VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2go ➑️

What are your thoughts on this unit making trance?
Should I jump the gun and buy it? (Almost saved enough)
I'm kind of hesitant with the Virus because it's been out since 2009... and I fear that TI3 is near...

Appreciate your thoughts/replies!
How much experience do you have with synths? The Virus is not simple and is not really an "instant gratification" synth. You need to know what you're doing to get the good stuff out of it.

Having said that, it is absolutely brilliant for trance.

I don't do much trance, but I did do this track, which sounds like trance to me, and which is entirely Virus (except for the drums and some of the effects). The second half has me dancing round the room, but I'm biased:

The Virus TI came out in 2005, and the TI2 in 2009. There is no sign of the TI3 yet. I don't see this as a disadvantage, like Zahush. It means that it's a mature system with most of the early bugs ironed out, which counts in its favour, as far as I am concerned.
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi guys I'm new here..
So I'm in the market for buying a new synth / building a new home studio...
My $.02, just based on what you wrote. Learn the concepts behind subtractive analog synthesis first. I picked up a book "Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook" and it has helped me really understand the fundamentals.

Access also have a very good guide for synthesis techniques on their site, I just don't recall the title offhand (written mid-2000s).

Then, as for gear, you are mostly just limited by your budget. You are buying at a very rich and glorious time for analog gear, there is literally too much to choose from right now (and in the next few months). As most folks here have said, you really can't go wrong with Virus gear, so that gets you covered in the VA department. But really, the sky's the limit in terms of other gear, limited only by one's credit limit.
Old 12th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey thanks for the reply danielb and DeckardTrinity.

I'm in a place where electronic music production is very limited (Hong Kong... which is dominated by Chinese/Cantonese Pop music), so equipment such as synthesizers for production is very limited and hard to find. I can't really get a "hands on" feel to it, and can only rely on YouTube + internet to get information.

I have been reading quite a bit in Future Music / Computer Music magazines, so I'm trying to get the basics right... (in parallel, I'm learning my DAW right now from scratch as well)
That said, I'll check out Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook as DeckardTrinity suggested.

That said, I could start now by purchasing a cheaper MIDI keyboard, but my friend who did some music production classes told me to get an analog synth instead due to it's flexibility. She said that creating your own sound is better than software synths, and I did read a lot of posts about this debate (analog synth vs software synth) as well. I guess she can teach me more once I get a keyboard lol.

Well, I know I'm sort of "rushing" to get a unit because I'll be visiting the US soon, and I can buy it from places like Guitar Center without the heavy shipping fees.

Well also, the Nord Lead 4 just came out, and I know the Nord Lead produces great EDM sounds too, so I guess I'll have to read a bit more before buying..

Thanks for your reply again! Appreciate it.
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm kind of hesitant with the Virus because it's been out since 2009... and I fear that TI3 is near...

For trance I would look at the King Korg and second hand nord lead 3 and a second hand TI. Those are the 3 I use.

A new TI2 is a lot of $ for %25 more DSP. I don't need it in any of my productions personally.

I have TI, NL3, King Korg, A6 Andromeda, Jupiter 6 X2, Moog Voyager, Heartmann Neuron,Roland JX10 and Solaris on the way!

IMO Solaris will be the one with the most power/features tho.
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

If I had to pick just one now. Korg Kronos. I can write a whole song with just it, and not just one or two, hundreds.

For bass, Sub phatty or slim phatty. For analog Poly, Mopho x4 with a tetra.

For VA, Ti2 used. It does way more than a king korg...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi guys I'm new here..
So I'm in the market for buying a new synth / building a new home studio...

Just a brief background of me music wise: After like 10 years listening trance/house/progressive EDM music, I got all fascinated with DJ-ing in between. Then I bought all my gears from Pioneer since 2006, and now I'm finally starting to get interested in making sounds.

I did tons of research, starting to learn terms like LFO, oscillators etc (hey, you don't need that if you DJ lol).
So I finally stumbled across the Access Virus TI2 Polar.... seeing all those YouTube videos on how versatile it is, I am really interested with this synth!

