VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Because it's pretty much true.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think they are nice synthesizers but WAAAY overpriced.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
What a charming expression ...
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly ➑️
I think they are nice synthesizers but WAAAY overpriced.
I have one and completely agree. Mine was just over Β£2100 but it really isn't worth more than Β£1499 new.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I have an Virus Ti Snow for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
While I think the virus is a fantastic synth capable of a whole helluva lot- definitely more than most out there, I think it is a jack of all trades but a master of none. Wow, that actually sounds a lot more harsh than I meant it to. After replacing the virus with a few other, cheaper, more focused machines, I think I was happier with their flexibility and the sound I was able to get. For instance, I feel that my XT is a better wavetable synth versus what the Virus was capable of in that area. For strictly VA, I'm happier with my JP8k and Prophecy. Obviously I think it's a huge complement that it takes multiple synths to replace one Virus and it would of course be asking too much for it to be the best at EVERYTHING it does so this is by no means a knock at it. It's just not for everyone.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
The clock controlling a DCO and the pitch of the DCO will hardly come "close together" at all. Those clocks usually run at several MHz, while the pitch of the DCO will hardly go above 8 KHz. We're talking about at least three orders of magnitude here.

The problem with a DCO playing high notes is that the DCO frequency must always be a divisor of the clock frequency, and as the note becomes higher, the separation between notes becomes wider and wider, making it difficult to find divisors that match those precise frequencies. In other words, the difference between VCOs and DCOs is that a DCO is uncapable of oscillating at any arbitrary frequency: their frequency range is quantized.

There is no Nyquist limit since the actual audio signal is being generated in the analog domain (with a theoretically infinite bandwidth). No sampling process takes place at any point. What you're hearing is probably the effect of inharmonic (e.g., out of tune) notes due to the frequency quantization that is inherent to DCOs.

No no no! Please re-read that portion of my post.... In that part of the post I'm talking about a DIGITAL system, not a DCO. An audio example will help this conversation.... An analog synth CANNOT actually have aliasing artifacts, but in both my mks50 and my alpha Juno 1, when I play VERY high on the keyboard I hear frequency mirroring that SOUNDS similar to sweeping a sine wave upwards past the nyquist frequency in a digital system!

If you own one, try it.... You will hear an interaction between the clock signal(I presume) and the audio signal.... All I was trying to state is that the DCO synths that I own can produce some high frequency artifacts that can be objectionable like aliasing in a digital system (like the Virus)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan ➑️
All modern analog I bought let me down on sound, really:( About the VA just the same... what,.. Gaia? Come on!...

if you turn off the fx on the virus the sound don t let you down?
lot of modern analog lack the charm of some of the best analog synths but with quality fxs i find it still better than a va for some sounds.

i can't totally love a synth that have a raw sound that don't really impress me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
if you turn off the fx on the virus the sound don t let you down?
I don't really get this kind of criticism of the Virus. The effects are as much a part of the sound architecture as the envelopes and LFOs. They are also extremely high-quality. Why would you judge it without taking into account one of its prime features?

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't really get this kind of criticism of the Virus. The effects are as much a part of the sound architecture as the envelopes and LFOs. They are also extremely high-quality. Why would you judge it without taking into account one of its prime features?

D.
using fx to hide bad raw sound compromise the quality to me,in a perfect world i would use fx only to make what sound great even better, i like to be impressed by a synth by his raw sound ,otherwise it s love and hate,almost anything can sound decent with good fxs and lot of wet signal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
No no no! Please re-read that portion of my post.... In that part of the post I'm talking about a DIGITAL system, not a DCO.
I see. I apologize for the confusion. Anyway, I was trying to explain where the sound you perceive as aliasing, when playing high notes on a DCO-based synth, may come from. I believe it's more an effect of the frequency quantization (inherent to the clock-division technique used by DCOs) than what you describe (harmonics mirroring back from the main clock frequency).

Back on topic: No, the Virus TI is not *the* best VA synthesizer. Neither synth is. It may be the best for some people, such as the OP, but other people are free to prefer other synths over the TI. I'm partial myself to the Nord Lead 3 and Nord G2, although I have yet to try a Waldorf Q. Why do people feel the need to shove their personal preferences down everyone's throats? I don't know.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
using fx to hide bad raw sound compromise the quality to me,in a perfect world i would use fx only to make what sound great even better, i like to be impressed by a synth by his raw sound otherwise it s love and hate, anything can sound good with fxs
That might be valid if the raw sound of the Virus was actually bad.

I don't think it's bad at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

D.
Because efx can be added to any sound.

The first thing I do to test a synth is:
1 50/50 pulse through the filter and change the cutoff and resonance.
A good synth will get your dick hard just doing that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesthai ➑️
Because efx can be added to any sound.

The first thing I do to test a synth is:
1 50/50 pulse through the filter and change the cutoff and resonance.
A good synth will get your dick hard just doing that.
That's odd. I use a sawtooth...

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That might be valid if the raw sound of the Virus was actually bad.

I don't think it's bad at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

D.
this is about taste so we can't argue, me i find it bad to good but rarely great.

you just had your virus if i m right, wait one year or two your opinion might change like mine did
Old 24th January 2013
Deleted d22f2ee
[QUOTE=sentokan;8667698]For some reason, people are putting down the Virus. Either that sounds worse than analog or same with vsts. NONE of these are true!

i agree , the virus is the best softsynth in hardware form i ever used , what i like is the way it blends with other vst synths so well but what i really like with the ti is the way it shreds my speaker cones when its multimode goes into ' glitch and splutter ' .What a beauty.

