some of the widest sound I've heard from a recently made synth over the last two decades.
You must not be reading a whole lot of posts. Fanboys will say it's HUGE, and people who are under no self-imposed illusions and who own VCO or DCO synths and have honestly compared, will say it's WEAK and THIN compared to analog ie Prophet 08.

Certainly it sounds "big" in the way that it has lots of oscs going at once-creating an ensemble type sound, but the oscs themselves are thin, as are all digital oscs compared to analog. So you've got lots of weak oscs together, trying to make up for the basic thin-ness of the digital oscs. Quantity vs quality. Meh. I'll take ONE voice of good ol fat real sweet VCO over 12 voices of aliasing thin digicrap.
πŸ“ Reply