DSI Prophet 12 - Page 105 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
Quick demo of some sounds I made where morphing waves are a key component of the sound

Some really nice sounds there.
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
Quick demo of some sounds I made where morphing waves are a key component of the sound

Amazing! Exactly the type of hybrid tones that I like. The P12 could very well become my first DSI synth, unless their next "big" synthesizer ends up being a Prophet 12 but with discrete filters instead of the current Curtis implementation.
Old 5th April 2016
Deleted ca98332
put this together yesterday and i think it came out pretty well:

https://duffegan.bandcamp.com/track/...ality-of-being

all linear FM sine wave shenanigans using the pro12 and the gears in this photo (plus Eventide space and dual MF101s:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

i'm enjoying FM so much i think i'm about to purge my studio to a really lean state and focus more on software. never thought i'd say that..
Old 28th April 2016 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
alt tunings update problems

i'm having a problem with 1.4 and alt tunings. when i update the OS the only alt tuning i get is #1 , every other option is just a number with no description and all of those modes just play really faint hi-freq sine waves.

usually DSI support has been awesome but i'm sort of frustrated with them atm and wondered if anyone else encountered this and if they solved it.

pro12 module, usb update via macbook
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You need to download and load the alternate tunings file to the synth. Cheers!

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/...ngs-ReadMe.zip
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
You need to download and load the alternate tunings file to the synth. Cheers!

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/...ngs-ReadMe.zip
where though? the update page has no link to that sysex anymore so i assumed the 1.4 update would do that.

Dave Smith Instruments
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
click the link in my previous post
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
click the link in my previous post
i appreciate your quick response.

the file linked above is a pro6 alt tuning zip
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's the same file for either instrument. there is one that's labelled for the Prophet 12 here:

Dave Smith Instruments
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
It's the same file for either instrument. there is one that's labelled for the Prophet 12 here:

Dave Smith Instruments
i'm sorted, thank you.

that alt tuning update should sit along the "downloads" page for the module and also the support requirements through the official channels are silly. I have to provide serial, exact date of purchase and it's faster to just post on a forum to get a direct response.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You don't have to include your serial, OS, and purchasing information to submit a ticket. This does, however, expedite the overall process for customer's who require repairs to their synths.

In the future, please send us a note at technical support and we should get back to your promptly. I will have to refrain from providing too much support through forums if it leads users to feel that they will receive faster responses than through our support portal.
Old 29th April 2016
Deleted ca98332
i got this response from support:

"I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem with your 2 Prophet 12 modules. What are the serial #, exact date of purchase and where were they purchased from? How are both modules configured and connected?

The first thing you can do is disconnect all MIDI I/O, including USB, and do a Global reset which is located in the Global menu. Next, connect just a single Prophet 12 directly to a MIDI controller and see if you are still having the same issue.

Please get back to me with ALL the information and we'll continue from there."

the emphasis seems to imply that this info (serial, exact purchase date) is a pre-requisite for help. it's easier to just ask the internet.

in any case, thanks for your quick responses and help.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tested a p12 today.
UI is awesome.
But whatever sound you try to make, it all has the same character. The delay is mono (did I perhaps mis something?), the oscilator models insufficient. I failed to create a nice heavenly pad. Could be me though. Overall do not like it. At that price tag I expect something that blows me of my feet. I have 300USD soft synths that can do more and sound better. No offense. In the end it's all very relative and very personnal
Old 26th December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o ➡️
Tested a p12 today.
UI is awesome.
But whatever sound you try to make, it all has the same character. The delay is mono (did I perhaps mis something?), the oscilator models insufficient. I failed to create a nice heavenly pad. Could be me though. Overall do not like it. At that price tag I expect something that blows me of my feet. I have 300USD soft synths that can do more and sound better. No offense. In the end it's all very relative and very personnal
Delays can indeed be set to stereo panning. Most of the pads on this were from the P12: https://synphaera.bandcamp.com/album/meridian

Heavenly? Not sure, but deep and cosmic, yes - there is no soft-synth than can generate that kind of depth or dimension.

Edit: I no longer have mine, FWIW. There was a 12K spike that they (support) could not get rid of, so I had to let it go. As much as I loved it, ears come first.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm happy you feel that way. I love mine, I'm never letting it go. It has a very unique sound that from my experience, software CAN NOT produce.