I think for you I recommend getting a used Virus TI + a Moog Little Phatty/Sub Phatty. with these two you cover a lot of ground. Really softsynths these days are amazing, so it comes down to what kind of person you are. I'm a hands-on person, so I do hardware.

That said, Zebra, Diva, Sylenth, and Massive are amazing the quality of sound and price. But if you want hardware, Virus TI comes with a preposterous # of presets to get you started, and then if you're like me, you'll want to program your own, and it can do practically anything. It's very versatile. That with a Moog for bass, and you are covered.

I hope this is helpful! Keep us posted!
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1
And if you get one of these, you can get close to feeling like you're dealing with hardware:

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula ➑️
I think for you I recommend getting a used Virus TI + a Moog Little Phatty/Sub Phatty. with these two you cover a lot of ground. Really softsynths these days are amazing, so it comes down to what kind of person you are. I'm a hands-on person, so I do hardware.

That said, Zebra, Diva, Sylenth, and Massive are amazing the quality of sound and price. But if you want hardware, Virus TI comes with a preposterous # of presets to get you started, and then if you're like me, you'll want to program your own, and it can do practically anything. It's very versatile. That with a Moog for bass, and you are covered.

I hope this is helpful! Keep us posted!

Listen to this guy, and me. The Virus and the Slim Phatty Compliment each other sooo well! I love it so much, I bought another Slim Phatty to poly chain them! I have a DSI Prophet too, but majority of my music uses the Virus/Slim to an heavy extent. I am gonna add the Nord Lead 4 to that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
Listen to this guy, and me. The Virus and the Slim Phatty Compliment each other sooo well! I love it so much, I bought another Slim Phatty to poly chain them! I have a DSI Prophet too, but majority of my music uses the Virus/Slim to an heavy extent. I am gonna add the Nord Lead 4 to that.
I agree.

I have both and they really do compliment each other well.

This track is entirely Virus, with Slim Phatty Bass. I don't know what it is, but it's not trance:

Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
I agree.

I have both and they really do compliment each other well.

This track is entirely Virus, with Slim Phatty Bass. I don't know what it is, but it's not trance:

Agreed, Virus/Moog combo= +1

The creamy Moog sound meshes extremely well with the darker/dirty virus sound....(doesn't HAVE to be dark/dirty, with the built in EQ!) Also, you'll have an analog reference for making analog-like tones with the Virus! Earlier in this thread I've placed some examples of Virus TI Snow vs. Moog Slim Phatty... you can hear that they get pretty darn close to each other, even without me taking hours perfecting them!
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What is the latency issue when Virus is used via Moog?)
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Should i go for a ti2keyboard just now or wait and see if ti3 comes out.
Old 13th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
what do you guys think of the nord lead 4 for a noob like me?
Seems much easier to use than the Virus TI2.....
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yana ➑️
You might be waiting for a while.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
what do you guys think of the nord lead 4 for a noob like me?
Seems much easier to use than the Virus TI2.....
Yeah, get it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yana ➑️
I bought my TI2 keyboard about 3-4 months ago. I was little concerned that I might end up having the latest nad greatest for a very short time, but I bought it anyway because a) I am not really that bothered about having the latest and greatest and b) I got a really good deal on a TI2.

There have been two major music shows since then and still no sign of hte TI#, so it looks like my little gamble paid off.

