Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 19 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can you please expand about delay lines: can they be used within the synthesis chain (for pseudo physical modeling)?
no, they're after the analog chain of vcf/vca but they are per voice, so there's 4 delays per voice. It's sort of brute force way of doing it but it's very simple and intuitive. Instant.
The filter(s) sound very good. I do prefer the discrete/ota based multimode filter like the old oberheim stuff but they're very useable and sound good. I asked if they were the same as the other DSI synths and they said they are exactly the same except they opened up an octave on the top end to give more range. I talked to Tony from DSI for quite a bit of time and I could tell he was genuinely pleased w/ the P12. He's been around the block and it's easy to get jaded but I could tell he and the other engineers are very happy with the P12. I think they did a good job w/ the feature set in not trying to add too much, and what is there is very well laid out. The oscillators sound fine from what I recall but I do wish I spent even more time with them. The hack and decimation sound great. The analog distortion on the output is good. It's more overdriven than full on distortion... it's not full on tons of gain and noisy and all that. As I said in my previous post it's a performance synth straight up. It's easy to do whatever you want, the controls are laid out very well are tons of space around them, the left-hand controls are awesome and not gimmicky in any way. Even the OLED display which must be a costly part of the BOM is so easy to see and the perfect size.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➑️
As I mentioned above, we're trying to move away from the old style of wavetable synthesis and are doing something different than the classics. We're doing the first style you mention; Each wavetable can blend into two other waveforms depending on the direction you turn the shapemod knob. This gives extremely clean modulation between different waveforms. The final behavior hasn't been set yet, so I don't know whether we'll allow the user to pick which waveforms or not. It's more of a UI issue than anything else.

There are so many modulation options for the waveforms you'll have a lot of options you didn't have before to change the waveform on the fly... FM, AM, sync, slop, shape mod... and you can modulate your modulator to make it even more nuts. And of course it's always possible we'll add some more later with software updates.

The highpass filter is similar to the Tempest, but with resonance: 12dB/Oct 2 pole filter
This may be a dumb question but does the bit crush and bit rate nobs work on the original wave form? If not can it be routed to the original wave? Many people are big fans of low-fi wave samples.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Might be the first DSI for me. Looks great, look forward to the online demos.
Watching his enthusiasm in these Namm presentations for this instrument I definitely have great admiration for Dave Smith and what he's up to.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This prophet 12 looks amazing and you are right Dave Smith looks very proud of this synth
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
I really REALLY wish Dave didn't feel like almost EVERY freaking patch needed two cranks of distortion. What is he, a closet metal head?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto ➑️
i think he thinks that that's what the customer wants these days.
No, I actually think that's what he's into!

I've never met him personally, but as I said earlier in the thread I think Dave Smith is a cool dude.

He grew up in San Francisco and studied computer science and electronic engineering at UC Berkeley in the late 60s/early 70s. Even a computer science geek would benefit from being in such a hip environment.

He's probably a stoner (or ex-stoner), has taken acid, likes the Grateful Dead -- in short, the kind of guy I would like designing my synths!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
No, I actually think that's what he's into!

I've never met him personally, but as I said earlier in the thread I think Dave Smith is a cool dude.

He grew up in San Francisco and studied computer science and electronic engineering at UC Berkeley in the late 60s/early 70s. Even a computer science geek would benefit from being in such a hip environment.

He's probably a stoner (or ex-stoner), has taken acid, likes the Grateful Dead -- in short, the kind of guy I would like designing my synths!

I'll second that and add, I have met him (won't claim to call him a close friend or anything) and can honestly say... He designs synths that are his passion... what we get is what he sees as art, his vision and we benefit.

Rare trait.

If only more instruments were created with this heart.

Some of his synths will be for you, others notm that's cool... but ALL are an uncompromised work of a man who lives and breathes the very things we love.

I think that is a very cool thing!

