Quantcast
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth - Page 17 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 25th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you mentioned something in another thread about wondering if a TI would elevate the overall sound quality of your synth tracks, Mark. I don't think it would be a major "this really does sound better than everything else" epiphany for you like the Kemper Profiling Amp was - it's one more color for the palette, one for which many people have a lot of affection, but software has made a lot of progress since the TI came out. You already have a lot of recent softsynth and effects plugins which are hardly slouches in the sound quality department vs. what's on tap in the TI. When folks say, for example, that the effects in the Virus are better than any plugins, I think they're letting their enthusiasm get away with them a tad (it does not have better reverb than what one can get from Lexicon or Exponential Audio and its vocoder didn't impress me at all compared to ELS Vocoder).

I'm not denying it's a cool synth and a modern classic and all that. Obviously it is. But if you have a fast PC, you have a well-chosen collection of recent software, you're mostly recording rather than performing, and you're not head over heels in love with the specific sound of the Virus - all of which seem to apply to you - you might want to mull over other options for your birthday windfall before taking the plunge.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I try to avoid the wild superlatives and hype - the question as to whether the Virus is "the best synthesizer" is nonsense really, and like everything else,. it's not for everyone. You can make perfectly good music just using softsynths, so go ahead and do it.

Personally, I always lusted after a Virus with a keyboard and as soon as I had the money for one I bought one. It has deeply altered the way I work on music, and, I think, had a positive influence on my music itself. Mostly, it's fun and inspiring. I think it is true to say that it is greater than the sum of its parts.

I have a character fault that will get me thrown off this forum one day - I actually prefer digital synths to analogues. While I think that analogue synths are useful tools, I find good digital synths to be inspiring and sometimes wildly exciting. They take you to places that analogue synths can't possibly aspire to.

I've been playing synths since 1981 and analogues are basically the same now as they were then. All of the most interesting evolution has been in the digital and software domain.

Since I prefer hardware synths to software - not because of the sound but because of the user experience - I concluded that the Virus is the perfect synth for me, and I think I was right. YMMV.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
I prefer using the interface on hardware itself. I didn't buy it for the software side of it. I like it right in front of me, and I work with the synth, not the computer. My whole purpose for hardware is to get away from the computer. Others feel different, I think most people buy it for the TI part of it. I bought it for the sound, and all of it's features.
This is the same for me. I think the software has lots of limitations, and you really cannot save your work properly in it. It is useful for visualizing the structure of a patch.

I think the hardware interface is one of the best I have seen for the depth of features in the unit. When I am programming sounds, I use the HW exclusively after only a week with the unit.

-dj
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW, I mostly program it using the hardware interface, for the simple reason that I can do it without having to load up the DAW etc. It's completely self-contained, which is the main advantage of a hardware synth, for me.

I do really like the software interface though, mainly because it allows you a much better view of how a patch is structured.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman ➑️
I think you mentioned something in another thread about wondering if a TI would elevate the overall sound quality of your synth tracks, Mark. I don't think it would be a major "this really does sound better than everything else" epiphany for you like the Kemper Profiling Amp was - it's one more color for the palette, one for which many people have a lot of affection, but software has made a lot of progress since the TI came out. You already have a lot of recent softsynth and effects plugins which are hardly slouches in the sound quality department vs. what's on tap in the TI. When folks say, for example, that the effects in the Virus are better than any plugins, I think they're letting their enthusiasm get away with them a tad (it does not have better reverb than what one can get from Lexicon or Exponential Audio and its vocoder didn't impress me at all compared to ELS Vocoder).

I'm not denying it's a cool synth and a modern classic and all that. Obviously it is. But if you have a fast PC, you have a well-chosen collection of recent software, you're mostly recording rather than performing, and you're not head over heels in love with the specific sound of the Virus - all of which seem to apply to you - you might want to mull over other options for your birthday windfall before taking the plunge.
vocoder is crap.... no bones about it... absolute crap. that's why i keep my microkorg! as for effects, i have always been referring to effects on a synth, hardware or software. Once you get into dedicated plugins or rack boxes, the Virus has no chance.
Old 26th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman ➑️

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to. I think if I was performing live and needed a good keyboard to take to gigs, the Virus could be it. But for my studio bound self, it doesn't make sense. Not even the Snow.