Did anyone actually try the Ti in multimode ? and get more than 6 patches working with digital errors in stand alone mode ? Anyone else here part of the Access unpaid beta tester / speaker shredder club ?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I am an electrical engineer, but (and its a BIG but!) that doesn't make me an expert at all things.... We can talk analog filter design all day, but I've never built or even implemented a DCO system... Not in the true sense. I've approximated one by controlling the discharge of a multivibrator(no bad jokes please! ) with a 555 timer circuit, but that's incredibly crude compared to even the most basic of commercial designs.... So, I'm not claiming technical expertise, simply empirical experience. I've not studied the reasons behind what I'm hearing, merely speculating about the possible causes.... I think I remember that the AJ clock runs around 8MHz so of course the actual fundamental(or even harmonics) don't interact in the way it seems I stated...(re reading that part of the post, I see where I postulated that exact wrong idea!)..... However, to the best of my understanding the primary difference between a VCO and a DCO is ONLY that frequency control is under digital/computer control as opposed to an RC or LC network...thereby reducing the importance of precision matched componentry. So.... If that is correct, and my synths with VCOs don't exhibit these artifacts, but my DCO synths DO, I could be excused for suspecting some sort of interaction with the clock controlling frequency! I am totally aware that saying ALIASING and DCO in the same sentence opened me up to questions and ridicule.... My own damn fault!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Shadowfac.... I was typing the above post as you answered the question.... Sorry for continuing off-topic!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
why the virus is often critized too? cause it s very versatile.. and like 85% of the versatile stuff it's beat in many aera by things that do less but do it great, one trick pony..
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

I bought my TI used for $1100

Best grand ive spent on music stuff...though komplete ultimate comes close
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

you just had your virus if i m right, wait one year or two your opinion might change like mine did
I've only had my TI for a couple of weeks, but it isn't my first Virus. I had a Virus Rack for quite a while, and sold it, not because I didn't like the sound, but because I got fed up with the interface and the jumpy encoders.

The parts which the TI and the Rack have in common sound more or less the same.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
.... My own damn fault!
No need to take it so personal, Jimmy. This is the internet.

The problem, I think, is that the context of a post often does not reflect if the poster is stating a fact or his own personal opinion. Sometimes it is the latter, and people will interpret it as a claim of facts, and act accordingly (often by trying to disprove those claims with their own subjective opinions). This is why statements like "The Virus is the best VA" or "DCOs alias" have a high likelihood of becoming a crap storm. They try to express beliefs and opinions as if they were facts, causing people to feel compelled to disprove them.

After 15 years frequenting forums and message boards, I've learned to overuse phrases like "I believe", "I think", "it may". I've also learned to consider all posts as "personal opinions" unless clearly stated otherwise. And I've also learned to avoid making assumptions about other forum members: I do not assume they're less (or more) educated than me, or that they know less (or more) than me about something. We do not only have musicians, aspiring musicians, and hobbyists here. We also have engineers (of all kinds, not just sound enginners), lawyers, teachers, doctors, people with master degrees and Ph.D.'s, cab drivers, etc. And *any* of them may have more experience than me in a given topic. Flashing credentials here does not increase credibility.

Sorry for going off-topic. It wasn't such an interesting topic, anyway. heh
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Fair enough....

Back to the topic at hand, the Virus IS an excellent synthesizer, and sometimes it surprises me with it's depth and expressiveness! I often use it for arps, pads, and sub-leads/harmony parts, since it is so capable.

Nowadays, my REAL use for the Virus is that of a writing tool. I write all my parts on the virus, just going from 1, 2, 3, 4, etc... and playing the parts in as I feel the music, without concentrating on sound design/choice at ALL....
(Check out Future Music 260 "In the Studio with Aeroplane" video for this exact methodology!...it's too new to be online yet, but only costs $5 on an iPhone/Pad) After I've got my MUSIC
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
Except the A4 doesn't have a keyboard attached to it.
Mine does... a Virus TI2.

I haven't had much time to mess around with the A4, but I've seen enough YouTube videos of others noodling around with theirs to know that you can definitely create some lush sounding patches. You may have to use the neighbor-track feature (where you can link Osc 2 to the next track's oscillators) to create a more rich sound, but it is possible.

Now... on the order of a Virus? No way, but... it is pure analog.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Virus is the really the only "serious" pure hardware synth still being actively developed and made. Most other manufacturers either stopped releasing synths altogether or only put out budget-oriented models and workstations/ROMplers. So at this point it really is the superior hardware synth because it no longer has any competition (you can't compare the €650 Gaia to the €2400 TI2 Polar).

I think this development coincided with general-purpose CPUs overtaking dedicated DSP's in processing power around 2005. Also, multi-core CPUs made it possible to run many more virtual instruments without bogging the system down. When a single CPU core no longer had to run the entire show, the whole "offload your CPU" argument kind of became invalid over night. Some of the algorithms used the top modern VST instruments would really choke the poor old DSP chips in the Virus. Still, it's amazing what the Virus can do with its limited DSP power, even though you can hear the age of its digital synth engine at times, when dealing with fast modulations, high resonance, the pure oscillator sound etc.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Virus is a software synth packed in a box. I wouldn't call it a hardware synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
Virus is a software synth packed in a box. I wouldn't call it a hardware synth.
So you wouldn't call any digital synth a hardware synth?

All those classics like the DX7, Korg M1, Roland JD-800, Waldorf XT. According to your reasoning, they are not hardware synths.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Sound in them is ultimately generated via software, so... Software in a box.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
Sound in them is ultimately generated via software, so... Software in a box.
I was reading about the Solaris today. Apparently it actually started out as a software plug-in, and was then developed into a hardware synth. Literally a plug-in in a dedicated box.

Ultimately all of this makes no difference at all of course.

D.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Yep.
πŸ“ Reply