-andrews
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So any chance for a rack/desktop module or, ideally, a 3-octave keyboard version??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like this synth. Had a good listen to it today and a nice chat with the DSI guys about it. They did a really super job on a lot of levels. High five, DSI team!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
Rare trait.
The rarest is probably being a combination of:

- engineer
- entrepreneur
- musician

Ticking two of the boxes is already hard enough, let alone three.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
Along with Dr. Robert Moog and Tom Oberheim, Dave Smith is my favorite synth designer. I'm a proud owner of his three babies: P-1, P-5, VS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
This may be a dumb question but does the bit crush and bit rate nobs work on the original wave form? If not can it be routed to the original wave? Many people are big fans of low-fi wave samples.
Just clearing this out before Pym responds:

What do you mean by original wave form?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think pre-filter, as an effect acting on the DSP generating the waveform data?
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➑️
I don't understand.
let me rephrase it:

changing filters (and amp) from digital to analogue,
adding substantial polyphony
using a specific sonic orientation (and boy, DSI has ITS own sound, different from OB or Moog or Roland or... Sequential)

is what makes a synth quite different from another.

Yes: as different as a toyota and a boeing. You need to measure differences upon the ESSENTIALS: if you look at sidepanels or number of keys, a VA and a hybrid can be "70% similar". If you look at the sound chain, they are two worlds apart.

I said "different", not "better".

You said "not different", not "equally good" - which could have been legitimate (true? I don't know. But logically acceptable)

What sense does it make to compare two synths whose differences start from one being a VA and the other being a hybrid?

The prophet12 is NOT a Accelerator. No way.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I know than Don Buchla was involved with the Merry Pranksters (of Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test fame), and Roger Linn was involved with Berkely life (think he still lives there) in the Sixties. Robert Moog was a bit of a straighter guy (in that he was married with kids when everyone else were tripping their brains out and being hipsters of the time), but he appears quite sympathetic to some of the prevailing ethos' of that time.
A bit of reading and it's interesting how much of synthesis, comic books (Crumb, Shelton), literature, and even science (Crick says he saw the structure of DNA while on acid), and other arts and disciplines I've not mentioned had a radical and weird expansion in those times.

Amost worth a thread of its own.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are the Digital FX per oscillator or per voice? (I get the impression they're per voice.)
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf ➑️
Are the Digital FX per oscillator or per voice? (I get the impression they're per voice.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azone ➑️
there's 4 delays per voice.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Im just going to come out and say it, this looks to be the greatest synth of our times. i cannot wait to get one. ITs everything I wanted my P'08 to be and 10x more. Im honestly not crazy about the aesthetics of the synth, but that isnt a deal breaker by any means. Im absolutely GIDDY thinking about it in my studio. DSI makes the best electronic music products imo. Dave is a modern day Maverick, just an outstanding innovator of product and current technology.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➑️
let me rephrase it:

changing filters (and amp) from digital to analogue,
adding substantial polyphony
using a specific sonic orientation (and boy, DSI has ITS own sound, different from OB or Moog or Roland or... Sequential)

is what makes a synth quite different from another.

Yes: as different as a toyota and a boeing. You need to measure differences upon the ESSENTIALS: if you look at sidepanels or number of keys, a VA and a hybrid can be "70% similar". If you look at the sound chain, they are two worlds apart.

I said "different", not "better".

You said "not different", not "equally good" - which could have been legitimate (true? I don't know. But logically acceptable)

What sense does it make to compare two synths whose differences start from one being a VA and the other being a hybrid?

The prophet12 is NOT a Accelerator. No way.
okay Ozy, you win.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnurp ➑️
Im honestly not crazy about the aesthetics of the synth, but that isnt a deal breaker by any means.
I really like the aesthetics as compared with the Mopho keyboards, and even the Poly Evolver.

