Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 104 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Following up on some forum tips about creating hypersaw type sounds in the P12, I found a recipe for an absolutely huge and obese saw sound.:

saws on osc 1-3, around output 25, slop around 10, detune one of the oscs 3-5 up, another 3-5 down
assign a separate lfo to the waveshape of each osc, different speed on each lfo between 30-40, slew 64
drive around 40, amount 90-100
Bring the filter down to tame the high end, rez somewhere 6-15
Filter env with a short attack/medium decay
Similar setting on the amp env, and amp env amount down a bit
Feedback 5-10, tune 0
Make a chorus with delay 1 (time 41, assign one of the LFO's with a value of 10-15 to time, amount 59-50, shave a little bit of high end off with the LPF at 90 or so)

You may need to tweak the drive/vca amount/feedback amount to get things sitting just right.

BEHOLD THE GIRTH

Last edited by adydub; 18th March 2016 at 08:50 PM..
Old 18th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobswans ➡️
Here is my demo with the Nuenaber Pedal FX
I also run my P12m through a Echolution 2 Deluxe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69bSBhnunqo
Great!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo leitao ➡️
Great!
Thanks, The algorithms have been updated quite a bit since this video so the reverb on the Nuenaber pedals sounds even better.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkDX7 ➡️
Anyone know how to get close to a supersaw sound with P12? I read that DSI looked at putting it in and never did or are still working on it.

I have tried just 4 Saw waves with subs and it gets pretty punchy but not quite as extreme as a super saw.

Any tricks from the masters here? Should I tune them all over the place to get it wider? Detune? Etc?
Check at 1:20 min ... may be you need an OS update or some such?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnl6-VQPqo8
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➡️
Check at 1:20 min ... may be you need an OS update or some such?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnl6-VQPqo8
It is video of pro-2, and p12 doesnt have super saw waveform but I guess we can make it pretty close using 4 osc and detune.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️
It is video of pro-2, and p12 doesnt have super saw waveform but I guess we can make it pretty close using 4 osc and detune.
Silly me was absolutely sure they had the same waveforms.. 'm sorry
Old 19th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo leitao ➡️
What pedals or external fx's are you guys using with P12? Share some clips please?
I'm seriously thinking about strymon big sky.

just ran my p12 through my old cheap korg spring reverb. adds some flab. clip attached - reverb off then reverb on.
Old 21st March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfuzz ➡️

just ran my p12 through my old cheap korg spring reverb. adds some flab. clip attached - reverb off then reverb on.
Really nice warm sound with a little taste of FM.
I'm really struggling between Big Sky and H9, on the other hand i've been listen here nice examples with cheaper options.
Old 21st March 2016 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobswans ➡️
Here is my demo with the Nuenaber Pedal FX
I also run my P12m through a Echolution 2 Deluxe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69bSBhnunqo

really enjoyed this, creative video too.

I hadn't heard of this Nuenaber pedal until now, interesting, thanks.
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years

experimenting with the alternate tunings... some interesting textures to be had. (this is all P12 with some spring reverb)
Old 29th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cool man, you make me miss my Prophet 12. Very nice tones.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➡️
Cool man, you make me miss my Prophet 12. Very nice tones.
thanks! i find it equal parts inspiring and infuriating.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfuzz ➡️
thanks! i find it equal parts inspiring and infuriating.
What's infuriating about it?
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I originally posted this one a couple of years back but I was never entirely happy with it and always meant to remix it. I finally got around to it.

Prophet 12 + Tempest on Drums:

Old 31st March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➡️
I originally posted this one a couple of years back but I was never entirely happy with it and always meant to remix it. I finally got around to it.

Nice tracks!

One question to fellow p12 owners

: can you guys share some bass patches? I will make a demo tomorrow and post it as well.

I like to expand bass sound(for fat bass sound I usually use monark but i also want use p12 bass sound as well, and need some help!)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➡️

Ah man nice track!

