DSI Prophet 12 - Page 30 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️
I would purchase this immediately, if not sooner.

Especially if there were various multimodes that allowed round robin polyphony of six distinct patches.

I'd prefer desktop over rack, however.

I'd buy one of these as well for $1000. Be great if I could slave up a desktop version to the Polyevolver via Polychain.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
Lately, the only synthesizers which really stick out as unique are the Arturia MiniBrute and the Dave Smith synths.

Wow. Listen, you fanboy with P12 as your avatar, before it even came out: so much bull****, so little time.
That's quite a bs (Bold Statement) you made. How do you define "unique"? By sound quality? Unique features?
Either way - there are lots more interesting and unique stuff going out there.
Obviously, when you enter the modular domain - all the inovation and unique features can be found.
But if you want to stick to non modular, wether digital or analog - there's a world out there besides the arturia minibrute (great synth, but to be crowned as "really stick out as unique"?) and dsi synths.
Take the ekdahl polygamist for example:
Knaster

Or the mutable instruments ambika:
http://mutable-instruments.net/ambika

Or the Gotharman's little deformer synth\sampler\granular fx proccessor:
Ny side 1

Or the vermona perfourmer mkii:
VERMONA PERfourMER MKII - Vermona

Or the GRP A4:
GRP Synthesizer

The Bowen Solaris:
Solaris Overview

And so on and so forth. Each of the synths mentioned above (modular and not modular) has some unique and interesting features that enables it to make sounds only that specific synth can make. For example, take the perfourmer mkii. Besides its wonderful warm fat sound - it has some features like "sync chain" (for lack of a better name) where you can sync oscilator 2 to osc 1, and than osc 3 to osc 2, and osc 4 to osc 3 - simultaniously, and fm them together on top of that, which creates some strange and wonderful sounds.
Some of the synths above have multistage looping envelopes, quad multimode filters etc etc.
Saying that the minibrute and dsi synths are THE most unique synths out there today is just coming out of a narrow scope, or perhaps out of not being familiar with what's out there today.

As for dsi synths - i can agree that the Polyevolver is a unique synth that can make some sounds that are unique to it alone.
I do not, however, think that the same goes for a simpler synth like the P08. Nothing particulary interesting is going in there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️

Sure, let's bring up arcane synths the general synthesist has never heard of, and things that aren't really synthesis, like the completely misnamed "granular synth."

And HOW many GRP A4s are for sale??

Quote:
Now, we are seriously thinking about a second production run (of the GRP A4) in the 2013 (Wooden cabinet? Flight case?); so, if you are interested, drop us a line and we’ll keep you informed. Warning: this is not yet a preorder line, is just for evaluating the amount of interest on the machine.
And WHEN can I buy a Solaris?? heh

Quote:
We have determined we will be able to build an extra 10 units for the second production round! I had ordered parts for 120 sets of PCBs, to make sure we had enough if there were any board failures, but in testing it seems this production round has a better yield than before, so I will have 110 units from this next round
Gee... why didn't you mention the Schmidt 8 Voice synth while you were at it? Slipping there, Zahush.

Sure, there are a lot of synths for sale out there, some of which are quite unusual. I'm surprised you didn't mention that bizarre vacuum tube monster - Metatronix whateverthehellitis - which was mostly good for getting itself to feedback to death. And yes, modular synths are awesome. I want a Dotcom model myself. And when I can afford a BMW, I may well get one. But those examples you posted, of those I wasn't aware of, I'm just not as fascinated as you are. Of course it depends on what you like. I don't mesh all that well with most of the music floating around in here, and I don't particularly care for the MS-20, Mini or not. Maybe I'm stodgy, but I'd rather go modular for my sonic torture tests, and with more than a couple of oscillators. Fortunately, with synths these days from the Virus and Radias to any rompler, you can go pretty far into modulation madness if you want. With patch memory to boot. And they sound good. And when the musical mood of a track calls for it, they can also make gushy sweet pads too.

