The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 9th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Knight ➑️
I agree.

I'm looking at getting one, bit pricey though compared to the amount of older gear I could pick up for Β£1,800. Dx7, mopho, mpc 60 and a new sub phatty and still change for a pizza or two, do people really believe its a good price for what you get?
Not me, which is why I sold my Polar TI and got a Virus C and some analog gear with all that change.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
Not me, which is why I sold my Polar TI and got a Virus C and some analog gear with all that change.
HA! smart.

Virus C does many things the TI does, had the "virus sound" and can be had for 8-900 on a good day, leaving enough left over for the new MS-20mini+some kick ass pedals
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really wanted a Virus TI but hearing DIVA was getting a JP -8000 oscillator module and an Oberheim filter I will be very comfortable with DIVA .

I though Hans Zimmer used Zebra HZ for Dark Knight Rises.
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I got it for 450€ mint with rack ears. They do pop up as people are crazy over the TI.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I got it for 450€ mint with rack ears. They do pop up as people are crazy over the TI.
if you can get a stable CTRLR setup, you pretty much have TI for the B or C... it's pretty great.... I have yet to update my signature again, but I sold the TI Snow for the Blofeld, Virus B, and money for the MS-20. I feel like I got the better deal.... although at some point I may buy a Polar (or Indigo) for a composition tool due to it's 16 parts and excellent keybed.

If you check out Future Music (#260 i think) you'll see the "in the studio" with Vito of Aeroplane who does exactly what I've been doing... write on the virus and then farm the parts to the analogs for mixdown....only problem is that my analogs aren't nearly as numerous or valuable as his and not feeding an API desk! other than that, similarities abound!
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

No software does what the virus TI2 does. The knobs, the interface, then all the bells and whistles and what not, not even diva can make as many sounds as the virus..

Apples and oranges. One does not "REPLACE" the other.
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A combination of soft synths does though, for the most part and sounds even better in some cases, but that's subjective.
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, Still it does not sound like the virus!!!

Nothing does.

Largo does not, sylneth1 does not, dune does not, diva does not, ace does not, zebra does not, neither do any of the arturia plugs. etc etc etc. LOL
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Fair enough, it has its sound, I think so as well anyway, which is why I bothered to buy the C.
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➑️
Yeah, Still it does not sound like the virus!!!

Nothing does.

Largo does not, sylneth1 does not, dune does not, diva does not, ace does not, zebra does not, neither do any of the arturia plugs. etc etc etc. LOL
Sound? No, there IS a "Virus Sound" and it is not replicated by even multiple software synths.... However, I did post much earlier in this thread that to ATTEMPT to replace the virus with VSTis, you'd need a great VA, a Wavetable synth, something like the szabo JP-emu, and probably Reason (since that's the only other graintable/formant table synth I've heard of)!!!

What I specifically meant, is that FOR ME.... The Virus B and CTRLR setup replaces almost all of what I used my virus for. I'm not doing the whole super saw-trance-anthem thing with mine(nothing wrong with that!). I was very probably under utilizing my virus TI snow, but the 4-part limit got to me too often!
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Solaris eats it for breakfast
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Solaris eats it for breakfast
Meh...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
Meh...
Without salt.
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bull
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
Bull
In sound, features, dsp power, interface. You name it.
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Don't get pissed because YOU spent $4,500 on what you can have for less! The real problem with using logic in a situation is that there is an emotional imperative to defend what you paid for....you DO own a Solaris, right? Did you sell your virus for it? Or do you tell yourself these things to feel better(we ALL do!)

I SOLD my TI..... But I can ****ing tell you RIGHT NOW that I'll never drop most of five grand on a VA....Jesus, go buy a Prophet T8, lose two voices(from the Solaris) and be truly at the pinnacle of analog polysynths....you can have a Jupiter 8 for that price provided you're willing to not use eBay.

