Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 17 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The more I look at this synth the more I wish Wolfgang Palm would dip his feet back into hardware waters. He's brought back the PPG brand and his existing IOS stuff sounds brilliant.

I think Dave is brilliant but I'm not sure how I feel about this product. I have a Tempest and Mopho X4 and neither has been without it's problems. The Tempest is currently experiencing some kind of filter tuning issue and, I don't really want to be one of "those guys" but, I would have really liked to see Tempest OS a little more complete before bringing something that looks even more software involved into the picture.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by masstronaut ➑️
I wonder if they'll include a sarcasm detector?
For 3k?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Powerful - probably.
Creamy - not likely.
It's just the character of the curtis lowpass, and there's nothing you can do about that.
I've heard some good things come from a P08, so I guess "one man's creamy" and all that.

I liken this monster somewhat to a CS-80. It has raspy filters too, dual resonant LP-HP, 12db/oct. The model I fussed with got a little weird in the low frequency range unlike most other synths from other makers. But it had some juice to it too. Okay, this is a DSI synth with a DSI character, but as I said, I heard some really nice tones from a P08 and this is much more than a P08. This is another one of those synths that will blossom in the hands of the programmer in different ways with each owner. I have no doubt I'll get sounds out of it that will give it another character from someone else's P12.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Voltage ➑️
lots but in particular, Moog Voyager
where? because I would love to turn that bitch up!

all those synths have resonant low pass for sure...I'm not as sure about the resonant high pass as you are though.

i hope that envelope/lfo -> pan is included as a modulation option!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
I liken this monster somewhat to a CS-80.
It doesn't sound anything like a CS-80. Not even close.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All this power and you can't load your own data for the OSCs? Same as the Tempest...Why?

Has anybody pressed them on the filters? Their chip is a full synth correct? So it must be a new topology or they wasted the onboard OSCs?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➑️
The solaris may need the 96 kHz clock rate beause it has digital filters. Oscillators do not necessarily need it. Does somebody know the clock rate of Waldorf Microwave (or how does it work)? At least the wavetables are only 8 bit, but it sounds great. Lofi = musical.
Earlier in the thread Pym stated that the audio output rate at the DAC before the filters is at 44khz, but that, internally, the oscillators run at a faster rate.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Grandma or Prophet 12?

Im thinking about selling my Grandmother who I like but the new Prophet 12 has me tempted....

The good thing about Grandma is that she sits reassuringly in the corner knitting in her chair and might come in handy when I decide to have kids.

On the other hand the Prophet 12 has a full 12 voices going through analogue filters, and the character effects - which is quite cool.

What do you think?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Powerful - probably.
Creamy - not likely.
It's just the character of the curtis lowpass, and there's nothing you can do about that.
Unless you happen to have a resonant hi-pass...

The Moog filters produce some harmonic content that the curtis is missing. You should be able to add it by using the hi-pass.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Grandmas smell weird. I'm holding out to see what the Prophet 12 smells like.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It doesn't sound anything like a CS-80. Not even close.
Dude. Didn't say it sounds like a CS-80. Read my post again. This place is like talking to a bunch of women sometimes who parse every word to correct you, kind of like being on The (we know more than you) View...

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
your grandma is no good for looking after your kids. too old.. just sell it and replace that with your mother.. and have the pro12.. then you get real help with the kids, butter in the fridge, nice dinner, wicked evolving pads, and 98% less stale wee smell.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't sell grandma before knowing how much cash and bling she has saved under her old bed...
True story...I was like 5 yes old scanning my grandmas room and man the boxes of cash I saw I think scarred me to this date..lol..yours may have an old P5 in there too
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild ➑️
Grandmas smell weird. I'm holding out to see what the Prophet 12 smells like.
We need a "new car smell" for synths! I am sure it will work great for grandmas too.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You should all consider yourselves lucky.

All my grandparents are dead, so I definitely can't sell them now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➑️

Sell the corpses to medical science.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thanks for the replies. Its funny because everyone in my family has been all 'Grandma Grandma Grandma'...but over the years the advice Ive got through GS always seems to come out on point...

I might just say tho that my Grandma does not smell of wee - which I think adds to her value. If anyone is interested - shoot me a PM.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Mine too. But I'm sure that in about 1984 I would have sold my grandmother for about half of the equipment that I own today.

D.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Im thinking about selling my Grandmother
Will you consider shipping to Nigeria? My PayPal's down ATM but if your open to trades i'll pay half cash plus throw my slightly weathered cross dressing uncle......does a great tarot read.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diel ➑️
i'll pay half cash plus throw my slightly weathered cross dressing uncle......does a great tarot read.
Oh is he the Lagos Prophet?
I think the preference clearly is Voodoo types. Not Tarot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire ➑️
Sell the corpses to medical science.

They're probably half way to becoming oil by now.

Wait, that's valuable.....
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
They're probably half way to becoming oil by now.

