Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 31 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I watched that K1 vid this morning- lovely and took me back to my K1 days, with added filter and processing! Great sounds.

I'd love to spend a year programming the P12 and I'd probably scratch the surface of it even less than on my P'08, it's got so much more to it. Various monosynths, modular and pure digital stuff aside, the P12 looks like kind of a perfect synth to me. I love the sound of it from the YouTube vids too.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Zahush has a GRP and he is in another synth thread explaining why synth x is rubbish
You ever make music with that synth or is only used a soap box upon which you stand while casting down wisdom on the pleebs

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➡️
I watched that K1 vid this morning- lovely and took me back to my K1 days, with added filter and processing! Great sounds.
I should make a video of my Desktop Evolver... First make a patch with the editor, but then at least I could show my hands twiddling the knobs while I alter it

On topic: For the first time I'm considering buying a synth that's way above my budget. I'll probably have to put aside money for the next 2 years first.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teceem ➡️
I should make a video of my Desktop Evolver... First make a patch with the editor, but then at least I could show my hands twiddling the knobs while I alter it

On topic: For the first time I'm considering buying a synth that's way above my budget. I'll probably have to put aside money for the next 2 years first.
Yeah- if I could save money, I'd be doing the same...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While I will probably buy one as soon as they're available, IF it sounds great, I can't really understand those who have already made the decision based on YT vids. Which video(s) helped you decide? It's a very interesting synth but to be honest I havent's heard one sound yet that made me go "wow, this is a must have".
My interest at this point is merely based on how it *could* sound...We'll see if it does.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis ➡️
I can't really understand those who have already made the decision based on YT vids.
It has a nice interface, that's for sure. Can't say that about something like... the Microwave I, for example.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep ➡️
Zahush has a GRP and he is in another synth thread explaining why synth x is rubbish
Well... in fairness to zahush, he didn't say the Prophet 12 was trash. He did say that it sounded professional, looked like a good DSI synth or something like that. Then again, that might have just been him saying, "Oh look, another DSI synth, whatever..."

I am surprised that he hounded me like he did, because in the post Dirty Halo quoted, I made it a point to mention the CS-80 and ARP Chroma. I specifically wanted to discuss how refreshing it is to see a powerful polyanalog - okay, hybrid/analog - that wasn't trying to be a Jupiter-8, OB-X or Memorymoog on the sly. I'm aware that the world is littered with all kinds of boutique synths, and the really strange guys like the Metatronix, and that's all well and dandy. But how awesome are they at doing all kinds of sounds? I don't want to experiment with expensive purchases of these synths, only to find out it won't do what I want. I'm really not in the mood for that.

The Prophet 12 will do a lot of what I want, and I suspect, give me more than I can dream of.

Anyway, gotta go to work on all of two hours' sleep. I'm gonna die...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep ➡️
I'f you're reffering to the boomstar thread - than i wasn't saying it is rubbish, in any part of the thread. All i was saying is that i didn't understand their marketing startegy, which included revealing the product a year before it was even functional (and on the same note, i wrote that dsi is a good example of how you announce a product that can be bought shortly after that announcement, like what happend with the mopho x4).
Soundwise - so far the boomstars (at least the 3003 and 4075 which have demos) sound absolutely awsome, and i may get one.

About me mentioning the GRP here - it was just one example out of many others i gave, in response to what synthguy wrote. His claim was that out of all the synths that came in the last few years - the minibrute and dsi synths stick out, and are the most unique.
Do you - rust creep - agree with that?
I personally thought it was a little bit of a "bold statement", and so i gave some other synths as examples. Besides the GRP, i wrote about mutable instruments, gotharman, solaris, the ekdahl polygamist etc etc. Just to make a point - that there are a lot of innovative, original and unique synths out there today, and it's a bit too soon to give dsi this title.