So maybe I should have mentioned that aside from all the oddball synths on the market which interest all of a few hundred people, and the ones you either can't have or have to wait for because they're made by hand, the Prophet 12 dares to be different and offer its own flavor of sound. Maybe it's not for you. It took me a while to decided that I liked the CS-80 after all. I guess you'll find out one day.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRP A4 salesperson from Glengary Glenn Ross "Always Be Closing" ➡️
b-b-b-buu-buuuuutttt the GRP A4:
GRP Synthesizer

oh a--a-a-and thhhheeee GRP A4 did this one thing- yeah but and then my GRP A4 protected me from a Snow Leopard

and there was also an Abominable Snowman

and then these mean people tried to tell these other people that the Prophet 12 was a... a... a... a synthe-sizer and i was all, like, "nuh-uh!"
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh, so what you meant wasn't "which synths lately, are the most unique and stand out", but rather "which commercial synths, lately, are the most unique and stand out"...
For a minute there i thought you really meant synths that "stick out" and are "unique", but since you only insist on synths that are made in large quantities - than by definition you're narrowing the synths in question, and almost by definition these synths aren't THE most unique. That's why usually most interesting stuff happens in the domain of boutique manufacturers.

As for your question - i actually own a GRP A4, and due to recieve my Solaris late march\early april, which is sooner than i would get a P12 if i ordered one.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by za GRP A4 ➡️
i actually own a GRP A4
whaaaaaaaaattttttttttt??????????!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula ➡️
whaaaaaaaaattttttttttt??????????!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!
What's so funny about that (apart from, maybe, you being jealous)?
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
could make for some cheaper P08 on the used market! goood
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, zahush, I meant "synths people would buy to make a wide variety of music, not just wub or fart bass or bug noises." Your definition of interesting seems more applicable to unobtanium to oddball to bizarre. It's been a long time since I looked at the Shruthi or however it's spelled, but using your link to peek at the Ambika, the demos just did nothing for me. Kind of like the DSIs other than the Evolver do for you.

Obviously we both have different tastes in music and sound. And in an arena of two musical senses which are at odds with each other, in a realm in which there can be no winner, who will win? heh

BTW, congrats on scoring an A4. If you manage to clone one, I'd consider a purchase.

Well, one more thing about the P12. I thought perhaps it was just another DSI synth at first myself, kind of like the Jupiter was a performance version of the Fantom. But after watching a ton of vids and downloading mp3s of the JP-80, and then finally getting my hands on one, it confirmed to me what the intranets were telling me, that it was something special. Obviously around here, one person's "special" is another guy's poo, but what else is new.

The P12 has the potential to make it whatever you want, in contrast to the interesting-to-gearslutz synths like the MS-20 which are essentially one sound ponies. No, it's not a chameleon like the Arturia Origin or Diva with a variety of modeled goodies in them. It has a DSI sound. But I'm hearing more than that. It does seem that Dave has made something special, something which the sum of the parts has produced a new level of DSI synth. He says it's his best synth ever, and I believe him.

The one instrument zahush mentioned that I'd love to own is the Solaris. But you have to either lay down $1000 US for a preorder, or the whole enchilada with a slight discount, and then hope John is still cranking them out when your spot FINALLY comes up. And in this economy with our idiot leader in charge of it, and a Senate which won't produce a budget, I'm not feeling very confident in niche garage businesses like John's being there no matter what happens. So I'm going to put my lot in with a synth maker which has an established base and a sound with character that isn't as common as everyone else's with their Massives and Viruses. I love the Virus sound, but like the CS-80 back in the late 70s, I'm ready for a synth that doesn't sound like the others on the market, one which is so wide open that what I do with it won't be what you do with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, zahush, I meant "synths people would buy to make a wide variety of music, not just wub or fart bass or bug noises." Your definition of interesting seems more applicable to unobtanium to oddball to bizarre. It's been a long time since I looked at the Shruthi or however it's spelled, but using your link to peek at the Ambika, the demos just did nothing for me. Kind of like the DSIs other than the Evolver do for you.

Obviously we both have different tastes in music and sound. And in an arena of two musical senses which are at odds with each other, in a realm in which there can be no winner, who will win? heh

BTW, congrats on scoring an A4. If you manage to clone one, I'd consider a purchase.

