VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth - Page 16 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 20th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
Nope, but I use it because it sounds like that as it creates a nice contrast with synths with different character.
99% of the patches I make these days involve the spectral waveforms and FM which is the brilliant side of the Virus, imo.
The "conventional"/V.A. side of the Virus is not appealing to me as I have analog synths that sound 10 times better, imo.
So you like the FM capabilities of the Virus?

Posts like this make me wonder whether I should get one after all.
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's why I say the Virus is great for pads/textures/atmospheric sounds. I include the All parts of the synth though, not only FM. Pads sound amazing on this machine. Hypersaw sounds really good tweaked right, it's not only for Trance sounds. I use it a lot in Downtempo Ambient tracks. I have one analog poly synth, and I think the TI2 has a lot more range in sound, a good sound at that.
Old 20th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
That's why I say the Virus is great for pads/textures/atmospheric sounds. I include the All parts of the synth though, not only FM. Pads sound amazing on this machine. Hypersaw sounds really good tweaked right, it's not only for Trance sounds. I use it a lot in Downtempo Ambient tracks. I have one analog poly synth, and I think the TI2 has a lot more range in sound, a good sound at that.
About the hypersaw, it's a bit harder to tweak it right as the virus has a linear detune algo on the hypersaw. It is very difficult to make saw that sounds like it's widely detuned but also doesn't become a mess without tuning with algo like that. It's possible though by playing with the unison and both of the hypersaw oscs. I wonder why they implemented that linear algo instread of logarihmic one like in the JP8K though, as the "Hypersaw" name sounds like it's knocked off from JP8K.

But yeah, it's nice for pads indeed.
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I just picked up the Ti2 Keyboard about a month ago. I am happy with it so far. Not only because of it's capabilities, but I use it as the centerpiece of my studio, and it works out very well. 61 keys is just right, unless you have a lot of room to work with(which I don't, atm). The key bed is fantastic. The patches are endless for getting that missing element into the mix in a timely manner. The effects are second to none. The list goes on. It works for some people, it doesn't for others. You'll have that with any synthesizer. I sold my Voyager to fund my Ti2, and I haven't looked back. Sure, the Moog was a beast at synth and lead sounds, but the Virus is so much more versatile. By the way, did I mention how sexy it is? Lol
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden ➑️
I have been listening some soundset demos and well here is just one that came up on youtube first page:

Am I really the only one who hears the compressed plastic sounding attack of the virus? The filter sounds to me like it tries too much as well and as result something just sounds funny on the higher frequencies when the filter envelope is active - sounds messy. (Of course, I am quite picky on how the filter envelope sounds). I must admit though that I kind of like the "Click" sound of virus at around 80hz, that too is much louder than on most synths I have used.

Jimmyklane, I remember you mentioned that on moogs the filter is delayed few ms before it reacts to the envelopes, did you somehow manage to recreate similar thing on the virus? I have tried to use the LFOs as envelope source for the filter as well, but still it just doesn't sound good or natural for those basic synth plucks IMHO.
I do agree with you, there are a bunch of bad sound sets out there. The Virus had a big reputation for being a Trance synth, so people are milking it for a quick buck. Claiming it to be oriented towards Trance and Club sounds make these amateurs snatch it up. I think more than half of those sound sets suck anyway! I also run across a bunch of demos that give the Virus a flat out bad name.

If you wanna listen to some good justice for the Virus, go to their sound page. I like Presets on Parade, Dark Side, and Bright Side Collection.

http://virus.info/page/render/lang/e...dio_Demos.html
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
My issue is that the Virus and Blofeld are my only 2++ osc polysynths... What I need to do is go buy a Prophet 08, but I haven't, so the Virus is my go-to for brassy pads (ring/FM REALLY excels here) as well as using the 64 "spectral waves" for glassy DX7-type pads/stabs/keys/arps. At some point, I will probably own enough analog to dispense with VA, but then I'll have to buy a PPG and Microwave, along with and SY77/99. So 3-6 synths split between analog and digital to get the "true" timbres that I "fake" (pretty damn well) with my virus. I never had any trouble with my Virus..but I installed a USB card just for it, so I expected no issues either! It DID always add another 7-10ms of latency upon instantiating the VC plugin, but issue is well covered at the infekted/access forums! I only sold the snow because of my 8-Voice-Moog obsession was getting in the way of my MS-20 lust, and as it turned out, I don't much care for the random-phase re-triggering(instead of free running like analog or virus) of the blofeld...DEAD GIVEAWAY FOR VA....so I had to go out and pick up a virus B in place of a 4th slim phatty