Nice track Don, sounds pleasant to my ears. Too bad that 12k spike made you sell it. I couldn't hear anything bad in the music posted.
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Used a P12 at a friends, the synth sounded okay but the filters were terrible, honestly some of the worst I've heard!
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You were able to bypass the filters? Wow... I don't get how the synth sounded okay, but the filters were the worst you've heard?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
We were resampling it into an Emu sampler, the filters were not in use (the high pass and low pass cutoffs were at minimum and maximum respectively). When I said synth I was talking primarily about the oscillators and modulations,
the effects sounded okay too.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You've got to be careful when setting the P12 filters, they will sing, but you have to be careful balancing osc level, drive and feedback controls. Just whacking up the rez and tweaking about probably won't provide satisfying results. It's not a Juno 106.
Old 26th December 2016
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe it is the tone of the P12 oscillators with filters fully open that some people do not like? The P12 is by no means a clean sounding synth, nor does it try to model anything with its oscillators. It is a hybrid synth like Waldorf Microwave, digital oscillators + analog filter, but with much better interface than the MW. Clean or smooth are not the correct words to be used with this type of synths. It is all about exploring weird and wonderful sounds that other synths cannot produce with their simplified synth engines. The P12 is all about character, use of (slight amounts of) modulation, feedback, bit reduction, drive etc. and finally needs to be tamed with the low-pass filter.

I agree that the P12 can sound harsh with some sounds, when the LP filter is open. However, you do not need to turn it fully open. Use it for the sweet spots. IMO the P12 excels in slightly dirty modulated pads and soundscapes with low pass filter turned down by suitable amounts. It can do cleaner sounds too, but then you must limit the use of its features to the basic waveforms. The more you use its mod matrix and features, the more you will hear the "digital carbage" when the LP filter is open. But hey, that is ok. This synth let's you go to the restricted territory and find weird anomalies that in many other synths have been intentionally limited. The analog Curtis filters beat any digital filters that I have heard. They are dirty and have character. I prefer the discrete newer DSI filters of Pro2, but I have always liked the Curtis filters too. The filters of some digital synths or plugins are often much smoother or cleaner, but that is not the point of this synth. The P12 is a rare beast. It really has character and is therefore a true instrument. I will never ever let mine go. The UI is one of the best I have used, very easy to learn synthesis with this machine. IMO the P12 is still an underestimated synth and has been left in the shadow of the newer Prophet 6 and OB6. Buy one still when it is being manufactured! This will be a legend for sure. Or, actually, I would wait until NAMM to see if anything is coming that could potentially replace the P12, although I doubt it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tyler ➡️
Delays can indeed be set to stereo panning. Most of the pads on this were from the P12: https://synphaera.bandcamp.com/album/meridian

Heavenly? Not sure, but deep and cosmic, yes - there is no soft-synth than can generate that kind of depth or dimension.

Edit: I no longer have mine, FWIW. There was a 12K spike that they (support) could not get rid of, so I had to let it go. As much as I loved it, ears come first.
Wow man if these pads are truly from the P12, I gladly admit I suck at sound creation and gladly take my words back. That sounds awesome!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➡️
I'm happy you feel that way. I love mine, I'm never letting it go. It has a very unique sound that from my experience, software CAN NOT produce.

Nice track Don, sounds pleasant to my ears. Too bad that 12k spike made you sell it. I couldn't hear anything bad in the music posted.
No offense, but it is software reproducing it... oscillators are digital and I am not one of those guys who think that is a bad thing.

I disagree with you that no soft synth can generate that.
Try Sylenth, try spire, try Dune 2, try Omnisphere, try Falcon to name a few.

But admitted, the tracks on the link are really awesome and if I could get my hands on the patches that make a P12 sound like that I might even buy one.... I can only dream of getting it to sound that way...
I honestly have no idea so if any of you can point me to the right direction, please do not hesitate to show me the light in the darkness of my ignorance :-)
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I disagree. I'll leave it at that. I own software too. Sound wise, not even close dude. Anyway, like F5D stated. The Prophet 12 is perfect for those lo-if motion pads. I love it for that. Omnisphere doesn't even sound on par with the Virus TI2.
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I disagree. I'll leave it at that. I own software too. Sound wise, not even close dude. Anyway, like F5D stated. The is perfect for those lo-if motion pads. I love it for that. doesn't even sound on par with the Virus TI2.
Quote:
I disagree. I'll leave it at that. I own software too. Sound wise, not even close dude. Anyway, like F5D stated. The Prophet 12 is perfect for those lo-if motion pads. I love it for that. Omnisphere doesn't even sound on par with the Virus TI2.
Fair enough man. Different folks, different opinions. I'm cool with that although I disagree 😃

