Quantcast
Live setup - mobile interface or hardware? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live setup - mobile interface or hardware?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Live setup - mobile interface or hardware?

I tried some searches, but could find relevant info (sorry if it has been covered many times).

My band has an inconsistent lineup of keyboard players, so I am trying to set up our own live rig for basic keyboard sounds which different folks can come in and play. I've got a midi controller and amp, and now I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy a hardware sound module, or if an I-Rig (or similar) iOS device will work out well enough. We will be touring, so durability and bug-free use are a concern.

We mostly need piano and organ sounds, with some occasional string or woodwind patches.

I'm pretty impressed with some of the sounds on my iPhone aps, and it is certainly a cheap option. I'm out of element, though, so I'm hoping to get some perspective from actual live keyboard players.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
A serious keys player (or any musician for that matter) should have their own rig. If they don't have gear, then it is likely that haven't invested any money in their craft which, to me, implies a lack of commitment. You don't want those kind of players because those are the guys that don't come through for things like rehearsal space rent.

That said, Ipads and Iphones are pretty expensive and maybe a little fragile/droppable. You can get an old MOTIF rack pretty cheap on ebay/craigslist. That should fill your descibed sound requirements and be pretty durable and easy for a sit-in player to use.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for chiming in.

I should mention this is likely a stop-gap measure, and our keyboard parts don't really require a pro keyboardist (who would probably have their own live rig). I can play the parts - and I suck.

Anyway, I would rather have a hardware interface (if, for nothing else than to not have my iphone attached to a keyboard at practice), but I can't find anything that wouldn't be 5X the price used...It is pretty amazing how much sound module still go for given how mobile software is nowadays.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
5x the price of what?

If I'm interpreting you correctly, 5x the price of the iPhone? I guess it depends on the iPhone. Can you get a used iPod touch to run the app you like?

Here's a motif Keyboard in your neck of the woods I think. You could probably talk him down to 350.

http://portland.***************/mlt/msg/3559759366.html
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Alesis Fusion can be had relatively cheap and has a decent sound set (many free libraries available)...not to mention you can pretty much sample anything and/or put your backing tracks in there (if you have to phone it in/keyboard player calls in sick), and it has good synth engines as well. Poor man's Kronos, I'd say.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…