Well, one more thing about the P12. I thought perhaps it was just another DSI synth at first myself, kind of like the Jupiter was a performance version of the Fantom. But after watching a ton of vids and downloading mp3s of the JP-80, and then finally getting my hands on one, it confirmed to me what the intranets were telling me, that it was something special. Obviously around here, one person's "special" is another guy's poo, but what else is new.

The P12 has the potential to make it whatever you want, in contrast to the interesting-to-gearslutz synths like the MS-20 which are essentially one sound ponies. No, it's not a chameleon like the Arturia Origin or Diva with a variety of modeled goodies in them. It has a DSI sound. But I'm hearing more than that. It does seem that Dave has made something special, something which the sum of the parts has produced a new level of DSI synth. He says it's his best synth ever, and I believe him.

The one instrument zahush mentioned that I'd love to own is the Solaris. But you have to either lay down $1000 US for a preorder, or the whole enchilada with a slight discount, and then hope John is still cranking them out when your spot FINALLY comes up. And in this economy with our idiot leader in charge of it, and a Senate which won't produce a budget, I'm not feeling very confident in niche garage businesses like John's being there no matter what happens. So I'm going to put my lot in with a synth maker which has an established base and a sound with character that isn't as common as everyone else's with their Massives and Viruses. I love the Virus sound, but like the CS-80 back in the late 70s, I'm ready for a synth that doesn't sound like the others on the market, one which is so wide open that what I do with it won't be what you do with it.
First of all - no one's saying the P12 doesn't sound good. Maybe not my taste (and again, i remind you i had a p08 and polyevolver and eventually sold them because i endded not liking the sound), but definetly doesn't sound like a cheap toy.
However, your claim wasn't about the P12's sound quality - but about unique features, and that it "sticks out" out of all the synths out there today.
First of all - a very rash and bold statement about a synth that hasn't been out yet, and we only have a few youtubes of it - most of which are namm noise tubes. Nontheless, i have to say that while it sounds proffessional, there wasn't a single sound on none of the demos that was something "never heard before".
I don't think people mind very much, if a synth is good and they can use it to work. But i haven't heard a new "signature" sound that only the P12 can do or something.

Concerning your "fart bass and bug noises" remark - i hate those kind of sounds myself, so i don't quite understand where you're getting at. You can make fart bass and bug noises with a polyevolver as well. That has more to do with who's behind the knobs, tweaking them - and less about the features themselves.
What i CAN tell you is that if it's features you're talking about - than it's better to have a step sequencer than not, better to have more filters than less, better to have more envelopes than less, better to have looping envelopes than not at all, better have prophet vs waveshapes than not, better to have the ability to use samples as sound sources than not, etc etc.
All of these features have nothing what so ever with fart bass and bug noises.

Quote:
and things that aren't really synthesis, like the completely misnamed "granular synth."
And ignorant as well...
If it's the gotharman little deofrmer you're reffering to - than it has proper oscilators (4 per voice) with the "usuall" waveshapes - and then some. So it can do the usuall vco-vcf-vca synthesis, apart from all it's granular effects, sampler and a lot of other stuff you can read on their website.

About the Solaris - you can place a pre-order now and get in the current batch. I'm late to join this batch, and still my estimated delivery date is about late march. If you pre-order now, you'll probably get yours before the P12 is out. Over at the dsi forum pym confirmed the "safe" estimate for the P12 to be out is somewhere in June, so i guess i'll be tweaking my solaris about two months earlier than you will your P12.
But if you said you'd like a solaris - than why not? The only negative side is that you'll have to change your avatar.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Sure, let's bring up arcane synths the general synthesist has never heard of, and things that aren't really synthesis, like the completely misnamed "granular synth."