As for "delayed" filter envelope.... I can't remember saying that, but what was the context, or better yet, link the post? I'd be happy to elaborate!
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
I'm still waiting for mine (not one of the first ones on the list). All i can say is that some of the forum members on the Solaris forum have reported that they were given tracking numbers, and that the first solaris units of the current batch are on their way to their new happy owners. Production started a couple of weeks ago.
Yep:

Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Congrats!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have been listening some soundset demos and well here is just one that came up on youtube first page:

Am I really the only one who hears the compressed plastic sounding attack ...
NEWSFLASH - Someone on the internet made a bunch of terrible sounds on the Virus. Shock ! Horror!

Seriously, I listened to those sounds yesterday and made a bet with myself that these are what you were talking about (the link wasn't wporking for me then for some reason).

I'd hardly condemn a synth because of a dodgy sound set though.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
So you like the FM capabilities of the Virus?

Posts like this make me wonder whether I should get one after all.
Yes, it is the reason I bought a Virus C after I sold the TI. Lots of it is harsh sounding, but I dig that kind of sound. Complements the FM sounds on my Nord Lead 1, very well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
NEWSFLASH - Someone on the internet made a bunch of terrible sounds on the Virus. Shock ! Horror!

Seriously, I listened to those sounds yesterday and made a bet with myself that these are what you were talking about (the link wasn't wporking for me then for some reason).

I'd hardly condemn a synth because of a dodgy sound set though.

D.
Hahaha, nice coincidence . Actually I brought the soundset up because that's my experience of how the general sound quality of virus is. But I really don't mean to say that you can't get good sounds of the virus. Just that I don't particularly like the over compressed attack and overhyped envelopes of the virus when it comes to some bread and butter sounds, if anyone knows of a cure for those I am all ears. The distortion curves are not my cup of tea either, BUT that's true of almost any digital synth and even most of the (especially cheaper) digital distortion units in general.

Jimmyklane, I think you referred to the "Programming analog sounds"- guide in the virus site which might have said that the Moog filter envelope is delayed few ms before the decay starts. Might remember wrong though. By the way, did you use the Moog filter in the examples you posted here earlier?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
if anyone knows of a cure for those I am all ears.
No idea. I can't tell you how to make sounds that you would like with a Virus. I'm not even sure what you mean by "bread and butter sounds".

I do know that if you expect it to sound exactly like an analogue synth you're going to be disappointed, but then to judge one of the greatest digital synths ever by it's ability to sound analogue has always seemed a bit daft to me.

The "click" that you mentioned earlier is adjustable using a parameter called "punch".
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hahaha, nice coincidence . Actually I brought the soundset up because that's my experience of how the general sound quality of virus is. But I really don't mean to say that you can't get good sounds of the virus. Just that I don't particularly like the over compressed attack and overhyped envelopes of the virus when it comes to some bread and butter sounds, if anyone knows of a cure for those I am all ears. The distortion curves are not my cup of tea either, BUT that's true of almost any digital synth and even most of the (especially cheaper) digital distortion units in general.

Jimmyklane, I think you referred to the "Programming analog sounds"- guide in the virus site which might have said that the Moog filter envelope is delayed few ms before the decay starts. Might remember wrong though. By the way, did you use the Moog filter in the examples you posted here earlier?
Check the Virus sound page, "Presets on Parade" are bread and butter sounds.
Old 23rd April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
One possibility is to use USB audio; that will not have that problem but will need to be set up properly or you will have a whole new set of problems to deal with.

