Quantcast
Convergent technologies and its impact on Club djing (HELP!) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Convergent technologies and its impact on Club djing (HELP!)
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Convergent technologies and its impact on Club djing (HELP!)

Hi everyone, I'm currently writing an essay on convergence in DJing, I'm struggling quite hard finding academic sources to site to help with my analysis.

Basically I'm starting off by showing how technologies converged to create the modern DJ (by the 80s) and then how DJing has had technologies converge to it since.

But if anyone knows of any sources, or information that could help I'd be extremely grateful.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
itunes dj's are dah bomb
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Look into the beginnings of hip hop.

Also, you might want to differentiate between the types of DJs, otherwise your research will get very messy and pointless very quickly.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Who says you need academic sources? Go to youtube/google and search for interviews with the guys who have been doing it for the last 20 years.

A-trak
Theo Parish
Carl Cox
some other people
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
well I need materials I can reference in the essay, factual information where I can say "this caused this because", also material to talk about the convergence between club DJing and live production (ableton live, mpd's, etc). I've narrowed it to club DJs, so house/techno etc etc
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance ➑️
Who says you need academic sources? Go to youtube/google and search for interviews with the guys who have been doing it for the last 20 years.

A-trak
Theo Parish
Carl Cox
some other people
it's a good idea, but I need credible sources, more often than not these guys are being paid or sponsored to give talks about certain products so they aren't at all reliable.

I've looked at some Bill Brewster books but I'm struggling to find more information on the topic.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
There's a ton of DJ and artist interviews on Resident Advisor, and Beatport.
They always talk about how DJ'ing has changed over the last 20 years. What gear they're using. What inspires them etc.....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor ➑️
well I need materials I can reference in the essay, factual information where I can say "this caused this because"
You're not going to get a lot of that when it comes to this topic IMO.

Best bet when it comes to something like this, write about something that you know you'll be able to find enough info about. Is better than choosing something and realizing you have no info at all.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor ➑️
more often than not these guys are being paid or sponsored to give talks about certain products so they aren't at all reliable.
Well you just have to read what they say and decide if it's biased or not.
I don't think DJ's are paid to favour Wav's instead of vinyl. I don't think the first DJ's who went digital and started to mix sparse sections of tracks together, with some of their own sounds, which then became new, live dance tracks created on the fly, were paid to do so.
So you can talk about the evolution from vinyl, to cd, to live sequencing with 'DJ Tools' without worrying about to much bias.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…