And HOW many GRP A4s are for sale??
I believe someone could cite the GRP A4 non only for the sake of bringing up "arcane synths the general synthesist has never heard of", but indeed also because the A4 is apparently the most powerful, most sophisticated, feature laden analog monosynth currently in production (modulars excluded). And, according to the demos I've heard, it sounds incredibly good, in a way that is sophisticated and brutal at the same time. It is priced accordingly, unfortunately, and built in small numbers, but I believe the "general synthesist" owes it to him/herself to "hear of" the A4!

best regards
Massimo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
First of all - no one's saying the P12 doesn't sound good. Maybe not my taste (and again, i remind you i had a p08 and polyevolver and eventually sold them because i endded not liking the sound), but definetly doesn't sound like a cheap toy.
However, your claim wasn't about the P12's sound quality - but about unique features, and that it "sticks out" out of all the synths out there today.
First of all - a very rash and bold statement about a synth that hasn't been out yet, and we only have a few youtubes of it - most of which are namm noise tubes. Nontheless, i have to say that while it sounds proffessional, there wasn't a single sound on none of the demos that was something "never heard before".
I don't think people mind very much, if a synth is good and they can use it to work. But i haven't heard a new "signature" sound that only the P12 can do or something.

Concerning your "fart bass and bug noises" remark - i hate those kind of sounds myself, so i don't quite understand where you're getting at. You can make fart bass and bug noises with a polyevolver as well. That has more to do with who's behind the knobs, tweaking them - and less about the features themselves.
What i CAN tell you is that if it's features you're talking about - than it's better to have a step sequencer than not, better to have more filters than less, better to have more envelopes than less, better to have looping envelopes than not at all, better have prophet vs waveshapes than not, better to have the ability to use samples as sound sources than not, etc etc.
All of these features have nothing what so ever with fart bass and bug noises.

And ignorant as well...
If it's the gotharman little deofrmer you're reffering to - than it has proper oscilators (4 per voice) with the "usuall" waveshapes - and then some. So it can do the usuall vco-vcf-vca synthesis, apart from all it's granular effects, sampler and a lot of other stuff you can read on their website.

About the Solaris - you can place a pre-order now and get in the current batch. I'm late to join this batch, and still my estimated delivery date is about late march. If you pre-order now, you'll probably get yours before the P12 is out. Over at the dsi forum pym confirmed the "safe" estimate for the P12 to be out is somewhere in June, so i guess i'll be tweaking my solaris about two months earlier than you will your P12.
But if you said you'd like a solaris - than why not? The only negative side is that you'll have to change your avatar.
Well I listened to the Solaris and have heard the P12 and so far the P12
sounds more interesting to me.Solaris sound was not wowing me but then someone who really knows how to program can make it come alive.
Funny how everybody judges the sound by the filter.
I close mine more than open them but todays music uses a bit of all of it...
I get sick of the cheesyness when its overdone which it is.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
facepalm, "fanboy", "bull****"
charm, understatement and a open mind:

ta-daaaa!!!

Captain Zahush enters the fray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well i'm one of the 100 or so waiting to get my solaris hopefully sooner rather than later.....I've pre-ordered the prophet 12 just for ****s and giggles so people on here will either love me or hate me or something in the middle...even though i'm quite a spontaneous type of guy i've listened to all Solaris demos repeatedly and likewise with Prophet 12....hell i even have some other DSI stuff knocking around in my collection....I love most synths including the Origin and Casio VL-1.... i'm still fond after all these years of the VL flute preset.....not a fan of the new Moogs though
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo ➡️
...the A4 is apparently the most powerful, most sophisticated, feature laden analog monosynth currently in production (modulars excluded).
But it's no longer in production. For some reason, they're "considering" another run in 2013. Maybe this means they're thinking of something else, like an A6, or something more affordable along the lines of a Voyetra OS. Or something with patch memories. Or just dropping synth building completely, who knows.