If you want to use the analogue outs, you can start by following the instructions here:

Virus TI - can I use Virus Control together with analog outputs of the virus? Virus control only for midi and sysex - audio coming from analog outputs of the virus? Is it Possible??? - Questions and answers about Virus synthesizers - Access Music Use

If you are using direct monitoring mode, there is advice in the Virus Setup Guide concerning that.

For further help you might do better to ask on the Virus forum. I think we have established what your problem is; for detailed solutions you would be better off asking them.
Cheers for that

Using the audio over USB is the main reason why I tried the main outs, with USB audio it is just a well big mess..delay even more crazy and all that.

The only problem left at the mo is that the audio once recorded is too early and I can't find any thing on the VC channel in Cubase too sort that out.

Does anyone know if you could dissable a delay compensation on a single channel in Cubase 7? I run 6.5 but that would convince my to upgrade LOL

The people at Access were not as helpful by far as you have been by the way! Thanks again for that

I'm keeping the Virus!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz ➑️
Yep:

Congratulations!

Is it the best nowdays synth?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley ➑️
Cheers for that

Using the audio over USB is the main reason why I tried the main outs, with USB audio it is just a well big mess..delay even more crazy and all that.

Thanks again for that

I'm keeping the Virus!
You're welcome. Maybe Access should pay me commission

If I were you I'd give the USB another try. When it is set up properly it is very stable.

Set it up exactly as described in the setup guide for Logic and Cubase.

The most important things are:

- Make sure you have an up-to-date OS version and drivers.
- Make sure it is on its own on the USB bus.
- Make sure your audio buffer is set properly. If it is too big your timing WILL be screwed.
- Don't overload the Virus by trying to use several very CPU intensive sounds all at once. There is a guide for this in the documentation, to which I would add keep your reverb tails short.

This works fine for me in Logic. Rumours say that it actually works better in Cubase than in Logic, so your all set.

D.
Old 23rd April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You're welcome. Maybe Access should pay me commission

If I were you I'd give the USB another try. When it is set up properly it is very stable.

Set it up exactly as described in the setup guide for Logic and Cubase.

The most important things are:

- Make sure you have an up-to-date OS version and drivers.
- Make sure it is on its own on the USB bus.
- Make sure your audio buffer is set properly. If it is too big your timing WILL be screwed.
- Don't overload the Virus by trying to use several very CPU intensive sounds all at once. There is a guide for this in the documentation, to which I would add keep your reverb tails short.

This works fine for me in Logic. Rumours say that it actually works better in Cubase than in Logic, so your all set.

D.
Usb audio is a dead end technology from all perspective.
According to my investigation the most stable configuration on mac is Virus TI control via usb and midi track + Real audio into audio track. Buffer is 256, cycle mode 1/96 smooth (like in instruction).
When composing - LIVE button disabled, loop mode is ok here.
When recording LIVE button enabled, but no cycling recording please. Mminimum 1 bar pre-roll to give Virus a sync, loop start has to by earlier than midi region otherwise your early incoming audio will be cut. Loop end place according to you sound tail.
Before to hit Record make sure your midi track is active (selected), not Audio.
Hit record and do it.
Go to huge zoom, make sure audio start in sync with first midi note, if not do the following:
select recorded Audio region, right-click, Split by silence, make adjustment to cut silence before audio starts, cut, and move by hands to right start.
Unfort. You can record Virus only Region by region. Forget about 16 regions at time or whole project.

Thats how guys from Virus left our workflow.
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

I dumped my virus TI II in part because the USB didn't work as "advertised" nor did it do 16 part multi-timbral. I felt at the time that I had paid for those functions and the fact that they didn't work made the synth seemed a bit overpriced.

But I have owned two Virus' and I still think they sound nice. Just wanted something else. Doesn't really seem to matter much which synth I use unless it really is a crappy sounding synth. But any of the top of the line synths can sound great. And if I still had endless money like I once did, I would be buying one of everything - like I once did.

