DSI Prophet 12 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
Tempest has two analog DCO and two digital oscillators and has LPF and non-resonant HPF.
Didn't know that. HPF has to be post VCA then in Tempest. Still, my bet is that P12 is 4 DSP oscs and new filters.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've had:

desktop Evolver
Poly Evolver keys
Prophet 08 keys
Mopho Keys (which I still have)

And from the YouTube, this doesn't sound much like the Evolvers or Prophet. There's some of the character of the Mopho, but, overall, the basic tone of this sounds "bigger" and more "bouncy". Not a huge difference, but I can tell there's more liveliness to the sound.
VST
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
Holy phhhaarrrrkk!

This has got to be one of the best years for analogue synthesizers in ages.
Well we're only 24 days in

Seriously though..killer board.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yawn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't see one of my favorite features of the Evolver/Prophet line: the step sequencers.

I'm glad they added an arp, which I much prefer over a step sequencer in terms of modulating pitch, but I love having the step sequencers for modulating other parameters. Hopefully the arp will act as a modulation source as well.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister ➑️
I've had:

desktop Evolver
Poly Evolver keys
Prophet 08 keys
Mopho Keys (which I still have)

And from the YouTube, this doesn't sound much like the Evolvers or Prophet. There's some of the character of the Mopho, but, overall, the basic tone of this sounds "bigger" and more "bouncy". Not a huge difference, but I can tell there's more liveliness to the sound.

I'm with you. I did kept my dEvo and moKey and I want this one now!

I do think it'll be a good DSI family..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Alright, i think it's time to start saving up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How do you think this will compare to the andromeda :o

Prophet 08 was not quite there as a contender for a battleship AnaPoly but this....this is getting close
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Expensive? Really??? It's 3000 for twelve voices.....!!!!! Full size keyboard, tons of knobs
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, that new synth seems to have silk screen printed graphics on its surface. Something a little unusual nowadays for smaller companies like DSI...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
it looks like something out of TRON
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape ➑️
How do you think this will compare to the andromeda :o

Prophet 08 was not quite there as a contender for a battleship AnaPoly but this....this is getting close
Dunno if there's much to compare. Andromeda was fully analog; the P12 seems like it may be a digital/analog hybrid.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Big bet on digital oscillators. Makes sense with the signal flow, plus 48 analog oscillators is too many to fit in that case and for that price, IMHO.

That is fine though, analog filters are where a lot of the analog character dwells.

Sounds good and looks good.

Could be a winner, I hope they sell a lot of them! I'm still married to my Jupiter 6 though :-)

But if they made a sampler along the same lines... mmm I'd be tempted to trade in my Emax!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'll keep my P08R & PER thank you very much... Good to see DSI bringing the new though... If it's different enough and a desktop/rack is announced down the road, then maybe
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
A couple of the sounds in the demo sounded P'08ish, but the rest, not so much. I wonder if that's more due to the filter, though.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz ➑️
Big bet on digital oscillators. ..
Yea, the first patch in the video led me to intuitively conclude it was the same oscillators as my old P8. Hearing it again, I'm thinking it could be a true hybrid, all digital oscs.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
omfg...

Moog goes smaller, DSI goes BIGGER
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lmao at the scotch bottle and shot glass in the background in Dave's first presentation
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
Dunno if there's much to compare. Andromeda was fully analog; the P12 seems like it may be a digital/analog hybrid.
from Sound On Sound:

"the Andromeda 16-Voice Real Analogue Synthesizer (as they call it) is not a real analogue synthesizer β€” at least, not completely. Huge chunks of its architecture are digital, and I'm not only referring to the digital effects, the microprocessor-controlled operating system, or even the memories. No... the controllers in the sound-generation system β€” the envelopes, the LFOs, and the Sample & Hold β€” are all digital, as is the oscillator tuning (although not the oscillators themselves). This makes the Andromeda a hybrid analogue/digital synth, much like, for example, the Sequential Prophet T8. However, the signal path is analogue."
VST
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I just don't see DSI making this a non-analog synth. I'm thinking 2 ana, 2 digi per voice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, great. I bought my Prophet 08 new less than 6 months ago..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Whatever the architecture, it's a very powerful sounding instrument ; there's double the width of the Poly Evo and the Prophet 08 in that video. Really exciting news.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
that answers the question which polyphonic analog synth I want.
Oh my oh my oh my.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So is it time to start the P12 vs Waldorf Q+ thread yet?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Take my kidney, Dave! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pym made a statement on the DSI forum that all four oscillators are the same. We'll need him to chime in an give us a definitive answer. But for now I'm assuming that all four are digital (not DCO).

Maybe it doesn't make a difference in the sound that comes out, but I was hoping it would have two analog and two digital oscs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents ➑️
So is it time to start the P12 vs Waldorf Q+ thread yet?
Right after the P12 vs A6 one.

Not into this new prophet sound myself but plenty of peeps who are GASsed right now I guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree ➑️
Pym made a statement on the DSI forum that all four oscillators are the same. We'll need him to chime in an give us a definitive answer. But for now I'm assuming that all four are digital (not DCO).

Maybe it doesn't make a difference in the sound that comes out, but I was hoping it would have two analog and two digital oscs.
I would assume that since the tempest and the prophet 12 are going to share at least a lot of the OS, they might also have the same 2 DCO and 2 digital oscillator layout? right?
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz ➑️
Big bet on digital oscillators. Makes sense with the signal flow, plus 48 analog oscillators is too many to fit in that case and for that price, IMHO.
Doesn't matter really since the DCOs in the Prophet 08 were under full digital control anyway. Means the timer was driven digital and no analog current to drive the pitch was generated. Doubt you would hear much differences between a full digital and the DCO design in the 08 when resolution is large enough.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree ➑️

That was the architecture of the poly evolver ; yet it sounds twice as powerful as the poly evolver ; and that's just from the first video.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➑️
Doesn't matter really since the DCOs in the Prophet 08 were under full digital control anyway. Means the timer was driven digital and no analog current to drive the pitch was generated. Doubt you would hear much differences between a full digital and the DCO design in the 08 when resolution is large enough.
Right, it doesn't really matter. A lot of the character from an analog oscillator would come from the drift due to circuits warming up etc that you wouldn't get from a dco anyway. The rest of the "analog" sound would come from the filter.
πŸ“ Reply