The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➡️
surprising there is no news from access at namm? i was expecting a new virus , a snow 2, something...
Dude... i'm not so sure that Access has the resources to bring products to market like they once did.... I am certainly only speculating, but I've heard that the economic issues of the past few years have hit them pretty hard.

Maybe they could sell a retrofit for all of our existing TI products where the USB total integration system doesn't need a PCI usb card all to itself to function properly!!! For me, that mean I lost the slot for one of my Lynx AES cards!!! not cool.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➡️
I REALLY wish people would stop using the word "Troll" every time someone posts something they don't agree with. It's getting REALLY old and corny.

A TROLL is someone who just come and posts bull****/fake threads trying to get a rise out of the board.

Example:

"I wanna make da fat beatz should i get da MPC?"
Total Posts: 3
Troll

Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my TI Snow. I don't want it to be warm and vintage. It has a unique badass sound all its own. I have a JD990 for warm.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The thread is titled really best nowadays synth

Well that's obviously the Elektron Analog four
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➡️
surprising there is no news from access at namm? i was expecting a new virus , a snow 2, something...
I'd be surprised if we see anything truly new from Access in the next few years. They've got several years of time and effort invested into getting the Total Integration working well for most users. I doubt they'd abandon it after it's finally matured and packed with impressive features. Maybe soon we'll see a TI3 with double the processing power and USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connectivity? Although I doubt the core sound engine would be anything different.

I just hope they can keep offering the most current updates for my 1st gen TI desktop.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek ➡️
The thread is titled really best nowadays synth

Well that's obviously the Elektron Analog four
OOOH... have you picked one up? I've been meaning to ask a "real person" about their opinions... how about compared to any of your other gear?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➡️
OOOH... have you picked one up? I've been meaning to ask a "real person" about their opinions... how about compared to any of your other gear?
Its the first truly desert island analog, the quality of the synthesis + sequencer just set it apart from anything on the market, sorry but the mighty virus has nothing on this swede box
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Its the first truly desert island analog, the quality of the synthesis + sequencer just set it apart from anything on the market, sorry but the mighty virus has nothing on this swede box
Yea if you want bloopity bleep techno triggered by a step sequencer, but not if you want lush soundscapes and crazy fx.

Two different beasts. Maybe the virus doesn't have anything on the A4 in some respects, but the A4 is also no match for the virus in its own right.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I didnt know aliasing was a problem with the Virus lol

V1rus Fanboy 4ever hear!!1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Except the A4 doesn't have a keyboard attached to it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion ➡️
Yea if you want bloopity bleep techno triggered by a step sequencer, but not if you want lush soundscapes and crazy fx.

Two different beasts. Maybe the virus doesn't have anything on the A4 in some respects, but the A4 is also no match for the virus in its own right.
I'm pretty sure with practice the A4 is well capable of lush soundscapes
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm pretty sure with practice the A4 is well capable of lush soundscapes
Are you saying the A4 is as good as a pad machine than the Virus?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
its a cool box - but I wouldnt be so happy on that island if I couldnt play chords...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape ➡️
Are you saying the A4 is as good as a pad machine than the Virus?
No, I'm saying its capable of lush soundscapes
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
best is dificult to respond.
its my favorite. i switched from the keyboard to desktop cause the space.
(selling the keyboard, pikcup in la)

any knob you move it will chnage the sound soo drastically. its dificult to get that with softsynths.

but i also use omnisphere which has a different type of sound.
different modulation and envelope options.
and slim phatty for simple in your face leads and bass.

the integration part is crucial for me as well. i can still return to projects i did 5 years ago and open it up with the TI settings.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Dam! that was too fast for a just released synth man!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The Radikal Technologies Accelerator easily can beat the Virus in sound features. Acc is very smart instrument. Actually you could complement Acc with Virus multiple synthesis engine, because it is Virus's advance. It would be great setup for electronic musician and composer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some people just don't meld with the TI sound. I can understand this as it took me a couple of months to gel with my TI when I first got it. In my experience, using it completely outboard in multi-timbral mode in a MIDI setup, this machine boasts a lot of power. Multi-timbral mode sporting full F/X, EQ, arpeggiators and complete separate sound banks for each part? Korg, Yammy and Rollie should take a hard lesson from Access here. For outboard gear users its processing power is unmatched for a stand alone VA module in its class.

When I finally started using my TI in Ableton with a single USB cable as a VST plug, it blew me away. The ability to use the TI as a programable, librarian plug that doesn't drain my CPU is nothing short of being awesome. Hooking up audio, MIDI cables and input setup, dealing with latency, etc... what a headache. If only all my outboard gear had total integration. It's not that big a deal, very often the it's the challenges in technology that make electronic composers better musicians anyhow. I for one love my TI.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➡️
Except the A4 doesn't have one of the best keyboards available new attached to it.
fixed
Old 24th January 2013
Synths are subjective in the end. If you find people are talking crap about the Virus who cares. You like it... good enough. Subjective.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➡️
Some people just don't meld with the TI sound. I can understand this as it took me a couple of months to gel with my TI when I first got it. In my experience, using it completely outboard in multi-timbral mode in a MIDI setup, this machine boasts a lot of power. Multi-timbral mode sporting full F/X, EQ, arpeggiators and complete separate sound banks for each part? Korg, Yammy and Rollie should take a hard lesson from Access here. For outboard gear users its processing power is unmatched for a stand alone VA module in its class.

