Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 25th January 2013
Deleted 0fc8128
On paper this thing can be the new Prophet VS, you have all the ingredients like 4 digital Oscillators with wavetable, analog LP filter, plenty of ENVs to simulate the joystick envelope, and dual stereo chorus, if you use the delays this way.

I guess we will know more once the finishing touches are done and it is for sale in April. I doubt it will do wavetable scanning, but I hope there is at least some amount of dirt in the oscillator and the filter is up to the task to handle that.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
digitally tuned
and,

digitaly tuned VCO: you have one guitar tuner per voice that automatically twiddle invisible pitch knob

DCO: synced VCO, where sync master is pulse wave coming from something quite like divide-down circuit in old electronic organs

digital oscillator type 1: waveform is played back from memory via DAC, but you change pitch by variation of digital clock frequency (important, because there is no inharmonic aliasing or interpolation errors), example is PPG

digital oscillator type 2: your clock is fixed, to produce low artifact waveform you have to jump trough lot of DSP hoops (can be crappy, can be great, it all depends on available processing power and developer skills)

so basic distinction could be something like this:
VCO - digituned VCO - DCO - variclock Digital - DSP Digital
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
are these the same digital oscs found in the evolver? also what about the filter? is it the same everything on the chip envelopes and filters??

dsi filter always seemed quite weak to me, but i like the concept of this new synth

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
lets not forget TCVCO ... timing controlled VCO..
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang ➑️
are these the same digital oscs found in the evolver? also what about the filter? is it the same everything on the chip envelopes and filters??

dsi filter always seemed quite weak to me, but i like the concept of this new synth
Listening to the demos will give you a good idea of the envelopes and filters. IMO they sound pretty weak like you say. The drum preset demoed sound too loose for me. The evolving sounds using modulated filters give a good impression of what is lacking in the filters. I never really thought dsi strengths were in that area though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➑️
Yes it is analog but it also digital because the osc is controlled digitally so it is a a hybrid. Its like a human with CPU for a brain. Still squishy and filled with water but entirely lacking emotion, empathy, creativity, and rendomness. This isn't a matter of opinion.

Huh????

Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Among the many things I've heard in the P12 demos so far, "weak" is definitely not one of them. It's some of the widest sound I've heard from a recently made synth over the last two decades.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
Merged
Can you also change the title to "What is DSI coming out with? The Prophet 12!" so that it's clear that this is already the Prophet 12 thread?

Quote:
Because vsts are digital?
But they also have digital filters. A VST has way more in common with a virtual analog than with a Prophet 12, so that's why ESQ/PPG would be better examples to compare with.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
How any body can praise this company for releasing another new instrument when their previous release The Tempest which has been out over a year and still does not have the ability to send or receive CC/NRPN is beyond me. I want to want this, i really want a poly analog, but i want to want the tempest aswell, but a midi instrument without full midi control is pretty useless to me. Seriously don't know how this company is getting away with this...god father of midi... my left nut.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Among the many things I've heard in the P12 demos so far, 'weak' is definitely not one of them. It's some of the widest sound I've ever heard from a recently made synth.
Just because a synth is wide doesn't mean its not weak. I wouldn't say the whole synth is weak but the envelopes (not snappy) and filters (too tame) are. Its strong in amount of voices, modulation possibilities, amount of osc, build quality, and effects.

Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I can't agree with that at all. Listen again to the sound at the beginning of this video. It's not just wide, but thick and deep ; it's a three-dimensional sound that's very 'large'. I haven't heard anything like it for years.

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 Hybrid Digital Analog Synth Demo by INHALT - YouTube
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by james the cat ➑️
How any body can praise this company for releasing another new instrument when their previous release The Tempest which has been out over a year and still does not have the ability to send or receive CC/NRPN is beyond me. I want to want this, i really want a poly analog, but i want to want the tempest aswell, but a midi instrument without full midi control is pretty useless to me. Seriously don't know how this company is getting away with this...god father of midi... my left nut.
They have rabid fans, people get distracted by shiny new objects, and dsi is all business. "Best synth yet" so please forgive the previous not as good as best synths.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➑️
Almost 20k YT views in one day for a hadware synth. That's pretty impressive.