And I would love to get a Solaris, as I said before, but there have been posts in here of John being incommunicado for a while, and delivery dates slipping by months with little explanation. And I don't have very good luck. Laying down a grand on something that may or may not show up on time doesn't thrill me, as I'm not rich. Plus, it costs as much as a decent car, and I need a second car. I'm not sure what my synth buying will be like this year. The Solaris would replace a number of analog synths I lust after very well. But at the same time, I'm able to get there with what I have, so it's a matter of selling a few keyboards in our refund rich market in America for that, or something with its own character which is a thousand dollars less, and offers more polyphony. I don't know. I love emulation, and The S has a lofty reputation. But I'm enamored with the idea of taking a synth which isn't universally loved, as the DSI's obviously aren't, and making it the core of my production and seeing how far I can push it. Plus, they will be IN STOCK in stores, with warranties backed by an ESTABLISHED COMPANY, and this matters to me. PARDON THE CAPSLOCK, BUT IT SEEMS THAT SOME PEOPLE MISS CERTAIN KEY POINTS IN MY LENGTHY DISSERTATIONS. Ahem.

By the way z76, I'm not the one downvoting you. I'll grant your arguments on their merit.

Like zahush, sound matters to me, and while I sound a little derisive with my "fart bass and bug noise" remarks, it seems I have to exaggerate around here to get a point across. When I checked out Absynth demos, I was appalled. It seems the guys who made it were rabid fans of Danzig and Subotnik rather than Depeche Mode or ELP, because nearly every sound example was some horrid racket. And this is a problem with many of the synths these days, with demos oriented towards the noisy EDM market which I really don't care for.

Yeah, the sound of those filters matter, and apparently I can only hear sounds somewhere in the ballpark of what I want to hear in hardware synth or softy vintage emulators. I want Arturia's Moog Modular V or Diva over most of what zahush suggested as musically interesting instruments. And to put things down in plain english, these are the synths which interest me.

KORG Kronos
Roland Jupiter, Integra, whatever shows up at MusikMesse, VR-09
John Bowen Solaris
Studio Electronics CODE-8 with all filters but TB-303, and HQ output amps
Moog Voyager
Access Virus
Waldorf Blofeld
KORG Radias, King KORG
Arturia Origin, V Collection 3.0
U-he Diva
Spectrasonics Omnisphere

And the Prophet 12, which seems like a no-brainer over the P08 because of the extra features which are uncommon in hardware synths.

Now, while I'm not rich and have adopted a bunch of bills with a meager inheritance which will be a headache to sort out, I can probably afford a couple of very expensive things in that list, with perhaps all the cheaper ones. The CODE is a longshot due to the exorbitant price, and Solaris is almost as iffy, even though it is very powerful and flexible - it is its own V Collection.

But on the other hand, how many Prophet 12s are going to be sold, compared to the thousands of Viruses, Motifs, Fantoms, Jupiters, Kronoses etc? And once again, who will make the sounds with it that I will on something which has its own character, to the point that many dislike it?

I'm going to be eating a lot of cheap food this year and penny hunting to fund my decision. Should be fun. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From what i have heard of the P12 so far i like ....in fact enough so to pre order one. I'm going off the fact that i've had/have a few DSI 's and like his sound and design...I understand that the P12 will sound a bit different. I don't have issues with VCO's/DCO's or 'pure' digital . I like the fact that Dave is using digital oscs in this one. The Solaris was ordered a while back. John Bowen has excellent communication with people who have put orders in with him. People who have the Solaris are very happy with it from what i've read and believe me i've read every single article on it and pretty much every single post on the Solaris JB forum . To me it's all good in a round about. One thing......Synths are very subjective (just like any instrument). I'm not a big fan of the new moog sound but each to they're own. I use my own ears when purchasing a synth . The interesting thing is from the rev3 P5's onwards Dave Smith has been using the CEM filter chip....This is part of the Dave Smith sound.....Some love it/some hate it but it's what gives his machines 'that' personality
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But it's no longer in production. For some reason, they're "considering" another run in 2013. Maybe this means they're thinking of something else, like an A6, or something more affordable along the lines of a Voyetra OS. Or something with patch memories. Or just dropping synth building completely, who knows.
Plus, they will be IN STOCK in stores, with warranties backed by an ESTABLISHED COMPANY, and this matters to me. PARDON THE CAPSLOCK, BUT IT SEEMS THAT SOME PEOPLE MISS CERTAIN KEY POINTS IN MY LENGTHY DISSERTATIONS. Ahem.
I am not sure I get your points completely.
As far as I understand, GRP is a one man operation, and the A4 is a boutique product. So, yes, you will probably not find one at Guitar Center.
So what?
As a classical/acoustic guitarist, I can go Taylor or Martin, or I can choose an independent luthier, which I did by the way with the supremely talented Michael Bashkin. He probably produces less guitars per year than GRP does with synths. I am hoping he is going to build guitars forver, but - yes - he might be "dropping (guitar) building completely". Who knows? The other side of the coin is, I can have direct communication with the man, we swap hints, I had him custom build be an instrument that is exactly the way I wanted it. And he backs his products, replies to mails promptly, is open to suggestions as much as I am. This is as much, if not more, worthy than some official warranty from a bigger builder.
In the synth world, you should feel privileged to have access - if you have the money - to a boutique instrument that is wonderful, and to be able to communicate with the builder directly.
By the way, I read that another batch of A4's is in the works, and one can choose between wood or roadcase enclosure. So, within the limitations discussed above, it seems to me it IS currently in production

