DSI Prophet 12 - Page 101 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 25th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkDX7 ➑️
Can it do stuff like trance sounds and more old school Prophet/Jupiter sounds?
Yes.*

*As long as you don't plug it into an oscilloscope.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Probably. But possibly not as "thick" sounding. I'm still a novice on the P12 but so far I find it more suited for complex, evolving and distorted sounds. For thick, layered sounds I use a Jupiter-80. For analog, subtle motion I use a Prophet 6. The P12 is very flexible but it is not instant gratification.
Quote:
Not to steer you away from either the Prophet 12 or the OB6 but if you are specifically looking for a synth just to generate trance and EDM sounds then the Virus would be a better choice. I have the P-12 and the Virus TI2 so I can say from my experience that any of the Virus line of synths would most certainly excel for Trance - EDM music.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ya its not the end of the world if it can't do real trance sounds I am not a techno producer lol. I do like the brass leads in eurobeat like crazy though.

I like playing covers of 80s music etc it would be used mostly for that. I mean I would just get a Jupiter 6 if I wasn't worried about getting it fixed where I live :(. I live for 80s music and synths haha. I love lead tones like on Jump and all those other catchy 80s songs. Most of which seem to be played on the OBX or J8. Love hall and oates stuff aswell. Thats why I was looking for something pretty dynamic sound wise.

I love the OB6 tone the best from just listening to my ear, but I refuse to spend 3K on that short of a key bed and have to use a different board to control it. There are a ton of songs I like to play that need at least what the P12 has which is why its on my list.
Quote:
Ya its not the end of the world if it can't do real trance sounds I am not a techno producer lol. I do like the brass leads in eurobeat like crazy though.

I like playing covers of 80s music etc it would be used mostly for that. I mean I would just get a Jupiter 6 if I wasn't worried about getting it fixed where I live :(. I live for 80s music and synths haha. I love lead tones like on Jump and all those other catchy 80s songs. Most of which seem to be played on the OBX or J8. Love hall and oates stuff aswell. Thats why I was looking for something pretty dynamic sound wise.

I love the OB6 tone the best from just listening to my ear, but I refuse to spend 3K on that short of a key bed and have to use a different board to control it. There are a ton of songs I like to play that need at least what the P12 has which is why its on my list.
Ahh, then I think you will be well pleased with the Prophet 12. It's a great synth and I believe you'll enjoy it.

Download the manual and start to check out the features. There's a new update for it that introduces linear FM. It rocks!
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I will go download it and take a peek. If it can do the 80s stuff well I will be happy .

I was reading and it said they headphone jack only monitors one layer of the sound. I usually use headphones to monitor so I am going to have to try and find a work around.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm doing mostly 80s style synths and my go to synth is the P12. What's nice is that you can get both the DX7 sounding bell like sounds as well as the fat brassy ones and then layer them in the same patch, which is excellent for 80s style songs. I'm a huge hall & oates fan btw.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ah man that sounds awesome. Love me some Hall and Oates. Ya if it can do the 80s stuff I am sold haha. I love 80s fat sounding synth stuff to no end.

Can someone check with headphones and see if they can hear the A and B sounds from it. Couple reviews said it will only do one set through headphones.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ah man that sounds awesome. Love me some Hall and Oates. Ya if it can do the 80s stuff I am sold haha. I love 80s fat sounding synth stuff to no end.

Can someone check with headphones and see if they can hear the A and B sounds from it. Couple reviews said it will only do one set through headphones.
Not true. If you have cables plugged into the B outputs then it splits the A and B layers to separate outputs (and IIRC the headphones mirror whatever the main (A) outputs get). Just unplug the B cables.

The OB-6 will sound a lot more like an 80's Oberheim than the P12, but the P12 can do layers and has 5 octaves, and it can do some pretty nice pads (plus the LPF has a 2 or 4 pole switch). Plus some FM and wavetable-ish stuff.

I'm still hoping that by NAMM 2017 DSI is finally feeling brave enough to bring out a 5-octave 8-voice VCO polysynth.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ah ok.