How do you get a filter/resonance sweep sound like that. I am still learning synths and havent had much luck getting a sound like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edgar ➡️
What's infuriating about it?
It's very easy to make it sound too bright and too thin (see most of the factory presets). Sometimes it can feel like you're going round in circles trying to hone in on a sound. It's a complex machine and sometimes that can work against you - it can sound warm and lush but it makes you work to get there. Sometimes you can nearly get the sound you want but not quite. That can be really frustrating.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
It's very easy to make it sound too bright and too thin (see most of the factory presets). Sometimes it can feel like you're going round in circles trying to hone in on a sound. It's a complex machine and sometimes that can work against you - it can sound warm and lush but it makes you work to get there. Sometimes you can nearly get the sound you want but not quite. That can be really frustrating.
Once you get there it is very rewarding. Its not a simple instant gratification synth ala Juno 60 or Prophet 06.

It helps to spend a lot of time on the P12. But once you have something in your head and you know your way around its so much fun to create it. As a bonus the P12 keeps surprising you on the way to your destination and its easy to get lost in new sound too. But thats part of the fun !

Last edited by patrickdafunk; 31st March 2016 at 04:27 PM..
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't expect it to be an instant gratification synth, I am just amazed by the sounddesign possibilities and easy routing. I hope I can have a go at it this saturday at Superbooth (probably too noisy for that).
Are there any demos of pads with morphing Wavetables? I regret (a lot) selling my Microwave XT and was hoping to get something at least halfway similar on the P12.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't expect it to be an instant gratification synth, I am just amazed by the sounddesign possibilities and easy routing. I hope I can have a go at it this saturday at Superbooth (probably too noisy for that).
Are there any demos of pads with morphing Wavetables? I regret (a lot) selling my Microwave XT and was hoping to get something at least halfway similar on the P12.
I'll try and find some time to do a little demo of some of the morphing wavetable based patches I've made. The morphing is fairly subtle by default, but I think this is by design it provides an ideal starting point for working on further with AM/FM etc. to really bring things alive. Add this with some pseudo vector sequencing using the LFO's to cycle the amplitudes between the four oscillators can bring you much closer to Waldorf style wavetable sweeps than the morphing by itself.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks, I'd love to hear that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks, I'd love to hear that.
Maybe you find this useful. There is no morphing in this demo, but a multi track Prophet 12 demonstration, with subtle string movements. Just to demonstrate the 'warmth' of the P12, which some people say there is a lack of, which I absolutely disagree:

https://soundcloud.com/dafunkywarlor...hesizer-demo-1

Old 31st March 2016
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Very useful, thanks. Great stuff.
Old 2nd April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Quick demo of some sounds I made where morphing waves are a key component of the sound

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Quick demo of some sounds I made where morphing waves are a key component of the sound

this is great, nice one
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Gorgeous.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/user981318551/wavemorph-pads[/SOUNDCLOUD]
Very good
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
P12 can warm right up with some drive and a little detuning for me.

Great sounds!
Old 3rd April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Great stuff! Thank you. Unfortunately, there wasn't a Prophet 12 at Superbooth, so this is more valuable for me.
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkDX7 ➡️
How do you get a filter/resonance sweep sound like that. I am still learning synths and havent had much luck getting a sound like that.

It's a low note sawtooth. The filter is at high resonance, just below self-oscillation.
You just sweep it downwards with the envelope. Set the Attack to zero and set the delay to however slow you want. After that it's experimentation, you'll need to mess around with the cut-off to get the right sound. Once you get it try adding reverb to beef it up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️
One question to fellow p12 owners

: can you guys share some bass patches? I will make a demo tomorrow and post it as well.

The P12 filter can kill the bass at high resonance so you need to watch that or work around it.
One useful trick is to use layers. Put a deep bass (filter with low resonance or just turned right down low) on one layer. Have a high passed sound on the other layer.
This lets you have higher harmonics and resonance as well as deep bass in one sound.
📝 Reply