Quantcast
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Virus has a sound like any synth, but virus fanboys have a sound of their own.

I find it funny you call Virus the best NOWDAYS synth. Isn't 90% of the engine from like 1998? Pretty old if you ask me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's always good to have some good hardware VA and the Virus is of course a bit the king in this department. It's some of the hardware synth which can compete also 2013 against some of the best plug-in synth. But "the best" is for everyone a different kettle of fish.
I like the Virus... yes.. but use more often the Nord Lead. Does this mean that the Nord Lead is the best nowadays synth? I don't think so.

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
I check your keyboard videos all the time, love them!
Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musden ➑️
The Radikal Technologies Accelerator easily can beat the Virus in sound features. Acc is very smart instrument. Actually you could complement Acc with Virus multiple synthesis engine, because it is Virus's advance. It would be great setup for electronic musician and composer.
The Accelerator sounds amazing but it sounds nothing like a Virus. The Virus has its own sound, its pretty much the 'sound' of modern trance/dance lead synths, you know those trendy wide stereo synth sounds. Whilst the Accelerator excels at making vintage analogue timbres from the late 70's and 80's.It's very under rated!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden ➑️
Virus has a sound like any synth, but virus fanboys have a sound of their own.

I find it funny you call Virus the best NOWDAYS synth. Isn't 90% of the engine from like 1998? Pretty old if you ask me.
Its a very good sounding osc. Used on countless big records. Why would you change it? It's like saying Lexicon's 480s don't sound good any more because the algorithm is old.

Perhaps if Access made a new synth that wasn't a Virus. Then you could say "hey", they should stick a brand new osc and filter with a different sound and forget about their heritage.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden ➑️
It's got a warm, vintage virtual analogue vibe...
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

Yup, great work...i think i have two sets from him
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
Its a very good sounding osc.
Actually, i respectfully disagree. I really like my Virus TI Snow, but the raw oscillator sound is somewhat underwhelming. When I compare the raw saw wave to one of my analogs (Moog, Korg, Roland) it sounds a bit sterile... i hate that word, as it's overused, but what I MEAN when I say sterile is that there is no motion or life in the raw wave, and it's hard to quantify. Now, the SQUARE wave.... I actually LIKE that stability, and other than my Roland AJ1 (which matches it) if I need a square wave bass, lead, or pad the Virus is my go-to!

The other options, such as hypersaw (a way to get a slightly different sounding saw osc, but using just one "instance" and turning the knob all the way left), wavetable, formant and grain are fantastic for sound design... also, I admit that I often don't think of using the other 60+ waves in the "classic" osc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
Actually, i respectfully disagree. I really like my Virus TI Snow, but the raw oscillator sound is somewhat underwhelming. When I compare the raw saw wave to one of my analogs (Moog, Korg, Roland) it sounds a bit sterile... i hate that word, as it's overused, but what I MEAN when I say sterile is that there is no motion or life in the raw wave, and it's hard to quantify.
The general issue with many-things digital is that it is stable and you have to color it yourself. There is no take-it or leave-it built-in circuit mojo sweetspots. The pro is that you can shape the sound or waveform exactly how you want it. The con is that you have to shape the sound and how it responds exactly how you want it every time. While digital is more convenient it paradoxically requires more work.

The other pro is that it is often cheaper and requires less maintenance. The con being it holds no resale value -- if the EULA even lets you re-sell it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon ➑️
The general issue with many-things digital is that it is stable and you have to color it yourself. There is no take-it or leave-it built-in circuit mojo sweetspots. The pro is that you can shape the sound or waveform exactly how you want it. The con is that you have to shape the sound and how it responds exactly how you want it every time. While digital is more convenient it paradoxically requires more work.

The other pro is that it is often cheaper and requires less maintenance. The con being it holds no resale value -- if the EULA even lets you re-sell it.
You beat me to it. I was about to write almost the same thing - the basic sounds are static, but there are so many different ways to get them moving that the end result can be be very fluid, and completely under the user's control.

D.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK... I'll come clean. Apart from the NordLead, most of now-made synths including Virus (without effects) areSHIIIIT!
I said it. They sound f....ing lame!!! Analog included(Moog and DSI too)
Just hope korg will bring hope back! Vintage sound(being digital or analog) is kind of lost.. that gritiness and creaminess and rawness..
Sad!!!! :(
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Well, time to take my popcorn...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

The TI sucks, in fact i prefer sylenth 1 and tyrel nexus 6 to the TI any day of the week.

The TI does not even pull off the virus b and A sounds good. It sounds thinner, more distant and does not sit in the mix as well. The presets are drenched in fx, when you take off the fx, the sound is very anemic even compared to the Virus B.