Will it do the saw wave Jupiter stuff at all? Wish there were some demos of it doing something Vintage around lol. Like Jump lead or some Save a Prayer lol. I would like both the P12 and OB6 but I might be out on the street. JK

Would love an 8 Voice VCO from DSI or an 8 Voice OB would be unreal. It seems these companies keep beating around the bushes with these releases. Everyone wants a J8 so they release something thats close with 4 voices. Or we finally get an OB and its 6 voices.

GIVE US WHAT WE WANT LOL.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Honestly, if you just want to do 80's classic sounds I don't know if the Prophet 12 would be best for you. I'd just pick up a DX7 for cheap and a Juno 60/106 and it would be way more authentic 80's. The prophet 12 can do classic saw wave brass, but it's not really its strength. It does lots of other ambient sounds and crazy modulations. It's better for ambient or IDM.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was looking for something more Analog even though the P12 is digital OSC. I don't want to go back to the programming nightmare that is the DX7 and I don't have anyone in my area that can fix old hardware. So I am needing something newer.

I would just buy a Jupiter 6 but where I live it would be 10 hours away to take it to a shop if it had an issue. Or alot of shipping costs. Just not feasible for me.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yea, I hear you. I think you'd really like the prophet 12 it's a great synth and it can do DX sounds. And a warranty is a good peace of mind. You might be lusting after a Prophet 6 or OB-6 after you get it though, if your looking for classic sounds. Since you mentioned Jupiter 6, I tried one of those and I think that the Prophet 6 sounds better than it, and comes with a warranty. Maybe just get the Prophet 6? Unless, you have to have 5 octaves lol.
Old 25th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ya the 5 octaves thing is a hang up with me lol.

I played full pianos long enough that anything under 5 you can't play alot of covers and stuff. I was possibly thinking P12 for now and the OB6 later Midi controlled by the P12. Though the price makes me gasp.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Will it do the saw wave Jupiter stuff at all? Wish there were some demos of it doing something Vintage around lol.
It's not that at all. It's many things more... but that... no. That's why there are no demos of it. If anything, the 12 is following in the VS's shoes more than the 5's. It's not really a modern VS either though.

Can you get some smooth analog sounding pads out of it? Sure. FM stuff, yeah, though DX? I kind of think I like it better than a DX.

Seems to me like you're looking for a single instrument to fill all your dreams. You'll be happier if you take on one dream at a time.

My personal take on things is that an OB6 makes me smile every time I hear it. A 12 in addition to it would be quite a duo but instead of it? It was my only hardware poly for a short time and... well no thanks. If I had more money and space, I'd for sure get a 12 module to add to the fun here, but I had to compromise so I went with a DSP based solution for digital sounds and virtual hybrid sounds and keep a handful of analogs around for what they're great at. Frankly I feel my digital synth needs are totally covered but I would love an analog poly. I've got an Analog Four, which is great for quirky drone, percussion and lead sounds, but not so good at big warm sounds.

I almost went for a .002r instead of the DSP based solution... that might have been a better route, but I don't think about it much. That thing does a fantastic impersonation of a pure analog synth, IMO. Better than the Prophet 12, at least. (though I could get the 12 in the neighborhood of the 08, but never perfectly) A much bigger "sweet spot" but not as good as the 12 at sounding distressed and aggressive. I'm not sure why DSI didn't use the analog waveforms built into the curtis chips for those types of sounds. I bet if they did you could get a dead on 08 sounds as well as all the things the 12 does. That would be something.
Old 26th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Just wondering what softsynths you use now to replace the p12 type sounds.
In particular the distressed and evolving/falling apart type and b.o.c. type sounds? Which software comes closest to the p12 distressed flavours do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
It's not that at all. It's many things more... but that... no. That's why there are no demos of it. If anything, the 12 is following in the VS's shoes more than the 5's. It's not really a modern VS either though.

Can you get some smooth analog sounding pads out of it? Sure. FM stuff, yeah, though DX? I kind of think I like it better than a DX.

Seems to me like you're looking for a single instrument to fill all your dreams. You'll be happier if you take on one dream at a time.

My personal take on things is that an OB6 makes me smile every time I hear it. A 12 in addition to it would be quite a duo but instead of it? It was my only hardware poly for a short time and... well no thanks. If I had more money and space, I'd for sure get a 12 module to add to the fun here, but I had to compromise so I went with a DSP based solution for digital sounds and virtual hybrid sounds and keep a handful of analogs around for what they're great at. Frankly I feel my digital synth needs are totally covered but I would love an analog poly. I've got an Analog Four, which is great for quirky drone, percussion and lead sounds, but not so good at big warm sounds.

