Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 108 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 5th May 2017 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan ➡️
I can only find familiar bitcrushing musical use for high Hack values, and even then the bitcrushing is too extreme. Is this the way it is meant to be?
All these hours with the synth, but I never really warmed up to the character section. I am using the EQ once in a while and maybe the crunch. But somehow I enjoy the nature of the wavetable synthesis the most, going into the filter with a fairly attenuated signal.

I always felt that drive has taken away from the sound, even when used very sparely. Hack is too much for me in any setting. But it is nice to have everything readily available even in the mod matrix. Just in case...

There are so many things that I have not investigated properly in this synth. It is a lifetime achievement, I guess, to do so.
Old 5th May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I thought Hack is a sort of bit crush, but it doesn't seem to be a normal one. I wonder if my P12 is defective. Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Hack = 0, one sine wave osc. Pardon the old-fashioned scope.

Hack = 8 (first discrete jump). This does not look like a normal bitcrush.

Hack = 81. More weirdness.

More Hack (I forgot the exact number, I think 104 but it could be higher). Now starting to sort of look like a bitcrush. Looks like there are 4 levels, i.e., 2 bits.

Hack = 127 drops the waveform to 1-bit (square wave). I can only find familiar bitcrushing musical use for high Hack values, and even then the bitcrushing is too extreme. Is this the way it is meant to be?
I haven't looked at it on an oscilloscope but mine is also more or less unuseable. Already at lowest step it is just too much for my taste. I love some bitcrusher to add some crunch but this one have not ended up in any patch.
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
anyone here using the P12 Desktop with a controller with sliders and endless encoders, like novations/axioms etc?

i've read that P12 has extensive midi implementation, and that its easy to setup control of whatever parameter you need. thing of most interest for me here is, is it possible to set the edit mode in "pick-up" or "passthru" mode... i.e. when you select a patch that for example contains a full open filter, yet the slider position on your controller sits at the bottom - in pass trhu mode, like on most standalone synths, you will push the slider and there will be no changes to the sound until you reach the position that was saved in the patch you are playing. editing is engaged from that point on. this is how most synths with memory work, 40 yrs ago as well as today. however with desktops and racks this question isn't always clear..

if you don't have that, you are basically in "jump" mode, which means soon as you touch the control the filter jumps, or spikes to the current position of the slider. somewhat okayish for programming at home. totally unusable for performance or inspired improv session obviously.

atm i have novation impulse that has both sliders and endless encoders - these should be able to work immediatelly without jumping, but depends how it's designed to work on the target device i.e. P12.

same question: how do controls behave in this regard if P12 is controlled via Midi Designer 2, or CTRLr?

thanks

PS i've got no room for another keyboard, and i've found a relatively cheap used desktop. still under warranty. and have itchy fingers..
Old 6th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
i've read that P12 has extensive midi implementation, and that its easy to setup control of whatever parameter you need. thing of most interest for me here is, is it possible to set the edit mode in "pick-up" or "passthru" mode...
there are two ways to change parameters:

1) by using the modmatrix and up to 6 assignable MIDI controllers (=> change values relative to patch parameter value)

2) by sending NRPNs (this updates the patch itself, i.e. the "modulation" is absolute)

the Prophet12 itself implements pass-thru only in its UI, not via MIDI (actually I don't know any synth that has a MIDI pass-thru mode).

However, with the right software that knows the exact current state of the patch, it is quite possible to implement this.

The good news is that I've already written 90% of that software and the feature you are asking for is basically already on my todo list :-)

To elaborate, what I intend to implement is a way to modulate patch params and reset them to their original state when a certain MIDI event is received (without resending the whole patch).

Adding a pass-thru mode should be relatively easy. The "hard" part is tracking all patch updates and the patch state in general, and that is already finished.

To be able to use this, you would have to route your MIDI controllers into the software, and load the P12 patch(es) into my P12 editor (also part of the software).
The MIDI controller data must then be routed into a (software) preprocessor "node" that will handle the pass-thru detection (and the reset feature I mentioned above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
PS i've got no room for another keyboard, and i've found a relatively cheap used desktop. still under warranty. and have itchy fingers..
Go for it ! I also have the desktop and it's probably my favourite synth. It is very easy to to edit via the HW panel but I prefer my software editor (it has some really nice features, for example a patch morpher and randomizer, among other things). You can use both the HW panel and the software editor in parallel, of course.