Sound: Solaris and virus are on par
Features/Interface: win some lose some...10 vs 120 voices? But excellent UI on Solaris only matched when you use TI and computer for Virus
DSP Power: who the **** cares? It's a synth not a computer

bottom line, you are entitled to your opinion if you actually own a Solaris....if not....
I disagree with your choice to spend $$4,500 on a virtual analog synth, and I've got $4,500 to spend in cash without consequences.....if you used CREDIT...for shame.

Good luck.

Last edited by jimmyklane; 10th April 2013 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: OK, $4,250 after shipping.... I was off some change
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here we go again...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Don't get pissed because YOU spent $4,500 on what you can have for less! The real problem with using logic in a situation is that there is an emotional imperative to defend what you paid for....you DO own a Solaris, right? Did you sell your virus for it? Or do you tell yourself these things to feel better(we ALL do!)

I SOLD my TI..... But I can ****ing tell you RIGHT NOW that I'll never drop most of five grand on a VA....Jesus, go buy a Prophet T8, lose two voices(from the Solaris) and be truly at the pinnacle of analog polysynths....you can have a Jupiter 8 for that price provided you're willing to not use eBay.

Sound: Solaris and virus are on par
Features/Interface: win some lose some...10 vs 120 voices? But excellent UI on Solaris only matched when you use TI and computer for Virus
DSP Power: who the **** cares? It's a synth not a computer

bottom line, you are entitled to your opinion if you actually own a Solaris....if not....
I disagree with your choice to spend $$4,500 on a virtual analog synth, and I've got $4,500 to spend in cash without consequences.....if you used CREDIT...for shame.

Good luck.
Well, the thread's title is "VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth?".
The question wasn't is it the best for the money, but is it the best. So first of all, this title invites comparisons. Second, i'm assuming this isn't an apples vs oranges sort of question where you compare a digital synth with an analog poly such as the T8 or Jup8 etc.

About price, i actually paid 3799$ for it. I don't have a clue where you got your info. The initial price is 3999$, and if you pay the whole amount in one time - than it's 3799$. That's 799$ more than a virus TI2 keyboard.

As for features, dsp power, polyphony etc:

1) Solaris wins on features on almost every category. The TI has 3 lfo's, the solaris has 5 lfo's - that reach audio rate. The TI has 3 or 4 envelopes (wasn't one added in the latest OS5 update?), and the Solaris has 7 envelopes. 6 of these envelopes are multi stage envelopes, and the 7th envelope is an 8 stage loopable envelope.
The solaris has way more oscilator and filter types than the TI.
For starters, other than lots of "classic" analog like waveforms and all the wavetables from the microwave - it also has all the prophet vs waves (and a joystick to actually make some vector synthesis). It also has sample playback. That, i think, the TI does not have.
It has an arppegiator (and so does the TI), but also a 16X4 step sequencer, which the TI definetly doesn't have. It has the two rotors.
It has 4 virtual vca's, 4 mixers, and 4 layers of sounds.
Modulation routings puts the TI to shame.
And yes, there's the interface. In comparison to that small screen - the solaris has 5 long lcd screens and a 6th big one.
Joystick and ribbon controller. Etc etc...
And - sound quality is 32bit \ 96khz.

About dsp power - yes it is important.
Dsp power is what enables the synth to make all the calculations needed for more complex sounds, or other features sych as audio rate modulations without glitches. This is the proccessing power.
You need proccessing power if you want better sounds. That is why, for example, Diva - needs a strong pc host if you want it to run properly without any crackles.

So from this point of view, the Virus TI2 has 2 dsp chips of the older generation - while the Solaris has 6 sharc dsp chips of the latest generation.

About polyphony, two main things:
1) The nearest firmware update for the Solaris is going to implement a smarter proccessing power distribution. Right now the polyphony is 10 voices on both simple patches and complex ones. The new algorithm will allow the synth to reach up to 20 voice polyphony when making simpler sounds (when i say simpler, think a pad with 2 sawtooth waves detuned, filter, envelope on the filter and vca, an lfo or two etc.). The solaris will hit a bottom of 10 voice polyphony only when using all 5 lfo's, 7 envelopes, all the mixers, fx, etc.
4 part mt is also in that firmware update.