I heard a demo somewhere where they tested a virus ti2 against sylenth against a nova and a free plugin. When running dry i.e. with no effects, sylenth actually "won"... "won" because once more, different folks different opinions but I felt it sounded somewhat more powerfull allbeit very little yet audible (and totally irrelevant). Just to emphasize I disagree that soft synths cannot do it. No disrespect intended, but software is what makes your Virus generate sound. It's DSPs, a processor and algorythms... A P12 just has analogue filters and amp. The source - the oscillators - are digital as well i.e. software. Agreed those differences are more than sufficient to give it a specific sound... only want to say it's all software these days so...

Bah as long as we love our gear who cares. Personally I am not fond of the Virus TI2 which I have. Loved the C more.... perhaps it's just psychological... who knows... 😂

Saying Omnisphere is not on par with a TI2 puzzles me honesty. I have both. In some cases you are right but there are sounds in Omni that blow the TI2 out of the galaxy... I feel the TI2 sounds kind of sterile. I mean everything is there yet I am not thrilled....

About the P12, the demo posted here above does sound awesome, admitted. I would love to get my hands on those patches...
Old 26th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I'm wondering how it is to use the P12 as a master keyboard... I've searched the thread and found some mentions that seem to indicate that it is indeed a good choice for that. But I'm wondering about some of the actual technicalities. Please forgive my ingnorace, but I'm completely new to the midi/desktop module controlling business...

So here's what I'd like to do:

Due to space constraints I'm currently contemplating getting the OB6 and P6 modules instead of their keyboard versions. And in the future I might get some other modules as well.

Now, I was wondering what would be a good synth for contolling them. I have a Roland S8, and I've read it makes a good midi controller, so that will do for now I suppose, but ideally I'd like something with at least 61 keys. Also, ideally for efficiency sake I'd like to avoid getting a separate midi only master keyboard (unless that would offer some ease of use unavailable otherwise) and use a synth that I would otherwise consider getting anyway. The P12 is one such choice (the Modal 002 and Solaris being others, though currently probably out of reach)

What I'm curious about how does one select which module(s) you want to currently play. I suppose it would involve switching midi channels, local control etc.

How convenient is this on the P12? (If the answer is: not very, is this going to be the same elsewhere or are there more suitable options?) I've looked at the P12 manual and it seems to involve some menu diving. Would you need to do this everytime you want to address a different module? What if you wanted to switch on the fly while playing? Finally, can you set up split zones each with a different midi channel? (Didn't see it in the manual)

Again, sorry if this is something elemental and obvious, but I've never done this before...
Old 27th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjavor ➡️
Due to space constraints I'm currently contemplating getting the OB6 and P6 modules instead of their keyboard versions. And in the future I might get some other modules as well.

Now, I was wondering what would be a good synth for contolling them. I have a Roland S8, and I've read it makes a good midi controller, so that will do for now I suppose, but ideally I'd like something with at least 61 keys. Also, ideally for efficiency sake I'd like to avoid getting a separate midi only master keyboard (unless that would offer some ease of use unavailable otherwise) and use a synth that I would otherwise consider getting anyway. The P12 is one such choice (the Modal 002 and Solaris being others, though currently probably out of reach)
The P12 is a great synth but for your purpose of finding a 5 oct master keyboard and a synth at the same time I don't think it is the best choice.
Modal 002/008 or Solaris are indeed quite expensive but you must also like their sound (this is valid for any synth...).

I would suggest looking at the Radikal Technologies Accelerator. It is a VA but with a great sound and it seems to be a killer master keyboard as well.
I collected a series of YT videos here.
Take a look at its manual.
It will excel as master keyboard as with an expansion board it can handle many zones (layer/split) that can be assigned either internal or external.
I'm considering buying one at the moment...

You could also consider a workstation (I agree this is not as a pure synth) that provide many possibilities as master keyboard while also providing 16 tracks sequencer or more, several thousands of voices, arp patterns, etc...
There you could go for a second hand Yamaha Motif ES (I bought one new more than 10 years ago) or more recent ones up to the Montage. Lookk at other brands as well.