My advice would be to get the TI2 for what it is, if you want one, and not to obsess about what might be in a hypothetical future version, of which there is no sign as yet.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Well, you know, if you put shipping and taxes into that calculation (as the original price is 3799$), all i can say is that the Virus TI doesn't move by itself, obviously (or prophet 12, or any other synth for that matter that makes its way over here), and it doesn't does so for free. So 3000$ for a virus TI2 kb isn't really 3000$ either when you add shipping and taxes.
I carried mine home on the train. I couldn't do that with a Solaris...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I carried mine home on the train. I couldn't do that with a Solaris...
I'm not sure i follow you. If you're talking about a virus TI2 keyboard you bought from a store in Israel ('Marom' i would presume) than the price for it in Israel includes the shipping, VAT, and other taxes the store had to pay to get it over here, and still make some profit. If my memory serves me well, than the price for a new one in Israel is more than 16,000 shekels which is somehere near 4500$. Would be similar if you tried to import a TI2 on your own (unless you tried to "sneak" it thru customs to save on VAT).
Unless you mean the desktop version of the TI2.
Please explain, because i have no idea what you meant.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
I'm not sure i follow you. If you're talking about a virus TI2 keyboard you bought from a store in Israel ('Marom' i would presume) than the price for it in Israel includes the shipping, VAT, and other taxes the store had to pay to get it over here, and still make some profit. If my memory serves me well, than the price for a new one in Israel is more than 16,000 shekels which is somehere near 4500$. Would be similar if you tried to import a TI2 on your own (unless you tried to "sneak" it thru customs to save on VAT).
Unless you mean the desktop version of the TI2.
Please explain, because i have no idea what you meant.
I didn't "mean" anything. I simply remarked that I carried my Virus home on the train. I think that availability is an advantage for something that expensive, and local service. I have imported stuff myself, but only small stuff like a Mopho and the Microzwerg.

The list price is NIS 15,500, IIRC.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I didn't "mean" anything. I simply remarked that I carried my Virus home on the train.
Well, it wasn't obvious that you were talking about availability since your response was to a quote of mine concerning the price and shipping. Excuse me if i didn't understand. It doesn't cost much to write the word "availability" either.

Quote:
I think that availability is an advantage for something that expensive, and local service.
It divides to two:
1) There are certain instruments that if you want to get a hold of - you got to import, wether they're big or small. If you wanted to start a eurorack modular at your home in Israel - you'd have no choice but to order all the modules from boutique companies. And if something went wrong, you'd have to start shipping them around the world.
When i wanted to buy a polyevolver keyboard, 5 years ago, i had no choice but to import it independently over here. The alternative was to let go of the idea, and settle for what you can find in Israeli stores.

2) Lots of people here even import stuff that you can find in local stores, just because of the price difference. In most cases, if you buy something in Israel the warranty is over after a year or two, and you have to pay for repairs even if you bought it here. So people bring stuff from abroad, and in 99% of the time the gear doesn't break in the first 2 years anyway, so there's no difference.

As for repairing, i see vintage stuff getting repaired from time to time, even though it's not even sold for more than two decades.
Not to mention the question: what if someone has a virus b that he bought in Israel, and needs repair?
So all this service and repair is temporary anyway (think of what happens if someone bought a virus from 'musicstore', which was shut down after a few years).
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think we're getting into a bit of a pointless argument here, and taking the thread (which is kind of pointless in itself) off on a tangent.
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Love the sound of Virus. Have had 2 a Virus B and a TI 2. But I love Moog most and ended up with a Voyager and a DSI Tetra. With the software that is available I don't feel compelled to own a Virus anymore. If I'm going hardware I do prefer real analogue.
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well here we go....After owning A Virus A and B, Ti, Ti Snow and now a Ti2 I can simply say it does not come close to being the best!

SOUND - Great! Can't fault it for what I'm using it for (Mainly Trance / Progressive House)

USE - A pain in the ass! - Latency is the pain of my life with the Ti series and therefore I kept buying and selling. All in the hope the issues would be fixed in the next version, at one point I had fully given up but due to the sound of it when I got the chance to get a bargain on a Ti2 a few days back I went for it.
Hoping this time it would all be different after hearing stories that the Ti2 was behaving better. No such thing though, back in problem land with latency as all the other times.

So after once again trying to get some tips/answers from Access support it is becoming clear that you simply in many cases have to live with the latency as there are no simple solutions (well no solution really)
This is making me think again about selling the Ti2 and buying something that is not giving me a head ache and still has the cool sounds.