best regards
Massimo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I want to return to the "iconic" thing Yoozer discussed. I meant it in a different way than being flaunted on stage and becoming the new source of fiber.

What I meant was in music, an instrument which produced some curious new sounds that made you want to find out what someone used to do that. A number of synths did that. Minimoog, ARP 2600, Prophet 5, Jupiter-8, DX7, D-50, PPG Wave, Wavestation, K2000... there is quite a list of distinctive synths that weren't necessarily on stage, but in a piece of music, the keyboard players had to know what the synth was because it clearly did something the others didn't.

Since the advent of the rompler and VA, this has been more rare. In fact, the goal has become to provide as wide a spectrum of sound as possible. The ultimate examples are the OASYS, Kronos and Jupiter-80, which they do extremely well.

But it's about time that a synthesizer came along which is more focused but powerful, with the potential to deliver unique timbres like synths did in the old days. Another CS-80 or ARP Chroma. And this is as close as I've seen in a long time. I keep saying that the Prophet 12 is a synth that will be what you make of it, because it has so many tools in the box - four oscillators and a SUB?? And those dual resonant filters. The insane number of modulators and how they can be routed. As Dave says, everything can modulate everything. This is practically a Prophet modular. And you can instantly layer the thing, because an entire patch is lying under the primary one. Layer them, and you can still play six note chords.

It's not creamy smooth like a Moog, but like the P08, it has it's own version of smooth. And like I said, it is good to sound like yourself, rather than be a vintage toybox that tries to sound like everyone else. What you do with this monster is entirely up to you, and what you can imagine.
FWIW, great post I agree on the concept of each synth bringing something new to the party and the flip-side, the sad trend of synths now just trying to sound like other synths.

Even with older tech like analog though, there's still room for innovation. Hell, I think the Minibrute is a great example of that.

-a
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar ➡️
If under 800 Dollar a 6-voice multi-timbral rack version would be very welcomed.

Sorry not gonna happen.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I forgot to mention that I want a $2000 Ferrari too.

And on Dirty Halo's quote above, reading it over, it almost sounds like I insisted if you have a Mini D and anything else analog, you have all the universe of vintage sound you want. As if a Jupiter-8 isn't any big deal if you have an OB-Xa or vice versa. No, not even. Everything has its own character. Even the MS-20 Mini is worth all the squirming and gushing over it, because those vintage MS-20s are getting harder to come by. I've followed Halo's posts for a year or two, and he has a HUGE synth list, but I'm betting that he thinks like me, that every little difference in his collection is worth holding on to.

I also appreciate the copycat VAs and softies, and some of the pricey synths which emulate the vintage guys, because they allow those of us who aren't rich - like me - to be able to use some of that flavor in our musical toyroom.

