DSI Prophet 12 - Page 29 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
such a great sounding synthesizer!!!
such a great UI!!
the art of making synths is back!! props to DSI MOOG, and SE!!

King korg sounds like a joke next to this..

just hurry up and make a rack,
huge market, many(most) of us gig, have studios and are not keyboardist...
I´ll buy a rack in a heartbeat!
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➡️
Dave Smith said "Analog FM is unstable."
Usually he is right i suppose. But try out analog FM with the Vermona perFOURmer!!

I am quite sure that the Prophet 12 is a great instrument. A big step!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The more I look at, it the more I find it close to the Tempest. It seems like two Tempest in one box. The only differences, so far, is 4 digital oscillators instead of 2 analog and 2 digital. The wavetables morphing, even though you can have something a little bit similar with the Osc1/Osc2 mix and the Mod paths on the Tempest.
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I was wondering how the DSI instruments could link together.

If the lack of analog oscillators come to be a huge downside for the Prophet 12... would it be possible to link a Tetra (rack) to the Pro12, and take advantage of the Pro12's features with analog oscillators?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ultracool synth. By the time I can afford it, it will probably become vintage From the demos, it's got exactly the tone I would like to have in a poly synth. Love it!
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The digital side is WAY different than the Tempest. Much more powerful, way more features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip ➡️
The more I look at, it the more I find it close to the Tempest. It seems like two Tempest in one box. The only differences, so far, is 4 digital oscillators instead of 2 analog and 2 digital. The wavetables morphing, even though you can have something a little bit similar with the Osc1/Osc2 mix and the Mod paths on the Tempest.
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➡️
The digital side is WAY different than the Tempest. Much more powerful, way more features
Thanks for the info
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Does this have cv input/output guys?
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Strange that Dave didn't include delay to be a part of the feedback loop.

This would open doors for physical modelling and all sorts of crazy sounds.
my idea exactly.

those delays scream for creative use
Old 7th February 2013
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Strange that Dave didn't include delay to be a part of the feedback loop.

This would open doors for physical modelling and all sorts of crazy sounds.
Wouldn't that add another ADDA stage in the process??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➡️
Not according to the updated signal diagram on CDM. There's an ADC after the HPF, which then branches to both the feedback gain and the delay. In theory the delay could then be sent back into the feedback loop either pre or post feedback gain without another conversion required.

I think?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➡️
There's already an AD/DA stage in the feedback loop. The delays are digital, as are the oscillators, so it should be possible in theory to include the delays digitally without an additional AD/DA stage beyond what is there already.

But then I guess it depends on "where" in the loop the delay would be added.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 ➡️
That article (the signal flow diagram in particular) suggests that the delay lines in the Prophet 12 are analog. This can't be right, can it? 48 BBD chips in this thing? No...
Is it possible you're colourblind? Serious Q, because everything digital in that diagram is blue including the delays, and everything analogue is orange.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➡️
Is it possible you're colourblind? Serious Q, because everything digital in that diagram is blue including the delays, and everything analogue is orange.
fyi i think the article was updated
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➡️
fyi i think the article was updated
True.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have to admit that I'm bad with colours (sometimes when I get my daughter dressed for the day my wife asks me the same question), but in this case the article was indeed updated after I made that post you're referring to. See post #841 where Pym confirms my original suspicions.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 ➡️
Sometimes when I get my daughter dressed for the day my wife asks me if I'm color blind
you could probably be a closet heterosexual.

Did you by chance buy a bike to your daughter? Did you ever have her listen to records you loved when a kid?
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haha it's all good, no offence intended It's easy to forgot how easily the information on the internet is manipulated!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Haha it's all good, no offence intended It's easy to forgot how easily the information on the internet is manipulated!
None taken sir, all good here. Given that this is a forum on the internet I thought your question was rather polite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
you could probably be a closet heterosexual.
Haha I had a feeling something was up when I did that whole fall-in-love-with-and-marry-a-woman song and dance. But now that you've put it that way, I feel like I finally know myself.

But back to the important stuff...the Prophet 12 sure looks like an amazing synth. I'm a big fan of the ESQ-1 and for the past couple of years I've been dreaming of an updated, knob-laden take on the same (or similar) architecture. Then along comes the Prophet 12. Thank you synth gods. Thank you.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
True. But even though "Massive" is the answer for nr. 1 and "Sylenth1" is the answer for nr. 2, those are by far not as iconic. Even a Nord Lead 2 would be more iconic for the simple fact that you can post a red keyboard with some knobs seen from the back with white letters and have people say "hey, that's a Nord", mostly because it's also used and visible on the stage.

Besides having a handful of synths they became icons because they appeared in literature and on the screen over and over and over again, in various angles, played by various people instead of flat screenshots played by various DAWs.

What I'm saying is, if you want to make something iconic, better show that glowing twelve over and over again in any place you can, if you want it to join the pantheon. Moog knows and exploits this masterfully; all the rears of their synths have the logo printed on it, huge, and the silhouette forms an immediate hint on what you're dealing with.

edit: to the point where I'd just smack 3 big white/silver futuristic letters "DSI" on the back, perhaps styled a bit like DMC on a DeLorean. Oberheim has the musical note Kool-Aid man, Moog has the lowercase sans-serif "moog" with the note, DSI could think of something similar. It's not even a gimmick; it'd just mean that buying a unit from someone who had to perform on TV means cleaning up gaffa tape.
I apologize for being of topic, but to address your stage presence comment of the Nord compared to massive etc I had a flash back to Tangerine Dream's performance at last years Bluesfest in Ottawa Canada. A Nord lead was being used on stage and every time Massive or Sylenth1 was used, they would have it displayed up on the 2 big LCD screens on stage as well. I instantly recognized them. Amazing show btw!
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want to return to the "iconic" thing Yoozer discussed. I meant it in a different way than being flaunted on stage and becoming the new source of fiber.

