🎧 10 years
Oddity,
Reaktor's Grobian,
Massive,
if I had it: Diva.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm finding some satisfaction using Massive to do stuff that doesn't always go wub wub wub. It's got very damn sophisticated routing/modulation options which possibly could be exploited for different stuff.
Old 8th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I concur on Diva for the warm retro'ey stuff. The new beta has oscillator sync which makes it a bit easier to control for more modern style sounds. If you dont mind patching stuff up I'd recommend U-he Bazille, it's still free and has some kinda unique options, like feedback from and to pretty much anywhere. For crazy modulated bass a lot of people overlook Zebra2 as well. You can make your own wavetables so it should be an obvious choice if you're into crazy drum'n'bass/dubstep type sounds.
Old 9th May 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0873393
Best bass sounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
A sampler plugin + samples of my hardware
This I find is better. I LOVE messing with direct samples of basses from my hardware synths, then layering, filtering, effecting the sound etc. I find I get a fatter bass that sits well. I alter the EQ to make it surface more in the mix.
But if you don't have any hardware synths or modules, I find the best VST instrument basses are from Trillian and Nexus. Nexus has some great basses along with some stunning pads. You can also realtime filter via the mod wheel.
Old 9th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ableton Operator
Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FabFilter Twin 2
is worth looking into. Kind of good solid round basses.
Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think there is "the best" because many synth can be used and at the end the song will sound great.
I have a good experience with FXPansion Strobe for the more analog sound but also with Absynth. Diva can work but also the Arturia Minimoog.
Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
(almost) Any good synth will wake "good" basses.

Any capable synth can wobble a lot. Its quite easy. Some Dubstep basses are more complex. Amazing what you can do with an FM8 for example, when FM synths are not especially reknowed for their warmth.

There are literraly thousands of different basses to be made in EDM style.

Maybe you should try a couple of demos, and see what you can do with them ? Or post examples of basses you would like to approach ?
Old 27th September 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
For bass, I am a big fan of FM8 and EDM often makes good use of FM bass sounds. I also use Logic ES2 on occasion. Layering a couple different bass patches together can produce something a little more complex.

You should be able to produce a decent bass patch with almost anything. It is technique more than the plug-in. It is a little more involved to design a bass sound using FM versus analog but FM is often more capable in terms of character and punchiness if you learn to use it.
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Idk about best but I really like Massive
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

I dont think there is a 'best' one, it really depends what sound you are looking for.

Personally I like Arturia Moog Modular and Waves Element the most, for a house and techno sound.
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Monark for Reaktor - the most woody and deep bottom end I've heard on a soft synth yet. With a snappy and spitty envelope - think Minimoog emulation
Not as organic as my real analogs, but the bottom end and punch is all there.
Old 29th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthminx ➑️
This I find is better. I LOVE messing with direct samples of basses from my hardware synths, then layering, filtering, effecting the sound etc. I find I get a fatter bass that sits well. I alter the EQ to make it surface more in the mix.
But if you don't have any hardware synths or modules, I find the best VST instrument basses are from Trillian and Nexus. Nexus has some great basses along with some stunning pads. You can also realtime filter via the mod wheel.
Now it's samples of my hardware and a hardware sampler. Got to love those E-MU filters. Thanks to having a hybrid setup it's easy to record to the daw for resampling.
Old 29th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sample of Monark in action....
Attached Files

CCJ_Monark_Bass.mp3 (1.45 MB, 721 views)

Old 29th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
FXPansion Orca
TAL Bassline 101
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Not sure if it's "the best" because I haven't tried every plug-in but, I'm constantly using Reaktor for bass. Although I've often been neglectful of it, I've recently been using the Novation Bass Station plug-in, and it's really quite good.

I just finished a new "house-ish" track with both of them in action, if anyone cares to listen. Reaktor's Mr.MONO ensemble is the first bass you hear, and the one in the "chorus" is the Bass Station plug-in:

Seoul Glo by TYPE-56 on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
πŸ“ Reply