2) This is similar, in a way, in the TI. First of all, in all the specs it says that polyphony on a "normal" situation on the TI is 80, and not 120.
Nonetheless, it is also mentioned that when you use the TI to its fullest (such as when you use the granular synthesis, and add more modulations etc), polyphony can also quickly drop to 10 voices.

About the integration and programming the TI from your pc - well i have to say that if all the point of a hardware synth is the fun and imediacy of tweaking knobs instead of clickidy click the mouse, than the "virus control" is not an argument.

The TI hardware changed very little, since it's been out from 2004(!!!), with an upgrade of additional 25% proccessing power - while vst's advanced significantly. It's an old horse.
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Generally speaking, that is some serious cash...one can go well into modular land and have a beast of an analog (ok mono) synth.

If I had 3799 to blow on a synth, I would start building a modular. There is no way (imo) a synth that sounds like the Virus, is worth so much cash....hence why the TI got the boot, whereas the C, stayed.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, the thread's title is "VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth?".
The question wasn't is it the best for the money, but is it the best. So first of all, this title invites comparisons. Second, i'm assuming this isn't an apples vs oranges sort of question where you compare a digital synth with an analog poly such as the T8 or Jup8 etc.

About price, i actually paid 3799$ for it. I don't have a clue where you got your info. The initial price is 3999$, and if you pay the whole amount in one time - than it's 3799$. That's 799$ more than a virus TI2 keyboard.

As for features, dsp power, polyphony etc:

1) Solaris wins on features on almost every category. The TI has 3 lfo's, the solaris has 5 lfo's - that reach audio rate. The TI has 3 or 4 envelopes (wasn't one added in the latest OS5 update?), and the Solaris has 7 envelopes. 6 of these envelopes are multi stage envelopes, and the 7th envelope is an 8 stage loopable envelope.
The solaris has way more oscilator and filter types than the TI.
For starters, other than lots of "classic" analog like waveforms and all the wavetables from the microwave - it also has all the prophet vs waves (and a joystick to actually make some vector synthesis). It also has sample playback. That, i think, the TI does not have.
It has an arppegiator (and so does the TI), but also a 16X4 step sequencer, which the TI definetly doesn't have. It has the two rotors.
It has 4 virtual vca's, 4 mixers, and 4 layers of sounds.
Modulation routings puts the TI to shame.
And yes, there's the interface. In comparison to that small screen - the solaris has 5 long lcd screens and a 6th big one.
Joystick and ribbon controller. Etc etc...
And - sound quality is 32bit \ 96khz.

About dsp power - yes it is important.
Dsp power is what enables the synth to make all the calculations needed for more complex sounds, or other features sych as audio rate modulations without glitches. This is the proccessing power.
You need proccessing power if you want better sounds. That is why, for example, Diva - needs a strong pc host if you want it to run properly without any crackles.

So from this point of view, the Virus TI2 has 2 dsp chips of the older generation - while the Solaris has 6 sharc dsp chips of the latest generation.

About polyphony, two main things:
1) The nearest firmware update for the Solaris is going to implement a smarter proccessing power distribution. Right now the polyphony is 10 voices on both simple patches and complex ones. The new algorithm will allow the synth to reach up to 20 voice polyphony when making simpler sounds (when i say simpler, think a pad with 2 sawtooth waves detuned, filter, envelope on the filter and vca, an lfo or two etc.). The solaris will hit a bottom of 10 voice polyphony only when using all 5 lfo's, 7 envelopes, all the mixers, fx, etc.
4 part mt is also in that firmware update.

2) This is similar, in a way, in the TI. First of all, in all the specs it says that polyphony on a "normal" situation on the TI is 80, and not 120.
Nonetheless, it is also mentioned that when you use the TI to its fullest (such as when you use the granular synthesis, and add more modulations etc), polyphony can also quickly drop to 10 voices.

About the integration and programming the TI from your pc - well i have to say that if all the point of a hardware synth is the fun and imediacy of tweaking knobs instead of clickidy click the mouse, than the "virus control" is not an argument.