I almost went for a .002r instead of the DSP based solution... that might have been a better route, but I don't think about it much. That thing does a fantastic impersonation of a pure analog synth, IMO. Better than the Prophet 12, at least. (though I could get the 12 in the neighborhood of the 08, but never perfectly) A much bigger "sweet spot" but not as good as the 12 at sounding distressed and aggressive. I'm not sure why DSI didn't use the analog waveforms built into the curtis chips for those types of sounds. I bet if they did you could get a dead on 08 sounds as well as all the things the 12 does. That would be something.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the insight.

Ya the OB is awesome sounding! Every time I hear a demo I smile. Its a dream synth sound for sure.

I guess maybe there isn't anything on the market right now that is 5 octave and can do the vintage stuff that great.

I am just not that blown away by the P6s sound. It sounds great layered up but for me by itself its just not a tone I love. Something about it is just very modern. I guess back in the day I would have been an OB guy. I have listened to the OB6 demos about 100 times LOL. Just with they OB6 it seems stupid with that dinky keyboard having to hook up a bigger one to really play it to its potential...

I just want a nice great sounding synth to sit and play and enjoy. I don't want one of these tinker toys with 37 mini keys. I want to be able to use an instrument and get to know it and explore what it can do. I feel like so much of these synths are just fancy beat makers. And if that your thing great I am not against it. But older stuff seemed like you could sit play and enjoy it not worry about recording it into a DAW and Arping it to death haha.

The P12 seemed like a solution, big keybed lots of voices and tons of lfo mod potential. I figured if it sounded at least half analog it would be a win due to how much it does under the hood. But again I am new to all of this I only have had one synth in past. DS talks it up like its the end all but of course he's selling stuff LOL. But it has gotten solid reviews around what I have read.

I did get a Sub 37 the other day but kinda am unsure if I am going to keep it. The monophonic no chords thing is killing me without another board in the house lol. Just end up messing around with it but its limited for sure in that its really monophonic and I am not a super lead player.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here's some basic poly saw and square patches from the P12 to give you an idea. I think you'd really enjoy the P12 for a master keyboard, it's a luxury with all the front panel knobs, interface, and build quality.

https://soundcloud.com/bcellis/prophet-12-sounds
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ya the 5 octaves thing is a hang up with me lol.

I played full pianos long enough that anything under 5 you can't play alot of covers and stuff. I was possibly thinking P12 for now and the OB6 later Midi controlled by the P12. Though the price makes me gasp.
Since you have piano experience, I just have to repeat that I think you will be disappointed with the P12 keyboard. It really is no good for piano style playing. Even the Sub 37 has better key response. I play a lot better on the Prophet 6 keyboard than on the P12. The key response is more important to me than an extra octave. And I need more than 5 octaves for piano playing anyway. The Jupiter-80 keyboard is perfect.

You might consider getting another synth (or keyboard controller) with the octaves and key response you need, and an OB-6 for the sounds and lighter playing. Roland keyboards excel, even the cheaper ones.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I did get a Sub 37 the other day but kinda am unsure if I am going to keep it. The monophonic no chords thing is killing me without another board in the house lol. Just end up messing around with it but its limited for sure in that its really monophonic and I am not a super lead player.
You can get lots of cool harmonies and retro passages going in duo mode. And the Sub 37 keyboard sends polyphonic notes over MIDI. As well as accepts a mono audio signal input. So you can play another synth polyphonically from the Sub 37 and mix its sound with the Sub 37 sound, both going through the excellent Moog filter.

I love doing that with a Commodore 64 in 3-voice polyphonic mode. The resulting sound is very rich and retro. You should try with your DX7, if you still have it. Or any sound source that has MIDI in and audio out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvonellis ➑️
Here's some basic poly saw and square patches from the P12 to give you an idea. I think you'd really enjoy the P12 for a master keyboard, it's a luxury with all the front panel knobs, interface, and build quality.

https://soundcloud.com/bcellis/prophet-12-sounds
Thanks very much for taking the time to record that! The squares sound awesome!

