Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 15 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What pisses me off about the Solar is that nobody has one for me to try. I kinda want one, but while I've heard all the demos online and they (mostly) seem promising, I need to sit down with one and spend some time with it before I make that kind of "investment." I'll be in New York for a few short days in February, please tell me that place has at least one store with Solaris on the floor that I could demo?
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
On the other hand, the digital oscilators on the solaris gives you the classic waveshapes, along with all the prophet vs waveshapes (which seem to be missing from the prophet 12) with a vector mixer and a joystick, all 64 wavetables from the microwave, samples, some morphing waveshapes (smoothly go from tri to saw and that sort of stuff, kind of like on the voyager).
And... if i may... i think (from the little i've heard the P12, and from my personal experience of owning both P08 and polyevolver) - the solaris's digital filters sound bigger than the curtis lowpass.
Oh yes!

I didn't want to downplay Solaris' POWER! I understand, that the processing power is one thing, but what you do with it is another, more important thing. Solaris is awesome, I couldn't dream about better sound, and it is dazzlingly capable and complex(or should I rather say, versatile, as its user interface could be the best in the world, and makes its bewildering complexity simple to use.)

I was just rejoicing, that now we have another beast in the market, that has such potential.

And those people criticizing P12's cost via their 700€(launch price) PHONE, also pay something like $20 for a processor and 2/3 for air(R/D, programming, shipping, etc. etc. etc. profit).
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
There's not a whole lot of overlap between the P'08 and the new P12, so I wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy the P'08 for what the P'08 can do.
Yeah I can see that. P12 is an entirely new synth.

But I was *this close* to going for a Poly Evolver Keyboard, probably would've preferred it but the 4 voices was what finally put me off. If I'd waited I would be going for this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessboy ➑️
Yeah I can see that. P12 is an entirely new synth.

But I was *this close* to going for a Poly Evolver Keyboard, probably would've preferred it but the 4 voices was what finally put me off. If I'd waited I would be going for this.
On the upside, you said you bought used, so maybe you can resell it without losing any money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
A Virus TI costs $3k. No one is bitching about that
I bitch about it all the time. IMHO Virus TI2's cost about twice what they should (or at least twice what I would pay).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Yeah, those MIDI jacks cost DSI like $2.19 each.
You'd think Dave Smith would get a discount after inventing MIDI. That's gratitude for ya....

Sent from my PRO-ONE using knobs.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dave Smith is throwing new stuff out there consistently! Even though I'm not a big fan of the DSI sound I still think it's great. Good for him and all the people who put a lot of hard work in to this. I will be hearing this in person on Sunday and I can't wait. I have a good feeling about it for some reason.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
Why are people so freaking pissed about this?
I don't think it's really people being pissed. I think that it's more that Dave Smith tends to play fast and loose with the names.

For example his Mopho x4 is really a Tetra Keybord but he probably thinks the word Mopho is cooler so he used that.

This new Prophet 12 has more in common with the poly evolver than the prophet series but he probably thinks the name prophet is cooler.

I think if this had come out of the gate named the Poly-Evolver 12, which would have been much more accurate and correct, there wouldn't be so much bickering over the sound and source of the oscillators.

Regards,
Frank
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
there are just as many digital Prophets as analog ones
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
what about the Prophet VS though ?

and didn't the poly evo make up half digital and half analog.

just saying..

snapster
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I like the Solaris as an idea, in its sound, and in what it represents as an ambition about hardware synthesis, but I can't say I've heard the punch and weight of what I've heard of the Prophet 12 in it. The only recent synth I've heard with that sense of size is this, at about 8 times the price :

Schmidt Eightvoice Polyphonic Synthesizer video demo [Musikmesse 2011] - YouTube
No way the p12 is even comparable in sound. That Schmidt is on a different level. Can you seriously not tell by the demo you posted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➑️
I don't think it's really people being pissed. I think that it's more that Dave Smith tends to play fast and loose with the names
Not sure I agree here, but even if he's doing so, it's hardly the level of Roland with their modern day Junos, SHs and Jupiters.

Ultimately he makes them, and he holds the rights to name them.