Quote:
You ever make music with that synth or is only used a soap box upon which you stand while casting down wisdom on the pleebs
No. I don't ever make music with it. It's even worse than you thought. I use it as a stand for pink toilet paper:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula ➡️
every GRP A4 / A8 demonstration i've heard has been what i would describe as harsh, buzzy and a bit screechy (...quite like the minibrute...). no doubt it is a VERY powerful synth, but i have heard absolutely nothing that made me want it- only the spec sheet makes me want it.
Fair enough. Perhaps these demos might give you a different impression (and perhaps not:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7906537-post78.html

In any case, i agree that a lot of times it depends on who's doing the demo. I can bet that every synth that'll fall into jexus' hands will come out as wild, experimental, etc - perhaps up till the point you might not imagine how a synth like that can make more gentle sounds.
I know for certain that dsi synths can make a whole range of sounds. But if you got your impressions only from that carson dude demos - you'd think they are only capable of making distorted, glitchy sounds. And we know that ain't the case. So it all goes back to wether we can really judge what an instrument is capable of - just from some youtubes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
While I will probably buy one as soon as they're available, IF it sounds great, I can't really understand those who have already made the decision based on YT vids. Which video(s) helped you decide? It's a very interesting synth but to be honest I havent's heard one sound yet that made me go "wow, this is a must have".
My interest at this point is merely based on how it *could* sound...We'll see if it does.
Well, I pre ordered it based on every single YT thing i could find on it but that's the kind of slut i am.....seriously the way i see it is i own other DSI gear ....i like the sound and interfaces. Sounds like it should be a nice addition, If there is too much crossover then i will unload some of the older gear as from what i've seen and heard so far the 12 is the way to go .....for me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
I'f you're reffering to the boomstar thread - than i wasn't saying it is rubbish, in any part of the thread. All i was saying is that i didn't understand their marketing startegy, which included revealing the product a year before it was even functional (and on the same note, i wrote that dsi is a good example of how you announce a product that can be bought shortly after that announcement, like what happend with the mopho x4).
Soundwise - so far the boomstars (at least the 3003 and 4075 which have demos) sound absolutely awsome, and i may get one.

About me mentioning the GRP here - it was just one example out of many others i gave, in response to what synthguy wrote. His claim was that out of all the synths that came in the last few years - the minibrute and dsi synths stick out, and are the most unique.
Do you - rust creep - agree with that?
I personally thought it was a little bit of a "bold statement", and so i gave some other synths as examples. Besides the GRP, i wrote about mutable instruments, gotharman, solaris, the ekdahl polygamist etc etc. Just to make a point - that there are a lot of innovative, original and unique synths out there today, and it's a bit too soon to give dsi this title.

No. I don't ever make music with it. It's even worse than you thought. I use it as a stand for pink toilet paper:

Damn you beat me to it.....this is exactly what i was going to do with my Solaris when it arrives
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Acoustic treatment?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
Acoustic treatment?
I think it's set up in the toilet isn't it....so if there's tiles in there it will sound just like a quantec RS or Lexicon 224 no ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The way I see it is that these kinds of synthesizers are very much reliant on the user's ability to create timbers on it. It's not the kind of synth where you show of a square wave being filter swept and you already can tell if it sounds good or not (think Boomstar, Sub-phatty, Minibrute, etc.); No, this is a complex, modulation driven instrument, where it is essential to understand it's architecture in order to make it sound right, where lushness and "phatness" is achieved, as well as other traits like "warm", "cold", "creamy", "sterile", etc.

Most people who jump to a decision to buy an instrument like this do it based on specs rather than demos.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➡️
The way I see it is that these kinds of synthesizers are very much reliant on the user's ability to create timbers on it. It's not the kind of synth where you show of a square wave being filter swept and you already can tell if it sounds good or not (think Boomstar, Sub-phatty, Minibrute, etc.); No, this is a complex, modulation driven instrument, where it is essential to understand it's architecture in order to make it sound right, where lushness and "phatness" is achieved, as well as other traits like "warm", "cold", "creamy", "sterile", etc.

Most people who jump to a decision to buy an instrument like this do it based on specs rather than demos.
And regardless on what some peoples opinions are DSI produce some very capable gear.... I like DS interfaces and sound...so to me it's a win-win situation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Imo that "square wave filter sweep" (personally i prefer saws for sweep testing) you talk about is actually quite a good indicator of what the synth can do.

At least as long as you want to use the filters actively in your programming.
(If you only go for the digital side of a given hybrid and just use the filter to remove some upper frequencies no worries, of course.)

Having a complex architecture is all fine and dandy, but very often the filters do have a great influence on the sound as a whole.

Basically, if it is hard to make a filter sweep on a basic waveform sound good, i'd say that unlocking good sounds is going to be more of a hassle than if the filter/osc combo already sounded the way you like it, meaning that a good synth (again, IMO) lets you create sounds without having to resort to extensive programming to overcome inherent weaknesses in the signal path.