It makes me wonder about the future of Access. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's come to this conclusion.
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
vocoder is crap.... no bones about it... absolute crap. that's why i keep my microkorg! as for effects, i have always been referring to effects on a synth, hardware or software. Once you get into dedicated plugins or rack boxes, the Virus has no chance.
You do realize that you don't have to use the effects on the synth right? So those same external effects you're talking about, can be thrown on the Virus too.
Old 26th April 2013
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've had my Ti2 for 3 yrs now and despite how much outboard I work with, I find best results using it with the VC plugin & USB audio. Having a well built & configured computer makes all the difference though. If all else fails a dedicated USB is a good fix as mentioned.

For any of you guys having issues with the timing offset from trying to run it with USB + analog outs why don't you just offset the timing for that channel in your DAW? In Ableton this is as easy as setting the track delay for the respective midi channel. Then your audio stream gets recorded in perfect timing for every take. Having to adjust each take every time is definitely not what you want in your workflow.
Old 29th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
You do realize that you don't have to use the effects on the synth right? So those same external effects you're talking about, can be thrown on the Virus too.
Well, for TI Snow owners that means setting up external effects to access the USB outputs...not the end of the world for reverbs, but super precise delays and especially insert effects can pose some issues so the effects section being fantastic is a great thing. On top of that being able to use it as an effect/throughput(atomizer, etc) device is a sweet bonus.

But yes, you are correct and I use plugins on the raw output of my synths all the time, as well as having some nice outboard auxed into my mixer pre-A/D....
Old 1st September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I only own a Virus but I listened to ALOT of other VST/Analog synths and I think they all suck compared to the virus. I simply cant stand the sounds, where as virus I find almost all the presets amazing and even better when I tweak them
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimbBoY ➑️
I only own a Virus but I listened to ALOT of other VST/Analog synths and I think they all suck compared to the virus. I simply cant stand the sounds, where as virus I find almost all the presets amazing and even better when I tweak them
Old 1st September 2013 | Show parent
Deleted b598644
this is a very useful thread
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Im selling my virus, if u want to hear a small sample of it, check this out:

my threads on the for sale forum

Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any members of infekted? I'm trying to register but their site is messing up. I need someone to notify their admins.
Old 9th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimbBoY ➑️
Im selling my virus, if u want to hear a small sample of it, check this out:

my threads on the for sale forum

It's actually good, because it's funny!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle ➑️
It's actually good, because it's funny!
Imagine if it was intendend serious :P I would rather hear it sounds like crap than funny
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsound ➑️
Imagine if it was intendend serious :P I would rather hear it sounds like crap than funny
Well I could be wrong, it could be that I'm not so into Electronic Contemporary Free Jazz. Or what ever this is. People have their ways of enjoying unfamiliar music.
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I am glad to be a part of this thread..I read through a lot and wanted to share my opinion. i just recently purchased a Access Virus Ti2 Desktop Module. I wanted something with Digital effects, Eq, Multi-Timbral Parts and quality built...This has it all combined into one..i absolutely love this little Fellow...It's like a Analog Synth, an Electronic Science Box, A Experimental Sound Device, a Tweaking your Knobs device..it's everything you can imagine...I really like it so far and is very excited to own one..The best synth Module i have owned...
I did my 1st Video on youtube with the Virus Ti2..i hope you like..It's Amateur but i hope you like anyways...
Old 11th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton ➑️
I am glad to be a part of this thread..I read through a lot and wanted to share my opinion. i just recently purchased a Access Virus Ti2 Desktop Module. I wanted something with Digital effects, Eq, Multi-Timbral Parts and quality built...This has it all combined into one..i absolutely love this little Fellow...It's like a Analog Synth, an Electronic Science Box, A Experimental Sound Device, a Tweaking your Knobs device..it's everything you can imagine...I really like it so far and is very excited to own one..The best synth Module i have owned...
I did my 1st Video on youtube with the Virus Ti2..i hope you like..It's Amateur but i hope you like anyways...
WA! Thanks for sharing, dude.

I played the Ti2 keyboard at a local shop, and no surprise, I almost exploded with GAS. I suspect if I find one for a good price I'll grab it.

I have been contemplating it for about 2 years now and it doesn't look like they will be releasing another hardware controller anytime soon, so Im caring less and less about buyers remorse. Well, that and the Ti bit. I had the Indigo 2 and it made me appreciate the integration of the new models.
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i almost bought one of those Indigo 2 myself..actually it was on Craigslist really cheap...I like the power it has to offer in a Multi Environment..Doesn't seem to run out of Polyphony, even the Slightest...i suppose the Indigo 2 was probably the same...Thanks for the Comment on the Vid...
One Gripe i have on the Ti2 is that i can't just get a LFO Modulation effect on the Fly..i have to dig into the Menu...you know,,that Pitch bend sped up and down effect..i don't really know what it's called..lol...but i can't believe there's only 1 knob on the Left of unit and all those LFO 1 & LFO 2 Parameters...i didn't expect to dive into menu just to get a simple Customized sound...lol
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I don't understand why they are so expensive? It is digital, you can buy a laptop with Komplete Ultimate for less, probably throw in Omnisphere and a hardware controller with knobs and still have money left over. Are Access profiteering or is there something that this offers that you can't do on a computer?