Good idea that Dave is presenting this himself, instead of some dorky sales rep. He's such a likable guy I actually started to get interested in this synth and watched the video till the end.

Sounds surprisingly good.
I agree, I very much appreciate and am thankful that Dave Smith is even out there and not afraid to put himself on the line. He gives the electronic musician community what they want (can anyone say poly analog?) and continues to do so, now bringing us what he clearly states is his best work. Very much looking forward to playing a P12 in person, it looks super impressive.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm not a rabid fan ; in fact I don't own any DSI synths.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I haven't heard anything like it from a recently made synth for years.
I know what you think you meant.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
corrected.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister ➑️
Good luck with this guy. He's about as close someone can be to being a troll without being a troll. He's the "you can't tell me" type with a phone and apparently a lot of time to keep posting.
You are so right. Maybe gs should get rid of their mobile app. Your words of wisdom hold a special place in my heart.

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The NAMM surprises are starting to drive me slightly mad ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And for crying out loud people do refer to the juno-60 as a hybrid synth.
I've never heard of anyone referring to a Juno 60 as a hybrid synth... or any synth with DCOs for that matter.

Something like an Evolver or DW8000, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessboy ➑️
Guess who just bought a used P08 about two months ago. *facepalm*
There's not a whole lot of overlap between the P'08 and the new P12, so I wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy the P'08 for what the P'08 can do.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pym -- any chance a couple of round robin multitimbral modes could be implemented?

Cycling through distinct patches in controlled ways Tetra, Xpander or TX802 style would be absolutely incredible on a 12 voice synth like this.

Imagine the truly kaleidoscopic textures that could be achieved with the arpeggiator or incoming MIDI note data.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this is from another forum and answers some questions:

"The oscillators are virtual, produced by a total of six SHARC chips. Output is then converted to analog to go to filters and VCAs. The chips also handle effects."
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
I've never heard of anyone referring to a Juno 60 as a hybrid synth... or any synth with DCOs for that matter.

Something like an Evolver or DW8000, on the other hand...
Sweetheart, its ambiguous to refer to both vco and dco as analog.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find other people refer to the juno-60 as hybrid and dcos as hybrid osc.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but this is from another forum and answers some questions:

"The oscillators are virtual, produced by a total of six SHARC chips. Output is then converted to analog to go to filters and VCAs. The chips also handle effects."
Virtual oscilators? Produced by six sharc dsp chips?
Sounds like a description of the Solaris.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find other people refer to the juno-60 as hybrid and dcos as hybrid osc.

Bottom line? It doesn't matter. Do you like the sound or not?, that's what matters... It's all actually a moot point...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Do us all a favor and read through the numerous threads here and elsewhere where the "are DCOs digital or analog" topic has been beaten to death. You are seriously late to the party. It's been a dead topic for years.

I'm not trying to tell you whether DCOs are considered analog or digital or hybrid. I'm pointing out that running an off-topic debate of this type is disruptive and bad manners.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Virtual oscilators? Produced by six sharc dsp chips?
Sounds like a description of the Solaris.
Except, Prophet doesn't have to calculate the whole signal path with DSP. Its massively more powerful, than what I even dreamed of.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not really. People usually refer to the signal path, not how the osc is tuned when describing something as analog or not.

Quote:
In fairness, some people might, but it's not common usage. I had never seem DCO synths referred to as hybrids before this thread.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bet if I uploaded a Youtube video with a P12 picture but played some Massive patches people would respond with "ohhh..sounds so fat and wide"
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone in the south west area of England interested in a bank robbery?
πŸ“ Reply