It sounds great to me. Like you said probably not retro but I prob cant get that out of anything these days that is reliable.

I dont think anything but a J8 is going to sound like a Jupiter. So quit while I am ahead lol. Seems the config if them is unique and long gone.

I think the more I listen to modern synth pop bands they are all digital or plug ins and it never stopped me liking them lol. Kavinsky is no hardware. Chromeo uses old stuff but always complains its broken.
Sounds retro but I bet its not being played on anything retro LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQnd8TEcEM4
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer ➑️
Just wondering what softsynths you use now to replace the p12 type sounds.
A few.

For digi-destressed: Reaktor 6. For the sounds that I thought the 12 did particularly well (kind of distressed feedback and overdriven sounds) I usually don't need polyphony. Yesterday I was f'n around with the Blocks system where I had two oscs from Monark with a user library created osc based on the Microwave running through the Monark filter (not sure if it's common knowledge in the hardware world but Monark is NI's Minimoog emulation and Blocks are it's new modular system). I had it set up so that two channels of my mixer would allow feedback from Monark Osc 1 and the Microwave Osc and I was using the Monark osc 2 as a source for audio rate modulation. Feed all that though a simple delay and... magic. The results, IMO, are easily as good, if not better, than anything I ever made on the Prophet 12. Again, it's monophonic (the Reaktor blocks system is, not Reaktor) and eats CPU cycles like horse flies eat the blood of New Jerseyans. (for the rest of the country, this means it can be a lot)

Mpowersynth: It also has very nice drive options and beautiful sounding oscillators. It uses the same oscillator editors for LFOs so you can really get far more creative here than with most hardware synths and their limited LFO types. It also has the best effects section on any software synth I'm aware of. Fizmoesque.

Omnisphere 2: A powerhouse. It's Prophet 12 oscillator wavetables sounded better to me than the Prophet 12's wavetable oscillators.

Falcon: This one came out of nowhere and really surprises me. I added on a couple of their vintage digital synth sample sets and in conjunction with its VA and wavetable engines it's amazing.

Diversion: One of my all time favorites. Four super flexible oscs with their own filter section and a two buss dual filter system.

ArcSyn: I don't own it (it just came out) but for $99 this thing is impressive. I just downloaded the demo this morning. (note to developers, perhaps a bit of time with a synth demo before it starts producing sounds of surf every 13 seconds would make for a less frustrating demo experience)

Etc. I could go on. There are a lot of very good software instruments and I don't want this to get into a hardware vs. software debate but I happen to love and currently been using the above instruments a lot since the 12 went to its new owner. None of those are Prophet 12 replacements in any exact sense, but they are to me. Some things I liked about the 12 aren't done by any of the synths mentioned. Of course, none have a fun physical interface, and the 12's is among if not, the best. For me it came down to issues of space and that caused me to take a much more critical look at the 12's shortcomings, or I should say what I perceived as its shortcomings. Everyone probably already knows my stance on the 12's analog style oscillator sound. (do a search if you don't)

Ultimately I did replace the 12 with a hardware digital, the XITE-1. I really like it but I didn't mention the software instruments I've been using on it because it's a proprietary system. Best Prophet 5 and Pro 1 emulations available (to my knowledge) though and as soon as I can scare up some extra cash I'll pick up John Bowen's ProWave which is kind of like the love child of the VS and a Waldorf Wave, but can be used inside Scope's modular system. This morning I hit the Scope Modular 4 environment and made a gigantic unison pad sound that totally confirmed my purchase. (I almost went from the Prophet 12 to the Modulus .002) I know I'm sounding like some rabid fanboi, but this system sounds amazing to my ears and it's truly a hardware synth in the sense that it does not touch my CPU and I can monitor it at zero latency. One thing that probably turns people off to it though, is that it's got no physical interface. It's just a 1u rack. For me, that's a feature because it let's me get the maximum of instrument in the smallest possible space so that when my mother in law visits there's not a big keyboard rack impeding her access to the closet.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the insight.

Ya the OB is awesome sounding! Every time I hear a demo I smile. Its a dream synth sound for sure.

I guess maybe there isn't anything on the market right now that is 5 octave and can do the vintage stuff that great.