That backlit 12 makes me smile a bit
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im just going to come out and say it, this looks to be the greatest synth of our times. i cannot wait to get one. ITs everything I wanted my P'08 to be and 10x more. Im honestly not crazy about the aesthetics of the synth, but that isnt a deal breaker by any means. Im absolutely GIDDY thinking about it in my studio. DSI makes the best electronic music products imo. Dave is a modern day Maverick, just an outstanding innovator of product and current technology.
Dave is peaking with this one!Most exciting Synth Analog release at the show.JD
Old 28th January 2013
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➑️
okay Ozy, you win.
Ozy must own an awfull amount of instruments and experience. He certainly must have access to the P12 to know all the insides!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Now I've read more and watched a few videos, I'm not so upset about this being launched 1 year after I got my P'08 (it's not as if I'd have saved the money, anyways!!).

It looks like quite a different synth under the hood, which would complement the older model beautifully.

And-are my eyes decieving me, or has the keyboard got an extra octave? (I've not stopped and counted the keys..!).

It actually looks like most things I'd love in a polysynth. It's got quite a round, rich sound to it, judging from the videos too.

Full respect to Dave Smith- he continues pushing his design.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It would be really cool if DSI stayed open to the idea of expanding the synthesis types. As long as they put the right amount of memory in there it looks like it could be easily done. There is a nice OLED screen with some context knobs above it to make programming pretty easy to boot. Maybe sweeping/selecting grains in a granular synth engine for example. When your oscillators are DSP chips you could do anything you want!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➑️
And-are my eyes decieving me, or has the keyboard got an extra octave? (I've not stopped and counted the keys..!).
Both have 61 keys but the P12 has the bender and modwheel next to the keys instead of on the top panel. This makes the case bigger but I think more people want the wheels to be on the side instead of on the top.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Just clearing this out before Pym responds:

What do you mean by original wave form?
To clarify, at what point in the chain do the 'air', 'decimate', etc. effects happen? Seems to me a bit crush or down sample of the original oscillator wave might be a useful tool. I'm imagining the Oto Biscuit when I ask this question, fyi.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Both have 61 keys but the P12 has the bender and modwheel next to the keys instead of on the top panel. This makes the case bigger but I think more people want the wheels to be on the side instead of on the top.
Aha. I wondered if that wasnit. I think wide angle lenses are adding to epic looks too!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 ➑️
It would be really cool if DSI stayed open to the idea of expanding the synthesis types. As long as they put the right amount of memory in there it looks like it could be easily done. There is a nice OLED screen with some context knobs above it to make programming pretty easy to boot. Maybe sweeping/selecting grains in a granular synth engine for example. When your oscillators are DSP chips you could do anything you want!
This is the exciting thing about this synth, while they will have to call it a day at some stage in the product cycle, it is possible they can add some more in the digital section, program memory allowing..

I would like to see super saws on the main OSC's with a good set of detuning by knob (per OSC and per layer) on top of any manual detuning per OSC when layering...

This synth has the nature to work well with those types of wave and it would significantly expand the types that may buy it helping sales...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im just going to come out and say it, this looks to be the greatest synth of our times.
Oh please.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
This is the exciting thing about this synth, while they will have to call it a day at some stage in the product cycle, it is possible they can add some more in the digital section, program memory allowing..

I would like to see super saws on the main OSC's with a good set of detuning by knob (per OSC and per layer) on top of any manual detuning per OSC when layering...

This synth has the nature to work well with those types of wave and it would significantly expand the types that may buy it helping sales...
Because they really did well in that aspect with tempest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hated the wood panels (always do), but it's growing on me more and more.

I'd be more inclined to buy if it was crammed into a 37 key body, it's hard for me to find room for 61 key beasts. Might be able to squeeze in one, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
To clarify, at what point in the chain do the 'air', 'decimate', etc. effects happen? Seems to me a bit crush or down sample of the original oscillator wave might be a useful tool. I'm imagining the Oto Biscuit when I ask this question, fyi.
In the NAMM videos, Dave indicates that the signal flow matches the panel layout. So the character effects would happen after the oscillator and before the filter.
πŸ“ Reply