If he was that concerned with this kind of minutiae he could employ someone to sit on GS and run every detail/decision past forum members instead of having just Pym and the multitudes of useful info already provided.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
On the upside, you said you bought used, so maybe you can resell it without losing any money?
Yeah probably. But like you say it's a different synth entirely really. Feel I haven't had chance to get to know it....

I've also got a moog voyager on order which is taking forever to arrive. Almost tempted to tell them to do one and get a P12. But that really would be mental wouldn't it?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
there are just as many digital Prophets as analog ones
So perhaps Prophet VS 12 would have been a much better name?

Regards,
Frank
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➑️
No way the p12 is even comparable in sound. That Schmidt is on a different level. Can you seriously not tell by the demo you posted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

Hmm. .. I see weekend harmony is yet to break out on this thread.

As I have two vco polysynths and one wavetable synth sitting in the front of me to the left of my monitor, and have owned several others over the years, I should be able to tell pretty well. The first demos show the most powerful and forceful sound I've ever heard from a hybrid synth, approaching only that of a large VCO poly, which is why I made the comparison.

If you ever actually get to play this synth, or spend some time with an old wavetable, I have a feeling some of your certainties about this synth might suddenly start to strangely dissipate ...

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is ironic that this new Prophet comes out as I am right in the middle of my honeymoon with two recently acquired little toys, the Ensoniq ESQm and the Kawai k3m. I am a long time Xpander user, but those two really hold their own against the beast thanks to their decent modulation possibilities (ESQ) and quality of analog filtering (K3). I am so much into this hybrid sound now, that I was thinking of pulling the trigger for a Prophet VS rack. But they cost a fortune and certain replacement parts are difficult to source. I am glad I waited! Now, if they only used SSM instead of Curtis (listening to the K3 against the ESQ is instructive in this respect)...

best regards
Massimo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➑️
So perhaps Prophet VS 12 would have been a much better name?

Regards,
Frank
well VS stands for Vector Synthesis, so that doesn't apply here..
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace ➑️
well VS stands for Vector Synthesis, so that doesn't apply here..
I was going to say the same thing, but then again, couldn't you go all vectorious if you wanted with P12 and its sliders?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Only two part multi-timbral ?

At 12 Voices, I would have thought it will offer at least four-Parts multi-timbral operation
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
Only two part multi-timbral ?

At 12 Voices, I would have thought it will offer at least four-Parts multi-timbral operation
I guess we cant have everything
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
[*]4 Oscillators per voice capable of classic and complex waveforms[list][*]Low alias digital oscillators of several flavors: tri, saw, pulse, sine, noise and 4 wavetable based sources

Are all of the oscillators digital? Or does this mean DCO analog oscillators?

thank you
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfur ➑️
[*]4 Oscillators per voice capable of classic and complex waveforms[list][*]Low alias digital oscillators of several flavors: tri, saw, pulse, sine, noise and 4 wavetable based sources

Are all of the oscillators digital? Or does this mean DCO analog oscillators?

thank you
It was already mentioned earlier in the thread, all oscillators are digital.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always thought hybrid was the smartest design. Getting a P12 used a couple years from now is my current goal.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfur ➑️
What, no hypersaw oscillator

Love dsi synths. They know we gotta ask...

...will there be a rack version ?

Nobody should face palm a p08.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
What, no hypersaw oscillator
Strangely enough, I think Pym said there will be one available for the Sub osc.