When I finally started using my TI in Ableton with a single USB cable as a VST plug, it blew me away. The ability to use the TI as a programable, librarian plug that doesn't drain my CPU is nothing short of being awesome. Hooking up audio, MIDI cables and input setup, dealing with latency, etc... what a headache. If only all my outboard gear had total integration. It's not that big a deal, very often the it's the challenges in technology that make electronic composers better musicians anyhow. I for one love my TI.
yes. a lot of the on board patches come with heavy reverb and delay. which was used like crazy for trance. thus, it has that feel.
but taking those off and tweaking you can get very cool sound for whatever genre.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I spent 3 years with my polar and grew to loathe the sound. Miss the pads I could make on it but whatever
Gear Guru
I think the Prophet 08 is a much better synth than the Virus TI, hands down. There are some great patches out there for it. Analog, need I say more?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➡️
I think the Prophet 08 is a much better synth than the Virus TI, hands down. There are some great patches out there for it. Analog, need I say more?
how is the Prophet '08 a "better" synth???

Virus TI is an amazing digital hardware synth capable of many different synthesis types

Prophet '08 is a mediocre polyphonic DCO analog synth with basic features

I bought mine hoping it would replace Sylenth1 on most my tracks but it ended up just not sounding that much better to justify the 2 grand so I sold it, replaced it with DCAM: Synth Squad and never looked back
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
how is the Prophet '08 a "better" synth???

Virus TI is an amazing digital hardware synth capable of many different synthesis types

Prophet '08 is a mediocre polyphonic DCO analog synth with basic features

I bought mine hoping it would replace Sylenth1 on most my tracks but it ended up just not sounding that much better to justify the 2 grand so I sold it, replaced it with DCAM: Synth Squad and never looked back
Digital vs Analog
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones ➡️
Ha! I was playing a MicroKorg XL the other day thinking: "you know, I love the sound of my TI, but this little XL sounds damn good!"

that puts the thread in proportion.. when a microkorg sounds good a virus must be the greatest synth.

i see that the virus is a good allrounder but the best synth? in my worl its not even on the list. my nord modulars left no place for it
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➡️
Digital vs Analog
just because it's analog doesn't mean it's better
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Digitally Controlled Oscillator. It's an analog oscillator. I'm an electrical engineer, how about you respect those with superior knowledge. the phrase I used is "(or sonically similar)" and as the clock CONTROLLING the pitch of the oscillator and the pitch of the oscillator(or rather, it's harmonics) come closer together, you start "mirroring" frequencies.
The clock controlling a DCO and the pitch of the DCO will hardly come "close together" at all. Those clocks usually run at several MHz, while the pitch of the DCO will hardly go above 8 KHz. We're talking about at least three orders of magnitude here.

The problem with a DCO playing high notes is that the DCO frequency must always be a divisor of the clock frequency, and as the note becomes higher, the separation between notes becomes wider and wider, making it difficult to find divisors that match those precise frequencies. In other words, the difference between VCOs and DCOs is that a DCO is uncapable of oscillating at any arbitrary frequency: their frequency range is quantized.

Quote:
Well... I can rephrase for accuracy: Have you tried playing E8 on a Roland Alpha Juno... the clock signal interacts with the oscillator tone and mirrors so that as you play higher up the keyboard, you get sidebands that travel lower in pitch. it SOUNDS very similar to the aliasing that you'll hear in an unfiltered digital system (or a poorly implemented one!) when you sweep a signal above the Nyquist limit.
There is no Nyquist limit since the actual audio signal is being generated in the analog domain (with a theoretically infinite bandwidth). No sampling process takes place at any point. What you're hearing is probably the effect of inharmonic (e.g., out of tune) notes due to the frequency quantization that is inherent to DCOs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
just because it's analog doesn't mean it's better
in 98 % of the cases it does.. but maybe the new dsi stuff is in the 2%
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's funny how when a thread talks about Access Virus hardwares, all the analog synth users will come in give their takes on analog vs digital etc. This debates never end doesn't it..hahaha. But then when a thread on analog synths hardware comes about, not a single Access Virus users goes on rampage debate on analog vs digital, which is better or good etc.

Anyway, use whatever serve you in your production and be happy that you have it. Some of us does not have the luxury to buy gears like many of you do. We humbly use what we can afford and be happy with it and make great music with every tool we have.

Cheers
📝 Reply