I am just not that blown away by the P6s sound. It sounds great layered up but for me by itself its just not a tone I love. Something about it is just very modern. I guess back in the day I would have been an OB guy. I have listened to the OB6 demos about 100 times LOL. Just with they OB6 it seems stupid with that dinky keyboard having to hook up a bigger one to really play it to its potential...

I just want a nice great sounding synth to sit and play and enjoy. I don't want one of these tinker toys with 37 mini keys. I want to be able to use an instrument and get to know it and explore what it can do. I feel like so much of these synths are just fancy beat makers. And if that your thing great I am not against it. But older stuff seemed like you could sit play and enjoy it not worry about recording it into a DAW and Arping it to death haha.

The P12 seemed like a solution, big keybed lots of voices and tons of lfo mod potential. I figured if it sounded at least half analog it would be a win due to how much it does under the hood. But again I am new to all of this I only have had one synth in past. DS talks it up like its the end all but of course he's selling stuff LOL. But it has gotten solid reviews around what I have read.

Considering what they did to the Prophet 6 as a module, you might do well to sit tight until they release the OB6 as one. This way you can pair it with an 88 key weighted controller if you so desire. I never quite understand the mania behind having a synth with a built in keyboard. I like a single master board I'm just used to.

This is maybe just me, but when I play my current instruments (see other posts) I have no regrets of losing the 12, but every time I hear an OB6 demo I wish I had one. I'm not getting that with what I have. That's for sure.

Don't be too hard on the Sub37. It seems to me like you're judging it based on what it's not instead of what it is. A mono analog is a thing of beauty. Think of it not like an offshoot of an organ, but as a single voiced instrument like a horn or woodwind. I'm not saying it's the mono for you, but I've owned a Sub Phatty and I thought it was very nice. I only sold it because I felt my other monos did a somewhat better job at that big fat Moog sound and had more flexibility like oscillator cross modulation and oscillator filter modulation. That's crucial to me for a really mean beefy bass tone.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it all!

Ya I might just get the OB6 after reviews are up and confirm its solid and just deal with the keys.

Is something like the Nords that great for playing covers and stuff? I wonder if I am looking at stuff thats to specialized that are more for pros which I am not at all.

Seems like all you guys are making music and have bass machines and DAWs and stuff and I am just wanting a synth that I can play and enjoy haha. I kinda wanted to get the Volca Beats for some fun haha but I am no song writer.
Old 27th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it all!

Ya I might just get the OB6 after reviews are up and confirm its solid and just deal with the keys.

Is something like the Nords that great for playing covers and stuff? I wonder if I am looking at stuff thats to specialized that are more for pros which I am not at all.

Seems like all you guys are making music and have bass machines and DAWs and stuff and I am just wanting a synth that I can play and enjoy haha. I kinda wanted to get the Volca Beats for some fun haha but I am no song writer.
Well, if you want a great sounding instrument that's fun to play and covers lots of ground, maybe look at a ROMpler of some sort. My brother had an 88 key Yamaha with a Motif engine... I forget the name. That was years ago but it sounded great. I've owned Rolands. Korg, Roland and Yamaha all have good keyboards with really wide ranges of tones. Maybe they're not as tweakable as a Prophet 12, or OB6 but perfect playing around with and doing covers.
Old 28th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Anything to look out for when buying a used P12? Seems like you can get a pretty good deal on a lightly used one.
Old 28th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anything to look out for when buying a used P12? Seems like you can get a pretty good deal on a lightly used one.
The only thing I'm aware of is that some units had a weird noise issue at 11 kHz. I'm pretty sure that DSI will swap out the offending board for you regardless. Might want to check with DSI before you get one or have the seller verify that it doesn't have that defect. The one I had was flawless and built like a tank. It seemed to have very high build quality.
Old 28th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Check all the stepped encoders have a nice positive click through the full rotation and no values are being skipped. Pay especially close attention to the four encoders used for the display.

Running the calibration routine will help confirm everything is as it should be with the analog side.
Old 29th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Man it sounds pretty warm and fat here almost like a true DCO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az3_p_0z6vU

Alot of the demos make it sound cold and digital.
Old 29th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and workflow zerocrossing, nice!
πŸ“ Reply