VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth - Page 15 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
Sold the Polar TI for the same reasons, bought a Virus C (and some analog synths) and never looked back.

Have to say that with the money you need to get a Virus TI2, you can get a Virus C and some Moogefoogers (MF-101, MF-103 and MF-108 would be my picks considering the price) which with some overdrive, transform the Virus into a brand new synth that sounds 10 times better than the dry Virus sound.

The output of my Virus C is almost hardwired into my MF-103 these days.
Why not get a TI2 with all your Moog gear?? Even more possibilities!!!
Old 20th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
I think the answer you will be getting is LATENCY.....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
Because I own a Virus C and there is no way paying so much cash for the formant and grain oscillators of the TI is worth it. The Hypersaw is utter cack to my ears, anything related to euro trance, makes me cringe.
If I had the cash for a TI2 right now, it would be the last synth I would spend it on, having a Polar TI in the past.
The Virus C cost me 450€, it was a no brainer to me.

2k+ for the new grain/formant/wavetables? I'll pass.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
I found that with a bit of work it is possible to get it working quite well. I'm not sure it is 100% solid but it is far from inherently unreliable.

What computer are you using, and what DAW?

FWIW, exploring my TI2 I am beginning to realise that some of the most interesting sound-creation possibilities are in the TI-only features, and I would miss them if I went back to a B, which I had once before.

D.
Hi Daniel

I'm using a Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 8GB Ram with a RME Fireface UCX and Motu 128 Express on it. At the moment using Cubase 6.5 and Logic 9.

Issues with latency with or without using the USB, even when using midi cables, usb disconnected and using main outputs,,,Seems like the Virus just does not like Midi LOL

All tips welcome, have tried almost everything I can think of (lowering the buffer in Cubase or Logic, new cables, direct from midi kb instead of midi interface etc)

Even Access support is not able to give me any useful tips, instead they blame it on the latency of the RME which is rubbish as my other hardware synths have no issue at all!
So if I can't get this to work better I will be selling once again and that will be the end with Virus in my studio.

How did you get around it?
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I also had sync problems, especially with the Virus arpeggiator, hanging notes...etc. I had to bounce to audio any arp patches in order to move on. But it was not that that made me sell the Polar TI.

I am not saying the Virus is a bad synth, its a good synth, I just think the TI series is not worth its cash. Not even close.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley ➑️
Hi Daniel

I'm using a Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 8GB Ram with a RME Fireface UCX and Motu 128 Express on it. At the moment using Cubase 6.5 and Logic 9.

Issues with latency with or without using the USB, even when using midi cables, usb disconnected and using main outputs,,,Seems like the Virus just does not like Midi LOL

All tips welcome, have tried almost everything I can think of (lowering the buffer in Cubase or Logic, new cables, direct from midi kb instead of midi interface etc)

Even Access support is not able to give me any useful tips, instead they blame it on the latency of the RME which is rubbish as my other hardware synths have no issue at all!
So if I can't get this to work better I will be selling once again and that will be the end with Virus in my studio.

How did you get around it?
I've never used my Virus (which has a keyboard) with ordinary Midi cables. I've used USB Midi and the TI, which is not the same thing. I assume from what you wrote that your Virus is the desktop model.

Let's start from the basics. What happens when you connect a Midi keyboard directly to the Virus, with ordinary Midi cables, without the Midi interface and DAW in between?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman ➑️
Btw, it's been what, almost 40 years now since The Doctor blew up your spaceship and you're still stuck on Earth? Bummer.
The synths here are much better than on the Zygon homeworld, so I decided to stay here...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've never used my Virus (which has a keyboard) with ordinary Midi cables. I've used USB Midi and the TI, which is not the same thing. I assume from what you wrote that your Virus is the desktop model.

Let's start from the basics. What happens when you connect a Midi keyboard directly to the Virus, with ordinary Midi cables, without the Midi interface and DAW in between?
Everything seems to play fine, just a tiny bit of latency though but at that point managable.

Even connected to the midi interface and going into the DAW on it's own it plays find just with a little bit of latency. However when I try to record the virus timing issues appear and the latency gets really out of hand.

The same happens when I try to use it in a project where other tracks are playing back while playing the Virus (not even recording)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Everything seems to play fine, just a tiny bit of latency though but at that point managable.

Even connected to the midi interface and going into the DAW on it's own it plays find just with a little bit of latency. However when I try to record the virus timing issues appear and the latency gets really out of hand.

The same happens when I try to use it in a project where other tracks are playing back while playing the Virus (not even recording)
The virus itself, or the monitoring?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
The virus itself, or the monitoring?
Everything is done through monitoring via the RME.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Hi,

You've more or less answered my next question too.

Having established that you can play Midi with no latency (or very little), I was going to suggest connecting up your Midi interface, the Virus and a keyboard using a little Mac program called Midi Patchbay, and seeing whether it still plays OK.

When you get latency in the DAW, are you recording just a single Virus timbre, or more than one?
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It happens when I just even play the Virus while the sequencer is running (Single timbre) and the same when recording.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
- If you record a Midi track, quantise it and then play it back, is the Virus in time with the other instruments?