By the way, I really like your music (sounds like the work of a "real" musician ).
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There does seem to be a persistent opinion on here that the Prophet 12 is just for quirky "sci-fi-alt-universe-broken-digital-steam-driven" sounds. Also people not being sold on the filters. Or saying it doesn't do wavetable stuff very well.

It's certainly true that it does do a great job on evocative and moody soundscapes, but there's plenty of goodness on the more restrained side of things too. I thought I'd put up a demo of some of my recent patches that are perhaps a bit less adventurous than some of my other P12 demos. Of course, I may have got a little carried away in places, but hopefully it shows a bit more range. I'd love to do some demo's of the sounds created for the sequencer driven side of things, but that's getting into writing rather than noodling around for half an hour. There's the FM side of things too, but for now take my word for it that you can get some very DX7 like sounds going on.

Last edited by adydub; 7th May 2017 at 07:23 PM..
Old 7th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
NRPN galore

I'd like to show you something pretty cool (and geeky ):

Today I implemented some of the features (NRPN preprocessor) in my P12 editor and sequencer (what I was talking about in my previous post).

It is now possible to
1) Modulate all P12 parameters and be able to return to the original patch state at any time
2) Use virtual bankselects+program changes to change patches via differential NRPN updates. Unlike regular program changes, this does not cut the currently playing notes.

I was very surprised that it even is possible to switch back and forth between patches that sound completely different. Apparently USB MIDI is fast enough to handle all the required NRPN updates without (noticeably) interrupting the replay.

Please find attached a small audio example (made in a hurry, don't judge the patches or the "composition").

@0s: Init patch
@4s: OSC1 Shape modulation
@8s: Back to the original patch (happens automatically when the replay is stopped)
@11s: Virtual program changes (selecting some random, totally unalike sounds while a simple sequence is playing)
@19s: Back to the original patch again
@22s: Virtual program changes (selecting some sounds that are very similar)
@33s: Back to the original patch again
@36s: Simple bass sequence (no patch switching)
@40s: Bass sequence with OSC1 Shape modulation
@44s: Bass sequence with OSC1 Shape and LPFreq modulation
@49s: Just playing around, added some delay+reverb :-)

What this means is that you don't have to worry about destroying a patch by sending NRPNs. With the preprocessor, the changes can be reverted at any time, and the patch always reverts to its original state when the replay starts.

The SW will be released at the end of this month.
Attached Files

p12_proxy_node_test-07May2017.mp3 (2.61 MB, 2537 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp804 ➡️
I'd like to show you something pretty cool (and geeky ):

Today I implemented some of the features (NRPN preprocessor) in my P12 editor and sequencer (what I was talking about in my previous post).

It is now possible to
1) Modulate all P12 parameters and be able to return to the original patch state at any time
2) Use virtual bankselects+program changes to change patches via differential NRPN updates. Unlike regular program changes, this does not cut the currently playing notes.

I was very surprised that it even is possible to switch back and forth between patches that sound completely different. Apparently USB MIDI is fast enough to handle all the required NRPN updates without (noticeably) interrupting the replay.

Please find attached a small audio example (made in a hurry, don't judge the patches or the "composition").

@0s: Init patch
@4s: OSC1 Shape modulation
@8s: Back to the original patch (happens automatically when the replay is stopped)
@11s: Virtual program changes (selecting some random, totally unalike sounds while a simple sequence is playing)
@19s: Back to the original patch again
@22s: Virtual program changes (selecting some sounds that are very similar)
@33s: Back to the original patch again
@36s: Simple bass sequence (no patch switching)
@40s: Bass sequence with OSC1 Shape modulation
@44s: Bass sequence with OSC1 Shape and LPFreq modulation
@49s: Just playing around, added some delay+reverb :-)

What this means is that you don't have to worry about destroying a patch by sending NRPNs. With the preprocessor, the changes can be reverted at any time, and the patch always reverts to its original state when the replay starts.

The SW will be released at the end of this month.
UNLIMITED MODULATION POWER!!!