Last edited by ranzee; 11th March 2015 at 11:38 AM..
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Guru

Ive got Komplete Ultimate and a Virus TI...I rarely use Komplete Ultimate.
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Even tho the Software industry has come a long ways, i won't argue that you can get some awesome sounds from various softwares...i won't compare cause it boils down to this...Some people love to work on the computer with a simple controller and a bunch of VST's and go to town,,,,others love the hardware....i'm one of them...i just love the tweaking of the knobs and real time controls...i had komplete as well...i loved it..but i also love the Virus..it just depends on what you want..but i will agree with ya...you can save a ton of money with software setup...Took a while to get this Ti2...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee ➑️
I don't understand why they are so expensive? It is digital, you can buy a laptop with Komplete Ultimate for less, probably throw in Omnisphere and a hardware controller with knows, and still have money left over. Are Access profiteering or is there something that this offers that you can't do on a computer?
I have Komplete and use it quite a bit.

Despite the menu diving, the layout of the Ti2 is superb. The sounds that it is packed with are inspirational to say the least, this is subjective however.

I don't mind clicking away and sculpting dynamic textures via the virus mod matrix. The virus offers way more in one unit than any one unit is capable of in Komplete and its all ready to edit and mangle in different ways with out opening a zillian instances of different VSTs in different tracks. The variety of saturation flavors and different poles the virus filters have are nice options as well.

I do agree though, I personally do not value this synth at the current market price. Only excuse they have is the excellent os updates etc. That is why I''ll wait to get a great deal on the second hand market.

Over the years I'v worked with so many VSTs and softwares and I still lust for what the virus has to offer. For me, this keyboard has an inspirational vibe to it every time I play it at the store. Sometimes you just need that extra % in capability, inspiration and interface.

Last edited by UrbanSynthesis; 11th March 2015 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: K and not c
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
It's funny, I avoided the TI for a long time after having felt that my Virus C was easily replaced in software. I still kind of think it was. Then, I discovered that while I wasn't looking, someone snuck in a fantastic wavetable synth inside the Virus!

Now... can you do a lot of what the Virus does in plug ins? Sure. No doubt. But if you're doing heavy unison stuff or a lot of tracks, that can kill your CPU quickly. Also, I've yet to hear a plug in with the same quality of effects that come built into the Virus TI. If you start using effect plug in on top of your synth plug ins... well you get the idea. You're freezing tracks in any moderately complicated mix.

Also, when you start getting into the grantable and formant table stuff, that's, IMO, when the Virus becomes interesting... yet few seem to either know about this or care about it. Most Virus stuff seems to be detuned saws or hypersaws. If you're buying a Virus for just that... well I'd say keep your money and get Spire or something. If you want to dig into the wavetable stuff, you'll find something that IMO, takes a big steamy poop right on Waldorf's Blofeld in terms of wavetable capabilities. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Blofeld, but when you look into the Virus' wavetable capabilies and consider it's world class built in effects...

Also, I've got the Snow. So it's 100% Virus Control for me, and I love it. It's really one of the best and most intuitive UIs I've ever dealt with. Makes a complicated instrument seem simple. My only wish is that if you have the screen real estate you could have at least two tabs visible at the same time when you're setting up modulation routing.

I also wish they'd include a few more filter models based on classic analogs. While the Moog simulation is OK, it doesn't sound particularly Moogy to me and if there is one critisism, it's that the filters, while flexible, are a bit void of character.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
Also, when you start getting into the grantable and formant table stuff, that's, IMO, when the Virus becomes interesting... yet few seem to either know about this or care about it. Most Virus stuff seems to be detuned saws or hypersaws. If you're buying a Virus for just that... well I'd say keep your money and get Spire or something. If you want to dig into the wavetable stuff, you'll find something that IMO, takes a big steamy poop right on Waldorf's Blofeld in terms of wavetable capabilities. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Blofeld, but when you look into the Virus' wavetable capabilies and consider it's world class built in effects...
That whole side of the virus is what really gets me going for sure!