- Can you clarify "Everything is done through monitoring via the RME"? Are you monitoring the Virus directly or through an audio channel in the DAW? That would make a big difference to timing...

D.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
- If you record a Midi track, quantise it and then play it back, is the Virus in time with the other instruments?

- Are you monitoring the Virus directly or through an audio channel in the DAW? That would make a big difference to timing...

D.
When I play the track back it is in time.....Everything is done monitoring throught the DAW Audio channel. So no changes there, only the behaviour of the Virus changes. However when Recording the Virus play back it is out of time again while when playing it back it is in time...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are we talking about Logic or Cubase, or both? I've never used Cubase.

By "out of time" do you mean "delayed but consistent" or "wacky and inconsistent".
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are we talking about Logic or Cubase, or both? I've never used Cubase.

By "out of time" do you mean "delayed but consistent" or "wacky and inconsistent".

The issue happens in both. With out of time I mean consistent, until I record the Virus. The recording is then consistently too early! How strange is that after all the time being too late???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think we're getting somewhere...

Are the Midi notes recorded too early (look in the piano roll), or are you hearing them too early as you play them, or both.
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The midi notes are in time but the recorded audio is too early. However when playing it back without recording it is in time
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you recording audio and Midi simultaneously? Or recording Midi and then recording audio, which comes out too early?

If you slide the recorded audio track forwards, is everything then on time?

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And just to make sure,. you are talking about when you are using regular Midi, right? The Virus Control plugin is not in use at all?

D.
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seems like monitoring latency.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Unless he is using Virus Control and recording through the analogue outs, in which case it is well documented that the audio will be early.

There is also a well-documented solution for this.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been listening some soundset demos and well here is just one that came up on youtube first page:

Am I really the only one who hears the compressed plastic sounding attack of the virus? The filter sounds to me like it tries too much as well and as result something just sounds funny on the higher frequencies when the filter envelope is active - sounds messy. (Of course, I am quite picky on how the filter envelope sounds). I must admit though that I kind of like the "Click" sound of virus at around 80hz, that too is much louder than on most synths I have used.

Jimmyklane, I remember you mentioned that on moogs the filter is delayed few ms before it reacts to the envelopes, did you somehow manage to recreate similar thing on the virus? I have tried to use the LFOs as envelope source for the filter as well, but still it just doesn't sound good or natural for those basic synth plucks IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I couldn't get the link to that video to work...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden ➑️

Am I really the only one that hears the compressed plastic sounding attack of the virus?
Nope, but I use it because it sounds like that as it creates a nice contrast with synths with different character.
99% of the patches I make these days involve the spectral waveforms and FM which is the brilliant side of the Virus, imo.
The "conventional"/V.A. side of the Virus is not appealing to me as I have analog synths that sound 10 times better, imo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nope, but I use it because it sounds like that as it creates a nice contrast with synths with different character.
99% of the patches I make these days involve the spectral waveforms and FM which is the brilliant side of the Virus, imo.
The "conventional"/V.A. side of the Virus is not appealing to me as I have analog synths that sound 10 times better, imo.
Which is precisely the reason I said I would miss the TI-only features if I went back to a Virus B (or C).

You can shape, sculpt and modulate a whole world of sounds without ever using the filter, if you want.

D.
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Fair enough, the C has Spectral Waveforms that make the sounds I want. Which is why I sold the Polar TI, the grain/formant/wavetables are not worth the asking price, especially since I don't use the Hypersaw and conventional waveforms and the Virus filters end up getting replaced by Soundtoyz Filterfreak/Slim Phatty/Minitaur/x0xb0x filters and its effects, which are "ok" sounding, end up getting replaced by 3rd party plug ins/moogerfoogers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the grain/formant/wavetables are not worth the asking price, .
It's certainly expensive; I'm not arguing about that. I think it cost me more than all my other stuff put together...

Whether it's TOO expensive is purely a matter of perspective.

D,
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Unless he is using Virus Control and recording through the analogue outs, in which case it is well documented that the audio will be early.

There is also a well-documented solution for this.

D.
That is how I'm running it....There is a sollution? That would be great!

I'm not using the Midi anymore as that is just random out of time and notes keep hanging LOL

As long as I can make it workable I'm happy though
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That is how I'm running it....There is a sollution? That would be great!

I'm not using the Midi anymore as that is just random out of time and notes keep hanging LOL

As long as I can make it workable I'm happy though
One possibility is to use USB audio; that will not have that problem but will need to be set up properly or you will have a whole new set of problems to deal with.

If you want to use the analogue outs, you can start by following the instructions here:

Virus TI - can I use Virus Control together with analog outputs of the virus? Virus control only for midi and sysex - audio coming from analog outputs of the virus? Is it Possible??? - Questions and answers about Virus synthesizers - Access Music Use

If you are using direct monitoring mode, there is advice in the Virus Setup Guide concerning that.

For further help you might do better to ask on the Virus forum. I think we have established what your problem is; for detailed solutions you would be better off asking them.
πŸ“ Reply