So many great choices
At the same time great times but also headache to choose...
Let you guided by your hart and your ears
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I got the P12 directly when it was released hoping it would be the only poly I needed. I wanted it to do mainly analog sounds and was quite disapointed. I actually had it out for sale for some time but got no buyer. Man am I glad!

Now I use it in every track and take it for what it is. An extremely fun, versatile, dark and beautiful digital synth with analog filters. Since the introduction of linear fm I can't really see anything more to ask for. Oh, well maybe one thing I do miss is onboard reverb. The P12 needs reverb to sound good. I know there are people who can get good reverb-like sounds out of the delays but I just can't go through that hasstle. I always run it through some nice sounding plug like Blackhole or Valhalla...

For me one thing that was tricky in the beginning was that all the controls are linear. I was used to the voyager with exponential controls and still prefer that. On the P12 you have to be much more careful and one step up or down can be the make it or break it for the sound. Small movements of the knobs is the key. For me it also needs some pitch modulation to work. Otherwise it can be too clinical.
Old 27th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridholm ➡️
I got the P12 directly when it was released hoping it would be the only poly I needed. I wanted it to do mainly analog sounds and was quite disapointed. I actually had it out for sale for some time but got no buyer. Man am I glad!

Now I use it in every track and take it for what it is. An extremely fun, versatile, dark and beautiful digital synth with analog filters. Since the introduction of linear fm I can't really see anything more to ask for. Oh, well maybe one thing I do miss is onboard reverb. The P12 needs reverb to sound good. I know there are people who can get good reverb-like sounds out of the delays but I just can't go through that hasstle. I always run it through some nice sounding plug like Blackhole or Valhalla...

For me one thing that was tricky in the beginning was that all the controls are linear. I was used to the voyager with exponential controls and still prefer that. On the P12 you have to be much more careful and one step up or down can be the make it or break it for the sound. Small movements of the knobs is the key. For me it also needs some pitch modulation to work. Otherwise it can be too clinical.
For me it was the perfect mix between the Poly evolver (digital hacks and stuff but only 4 voice, although I had a 8voice PEK + PER setup) and the more analog and polyphonic Prophet 08. With 12 voices I never run out and it is the perfect dark ambient and industrial machine.

I agree with the last 2 paragraphs or your post, you must really be gentle on the controls. Especially the filter and env depths etc. It can also sounds very heavenly and esotheric with a few ValhallaDSP plugins. P12 + ValhallaDSP shimmer is a instant time travel machine

It is easily one of my fav synths ever made.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Seeing as there's been a few P12 threads recently, I thought I'd put all my demos in one place in case anyone finds it useful.

Hybrid Pads. Pure P12 direct into a Tascam portable recorder

Wavemorph sounds, focused on wavetable-esque stuff. Pure P12 direct into a Tascam portable recorder

Grab bag of sounds, direct into Focusrite Clarett

Filter demo. P12, I think this has some Strymon deco and a tiny bit of reverb on it.

SOTL sounds. Exploring the distortion unit. Pure P12 direct into a Tascam portable recorder (I think)

Synth Vespers. Short example of synth choir. Pure P12 direct into a Tascam portable recorder (I think)

Shoreline Drones. Ambient piece, everything P12 apart from the shaker. Various plugins used on mix.

Thule BMEWS. Ambient track, everything P12 apart from the drums. Various plugins on the mix.

Last edited by adydub; 7th May 2017 at 07:28 PM..
Old 12th February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

The sound of a hardware or Software synth is personal preference,for me there are loads of excellent softwares out there that can maybe do better or sound better than expensive Hardware but I prefer Hardware,everything is subjective there is no hard or fast rules to what sounds best its personal choice.

For me there is nothing more gratifying than connecting with a hardware synth in a tactile way,something I have never found or connected with in Software irrespective of the controller your using.

Sound sculpting is a journey,some of us get there faster than others,some of use different devices,some prefer to take the hard route some the easy,some the expensive route,some the cheaper option,some the Nostalgic route some the Current option,but the destination is the same,how you choose the tools and the mathematics to do it is a matter of taste,there is no right or wrong way.

We are in a very privileged time with all these technologies available to us,that irrespective of whether its hardware or software would have been well out of reach to most of us 30+ years ago,enjoy what you have and learn the best from it.
📝 Reply