Seriously though, really looking forward to this.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
There does seem to be a persistent opinion on here that the Prophet 12 is just for quirky "sci-fi-alt-universe-broken-digital-steam-driven" sounds. Also people not being sold on the filters. Or saying it doesn't do wavetable stuff very well.

It's certainly true that it does do a great job on evocative and moody soundscapes, but there's plenty of goodness on the more restrained side of things too. I thought I'd put up a demo of some of my recent patches that are perhaps a bit less adventurous than some of my other P12 demos. Of course, I may have got a little carried away in places, but hopefully it shows a bit more range. I'd love to do some demo's of the sounds created for the sequencer driven side of things, but that's getting into writing rather than noodling around for half an hour. There's the FM side of things too, but for now take my word for it that you can get some very DX7 like sounds going on.

Where can we hear he demo?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Excellent find! Boy am I going to have fun with that! Maybe I should delay selling my P12...

BTW, the reason I prefer rolling my own editors instead of CTRLR, is because of this bug in VST mode (particularly annoying when using NRPN): Topic: Ctrlr vsti sends midi messages twice | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware). I had already moved on to WDL-OL by the time the last post (with possible fix) was posted in that thread, so I don't know if it works. I was also generally ticked off by JUCE. But maybe this helps anyone else building a CTRLR panel today.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
UNLIMITED MODULATION POWER!!!

Quote:
Maybe I should delay selling my P12...
you definitely should (delay that) !

I felt that the P12 really opened up with a proper editor !

Mine can auto-create modmatrix entries, for example. You can crank up the FM/AM and even mod matrix entry amounts to 11 and it will automagically add (more) mod entries if the mod amount exceeds the regular range.
It's also possible to categorize (and filter) patches, or turn oscs / lfos /envs / delays / mod matrix entries on and off.

I know I am teasing you, please have a little patience. Coming soon!
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Every time I look at this thread I slap myself for letting go of my P12. It really does have a unique flavor of sound IMO. It's also nice to see that Dave keeps updating it. I'm pretty certain I will eventually end up acquiring another P12 in the not-too-distant future.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip96 ➡️
Where can we hear he demo?
Changed my soundcloud user name which broke all the links - updated in my original post

All my Prophet 12 demos can be found here now https://soundcloud.com/icanhazsynth
Gear Addict

Quote:
Excellent find! Boy am I going to have fun with that! Maybe I should delay selling my P12...

BTW, the reason I prefer rolling my own editors instead of CTRLR, is because of this bug in VST mode (particularly annoying when using NRPN): Topic: Ctrlr vsti sends midi messages twice | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware). I had already moved on to WDL-OL by the time the last post (with possible fix) was posted in that thread, so I don't know if it works. I was also generally ticked off by JUCE. But maybe this helps anyone else building a CTRLR panel today.
Hi Grimulkan, as you could see in my reply on Ctrlr forum in July last year, I don't have that problem anymore and I described the workaround.
So, you should not have the issue of sending messages twice with my Pro2 or P12 panel.
Adaptation of Pro2 panel to P12 progressing well despite I don't have the synth.
I'll get some help from someone with a P12 and I'll verify the params in detail.
I think I'll be able to post the panel in max 1 month.
Attached Thumbnails
DSI Prophet 12-p12-panel-.jpg   DSI Prophet 12-p12-panel-b.jpg   DSI Prophet 12-p12-panel-c.jpg  
Old 8th May 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Changed my soundcloud user name which broke all the links - updated in my original post

All my Prophet 12 demos can be found here now https://soundcloud.com/icanhazsynth

Sounds great! Love those demo's!

So I have question: Just wondering if anyone has used the per voice function on the p12. I know the tap delays are supposed to be per voice. I'm looking for a starting point as to how to set up the delays per voice. Currently I have only used them in the traditional sense, at the end of the chain on everything. Also, any way to use any other 'per voice' feature?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodweather ➡️
Hi Grimulkan, as you could see in my reply on Ctrlr forum in July last year, I don't have that problem anymore and I described the workaround.
So, you should not have the issue of sending messages twice with my Pro2 or P12 panel.
Adaptation of Pro2 panel to P12 progressing well despite I don't have the synth.
I'll get some help from someone with a P12 and I'll verify the params in detail.
Thanks for confirming! Didn't notice it was the same person on the other thread .