Disclaimer: This reply is not specifically about the P12, because i have (obviously) never properly heard it.
It is just a general statement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh ➡️
Imo that "square wave filter sweep" (personally i prefer saws for sweep testing) you talk about is actually quite a good indicator of what the synth can do.

At least as long as you want to use the filters actively in your programming.
(If you only go for the digital side of a given hybrid and just use the filter to remove some upper frequencies no worries, of course.)

Having a complex architecture is all fine and dandy, but very often the filters do have a great influence on the sound as a whole.

Basically, if it is hard to make a filter sweep on a basic waveform sound good, i'd say that unlocking good sounds is going to be more of a hassle than if the filter/osc combo already sounded the way you like it, meaning that a good synth (again, IMO) lets you create sounds without having to resort to extensive programming to overcome inherent weaknesses in the signal path.

Disclaimer: This reply is not specifically about the P12, because i have (obviously) never properly heard it.
It is just a general statement.
I agree, but only when speaking about more conventional architectures (let's say, a subtractive analog mono) then that's definitely the case; but on a synth like this (or like, say a prophet VS, a Wavestation A/D, etc.) those kinds of tests really can't say much about their character; it's like when the V-synth came out, whole bunch of demos showing how it did "analog style" synthesis, when this machine's REAL strength has always been it's sample mangling capabilities.

My point is basically: Show off it's real powers and it's real worth and everything else will fall into place.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My point is basically: Show off it's real powers and it's real worth and everything else will fall into place.
Yup, who wants to hear filter sweeps on a WaldorfXT? heh
So much more there.

...and since we are talking "so much more" - there are digital oscillators with wavetables on the P12.

How hard can it be to program the ability to upload user-wavetables into those?
I mean, if you go digital, give the users something to play with themselves?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My initial thought on this P'12 was "omfg best synth evar!"
Then quickly I started to calm down and think it wasn't as magic as that.
And now after a few days i don't even care anymore. :/
I'm just not sold on the demos on youtube and i remembered the other DSI latest instruments i didn't like.

Maybe when i'll try it in shop the GAS will be back..
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone tried it yet?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
Perhaps these demos might give you a different impression (and perhaps not:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7906537-post78.html
here, i will respond: i'll just say something nice here about your GRP A4 so you can quote me later on it, zahush! but it doesn't mean i meant it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teceem ➡️
On the other hand: making a video of someone programming some button/menu driven synth would be quite boring. See for yourself: Kawai K1: warming up - YouTube (I made this one, and primarily for soundcloud actually)
ha! i thought with the way you were selling it, i could fully expect something just horrible/terrible... but it's quite nice! nicely done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➡️
They should ship one over to Jexus or Katsunori UJIIE so we could hear what the synth is truly capable of.
marketing isn't exactly DSI's strong suit. it's my belief that doing something like what you're suggesting would work wonders for their image!
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll paraphrase my post to the video.

That was a nifty performance, but the team there does need to work on some demos which really show off those Prophet 12 features - what Peter was doing could likely have been done on a P08. And by the way, Dave, noise and distortion have been EXTENSIVELY COVERED THANK you very much.

Show off those dual filters, what the wavetables do, how lush it sounds, how great it sounds with the second layer in dual mode. Give us some filter sweeps. Show off the modular aspects. I have no doubt it's a beast, but I would like to see it in action - programmed by ME!! heh

By the way, zahush's A4 demos are the kind I don't care for. I think this is why he likes the "interesting" synths, and I like the P12.
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
That was a nifty performance, but the team there does need to work on some demos which really show off those Prophet 12 features -
i would go so far as to say this demonstration is horrifyingly, shockingly, comically bad. but i just know there are a whole bunch of people who are into exactly this type of thing, so who is to say?? i mean, what do i know? fortunately, i have every belief that it will sound spectacular if i'm programming it up.

Quote:
By the way, zahush's A4 demos are the kind I don't care for. I think this is why he likes the "interesting" synths, and I like the P12.
indeed, most of them were quite harsh and screeching, but there were a couple of moments that sounded nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula ➡️
indeed, most of them were quite harsh and screeching, but there were a couple of moments that sounded nice.
I don't want to just sound sneery. And thinking about it, there are basically two ways to showcase a monosynth; either doing leads and basses in a track, or making sound effects/wanking. But whenever someone does a bunch of odd blippity sounds, I never think "Oh THAT sound is killer! What else is gonna sound like that?" Because even a Juno can do some of that. Every synth can make those odd buzzy blorpy sequencer things - well, with a sequencer. Plus the stuff that interests me is more old school concept rock, where Moog bass and ARP or Obie leads are all the rage, or pipe organs. lots of pipe organs.