I want to step into this realm of you analog purists, because even though I keep harping on the point that the digital guys get you very close, I do appreciate the remaining margin which only analog will get you. Or a hybrid like the P12. And this guy is different, but musical in a way that I like. And as modular as you can get without a patch panel. It's kind of pricey, but not out of reach. And I know I'm beating this point to the center of the Earth, but this beast has the most capacity of the synths I'm familiar with to sound unique when you make your own patches on it. FOUR osciillators AND a Sub. With three wavetables per OSC. And waveshaping. And FM of all three OSCs, or AM. And dual resonant LP-HP filters, and multislope on the lowpass. And dual layers on demand. And unison like mad. And dozens of modulation options you can route all over. And my fingers are out of breath. heh

I hear the Curtis Prophet sound, but then I don't, and that's a good thing, a very good thing. She's worth at least as much fuss in the music world as a reissued 35 year old monosynth. I want to take this thing around the curves of a composition, open up that lowpass filter and see what she can do.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
FWIW, great post
+1

Quote:
I agree on the concept of each synth bringing something new to the party
Yes, and I think the Prophet 12 is going to do that. It's easy to be unique in the boutique market. Doing a mainstream poly is a different matter altogether. Nobody else is doing anything like this.

Quote:
and the flip-side, the sad trend of synths now just trying to sound like other synths.

Even with older tech like analog though, there's still room for innovation. Hell, I think the Minibrute is a great example of that.
Given the prices in the second hand market that's not entirely surprising. But they can only copy so much at some point things have to start moving on again. I think we're starting to see things beginning to happen in the analogue market, the Boomstars are not direct copies of anything and the Minibrute has brought in ideas from the modular world. Even the SubPhatty has a new sound (for a Moog).

I think we'll see some relaunches from the big guys, but what Korg do next could be really interesting ...an MS-30?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
And my fingers are out of breath. heh
You can also FM the distortion. How many synths can do that? Are there any?

I have no idea what that's going to sound like.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➡️
I think we'll see some relaunches from the big guys, but what Korg do next could be really interesting ...an MS-30?
I know that a lot of people here are pulling for an MS-50, as well as the sequencer. An MS-30 or 80 or whatever that incorporated all of the above, especially if it's full sized, would have my interest too. Or the extra modules, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➡️
You can also FM the distortion. How many synths can do that? Are there any?

I have no idea what that's going to sound like.
Oh good grief... I hadn't even thought of that. Talk about being able to modulate anything! This thing is INSANE!!

Gah, I should get back to programming and quit goofing off... dreaming, lusting, etc...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️

-a
The only thing special about the minibrute is that it's cheap, it doesn't innovate anything
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican ➡️
The only thing special about the minibrute is that it's cheap, it doesn't innovate anything
gimme a break
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo ➡️
replies to mails promptly, is open to suggestions as much as I am. should feel privileged to have access - instrument that is wonderful, and to be able to communicate with directly...
this describes my experience with DSI to a T.

by the way, everyone has specific needs and desires- my main reason for liking the DSI products i have is that i have certain requirements for playing live- DSI fulfills those requirements with the Prophet 08 and Tempest i own. in my experience their customer service has been second to none.

and just to illustrate w/anecdotal evidence (it's so ubiquitous here at gearslutz, i must do the same ), every GRP A4 / A8 demonstration i've heard has been what i would describe as harsh, buzzy and a bit screechy (...quite like the minibrute...). no doubt it is a VERY powerful synth, but i have heard absolutely nothing that made me want it- only the spec sheet makes me want it. besides, i don't see me taking one onstage, and if i were going for something like that, the doepfer and synthesizer.com demos have been more to my liking. doesn't mean GRP don't make a worthy synth. and in GRP's defense, the Prophet 08 (and Tempest) demos have been simply wretched and pretty much contemptible. still, i got one a couple of years back, and once i programmed it up, it sounds like a dream. dreamboat city. as in, i'm pretty sure most people on youtube know absolutely nothing about programming synthesizers. so GRP might very well be simply stunning, like Farrah Fawcett circa 1977. strangely enough, every Jupiter 4, Arp Odyssey, and Macbeth synthesizer demo i've ever heard sounds amazing, so make of that what you will.

but i have heard absolutely nothing that anyone has said about prophet 08 that changes my position about it being a worthy synth. it is a worthy synth. proves itself everytime i turn it on. as a company, DSI exemplifies everything that is right w/ the industry to me, so i see no reason to believe anything other than this: prophet 12 is a worthy synthesizer.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
i'm pretty sure most people on youtube know absolutely nothing about programming synthesizers.
This is true. I believe that's one reason why Jexus' videos are so highly watched. I can count on one hand the number of people making YouTube synth demos that are even remotely interesting. If I see one more video of some guy clicking through factory presets I'll break something.