So the issue is never whether its a good synth of bad or analogue or digital, its really always about money. There would be no "best" debates if everyone could afford every thing. Then people would think every instrument is just different.
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➑️
I dumped my virus TI II in part because the USB didn't work as "advertised" nor did it do 16 part multi-timbral.
When I first got my Virus, the first recording I attempted was this:

Everything except the drums is the Virus. It has about 8 parts, IIRC. It was all rendered at once via USB audio, using three USB audio channels. All the effects are Virus effects except EQ and compression, which was applied to the three buses in Logic.

This track was intended as an exercise to get the Virus set up, rather than as a great piece of music. It wasn't easy, and I don't think I'd do it again, for various reasons, but it did work in the end.

I do agree that you're not going to get 16 simultaneous timbres out of it, but then, I probably wouldn't want 16 Virus sounds all playing at once in a single piece of music anyway.

D.
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When I first got my Virus, the first recording I attempted was this:

Everything except the drums is the Virus. It has about 8 parts, IIRC. It was all rendered at once via USB audio, using three USB audio channels. All the effects are Virus effects except EQ and compression, which was applied to the three buses in Logic.

This track was intended as an exercise to get the Virus set up, rather than as a great piece of music. It wasn't easy, and I don't think I'd do it again, for various reasons, but it did work in the end.

I do agree that you're not going to get 16 simultaneous timbres out of it, but then, I probably wouldn't want 16 Virus sounds all playing at once in a single piece of music anyway.

D.
Imagine your composition is 10 minutes long, 30-40 tracks, CPU load bar near limit, 16 Virus tracks placed randomly over song even by 2-3 regions simultaneously. Now, do you think your entire project will go smooth from start to end without pops, cracks and fart from Virus Usb audio?
I really don't understand guys saying TI and usb integration is **** by its so cool sound. Whats the worth of cool sound if you can not incorporate the piece of gear properly into your workflow (project)?
Just to play a little in a bed before a sleep?)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasfera ➑️
Imagine your composition is 10 minutes long, 30-40 tracks, CPU load bar near limit, 16 Virus tracks placed randomly over song even by 2-3 regions simultaneously. Now, do you think your entire project will go smooth from start to end without pops, cracks and fart from Virus Usb audio?
I really don't understand guys saying TI and usb integration is **** by its so cool sound. Whats the worth of cool sound if you can not incorporate the piece of gear properly into your workflow (project)?
It depends on too many factors to say.

What's stopping you from recording each track to audio, like you would have to with every other hardware synth?

That's how I've been working with it recently.

D.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

In the square bass examples: Snow vs. Slim Phatty, I'm 99% sure I used the Moog filter model in the virus, and of course a real Moog filter in the SP! In Howard Scarr's book I attached, what he is talking about is the attack to decay transition that's delayed.... So the attack portion of the envelope stays at maximum value for a few ms as opposed to most envelopes which start the decay phase the moment they reach 100% during the attack phase. Make sense? The "punch" parameter achieves this the same way you would with a modular, by clipping the attack portion at 90-95% and then raising the gain so the clipped portion is absolute maximum value (voltage, number, status bit, whatever!)
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasfera ➑️
I bought a $6 USB pci card... Virus TI works with zero flaws.... Absolutely zero issues, no trouble to set up, etc.... I didn't care for the Snow because I often wanted more than 4 parts, and thus would have to either print to tape or place program/bank change messages appropriately...which I don't care to do except if needed for a live show.

TI IS a bit flawed from the "ease of setup" perspective.... It is not an apple product, that's for sure. However, I've helped four others get a flawless setup like mine and once its done...it's done! Laptop users, beware... Mac mini or iMac users, beware....otherwise you CAN have a flawless setup.
Gear Maniac

Virus TI2

I got one last week and have been able to incorporate it into my Pro Tools setup without too many issues. I can use the virus as a controller for my midi gear, the internal VIs in PT, and for its own sounds using Virus Control. I still have some of the timing issues to work out, and channel pressure does not seem to work at all in the software (other sources work fine), but I think the Virus is capable of just about any type of sound if you are willing to spend the time to program it.

