Quantcast
what's your favorite DAW for electronic music? (2013 edition) - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what's your favorite DAW for electronic music? (2013 edition)
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years

That's where it's at.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ableton Live 8 - because it works, it's fun, and it's as close as a computer gets in being able to 'jam'

Adobe Audition - I need somewhere to put my Ableton files when they're complete plus I've been using this since the days of Syntrillium and IMO a better audio editor you will not find

Before Live (10 years at least) I used to use Fruity Loops (then FL studio - yes, so much more respectable) but it kept getting bigger, uglier, less fun, and what was essentially a step-sequencer/drum machine had a rather ungainly growth spurt and wanted to compete with the big boys. I discovered Ableton and have never looked back
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➑️
Well, good point, and kudos to them for having done that. But would still be useful to have something small and stand-alone from the main screen.
Use V-Control Pro if you want to control your DAW remotely. With the V Window you can access anything you want. If you don't want to spend the money on that you can get AC-7 Pro which doesn't allow you to control everything on the screen like V-Control Pro but allows you to work the transport controls for and see the meter levels.
Old 24th January 2013
I'm another Ableton user. I have Live 8 Suite w/ MAX for Live and (aside from some issues with my ProjectMix I/O) I'm enjoying the 9 Beta and looking forward to Push.

next month I'm picking up a 15" MacBook Pro for Live 9 and probably pairing it with Propellerhead's Balance. This will let me upgrade from my old Reason 4 to 6.5 which I'll run on my current iMac/ProjectMix setup as an alternate environment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
I'm actually thinking of holding off on deciding wether I switch to Cubase 7 or not when this is announced

maybe Logic 10 will bring some new things to the table but I'm not holding my breath for that
imho. having both Cubase 7 and Bitwig Studio (when it is finally available), will be a great combination.

I'm not a Logic Pro fan, used it for three years, then trashed LP9, and moved on to Cubase on PC. (Ditched both LP9 and Mac for Music Production), and I feel it was one of the best decisions I made. I still use my Mac Pro 8 core (2006 model) for graphic design, web browsing, iTunes, ..etc. But NOT for running it as a music production DAW.

Apple is the last company I will buy a pro-DAW from. They are an iPhone/iGadget company as far as I'm concerned. Look elsewhere for Professional DAWs and Audio Production Products.

I will still be interested in the new MAC PRO if they ever release it this year !

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Haarp ➑️

That's where it's at.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
FL studio, ofcourse because of the step seq and piano roll but mainly because of the workflow of manipulating samples in it, nothing imo compares to the 'sampler' in FL.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im still at cubase sx3 lmao
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used to use FL Studio; with the pattern editor/sequencer, it was pretty easy to come up with beats very quickly. But it sucked at handling audio and I found its interface too clunky.

Went over to Reaper which is far better at audio, but OTOH doesn't have a step sequencer; but now I use Geist for that, so that's worked out.

Also tried Live, but never really got into it. I suppose one day I'll give it another shot. Cubase, too, I'd love to try, but the dongle... oh, the dongle.

So anyway, my answer is Scream Tracker 3.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones ➑️
Very cool. You have also had cool as hell control surfaces for ages too.

I have had people tell me for ages that I should try Live, but the older I get, the more I like to simply go to the DAWs that I know how to work. Still though, I am a sucker for blinky objects and Push looks to me, as a non Live user, simply amazing.
Why I use live and probably not switching. Just can get it to what I want so easily now with help from 3rd party stuff that I don't feel like jumping ship anytime soon. And I don't even use session view O.O
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
inbetween

currently getting reaper setup for outboard use--not sure if i'll stay

if live had sysex i would still be there

come on ableton! at least let me type it in or some ****. killing me!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Has anyone tried reason on a touchscreen? I know you'd have to have a keyboard to flip the rack, but I was wondering if it is any good on one.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic Pro 9 for me. Hopefully Logic X will come out this year.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Protools 10, Studio One 2.5, Logic 9, Ableton Live.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
FL Studio - Dabbled a bit with Studio One and Ableton but I always come back to good ol FL. Patcher is a really cool new tool that gives Ableton Racks a run for its money.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➑️
Sunvox (tracker) & Reaper (daw)
I'm loving Sunvox. Game changer. It is so powerful, seems like I can get any sound I want out of it. A very inspiring piece of software, and I can load projects on my iphone or ipad so Im always able to compose.

Also loving StudioOne for mixing and tracking.
Lives for gear

90 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Reason is evolving very well (for music creation)...the Rack Extensions have added great 3rd party FX, utilities & instruments.

I've been using Reason for around 10 years and each release always encourages music-making; for me the downside is multimedia workflow. Still needs a few more basic features before it could be described as fully-competent e.g. video support, BWAV, groups, etc.

I've used (and liked) Mackie Tracktion, also Cubase and I currently use LiveLite to run VST's...also testing Reaper which is a great DAW.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still Live 8, though I do enjoy using Studio One and prefer it sometimes (especially when I'm recording real instruments). But Operator, oh Operator, how I love thee.

Numerology is pretty awesome if you want to work with step sequencers instead of a piano roll, though.

I'd really like to use Renoise more, since I did pay for it and am good with Buzz (my first tracker love).

Ohm Studio has promise, but it's like the Facebook of DAWs right now. A lot of people with no clue at all what they're doing, but hey, they're trying.

I realize I pretty much just rambled on about a whole lot of nothing without saying much of anything.

So. I'm most productive in Ableton Live. There, I did it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Logic 9 for most of my electronic music making.

Also been mixing on Nuendo 4 lately and absolute LOVE IT.
I only wish Logic had region volume handles like N4, that feature is mindblowingly useful for me.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
PT for many years, switched to logic 2 years ago and am good here.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have to say - its weird for me to get over because I grew up a Logic user - and Logic always seemed like the nemesis of Cubase - but Cubase 7 seems really appealing at the moment. Im impressed by the vari-audio and chord tracks...the mixer looks a bit kitch but they may sort that out - functionality wise it seems decent.
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Native Instruments Maschine for sequencing, bounce to Pro Tools for mixing.
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
still on logic 9...waiting desperately for version 10

cheers
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippy ➑️
still on logic 9...waiting desperately for version 10

cheers
me too

hopefully it wont be as much of a disappointment as Live 9
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
me too

hopefully it wont be as much of a disappointment as Live 9
Oh please. Live 9 is not a dissapointment because its still in beta. Maybe you should stop being such a surly curmudgeon. Its like hearing the wailing of a grumpy babushka.
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
FL Studio 10 at the moment. Tried numerous DAWs and still use Live 8 for a live act setup but I love FL's piano roll and sampler... it's just too good. I also love the playlist and blocks.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mainly using logic, still. I sequence otb so my requirements might be less than others round here. Live8 was acting up on my new 13 MBP that arrived in nov. might give it a shot again soon. Don't really care about upgrading at all. Likely because I sequence otb. Daw basically acts as a tape deck/effects unit. I would like to sort out some nice efx plugs. Maybe sound toys. I dunno.

Also the other day somebody posted about Numerology they made it sound interesting enough that I will check out the demo sometime in the near future.
πŸ“ Reply