That said I'm surprised that DSI hasn't begun heavily promoting the P12 with more YouTube demos. Perhaps it's because the OS isn't complete. They should ship one over to Jexus or Katsunori UJIIE so we could hear what the synth is truly capable of.

Most of the demos I've heard so far aren't completely thrilling but there are only about 4 out there where you can actually hear the instrument. So I'm waiting patiently for better demos and a hands-on at a shop.

One unrelated question I have is, do we know the street price? Is $3k the MSRP with street a bit lower? Or is that wishful thinking on my part?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican ➡️
I'm going to have to eat a few words.

The MiniBrute, like the interesting synths zahush76 mentioned, is perfect for the popular E-dance music of today. It has a rather buzzy-squelchy Steiner-Parker filter which gives it a character nothing else does, though it is pretty good at giving you that 303-ish burp sound. And I heard enough demos of it to think it probably wasn't for me, like most of zahush's listing.

Like Charles Chocula, I'm after a certain sound in my synths. Going back and listening to the GRP demos, I feel a little friendlier to it than he does, but I kind of agree. Especially for the price, assuming they were still selling anything, it's just not what I'm looking for. The MFB demos I've heard for the Dominion 5 polysynth leave me cold too. It sounds like a Prophet 600, which I didn't get along with too well. It was a serious "sweet spot synth" kind of like the Pro One, and it just wouldn't give me what a Prophet 5 would with ease.

I understand that the Curtis sound isn't universally well received either. But like Mr Chocula, my experience with the Prophet 08 was very good. It's not as beefy as a vintage analog, or some of them anyway. It does remind me of certain aspects of the Matrix-12, though clearly more limited. But I'm puzzled why some folk just don't like it. Though I have to remind myself where I'm at, a place where some people can't stand the Andromeda! Go figure.

So, take an already good sounding synth, beef it up all out of reason, and in a way that gives it a shade of its own character, and I'm pretty much sold on it. Leave it to Dave to bring out the big guns at a level no one thought possible. If I can afford this beast, I should be in happy land like Chocula, programming my fingers off.

On the price thing, everyone in the States I've seen has it at $2999 US.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
there is a big difference between:

a) Mister X with a funny nickname and an appalling haircut, his whole career spanning 5 years, pockets full of easy money, not exactly a musician, rather a producer, uses Syntesizer X.

I wanna make money quick and become famous and get laid, I will buy Synthesizer X.

Ok, now I detune synthesizer X: then what?

b) Mister Y, Piano, keyboard and synth player of 30 or 40 years, has lived through 3 or 4 ages of technology, has had instruments built on specifications for him,

is not a easy spender, just uses two or three signature instruments,

gigs with a coda piano and ONE synthesizer.

Well, he just bought a Korg Oasys (or a prophet, or a kurzweil pc3k) and daily gigs with it.

It is indeed an expensive professional tool.

Should I consider the possibility that that's a good instrument, since such a musician chose it ?

Let me chat about it, test it in person, see if it's just an endorsement scam or a meaningful choice.

I see two very different patterns here.
There are:
- Musicians that can play 400 instruments, since 1483 BC, and still make boring crappy music that would make elevators run away.
- Musicians that can only operate a mouse & keyboard, and make awesome music doing that.
* And the other way around.
* And a lot of variations in-between.
>> And then there are Gearslutz-members that are jealous/frustrated and/or more conservative than a can of beans. Sometimes they use pwetty colours to emphasize their need for polarisation.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i'm pretty sure most people on youtube know absolutely nothing about programming synthesizers.
On the other hand: making a video of someone programming some button/menu driven synth would be quite boring. See for yourself: Kawai K1: warming up - YouTube (I made this one, and primarily for soundcloud actually)
📝 Reply