Regards,
Frank
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I spent a good amount of time w/ the P12 on a decent pair of headphones. the thing that struck me about it was not the sounds or the feature set but the fact that it's a performance synth. It's easy to use, dead easy. It is very well laid out and there is plenty of room around all of the controls. The oscillators are easy to set up, the filter is right in front dead center. The volume and distortion controls are right there on the top left, four delay lines in the lower right. It's just simple. The filter sounds great, better than I recall the P08 although they said it was the same/similar design. There's also a resonant high-pass filter. The analog distortion is not a gimmick and not noisy. The character settings (decimator, drive, etc) are immediate and sound good. One thing I noticed was that it uses a screen printed main panel as opposed to the overlays of the other DSI stuff. It is an expensive synth but if you like the sound and the ease of use it could be for you.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by azone ➑️
I spent a good amount of time w/ the P12 on a decent pair of headphones. the thing that struck me about it was not the sounds or the feature set but the fact that it's a performance synth. It's easy to use, dead easy. It is very well laid out and there is plenty of room around all of the controls. The oscillators are easy to set up, the filter is right in front dead center. The volume and distortion controls are right there on the top left, four delay lines in the lower right. It's just simple. The filter sounds great, better than I recall the P08 although they said it was the same/similar design. There's also a resonant high-pass filter. The analog distortion is not a gimmick and not noisy. The character settings (decimator, drive, etc) are immediate and sound good. One thing I noticed was that it uses a screen printed main panel as opposed to the overlays of the other DSI stuff. It is an expensive synth but if you like the sound and the ease of use it could be for you.
Neat! Thanks for the info...as you say, it depends on who likes this sort of control i guess, ill keep to the P08
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon Cube ➑️
I guess we cant have everything
Or... Maybe buy two Prophet-12's and get four parts multi-timbral

Every product has a catch somewhere, the Prophet-12 would have been perfect if it offered 4 parts, but it does not. There is the catch AFAIC.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by playstation ➑️
I always thought hybrid was the smartest design. Getting a P12 used a couple years from now is my current goal.
My candle is burning at both ends, and so is planet Earth's, I'm afraid. I'm looking to go for broke to get my synth studio beyond where I'm content - without going broke, hopefully, which means getting a trio of synths with the most potency for the money. Well, plus a couple of goodies or four. With all the new tech coming onto the market this year, as well as the stuff out already, I think I can finally sell off some of my gear without missing anything.

The P12 is definitely in the running, but I'm going to weigh my options carefully. More or less.

I've spent a lot of quality time with Viruses, Radiuses, AN1xes, a plethora of Novations, Arturia softies - even the Origin which was a miracle. Softies are a universe I'm still not sold on the sheer splendor of, having fuzzed with just about everything but Omnisphere and Aalto, but listened to tons of demos. In that vein, I'm most sold on OP-X, Diva, Aalto and Omni, though everything has it's appeal I'm aware, but beyond those I mentioned it becomes kind of a blur of sound with the only distinction among clever little features.

Heck, I've even spent a lot of time with Trinitys and Tritons, Motifs and EXs, Fantoms and XP workstations and Kurzweils, and made some killer VA-ish patches on them rompler guys. This is why I picked the nick synthguy, because I think I've had time with... well, half the synths that Steve Fortner and Hans Zimmer have. heh

Outside of the mountain of softsynths, everything is a little different. A few things are very different. The Prophet 12 is pretty darn unique from what I'm hearing, and I'm sure I'll hear a lot more to clue me in on its nature over the coming weeks and months. This is a synth no one should pass by without a serious consideration. Yeah, its price tag is a little bit steep, about a grand more than a Jupiter-50 and almost three times that of King KORG. But consider that some of the competition costs more, worthy competition like the new Pittsburgh modulars and the Oberheim Two Voice. With the P12, you're getting a programmable synth with semi-modular flexibility, wavetables and some cool waveshaping features on the OSCs, a mostly analog signal path with actual analog LP-HP resonant filters and FOUR digital delays per layer. This, boys and girls, doesn't hit the market all that often.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Killer looks

That "12" looks so good

This is definitely a babe magnet kind of synth, hahaha
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like the fact that DSI aren't scared to innovate.

4 digital oscillators with analog filters combined with the thought processes that gave us the P08, the MEK, and the Tempest is a synthesis itself that seems to have paid off nicely. Not a bland VA, nor a straight down the line 2 osc analogue; unlike some other manufacturers, DSI will certainly listen to their user base, but at the same time, they're not compelled to obey (and reproduce the same instrument again and again like an AC/DC album).

IMO Dave Smith Instruments straddle the border between the big 3, and the smaller more boutique companies. DSI appear to be a larger company than many of its competitors, but from what I've seen they have a reputation as an organisation that listens to its customers and seem to have some sort of ethics. Whereas communication with the big 3 is formal by nature, DSI retain a small town feel in a growing city.

Oh, they also produce kick-ass instruments!
πŸ“ Reply