I dug out my script for sending incremental sysex and reverse engineering parameter offsets - so I can send you the results of that on the P12 if you're still interested (IIRC it dumps out a table with NRPN parameter number and corresponding sysex dump offset that also changed when the NRPN changed). And probably also a few sysex dumps. Will hopefully get time later this week...

Quote:
Sounds great! Love those demo's!

So I have question: Just wondering if anyone has used the per voice function on the p12. I know the tap delays are supposed to be per voice. I'm looking for a starting point as to how to set up the delays per voice. Currently I have only used them in the traditional sense, at the end of the chain on everything. Also, any way to use any other 'per voice' feature?
Haha, asked the same question on DSI forums a while back, but no response. But there are some tricks in my post there. There are also a couple of voice-per-function tricks in my (long) post a page ago.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for confirming! Didn't notice it was the same person on the other thread .

I dug out my script for sending incremental sysex and reverse engineering parameter offsets - so I can send you the results of that on the P12 if you're still interested (IIRC it dumps out a table with NRPN parameter number and corresponding sysex dump offset that also changed when the NRPN changed). And probably also a few sysex dumps. Will hopefully get time later this week...

Haha, asked the same question on DSI forums a while back, but no response. But there are some tricks in my post there. There are also a couple of voice-per-function tricks in my (long) post a page ago.
I actually saw that post with my initial research. Guess it's up to us then to figure it out!! When i get around to it I will start posting results. Might have to use cellphone cause I think video would be helpful to anyone else trying. Maybe once we get some ideas together and tested I could put it up on a sound-cloud for the good quality audio.

On another note: It's great to see this forum alive and people posting .
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I actually saw that post with my initial research. Guess it's up to us then to figure it out!! When i get around to it I will start posting results. Might have to use cellphone cause I think video would be helpful to anyone else trying. Maybe once we get some ideas together and tested I could put it up on a sound-cloud for the good quality audio.

On another note: It's great to see this forum alive and people posting .
One per-voice function I absolutely adore on the P12 is per-voice Decimate (sample rate reduction). Another one is variable Drive (with opposite modulation on the osc levels so the overall output is the same). The other per-voice features are nice to have, but mostly I don't care that much about polyphony when using them.
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thx. I got the sysex offset for almost all parameters and I can already load/save banks or sounds.
Only missing the Unison stuff mentioned above.
May get support for testing from someone in Estonia who has a P12.
What a nice world
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I also posted some per voice aftertouch tips a few pages back with some demo's (If you scroll back a few posts)
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...l#post12515954
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Addict

@ Grimulkan : got the sysex dumps from my new Estonian friend. So, you are free from work
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
wow looks killer, that NRPN parameter hacking is very nice.

what do you specifically need as data dump from the P12 (keys) I can do a dump if you would like via midi monitor?(I suppose the midi monitor from soundtower wouldn't work) Only the unison buttons and menu-editing the detune etc?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oracle - For The Prophet 12

Quote:
Thx. I got the sysex offset for almost all parameters and I can already load/save banks or sounds.
Only missing the Unison stuff mentioned above.
is this what you're looking for ?
Code:
      int off = 512 * layer_idx;
      /*...*/
      b_uni          = raw.peekI8(off + 257);
      uni_detune     = raw.peekI8(off + 258);
      uni_mode       = raw.peekI8(off + 259);
      uni_keyassign  = raw.peekI8(off + 260);
      /*...*/
by the way, I just found this iOS P12 editor ("Oracle"). looks quite nice. has anyone here tried it, yet ?
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Addict

Thx for the offsets (I also got different sysex dumps yesterday).
And indeed, the code is looking alike in order to get access to the 2 layers with the B Layer button
Old 9th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thx for the offsets (I also got different sysex dumps yesterday).
And indeed, the code is looking alike in order to get access to the 2 layers with the B Layer button
glad to hear I could help

Today I added realtime controls for the patch morpher, i.e. it's possible to sequence it now via NRPNs for the src+dst bank+patch numbers and the morph amount (0..16383 => 0..1 where 0=src patch and 1=dst patch).

Please find attached a few tech demos / sound samples for that.
The src/dst patch numbers and notes are sequenced, the morph amount is controlled with a MIDI fader.