Such a shame really
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley ➑️
Well here we go....After owning A Virus A and B, Ti, Ti Snow and now a Ti2 I can simply say it does not come close to being the best!

SOUND - Great! Can't fault it for what I'm using it for (Mainly Trance / Progressive House)

USE - A pain in the ass! - Latency is the pain of my life with the Ti series and therefore I kept buying and selling. All in the hope the issues would be fixed in the next version, at one point I had fully given up but due to the sound of it when I got the chance to get a bargain on a Ti2 a few days back I went for it.
Hoping this time it would all be different after hearing stories that the Ti2 was behaving better. No such thing though, back in problem land with latency as all the other times.

So after once again trying to get some tips/answers from Access support it is becoming clear that you simply in many cases have to live with the latency as there are no simple solutions (well no solution really)
This is making me think again about selling the Ti2 and buying something that is not giving me a head ache and still has the cool sounds.

Such a shame really
Right words. Me in same situation
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Such a shame really
Sold the Polar TI for the same reasons, bought a Virus C (and some analog synths) and never looked back.

Have to say that with the money you need to get a Virus TI2, you can get a Virus C and some Moogefoogers (MF-101, MF-103 and MF-108 would be my picks considering the price) which with some overdrive, transform the Virus into a brand new synth that sounds 10 times better than the dry Virus sound.

The output of my Virus C is almost hardwired into my MF-103 these days.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
Sold the Polar TI for the same reasons, bought a Virus C (and some analog synths) and never looked back.

Have to say that with the money you need to get a Virus TI2, you can get a Virus C and some Moogefoogers (MF-101, MF-103 and MF-108 would be my picks considering the price) which with some overdrive, transform the Virus into a brand new synth that sounds 10 times better than the dry Virus sound.

The output of my Virus C is almost hardwired into my MF-103 these days.
Same with my Virus B and 108/104!... by the way, i commented on that fantastic Slim Phatty track you posted over on the Moog forum. Again, EXCELLENT work with pushing the Slim Phatty past it's obvious zone!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
Same with my Virus B and 108/104!... by the way, i commented on that fantastic Slim Phatty track you posted over on the Moog forum. Again, EXCELLENT work with pushing the Slim Phatty past it's obvious zone!
Nice one mate, cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Such a shame really
I found that with a bit of work it is possible to get it working quite well. I'm not sure it is 100% solid but it is far from inherently unreliable.

What computer are you using, and what DAW?

FWIW, exploring my TI2 I am beginning to realise that some of the most interesting sound-creation possibilities are in the TI-only features, and I would miss them if I went back to a B, which I had once before.

D.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
FWIW, exploring my TI2 I am beginning to realise that some of the most interesting sound-creation possibilities are in the TI-only features, and I would miss them if I went back to a B, which I had once before.
D.
I get what you're saying.... dual wavetables, formant/grain tables, hypersaw()....B doesn't have the Moog filter, but I don't care for it compared to the audio in of my actual Moog. the Atomizer was a ton of fun to play with... but how many songs can you glitch all to hell before they all sound the same?!!?

3rd osc, i was really missing, but then i updated and there it is! I only had a snow, so I actually GAINED 12 parts of timbrality, even if I did lose some polyphony (debateable on the Snow!) what i really like is being able to actually PLAN my voice count. as you know, the TI is a shared voice pool, where the A, B, and C are fixed count, and you spend them as voices, unison, or 3rd osc (some of the nicer effects on the C, as well, i think)... to me, that's a huge boon, as I KNOW when I'm getting into voice stealing when using multiple parts.
Old 20th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

D.
Yeah, when I had a TI, I think most of the sounds I programmed ended up being based on the wavetable oscillators (wavetable scanning synths are probably my favorite type overall, so I latched right onto that aspect of it).

Btw, it's been what, almost 40 years now since The Doctor blew up your spaceship and you're still stuck on Earth? Bummer.
πŸ“ Reply