On Peter's performance, that was cute fun stuff, but not really anything like a proper P12 showcase. Doing the funk/pop/jazz groove thang, you can either go light and flutie, ballsy, or cheezy, and Pete went with the cheese. But it was stuff the P08 could have done easily, funky reso leads and Farfisa organ sounds.

I would like to get my hands on it and really whang out something odd, wild and epical. And as someone who's tastes run from Erasure to ELP to Tangerine Dream to Nine Inch Nails, I think I'm nicely qualified for such a project. Hint: Dave, call me, nudge wink.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
marketing isn't exactly DSI's strong suit. it's my belief that doing something like what you're suggesting would work wonders for their image!
I'd venture to guess that this is why Trent Reznor has one right now, to have someone competent put together a demo of sorts. On paper it looks pretty cool, but I haven't heard a demo where I was like "WOW that's $3K good".
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't want to just sound sneery.
i know... and i'm just trying to be funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
Trent Reznor
that would be a perfectly fine place to start.
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not really. Trent's response was completely unsolicited. We were pleasantly surprised to see him tweet about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
I'd venture to guess that this is why Trent Reznor has one right now, to have someone competent put together a demo of sorts. On paper it looks pretty cool, but I haven't heard a demo where I was like "WOW that's $3K good".
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➡️
Not really. Trent's response was completely unsolicited. We were pleasantly surprised to see him tweet about it.
of course. but if you were to solicit him or even pay him a semi-princely sum to write the sound banks, i wouldn't even blink.

i'd simply say to myself, "dsi is really being wise about this one."

this as someone who hasn't even listened to NIN since the '90s. i just think it might be a good match with this particular synthesizer.

for me, it doesn't even matter- i just think this type of thing would be helpful in dsi's marketing approach- word was that the prophet 08 was simply a bust, and each and every demonstration of it reiterates that. if it weren't for the fact that i just inherently knew the synth was for me, i would've believed everything anyone ever told me about it. of course, now i know better- just as i implicitly know prophet 12 is amazing. i just think about so many who listen to demos, or even buy prophet 08, but don't take the time to program it, don't apply outboard effects, because perhaps they never believed it could be done because no one ever showed them it could be done. faith is a powerful thing, and lack of faith is bone-crushing. not saying that there aren't people who validly just do NOT like it no matter what. and prophet 08 isn't the be all/end all, but it has some valuable tricks up its sleeves that don't exactly get demonstrated in forms that the vanguard might appreciate- and the presets were IMO just terrible. but still. and you can't just take any sound designer to do the demos. but trent reznor might be a nice start.

what makes a synthesizer iconic is its legacy in the songs and hearts of the generations that grow up on it. it must be present in the songs that people grow attached to. this makes it indelible. the future is yet to be written, and it will be the artists and producers who write the future, but you want to at least get your fine products in the hands of those who have real talent and real cachet. dsi's job is to design and manufacture such synths and then attract those who will be writing the future. excellent demos are a way to do this- jordan rudess is NOT the way to do this, but it seems synth manufacturers are not ever seeing this; completely impervious to the logic.

and i'm sure trent picked up the prophet vs because it made an evil sound. perhaps we should take to twitter to ask him to tell that tale? and quite possibly trent reznor is not whom you want to be turning to... in fact, i think it the very best thing to turn to someone who is on the edge of making something truly great. like siriusmo. someone who is the future. quite like prospecting, but i wouldn't think it would be too difficult. i just hope you make sure the tale gets told about this synth. just saying! and this goes for any manufacturer of fine instruments- not everyone can be both an engineer and a madison avenue / andy warhol / david bowie type like ken macbeth.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I am truly not trying to flame here (well maybe so...)but I don't think you can consider DSI's marketing or even the initial response to the P08 a "bust" by any stretch of the imagination considering that product was released by (at the time) a company with one synth line (the evolver series) and one person (Dave Smith himself) handling all support AND design. They now have a full line of prophet based synths widely available, along with arguably the markets top analog/hybrid drum machine and a new flaghsip polysynth that appears to be the most talked about synth on GS (over new analogs from Korg and Moog) from this years NAMM. And if you are looking for impact endorsement, just watch Radiohead's live King of Limbs from the basement video from last summer.
📝 Reply