Quantcast
Best Monitor Pair Under $1500 for EDM - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Monitor Pair Under $1500 for EDM
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A pair of Genelec 8030a's are around your budget, and you can add a 7050b sub later. I got that setup and I'm really happy with it.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippy ➑️
Once I had to mix a raggae song on a digidesign Icon.(treated room)

Two pairs of monitors were avaliable:
Dynaudio BM6a and Adam a77x.

I just mixed on the BM6a's. I thought the a77x sucked extremly.

Mids were ok, Highs were harsh to my ear and bass was colored as hell.

I wouldnt recommend them.

But maybe it also has to do with personal taste.
( dont like the Adam sound too much)

cheers
Personal taste has a lot to do with it ofcourse.
I dont like the Genelecs sound for example

The review on SOS is pretty raving: Adam A77X
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks again everyone. Regarding treatment, one person said its as simple as getting Auralex foam, while another said no foam at all. Another person said I should build my own bass traps and such. What is the best combination?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFieryTech ➑️
Thanks again everyone. Regarding treatment, one person said its as simple as getting Auralex foam, while another said no foam at all. Another person said I should build my own bass traps and such. What is the best combination?
Basically, if you want to control the bass you'll need bass traps and Auralex won't cut it. Probably something broadband for the reflection points plus bass traps. Check out the studio building forum for more info than you'll ever want.

-
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Agreed on the studio building/acoustics subforum. There's literally more than you will want to know there.

Long story short, fibrous absorption tends to be more effective ( and more importantly WAAAAAY cheaper per unit of performance) than foam, although if you dig past the kneejerk anti-foam trend that has developed on gearslutz, you will find that Auralex and similar products actually perform quite well even to very low frequencies. However, DIY fiberglass or mineral wool panels are probably more versatile and definitely way cheaper.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Audeze LCD2 - Rosewood | Audeze

or you can spend a little more and get these

Audeze LCD3 | Audeze
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
IMO you should go out and try the krk rokit rp10-3 , 3 way monitor with a 10" cone, it will go down pretty low, however don't expect a lot of spl, their amps only pump out 140w.
You can get them for about 1000$, the rest spend it on auralex or diy traps.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
AS much as people go on about treatment it's not essential and sometimes its not practical. I have lost count of the amount of top house producers studio's I have seen which have no sound treatment whatsoever. In fact I swear I saw a pic of Jamie Jones studio with a pair of Bigfoots and no treatment
The thing you don't realize is that in a ghetto sort of way, his room is treated.

The Expedit shelves filled with records on the left act like a broke ass diffuser, the heavy curtains with 6" of distance on the windows eat up HF reflections, and the upholstered chairs that we can only see the arms of in the foreground act as HF and LF traps.

I am not saying that the guy has a perfectly neutral environment, but he also isn't mixing in a box with a **** ton of HF reflections and LF nulling.

Mix in a nearly empty room with no treatment and you will understand the value of treatment extremely quickly. While an asymmetrical room within a room with 15'x24' dimensions and perfectly neutral sound treatment is out of most of our reach, "only a little ****ed up" compared to "totally ****ed up" makes a huge difference when you are mixing.

I'd bet JJ's room is closer to neutral than totally ****ed up. Knowledge of your room is how you negotiate the difference between good enough and ideal.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
Audeze LCD2 - Rosewood | Audeze

or you can spend a little more and get these

Audeze LCD3 | Audeze
These are a great investment if you want to be forced into giving up your career because your chewed up your ears by monitoring with headphones.

Headphones are good for a reference, but they don't replace hearing how a stereo mix sounds when it moves through the air. You will not be able to hear phase problems because the channels don't interact with each other when you use cans.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Buy my Genelecs, i've PM'd you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
First off, Auralex is pretty much the cheapest of cheap treatment. If you are going to make the investment, you need to get something that is at least decent quality, GIK Acoustic or RealTraps are good options here.

Secondly, just buying a bunch of random treatment and slapping it up on the walls is just as likely to make things worse than better. You need to place the treatment in the spaces that will make it most effective. So unless you are an acoustic engineer, you're going to get better results (and save more money) by consulting with someone that knows what they are doing and having them recommend a solution that is going to work for your specific space.

It's not difficult, just take some measurements of your walls and diagram it on a piece of paper or in something like Visio and send it to them. They'll tell you what you need to do based on your budget. I drew my room in Visio and sent it to the GIK guys and they put together a solution around $1K, so it's not expensive really or difficult at all. I could have just as easily just drew it out on a piece of paper with measurements and faxed it to them.