The TI hardware changed very little, since it's been out from 2004(!!!), with an upgrade of additional 25% proccessing power - while vst's advanced significantly. It's an old horse.
Fair enough.... you'll see i made an edit and put ~$4,250... I didn't see the $200 discount for an upfront payment, but that's a nice thing and unusual in the synth business!

Of course DSP powers synths, and in that context, it's important. With all that power under the hood, I can't see why the Solaris isn't multi-timbral.... at some point, things just get silly.... the 5 LFO's i get, given 4 osc/voice... if you want lush pads, PWM of each osc with a separate LFO is a really easy way to get there! But SEVEN envelopes? I can't think of what to do with more than 5 or so, unless you're trying to make "modular noise"(you have all seen videos with exactly what I'm talking about!) instead of "music"....Of course, they thread IS "VIRUS TI-BEST...." and it probably isn't the BEST, but I can't think of what is, and if I could, it would be different for the next man in line. So you are right to compare, and I was wrong to be a jerk about it, please accept my apology.

If the Solaris were analog, I'd pay $7,000 for it, but it isn't... and I wouldn't pay full price for a TI2 either...I bought a Snow. To my sensibilities, 3k+++ is too much money for a VA synth, even though both the Virus and the Solaris(im sure) are worlds above plugin's in terms of sound, they still don't "do analog" quite like analog. I'm not an analog snob at all, I've got quite a number of synths, even at home, that are digital and not analog....but they are VERY digital ala Blofeld. YMMV, and what matters is that you're happy with the Solaris, and many of us are happy with our Virus A/B/C/TI/TI2.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Generally speaking, that is some serious cash...one can go well into modular land and have a beast of an analog (ok mono) synth.

If I had 3799 to blow on a synth, I would start building a modular. There is no way (imo) a synth that sounds like the Virus, is worth so much cash....hence why the TI got the boot, whereas the C, stayed.

Worth is a relative term. It obviously diffirent things to diffirent people. You can argue all day that there are better things out there, but in the end nothing comes close to what TI represents as a whole package.

Not in terms of quality but in terms of combination.

Soundwise TI does not fascinate me, there is a minority of sounds I have heard come out of it that I would consider exciting. But having the oportunity to demo one a couple of times there is a certain fun factor that invites you to make sounds.

Also personally I know I would not like the spaghetti hell of a modular analogue and I suspect many other people do so too.

I cant justify purchasing TI at the momen, but who knows one day.

Regarding Solaris, its certainly another very impressive synth I would consider, dont know how easy it is to buy it.
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had a Virus TI for awhile and I personally didn't care for it at all. I like the sound of the Virus B or C much, much more. I would really like to pick up a KC or Indigo 2, I absolutely love those and I think they sound fantastic. I'm not saying the Virus TI is crap, I just didn't like it. I had it for about 2 years and I finally sold it and picked up a Roland Juno 106 and Oberheim Matrix 1000 and I was much happier. I now have a Prophet 08 PE and a Moog Voyager and I LOVE them, but I plan on adding an Indigo 2 or KC to my rig in the next year. Fantastic for ambient textures and pads and many other things.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon ➑️
Worth is a relative term. It obviously diffirent things to diffirent people. You can argue all day that there are better things out there, but in the end nothing comes close to what TI represents as a whole package.

Not in terms of quality but in terms of combination.

Soundwise TI does not fascinate me, there is a minority of sounds I have heard come out of it that I would consider exciting. But having the oportunity to demo one a couple of times there is a certain fun factor that invites you to make sounds.

Also personally I know I would not like the spaghetti hell of a modular analogue and I suspect many other people do so too.

I cant justify purchasing TI at the momen, but who knows one day.