Quote:
I also wish they'd include a few more filter models based on classic analogs. While the Moog simulation is OK, it doesn't sound particularly Moogy to me and if there is one critisism, it's that the filters, while flexible, are a bit void of character.
It would be totally awesome if in a future update they give more classic analog filter type emulations. That would be brilliant!
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
These are the videos that really woke me up to what the Virus could do. I still think people don't know about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02F8pczISk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVMlYgeUtDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6SktDQfDsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-loTynMOZc

When you compare it to the Waldorf Microwave XT it blows it away in terms of functions and, to me, the XT just sounds kind of crude. Fine if you're looking for a vintage digital vibe, but... that's not for me. Nothing really matches it in software either. Codex and Massive do a little of the formant stuff, but no one does graintable or wavetable pulse width modulation, at least I don't know of any.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't understand why they are so expensive?
Yeah, they're not cheap. But you get 16 parts and up to 90 voices.

Paying 2000 euro for a monosynth like the DSI Pro-2, or even 2600 euro for a Moog Voyager RME. That's what I call expensive.

And no, the Virus is NOT just a softsynth in a box.
Old 12th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio ➑️
Yeah, they're not cheap. But you get 16 parts and up to 90 voices.

Paying 2000 euro for a monosynth like the DSI Pro-2, or even 2600 euro for a Moog Voyager RME. That's what I call expensive.

And no, the Virus is NOT just a softsynth in a box.
I agree with you about DSI Pro-2 and Moog Voyagers being expensive too. I keep hearing "quality build, quality parts" I own Moog gear - and it isn't that much better quality build.

However, I'm more than happy to spend money where it is justified. The arguments earlier about extra processing power, formant wavetable synthesis etc - are all "do-able" on the Mac/PC. Today, the CPU (unless you go cheap) is really powerful. An Intel Core i7 3Ghz or better will eat the processing power of an Access Virus for breakfast.

For me the price is worse because I live in Australia, where we pay stupid import duty taxes, extra freight costs (because we live on the other side of the world), our dollar is crap, and distributors are greedy and add extra costs ontop of the already exuberant prices. So please understand, when I say an Access Virus is expensive - this is why:

and you might say - well don't get the keyboard version:

I don't know about you guys, but that is some serious cash!
Attached Thumbnails
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth-access-virus-ti-2-keyboard-price.png  
Attached Images
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth-access-virus-ti2-desktop-price.png 
Old 12th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I agree with you about DSI Pro-2 and Moog Voyagers being expensive too. I keep hearing "quality build, quality parts" I own Moog gear - and it isn't that much better quality build.

However, I'm more than happy to spend money where it is justified. The arguments earlier about extra processing power, formant wavetable synthesis etc - are all "do-able" on the Mac/PC. Today, the CPU (unless you go cheap) is really powerful. An Intel Core i7 3Ghz or better will eat the processing power of an Access Virus for breakfast...
Yeah, I hear you. Even in the US the Virus is pretty expensive, and while the Virus does have a bunch of cool tricks up it's sleeves, one can find many cool plug ins that do great stuff. While we're talking about wavetables, just look at Serum's ability to bring in audio samples and turn them into wavetables, or Codex's ability to define start, stop and loop points of a wavetable.

But you're totally wrong about the processing power of an i7 eating the Virus TI for breakfast. I'd like to see you get 16 Virus quality parts going, effects and all on that. Of course, you may not care. I don't. That's why I got a Snow. I have never used it for more than one part at a time, but today I was just thinking that I wish I had a deep droney wash going on under this pulsey graintable thing I had made that already used up my oscs. I had to run, but I could have easily pulled up a pad on a second part at no CPU cost.

So, that's why I got the Snow. I don't care about having 90 voices, thought I'd dig having a hardware wavetable synth and I didn't fancy the Blofeld due to it's bugginess (and I already have Largo), I don't care for the sound of the XT and... well what else is there? So, for $800 I have a pretty cool little device that also adds 2 audio imputs to my world. I forgot to mention that I run an Axis 9 CD player though it so I can play with audio samples like vinyl. The atomizer is pretty fun!

But, as you may have seen me say earlier in this thread, if push came to shove I wouldn't own the Virus... or any digital synth for that matter. If you don't have the money for one, I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, if you don't care about the wavetable thing, I wouldn't even consider a Virus. I think the Korg KingKORG is an overall better sounding synth and it's got all the fun supersaw stuff, a bunch of analog style oscs with special tricks no analog has ever had, the waveforms of the old Korg workstations and some decent PCM samples all able to be processed though what I consider the best sounding digital filters I've ever heard. They can be had used for about $800 here in the US. Not sure what your prices are like.
πŸ“ Reply