I find it funny that some people have no problem recommending monitors that cost thousands of dollars but have no problem tacking up the cheapest of cheap, crappy treatment, as if that is going to of any help at all. Even inexpensive monitors sound good in a decently treated room. It's not just the quality of the treatment options, but the placement in each individual room that is important. Buying a bunch of egg crate foam and covering the walls is not treatment. IF you are going any mixing whatsoever in that room, do yourself a favor and get decent treatment. It's not the most "sexy" purchase, and it's certainly not going to do anything for your GAS, but it's going to have a huge bang for the buck in terms of what it can do for your music.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
great post Eric
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Notions of whether or not to spend your money on the speakers you want (as the rest of this thread seems to have turned out) I personally prefer Dynaudio BM6As in this price range. Great monitors. I don't have any desire to upgrade any time soon, even though I currently have quite a bit of money saved up from the past few months of work for a studio upgrade - These monitors will last me a while!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➑️
Notions of whether or not to spend your money on the speakers you want (as the rest of this thread seems to have turned out) I personally prefer Dynaudio BM6As in this price range. Great monitors. I don't have any desire to upgrade any time soon, even though I currently have quite a bit of money saved up from the past few months of work for a studio upgrade - These monitors will last me a while!
I bought the BM6As last week (Mk 2's). I got them for $1300, I actually went in the store to listen to the BM5's but they said they had a deal on the 6's so I took those for basically the same price!

Really impressed, huge improvement from my rokit's I had previously.

Untreated room though so what do I reallly know
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? ➑️
The thing you don't realize is that in a ghetto sort of way, his room is treated.

The Expedit shelves filled with records on the left act like a broke ass diffuser, the heavy curtains with 6" of distance on the windows eat up HF reflections, and the upholstered chairs that we can only see the arms of in the foreground act as HF and LF traps.

I am not saying that the guy has a perfectly neutral environment, but he also isn't mixing in a box with a **** ton of HF reflections and LF nulling.

Mix in a nearly empty room with no treatment and you will understand the value of treatment extremely quickly. While an asymmetrical room within a room with 15'x24' dimensions and perfectly neutral sound treatment is out of most of our reach, "only a little ****ed up" compared to "totally ****ed up" makes a huge difference when you are mixing.

I'd bet JJ's room is closer to neutral than totally ****ed up. Knowledge of your room is how you negotiate the difference between good enough and ideal.
Interesting, thanks.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

This is just stuff acting as random "difusers" and "absorbers" without a care in how is affecting the room and your listening experience. It's a system: the room, listening position, speaker position, etc... (I read too much the studio acoustics subforum )

Of course 90% people have to deal with what they have, but what I dont understand is people spending big cash on monitors without realizing they wont unleash all their potential unless they are put in a good sounding room.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt ➑️
This is just stuff acting as random "difusers" and "absorbers" without a care in how is affecting the room and your listening experience. It's a system: the room, listening position, speaker position, etc... (I read too much the studio acoustics subforum )

Of course 90% people have to deal with what they have, but what I dont understand is people spending big cash on monitors without realizing they wont unleash all their potential unless they are put in a good sounding room.
Yep, I can't argue with any of your points. There is no point in spending money on high dollar monitors if your room is a mess.

The funny thing is that diy room treatment is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ok. You all have convinced me to consult someone about room treatment. Maybe could I even do it in the studio building forum by uploading a sketch of my room?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok. You all have convinced me to consult someone about room treatment. Maybe could I even do it in the studio building forum by uploading a sketch of my room?
Just email the guys at GIk Acoustics. They'll sort you out.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J ➑️
Just email the guys at GIk Acoustics. They'll sort you out.
+1
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear
Adam A7x would be the best buy for 1500 a pair as long as you are able to space them out in an equilateral triangle no more than 1.5 meters apart from you and each other since they are near fields. Yes also look at the room acoustics. Just diy some panels if you can.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear
I should mention that I mix and master dance music on Adam A7s. I also use and old pair of alesis mkii monitors for checking the bottom end as they are very bassy monitors. The a7x monitors have more bass than the original a7s. I also have large corner bass traps in the control room as well as acoustic panels

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ok. So, I just went to a shop yesterday and listened to the A7X, KH-120, and the CMS65. But I will be soon walking out with the SE Munro Egg 150s. Damn those things sound good. Frankly, after I heard them, I couldn't bead to listen to the other speakers again. I know they're expensive, but I found a way to stretch my budget. If you haven't, listen to the Eggs!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ ➑️
AS much as people go on about treatment it's not essential and sometimes its not practical. I have lost count of the amount of top house producers studio's I have seen which have no sound treatment whatsoever. In fact I swear I saw a pic of Jamie Jones studio with a pair of Bigfoots and no treatment

If you learn your room and practice practice practice, throw in a bit of talent and you are good to go.
Damn those are some huge freaking icons.