If you want a virus. GET THE A OR B because they cut in the mix, and sit well with other things and punch harder. The TI sounds like a softsynth, but not even as good tone wise as the plugins i mentioned above.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➑️
The TI sounds like a softsynth
That's because it IS a softsynth, just like any Virus before it. They're all softsynths in a box.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a typical virus asshole fanboy...
I quite like the new filters; they really round out the sound, in tandem with the old ones. Too bad it removes access to some of its fx, but there's always workarounds.
I do agree that the number of fx can, and do, muddy up the sound, when piled on. But that is true of fx in general. A chorus'd delay into a reverb is bound to get messy, synced or not.
The only problem with the oscillators is they could be quite a bit louder... (as could the whole synth, in comparison to most synths i've used). This could be a signal to noise ratio decision, on the part of access. The osc's are very dynamic however, and make amazing woody to metallic timbres, that track perfectly, always.
To say the dsp is too old is the same as saying there was no good digital synthesis up to that point, which is absurd. Even with the current choices, this unit consecutively makes it to the top of a lot of musician's lists.
Calling the virus software, while accurate, is in fact calling it a computer. You need a computer to run software and a computer is hardware. The virus is definitely hardware. Sure there are computer processors/software that could put the virus to shame. But by that point, you would have bought a computer, software, midi keyboard, (or not), and an audio bus, bringing you into a comparable price range.
Yeah yeah... Computers can do a lot more, but as this site exemplifies in many threads; a lot of musicians simply don't like/trust them. I feel less about them, but that's only because I know they will eventually be our masters.
Hahaha, but I will always be the master of my virus, because with all the software, apps (-ugh!), and analogue synths, (includes moog & euro), it's gonna take one helluvan audio revolution for me to get rid of it.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon ➑️

Absolutely! I agree 100%, I CAN MAKE my Virus sound stunning....my post was simply disagreeing with a single sentence in a larger post. Sweep the LP filter on a raw saw wave and its somehow less satisfying on my Virus than on my analog synths. However, how often do we use just a single saw with no treatment in real music? The entire package is what makes the Virus a Virus, and it actually IS legendary in EDM for it's sound. When I bough the Snow, I was making Dubstep and was extremely satisfied with it, now I'm back to more "organic" music (Nu-Disco, Funk, Downtempo) and I have to be a bit more careful when I design sounds with it..... I still use it in every track. The only 2 plug-ins that I like as much as my hardware are DIVA(of course) and OP-X(stunning recreation)
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan ➑️
OK... I'll come clean. Apart from the NordLead, most of now-made synths including Virus (without effects) areSHIIIIT!
Just hope korg will bring hope back! Vintage sound(being digital or analog) is kind of lost.. that gritiness and creaminess and rawness..
Sad!!!! :(
That is certainly provocative! Do you own a large stable of vintage hardware to compare them to? I thought my slim phatty stood up pretty well next to the Source.... And never did much care for the ability to fry an egg on the Source's back panel

There were differences, but they were certainly subtle and VERY subtle in a mix scenario.

(I'm not mocking you, BTW, I'm asking a serious question)
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i am really thinking my newly gotten g2 is now my favorite digital,

sounds very different then the virus, but the options are what makes it best for me,,,, especially the fm stuff. drums too,

i have the snow, really love it though, i like big trancy and effect drenched sounds, could care less about bare oscillators, the effects are as part of the sounds to me as a filter or envelope.... i dont make trance, just like those leads,,, very energetic,,,, the nord g2 is better at evolving sounds,,,

as far as figuring out best,, in the synth world, you might as well replace that word with food. then it shows how subjective it is,,, sure everyone knows McDonald's isn't the best,,, but anything besides that is just debatable,,, its mostly what its used for,,, virus makes bad dx7 style sounds,,, its not the best,, at that,,,,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
Sweep the LP filter on a raw saw wave and its somehow less satisfying on my Virus than on my analog synths.
I agree with you. A part of me has "digital customization fatigue," especially since I spend a lot of time in Adobe-world as well.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

DSPs process audio better than tradition processors!

DSP synths usually sound much better. Not always, i still prefer the korg prophecy and z1 to most software synths. I prefer the jp8080 to any soft synths for pads and strings.

I like the kronos better than a lot of the soft synths too.

Still the TI's tone, just seems so diminished in some way compared to the old Virus synths. The tone of the B sits in a mix great, as to where the TI is a chore to sit in the mix.

I hate the total integration as well, it has all the knobs, why edit in the box, usb was flakey with horrid midi timing to boot. I just do not like anything about the TI, wave tables, Get a waldorf, super saw? Get the jp8000 it sounds way better. Virus tone? Get teh B A, Or C cause they sit in the mix better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I hate the total integration as well, it has all the knobs, why edit in the box, usb was flakey with horrid midi timing to boot. I just do not like anything about the TI, wave tables, Get a waldorf, super saw? Get the jp8000 it sounds way better. Virus tone? Get teh B A, Or C cause they sit in the mix better.
I actually think the Total Integration is a bit of a masterpiece (albeit a slightly flawed one).