Regarding Solaris, its certainly another very impressive synth I would consider, dont know how easy it is to buy it.
Which is why I said "imo". Fair enough that the Virus is probably the most complete synth, feature wise. I think so too. It just that its sound does not reflect its price, imo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Fair enough.... you'll see i made an edit and put ~$4,250... I didn't see the $200 discount for an upfront payment, but that's a nice thing and unusual in the synth business!.
Well, you know, if you put shipping and taxes into that calculation (as the original price is 3799$), all i can say is that the Virus TI doesn't move by itself, obviously (or prophet 12, or any other synth for that matter that makes its way over here), and it doesn't does so for free. So 3000$ for a virus TI2 kb isn't really 3000$ either when you add shipping and taxes.

Quote:
I can't see why the Solaris isn't multi-timbral
You're right. And as i said, the nearest firmware update is going to give it 4 part multi timbrality.
But right now it has something "sort of" ish. Each sound has up to 4 layers - each could be with different oscilators, filters etc.
Which brings me to the next question:

Quote:
the 5 LFO's i get, given 4 osc/voice... if you want lush pads, PWM of each osc with a separate LFO is a really easy way to get there! But SEVEN envelopes? I can't think of what to do with more than 5 or so, unless you're trying to make "modular noise"
Sure, if someone preffers "modular noise" than i guess it can get there pretty quick. But at the moment when multi timbrality isn't yet implemented, there is still the four layers per patch thing. This means that if you want a wavetable on one layer, and you want to sweep it with an envelope, perhaps. And a second layer using the moog type oscilators going thru sem filters, and you'd want to use 2 envelopes on that. And... you get the picture. Yeah, it can get pretty complex when you think of 4 layers (and that's still mono timbral). Doesn't have to sound like butterflies farting around though.

And there's another use for all those envelopes. Here's a link to some sounds that Ken Elhardt programmed on the Solaris. Most of them are emulations of acoustic instruments - and the amazing part is that he didn't use any samples at all. It's all done by pure synthesis using regular waveshapes and wavetables, and implementing all the features, envelopes and lfo's to twist and bend the sound so it sounds as close as it gets to acoustic instruments:

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
No the Kurzweil PC3 and Korg Kronos is the best synths.
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube66 ➑️
No the Kurzweil PC3 and Korg Kronos is the best synths.
Seriously?

*barf*
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Seriously what?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm just curious - do you actually have a Solaris in-hand, or still waiting?

I ask because I did the whole pre-pay upfront thing last year (Feb '12), then quickly realized that John wasn't going to be able to deliver in the timeframe I had originally envisioned (the original promise was April, then slipped to May, then June, etc). So decided to get a refund, and went with the TI2 keyboard instead. Not regretting that decision one bit in fact, have learned and written a ton since then, but would consider a Solaris in the future if they were more readily available.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity ➑️
I'm just curious - do you actually have a Solaris in-hand, or still waiting?

I ask because I did the whole pre-pay upfront thing last year (Feb '12), then quickly realized that John wasn't going to be able to deliver in the timeframe I had originally envisioned (the original promise was April, then slipped to May, then June, etc). So decided to get a refund, and went with the TI2 keyboard instead. Not regretting that decision one bit in fact, have learned and written a ton since then, but would consider a Solaris in the future if they were more readily available.
I'm still waiting for mine (not one of the first ones on the list). All i can say is that some of the forum members on the Solaris forum have reported that they were given tracking numbers, and that the first solaris units of the current batch are on their way to their new happy owners. Production started a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi guys I'm new here..
So I'm in the market for buying a new synth / building a new home studio...

Just a brief background of me music wise: After like 10 years listening trance/house/progressive EDM music, I got all fascinated with DJ-ing in between. Then I bought all my gears from Pioneer since 2006, and now I'm finally starting to get interested in making sounds.

I did tons of research, starting to learn terms like LFO, oscillators etc (hey, you don't need that if you DJ lol).
So I finally stumbled across the Access Virus TI2 Polar.... seeing all those YouTube videos on how versatile it is, I am really interested with this synth!

What are your thoughts on this unit making trance?
Should I jump the gun and buy it? (Almost saved enough)
I'm kind of hesitant with the Virus because it's been out since 2009... and I fear that TI3 is near...

Appreciate your thoughts/replies!
πŸ“ Reply