The morpher has very detailed settings for each parameter group (env/lfo/delay/..). For these tests I just used the default settings (got the flu and am a bit slow today). Rest assured, it _can_ sound more musical than this
Attached Files

p12_realtime_morph_1.mp3 (1.08 MB, 1617 views)

p12_realtime_morph_2.mp3 (1.08 MB, 1557 views)

p12_realtime_morph_3.mp3 (1.80 MB, 1569 views)

p12_realtime_morph_4.mp3 (2.85 MB, 1594 views)

p12_realtime_morph_5.mp3 (3.32 MB, 1578 views)

Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
exciting stuff! keep it up. it's definitely something I could use in my workflow.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
exciting stuff! keep it up. it's definitely something I could use in my workflow.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
there are two ways to change parameters:

1) by using the modmatrix and up to 6 assignable MIDI controllers (=> change values relative to patch parameter value)

2) by sending NRPNs (this updates the patch itself, i.e. the "modulation" is absolute)

the Prophet12 itself implements pass-thru only in its UI, not via MIDI (actually I don't know any synth that has a MIDI pass-thru mode).

However, with the right software that knows the exact current state of the patch, it is quite possible to implement this.

The good news is that I've already written 90% of that software and the feature you are asking for is basically already on my todo list :-)
that's awesome news, will be a great way to use it in the studio

however in performance context i won't be able to drag a computer. only a controller, or possibly combine it with ipad with midi designer or something like that. (i wonder if they can achieve bi directional talk to have the pass thru feature)

still, if i dedicate six midi cc to well chosen parameters on each patch i will use, plus 4 endless encoders/menu system on the synth itself, it might be just fine. for a minimal system with just a few knobs, they have really done a great job to make it quick.

Quote:
Go for it ! I also have the desktop and it's probably my favourite synth. It is very easy to to edit via the HW panel but I prefer my software editor (it has some really nice features, for example a patch morpher and randomizer, among other things). You can use both the HW panel and the software editor in parallel, of course.

By the way, I really like your music (sounds like the work of a "real" musician ).

thank you for the kind words ,, yes i'd really like to go for it, i'm still figuring out the finantial scheme to pull it off quickly, while its still on offer.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just added a simplified option that lets you smoothly cycle through the first 4, 8, 16, or 32 patches (or alternatively, patches 33..64) of the "per project" soundbank (the first 16 soundbanks in my editor are global, soundbank 17 is saved with each project).

It's much easier to use than having to set separate src / dest / blend NRPNs (although that is still possible).

I also added a few new options to control (e.g. prevent) the interpolation of the LFO/ENV3+4 mod destinations (this was previously only configurable for mod matrix entries).

Here's a little experiment that starts with a pad sound, morphs to another pad sound, then through 6 different more percussive sounds that are variations of each other.

All patches share common mod matrix entries (for modwheel routing). The morph position is again controlled by a (single) MIDI fader.

Up to 105 parameters are being interpolated per controller movement. Yay for USB MIDI :-)
Attached Files

p12_realtime_morph_6.mp3 (3.74 MB, 1561 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
glad to hear I could help

Today I added realtime controls for the patch morpher, i.e. it's possible to sequence it now via NRPNs for the src+dst bank+patch numbers and the morph amount (0..16383 => 0..1 where 0=src patch and 1=dst patch).

Please find attached a few tech demos / sound samples for that.
The src/dst patch numbers and notes are sequenced, the morph amount is controlled with a MIDI fader.

The morpher has very detailed settings for each parameter group (env/lfo/delay/..). For these tests I just used the default settings (got the flu and am a bit slow today). Rest assured, it _can_ sound more musical than this
This is wonderful, already sounds quite musical to me - shades of autechre and aphex twin...
Old 10th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Today I added realtime controls for the patch morpher, i.e. it's possible to sequence it now via NRPNs for the src+dst bank+patch numbers and the morph amount..
Quote:
I just added a simplified option that lets you smoothly cycle through the first 4, 8, 16, or 32 patches ,,
wow this opens an endless world of posibilities, it almost hurts my head to think about it,.,, especially that last demo sounds positively wonderful

wish you could do something like this for Andromeda, it also works with NPRNs
📝 Reply