The Virus is far from being a one-knob-per-function synth. It doesn't have that many knobs, and it has a hell of a lot of functions. Programming it from scratch from the knobs can be a bit of a chore, whereas from the plug-in it's very simple to get to all the parameters.

Also, the plug-in lets you get a good look at how a program is made, which is completely impossible from the panel. You can get a lot of good ideas by going through the presets and seeing how they are done.

I certainly am not trying to to convince anyone that the Virus is the world's greatest synth. I don't believe such as thing exists. However I do think Access do deserve a lot of credit for the TI interface.

As for the USB timing; it seems to work OK mostly with my Mac and Logic. You do have to be very careful with the audio parameters. If the buffer size is not set right then it's horrible.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
DSPs process audio better than tradition processors!

DSP synths usually sound much better. Not always, i still prefer the korg prophecy and z1 to most software synths. I prefer the jp8080 to any soft synths for pads and strings.

I like the kronos better than a lot of the soft synths too.

Still the TI's tone, just seems so diminished in some way compared to the old Virus synths. The tone of the B sits in a mix great, as to where the TI is a chore to sit in the mix.

My friend, Kronos synth part is plain vst...plain
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's really a taste choice, I love my Virus for everything I get from it especially pads. I don't care about raw sound, once it's thrown on the track with other instruments and sounds, it sounds great. It has its own character. I have a few vsts I thought I would like, but I prefer the sound of my Virus. To me, vsts don't hold a candle up to the Virus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
I have a few vsts I thought I would like, but I prefer the sound of my Virus. To me, vsts don't hold a candle up to the Virus.
Some of them do. You can't really generalise like that about all VSTs, some of them are brilliant.

I do agree about the pads though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
That's because it IS a softsynth, just like any Virus before it. They're all softsynths in a box.
I agree 100% that it's a soft synth in a box.

Is that necessarily a bad thing however? I'm not personally a fan of the Virus, but there are plenty of hardware digital synths I think are fantastic and I don't feel that being software inside its own machine need be a negative.

Don't your beloved Kurzweils also fall under this moniker?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
The TI sucks, in fact i prefer sylenth 1 and tyrel nexus 6 to the TI any day of the week.

The TI does not even pull off the virus b and A sounds good. It sounds thinner, more distant and does not sit in the mix as well. The presets are drenched in fx, when you take off the fx, the sound is very anemic even compared to the Virus B.

If you want a virus. GET THE A OR B because they cut in the mix, and sit well with other things and punch harder. The TI sounds like a softsynth, but not even as good tone wise as the plugins i mentioned above.
that can't be correct. I can play TI "classic" patches on the Virus B, and Virus B patches on the TI.... they sound the same! (unless you're talking about USB audio, which is a totally different and endlessly debated subject!)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan ➑️
I have to wonder why the NordLead, such a dry, shrill, brittle synth, doesn't sound lame to you, but those others do.

Don't get me wrong, the Nords have their place in the spectrum of synths. But with their sound engine being biased quite a bit in the mid to high end, great for cutting through a mix, they sound just a bit lean and overly bright to me. In the case of the Nord Modulars though, who cares?

The Virus, and I would add the KORG Radias and Novation VAs, are the three eternal VAs which could sit well in any keyboard stack. The Virus is likely the most versatile, sounding both muted and vintage as well as bright and modern, with great dual resonant multimode filters, three OSCs with digital waves and a sub too!, as well as a wealth of proper knobs on the panel. The terrific effects section is nice icing on the cake. It also has some nice modular patching ability for complex sounds. If I had to pick one VA, it would be between the Virus and Radias, and could well be the Virus.

Of course the King KORG completely threw that equation out the window. heh

By the way, EvilD was most likely just making an observation, not being critical.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Hate to single anyone out, but I hope someone looking for experienced advice doesn't take this seriously. If you haven't had the opportunity to try all this gear extensively, glib sweeping statements like those above are not helping you choose a synth.

In fact reading forums when you have no experience of the gear is detrimental to your wallet and music. Whatever you own, someone has a short sentence completely dismissing it, and praises something which you will hate.

Something "doesn't sit in the mix" because you have not chosen the right sound. The synth didn't do it, you did!

B
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That "sit in the mix" line baffles me too. Nothing has ever sat in a mix for me quite the same way twice, whether it's an analog synth, VA, FM, guitar, bass, anything. Every track is a little different, it's just a matter of balance, and some engineers find it easier to balance things than others. Maybe I'm one of them, I dunno, but I've never found anything to be that much trouble to sort out. Then again, I'm not trying to be Skrillex or track EDM.
πŸ“ Reply