Like everyone else says, get a cheaper pair and spend the extra on treatment. It'll be well worth it.

I love when people argue with me about stuff like this. One friend tried to tell me that he didn't need room treatment because his room had great acoustics without treatment and that the monitors he was going to buy were expensive. Obviously his monitors were nice, but his room not so much.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Focal CMS 65
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
****ing hell, this should be simple stuff and not something to spend pages and pages discussing. It's not either / or. You need good monitors and you need a good room. Because good monitors with crap acoustics equals a crap result and bad monitors with great acoustics also equals a crap result.

My advice: Buy great monitors and start treating your room immediately. Then finish treating your room as soon as possible after that. Why? Because ou can build on room treatment, but you can't usually build your monitors better (although there are exceptions). There's no tragedy in gradual improvement in acoustics: you can get a passable result with some home made traps, for instance, and then build or buy more traps when more money comes in.

Never buy monitors you're only half happy with in order to save money even if that money is going towards room treatment, because you can treat the **** out of your whole neighbourhood and you're still going to get a crap result if your speakers aren't good enough. But GREAT monitors, and then find the money to fix up your room with some good traps and whatever else is needed. Get an extra job if you have to. I have invested in some terrific monitoring, and it's worth it. Not only does my stuff translate well, but my studio is also an absolute joy to work in - which results in my doing more and most importantly better work there than I otherwise would have. I'd hate to ever have to work with subpar monitors and / or lousy acoustics again.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
****ing hell, this should be simple stuff and not something to spend pages and pages discussing. It's not either / or. You need good monitors and you need a good room. Because good monitors with crap acoustics equals a crap result and bad monitors with great acoustics also equals a crap result.

My advice: Buy great monitors and start treating your room immediately. Then finish treating your room as soon as possible after that. Why? Because ou can build on room treatment, but you can't usually build your monitors better (although there are exceptions). There's no tragedy in gradual improvement in acoustics: you can get a passable result with some home made traps, for instance, and then build or buy more traps when more money comes in.

Never buy monitors you're only half happy with in order to save money even if that money is going towards room treatment, because you can treat the **** out of your whole neighbourhood and you're still going to get a crap result if your speakers aren't good enough. But GREAT monitors, and then find the money to fix up your room with some good traps and whatever else is needed. Get an extra job if you have to. I have invested in some terrific monitoring, and it's worth it. Not only does my stuff translate well, but my studio is also an absolute joy to work in - which results in my doing more and most importantly better work there than I otherwise would have. I'd hate to ever have to work with subpar monitors and / or lousy acoustics again.
Thank you for this!! I was considering all the ones mentioned but event before I heard the Eggs, I didn't really like the other monitors. I was willing to get them even though I didn't like them so that I could have afforded them and ample room treatment, but if I didn't like them in a professionally treated room, then what's the point. So I'm getting something that I will keep for a long time rather than settling on something that I know I will have to replace sooner or later. Once my wallet recovers, I can get some good treatment.
Old 1st April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
These are a great investment if you want to be forced into giving up your career because your chewed up your ears by monitoring with headphones.

Headphones are good for a reference, but they don't replace hearing how a stereo mix sounds when it moves through the air. You will not be able to hear phase problems because the channels don't interact with each other when you use cans.
The Audeze are open-backed and their soundstage is reported by many to be very accurate (I've never heard them myself).

Also...is one guaranteed to "chew up" his ears if sensible volume levels are always maintained?
Old 1st April 2013
Deleted User
Its money better spent to just get good speakers. You have to go overboard on the room to get reflections down. There is no situation where cheaper speakers is better.
Old 1st April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ ➑️

If you learn your room and practice practice practice, throw in a bit of talent and you are good to go.
Well...he has to be doing something right.. He has a JX8P and the PG800...and a JD800... but all kidding aside... Those heavy drapes in the live end of his studio do a lot in terms of treatment. Not only the density of the material, but the corrugated shape of the folds (diffusion) just because they don't look like the off the shelf solutions...doesn't matter. effective
πŸ“ Reply