Wait, that's valuable.....
good point. you could exhume them even if they are partially decomposed - and see what you can get.

Prophet 12 might be out of reach but the new miniMS20 is only $600.

Im really glad Grandma is still alive.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➑️
Oh is he the Lagos Prophet?
I think the preference clearly is Voodoo types. Not Tarot.
Felt I was already walking on some sterotype thin ice with the scammer but yea....he can cure your ills and turn your enemy's in to a mountain lions clinker

Or that ugly guy from the cantina....whichever is worse
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thread merge diluted the joke...:(

grandma thread liquified.

Anyway Ive listened to more demos of the Prophet 12 and decided to give it a miss because it has that DSI sound to it Im not sure about.

Also - Ive found that if I set up a mic and then nudge her rocking chair - I can get this sort of croak out of Grandma that I think might be quite useful - once Ive pitched it up with melodyne.

So Im keeping Grandma after all. Thanks for the advice.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➑️
  • 4 Oscillators per voice capable of classic and complex waveforms
    • Low alias digital oscillators of several flavors: tri, saw, pulse, sine, noise and 4 wavetable based sources
    • Oscillator params: FM, AM, Sync, Level, Pitch (Coarse+Fine), extended slop algorithm, shape, shape mod/pulsewidth
  • Sub oscillator
  • Shape Mod/Pulsewidth control changes based on oscillator type:
    • Pulse and Tri - Pulsewidth control
    • Saw - Supersaw effect (note: not complete in NAMM units)
    • Noise - Pink on the left, White in the middle, Blue/Violet on the right
    • Wavetables - Blends between 3 different waveforms, one on the left, one in the middle, one on the right
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
thread merge diluted the joke...:(

grandma thread liquified.

Anyway Ive listened to more demos of the Prophet 12 and decided to give it a miss because it has that DSI sound to it Im not sure about.

Also - Ive found that if I set up a mic and then nudge her rocking chair - I can get this sort of croak out of Grandma that I think might be quite useful - once Ive pitched it up with melodyne.

So Im keeping Grandma after all. Thanks for the advice.
I guess I'm too late with advice; but in case you are more ambivalent than it would appear:

Take Grandma for a ride in the country, maybe gig with her once or twice and see if that old vintage magic is still there.

If not, dump the old lady for a sweet looking young hybrid and don't look back.

Remember, at this point kit like your Grandma is likely to depreciate exponentially depending on her bone density and cognitive functioning.

(This may not be an issue for you if you are using her primarily for studio work)

Also, is she still continent of bowel and bladder?

That's a factor as well.

(Although I've seen incontinent grandparents with very low bone density and moderate dementia go as high as 3000 - 3500 USD on the bay of late.)

Good luck with your final decision and please let us know how it turned out!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Regarding Moog Voyager high pass filter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
where? because I would love to turn that bitch up!

all those synths have resonant low pass for sure...I'm not as sure about the resonant high pass as you are though.
Use the 'Mode' switch and the 'Spacing' knob in the Voyager's filter section to control it's highpass filter.

To make it resonant do the following (quoted from the Voyager Q & A at http://www.midiwall.com/gear/voyager/faq.html). "If you're looking to make the HP filter resonant, then try the basic old Minimoog feedback trick, with a twist. Split the signal coming off of the _RIGHT_ jack (the HP filter will show up there), and feed it back into the External Audio Input."
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
"3. Is the highpass filter resonant?
No, it's not."

the feedback trick is good to know though. AAAANNNNYYYYway, carry on...lets just say the synths that I have don't have easily resonant high pass filters
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
I guess I'm too late with advice; but in case you are more ambivalent than it would appear:

Take Grandma for a ride in the country, maybe gig with her once or twice and see if that old vintage magic is still there.

Good luck with your final decision and please let us know how it turned out!
Thanks thats a good idea in theory - but I think because she is vintage it might be a bad idea to take her to a gig...one of the plus points to the Prophet...

Quote:
(Although I've seen incontinent grandparents with very low bone density and moderate dementia go as high as 3000 - 3500 USD on the bay of late.)
Wow thats not bad...considering they must have been pretty decrepit...I have to admit it is tempting-and I had not thought of advertising bone density or dementia level...I think I could get easy 4500...I just had a chat with her and she was lucid enough to ask me what a Prophet 12 was...

Thing is - Im really getting into this 'croak' stuff...if I wait until she is about to fall asleep and then give her a poke - with some drive I think it could be the new Skrillex style sound...

I think I owe it to myself to test this new sound before selling her off...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
"3. Is the highpass filter resonant?
No, it's not."

the feedback trick is good to know though. AAAANNNNYYYYway, carry on...lets just say the synths that I have don't have easily resonant high pass filters
As been mentioned before, there are plenty of analog synths with resonant highpass filter.
But since you didn't write "analog resonant highpass", but simply "resonant highpass filter" - i can tell you there are a plethora of resonant highpass filters in virtual analogs, vst and the lot.
πŸ“ Reply