It does not have the same sound as a unit with analog circuits, but it can sound great. I think the presets are designed mostly on the unit's history and success. Years ago I spent hours programming a DX 7 and this unit is much easier than that. Actually, once you are familiar with the signal and modulation paths (the sofware is good for this) programming the unit from the from the front panel is actually pretty elegant compared to most other hardware synths.

-dj
Old 25th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well I'm suprised to see how many people here have it all working great LOL

So far I've managed with the help of some nice people on here to get it to 'acceptable' standards as in I use once track per time, then have to bounce and manually get it in time...Not the best way to work, especially as I normally like to have a few Virus sounds in a track and most of the time they are automated (filters, envelopes etc).
I would love to have it perfectly working but after trying virtually trying everything and even Access themselves kind of acknowledgement that this is how it is, I don't have much choice LOL

Not tried the Beta OS yet, might give that a go but not expecting much more.
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's a full release, it's not in the beta stage anymore.
Old 25th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I thought maybe I'd use an unexpected birthday gift to buy myself something fun, and I revisited the Virus Snow (used to own a C)

I'm sorry to say that I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I think they sound fantastic. I just can't for the life of me hear anything that any number of software synths won't give you without the hassle of "TI" that people seem to have. I'm also the kind of guy who produces with what I call the "Beatles" model. (Lead track, rhythm track, bass track, drum track, "vocal" tracks and "George Martin" track." so I don't use a lot of instruments in songs. If I use more than 8 it's too much going on (but that's me). I have to say I've spent a considerable amount of time trying very hard to find the "magic" of the Virus TI and... I can't. I'd rather be ITB to be honest but I'll go hardware if I can hear a reason to. I just don't hear a reason to with the latest offerings from Access. Not at the prices they're asking, that's for sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A question for Virus TI users.

For me the attraction of a Virus TI seems to be the fact that you can get hands on with the hardware and quickly start editing sounds but I wonder if that in reality after the honeymoon period do you find you're just using the software editor and not touching the hardware?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
I thought maybe I'd use an unexpected birthday gift to buy myself something fun, and I revisited the Virus Snow (used to own a C)

I'm sorry to say that I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I think they sound fantastic. I just can't for the life of me hear anything that any number of software synths won't give you without the hassle of "TI" that people seem to have. I'm also the kind of guy who produces with what I call the "Beatles" model. (Lead track, rhythm track, bass track, drum track, "vocal" tracks and "George Martin" track." so I don't use a lot of instruments in songs. If I use more than 8 it's too much going on (but that's me). I have to say I've spent a considerable amount of time trying very hard to find the "magic" of the Virus TI and... I can't. I'd rather be ITB to be honest but I'll go hardware if I can hear a reason to. I just don't hear a reason to with the latest offerings from Access. Not at the prices they're asking, that's for sure.
nothing wrong with that.... if you don't care for the Virus... or if you do, just not $3,000 much (!!!) then you'll find that you can do much of what it can do with careful planning and good VST synth selection!

In some sense, you are correct that much of the functionality of the virus can be reproduced ITB... once you start running parts into other parts (via internal bussing) you start to get into things that are tough to do ITB (unless you're willing to use up i/o with the associated a/d-d/a stages). The Virus is really one of those boxes where the "magic" is only shown in the sum of it's parts. the oscillators are good but not stunning all alone, the filters are excellent but not "the best that ever was", the envelopes are very snappy, but so are many other synths. The FX section is the best I've ever seen/heard in hardware, flat out.... but effects are icing, not flour (for the most part) The thing with the Virus is that you can go ANYWHERE with it, and (at least for ME) anything that it won't do for me, is MY deficiency as a synthesist/sound designer.

Also, for those of you that have TIs, I'm happy to do my best to help you out by giving advice and helping to optimize your rig. I'll even show you the USB card I bought for the Virus, as that solved almost every issue I'd ever experienced with it.
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I prefer using the interface on hardware itself. I didn't buy it for the software side of it. I like it right in front of me, and I work with the synth, not the computer. My whole purpose for hardware is to get away from the computer. Others feel different, I think most people buy it for the TI part of it. I bought it for the sound, and all of it's features.
πŸ“ Reply