What I meant was in music, an instrument which produced some curious new sounds that made you want to find out what someone used to do that. A number of synths did that. Minimoog, ARP 2600, Prophet 5, Jupiter-8, DX7, D-50, PPG Wave, Wavestation, K2000... there is quite a list of distinctive synths that weren't necessarily on stage, but in a piece of music, the keyboard players had to know what the synth was because it clearly did something the others didn't.

Since the advent of the rompler and VA, this has been more rare. In fact, the goal has become to provide as wide a spectrum of sound as possible. The ultimate examples are the OASYS, Kronos and Jupiter-80, which they do extremely well.

But it's about time that a synthesizer came along which is more focused but powerful, with the potential to deliver unique timbres like synths did in the old days. Another CS-80 or ARP Chroma. And this is as close as I've seen in a long time. I keep saying that the Prophet 12 is a synth that will be what you make of it, because it has so many tools in the box - four oscillators and a SUB?? And those dual resonant filters. The insane number of modulators and how they can be routed. As Dave says, everything can modulate everything. This is practically a Prophet modular. And you can instantly layer the thing, because an entire patch is lying under the primary one. Layer them, and you can still play six note chords.

It's not creamy smooth like a Moog, but like the P08, it has it's own version of smooth. And like I said, it is good to sound like yourself, rather than be a vintage toybox that tries to sound like everyone else. What you do with this monster is entirely up to you, and what you can imagine.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rackmount with lower price please
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
What I meant was in music, an instrument which produced some curious new sounds that made you want to find out what someone used to do that. A number of synths did that. Minimoog, ARP 2600, Prophet 5, Jupiter-8, DX7, D-50, PPG Wave, Wavestation, K2000... there is quite a list of distinctive synths that weren't necessarily on stage, but in a piece of music, the keyboard players had to know what the synth was because it clearly did something the others didn't.

But it's about time that a synthesizer came along which is more focused but powerful, with the potential to deliver unique timbres like synths did in the old days.
While I agree with you I think it's MUCH harder these days for a new synth to do something that's unique. There have been so many synths (especially if we include softies) and wavetables+analogue filters have been done before, right?

I am sure this synth will be awesome (and I'm getting one unless I'm disappointed after testing), but I'm not so sure it will have a unique sound and impact like some classic synths did (the DX7/JP8 for example).

It will "merely" be a massively powerful and cool synth, and that's enough for me.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
Rackmount with lower price please
This ^. Rackable desktop, like P08.
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis ➡️
I am sure this synth will be awesome (and I'm getting one unless I'm disappointed after testing), but I'm not so sure it will have a unique sound and impact like some classic synths did (the DX7/JP8 for example).
When you get down to it, there weren't that many truly unique synths made in the 70s through the 90s.

In analog, you had the Minimoog, the ARP 2600 the Oberheims and CS-80. Everything else was kind of variations on the theme, whether it's the Prophet, Jupiters, Synthex, Poly-61, Trident... many of them even use the same chips. And I know just about any 30 year old analog is some kind of legend, but how many of these dozens of legends are you guys able to live without? Evidently a lot of them. Very few of you are like Dirty Halo with a literal analog museum of old synthesizers. If you have a Mini D, Oberheim SEM or ARP 2600, how many polysynths do you HAVE to have to do what you want? Especially with all the affordable VAs and softies available to fill in blanks of the sound spectrum?

With hybrids, you had the PPG Wave synths and Prophet VS which was cool but a little strange - I was lost at coming up with musical ways to use those odd waveforms when I did have access to one.

With the digital guys, you have the Fairlights, Synclaviers, D-50, DX7s, Wavestation, Kurzweils and Fizmo.

There were tons of worthy synths released through this time, like the ARP Chroma, DW8000, and a boatload of samplers and romplers. Softsynths are a bad example because you have a steady stream of sameness with them, and the only thing to differentiate them - to me - is whether they're emulating some vintage analog, or are weird and wonderful beasties like Omnisphere.

Lately, the only synthesizers which really stick out as unique are the Arturia MiniBrute and the Dave Smith synths. I know everyone is wetting themselves over the MS-20 Mini, but that's basically a reissue of something 40 years old. The MFB Dominion 5 sounds to me like a Prophet 600 with an extra oscillator which to me is okay, but I'm not fond of the filter character of either.

I can make cool patches on anything, but the P12 has the potential to make sounds for me that nothing else will, even with things available like the Solaris, Kronos and Jupiter-80.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sounds and looks amazing, really looking forward to trying this!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If under 800 Dollar a 6-voice multi-timbral rack version would be very welcomed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar ➡️
If under 800 Dollar a 6-voice multi-timbral rack version would be very welcomed.
I would purchase this immediately, if not sooner.

Especially if there were various multimodes that allowed round robin polyphony of six distinct patches.

I'd prefer desktop over rack, however.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar ➡️
I'd be happy with an $800 mono or duo desktop as a next-gen Evolver. ("Evolved"?) The Tetra is more than 800.
📝 Reply