Quantcast
what's your favorite DAW for electronic music? (2013 edition) - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what's your favorite DAW for electronic music? (2013 edition)
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon ➑️
I really want to have a DAW and my VSTs hosted in the cloud where I can access them anytime through wifi on an ipad or netbook and a osc-friendly midi controller.

Lately I have been experimenting with a Reaktor-centric workflow where it acts as a DAW; I am pretty invested in using the pre-built instruments/grooveboxes/sequencers/manglers/fx plus the NI Reaktor-based synths sold separately are priced at a fairly low pain point to satisfy the desire for something new or to see how new modules work. However, Reaktor does not host VSTs and they dropped support for KORE. If I could just use Omnisphere inside of Reaktor I would be done and just make a little four track recorder inside of it. So. . .I've begun to look strongly into the alterna-DAWs like Bidule, Audiomulch and Usine. Ironically, the search for a perfect workflow is actually more draining than the imperfect workflow I have now.

In the meantime I use FL Studio standalone and as a VST/Rewire in Live. I get the most done with FL by far-- patterns, integrated step-sequencer, easy-to-read piano roll, can do on-the-go with the most functional QWERTY keyboard. All GUI stuff.

I have an APC 40 which is nice in theory (NIT) but actually playing parts live, looping them, mixing them in and out and scrolling over to fit in more tracks isn't easy -- it would require another monitor or two. I am leery of any hardware/DAW combo they try to sell. I'm sure it is fine as a clip launcher, but since I don't launch clips/DJ I feel unsatisfied. Similarly, I don't use my Novation Automap -- the mouse is just much much quicker.
Why don't you use Max ? It seems to be perfect for what you want to do. And your experience with Reaktor should make the learning curve smooth.
I've roughly made the same path myself and couldn't be happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister ➑️
Other than "native" 64 bit in Live 9, it really has nothing new over 8 for me
Live 8.4 is 64-bit, they're still beta testing it though... which makes me wonder how the hell Live 9 is schedules for release next month when the employees are saying things like

Quote:
I definitely see the importance of CPU load / performance issues in conjunction with plug-ins and/or in comparison to other audio software, but - as stated above several times, too - it's much harder to compare such results. At this point of the Beta testing, we can't concentrate on this.
Get Satisfaction - People Powered Customer Service

and that was 5 days ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
could we make this post a poll? Im curious what the stats are...
interesting idea, would be a long poll unless I just name the DAWs and not the version number though

I'll see what I can put together
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I use Sonar 8.5 Producer, despite receiving thirty billion (and I mean that almost literary) spam mail from Cakewalk the past six months about upgrading to X2.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
interesting idea, would be a long poll unless I just name the DAWs and not the version number though

I'll see what I can put together
I guess you could do

Live 8
Live 9/beta
Logic 9
Cubase 5-6
Cubase 7
Sonar X1/2
Reaper
Reason
Other

if you cant edit the thread you could prob start a new one with a poll - then get a mod to merge them...
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I do all my basic tracks in Maschine and add the audio tracks (and some midi tracks) in Reaper.

But I've yet to finish a song since I switched from hardware to a DAW last year, except for the stuff I did in my keyboard workstation to get it done quickly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
I guess you could do

Live 8
Live 9/beta
Logic 9
Cubase 5-6
Cubase 7
Sonar X1/2
Reaper
Reason
Other

if you cant edit the thread you could prob start a new one with a poll - then get a mod to merge them...
looks like a new thread would have to be made

anyone interested in number should check this out, it's based on votes

The 15 best DAW software apps in the world today | MusicRadar

no renoise though.. even garageband made it in there

no talk of Cubase 7 or Live 9 either since they weren't out then (Live 9 isn't out yet still but you know what I mean)
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Have you guys seen the new Cubase controller released at NAMM 2013?

SICK

Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Reaper, especially if you love routing&sends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️

SICK

damn, if this works with iPad 1 then I have even more reasons to want to switch to Cubase
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cubase 6.5, Nuendo 5.5, Reason 6.5
Nev
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ableton Live 8.

My first DAW was Cubase VST on an old Power Mac 7600. After hitting the wall with Ableton Live 8, and reaching frustration, I am ready to switch back to Cubase. I did grow to love Ableton Live, but I just hate having to fiddle with Max just to get the type of control I need for external midi gear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
looks like a new thread would have to be made

anyone interested in number should check this out, it's based on votes

The 15 best DAW software apps in the world today | MusicRadar

no renoise though.. even garageband made it in there

no talk of Cubase 7 or Live 9 either since they weren't out then (Live 9 isn't out yet still but you know what I mean)
THE FOOLS!

Really don't know how garageband could be in the top 15
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

SICK

Yeah, that's sexy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
Studio one. The future is bright for this one.
Same here; I have Cubase 6.5 as well, but am less inclined to use it the more they improve S1. But I am glad I have it for my #2 DAW just the same.

A MonoMachine is my "I don't feel like looking at a PC screen" sequencer / arranger alternative. Not a DAW, but it gets me writing music just the same.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

SICK

This is pretty awesome stuff. I use the Presonus ipad mixer app with my 1818vsl and I love it; I saw this from Steiny and it temps me to upgrade from 6.5 to 7 and try it out.

As Presonus has a history of making mixing apps for their hardware, I hope they port that over to S1. Regardless, I think we will see more and more of this with every DAW as time goes by.
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted 60622ed
Dunno, us live users have had that kinda control on the ipad for ages

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
Very cool. You have also had cool as hell control surfaces for ages too.

I have had people tell me for ages that I should try Live, but the older I get, the more I like to simply go to the DAWs that I know how to work. Still though, I am a sucker for blinky objects and Push looks to me, as a non Live user, simply amazing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️

True. That's the only thing I was sad to leave when leaving Live.

But no timeline control like this, though.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip ➑️
True. That's the only thing I was sad to leave when leaving Live.

But no timeline control like this, though.
Yeah tht looks very neat...in v control its gui changes to cubase too...but its only the faders, though you can open a v window and control the timeline

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bitwig Studio (When they finally release it)

Bitwig | Bitwig Studio
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones ➑️
Very cool. You have also had cool as hell control surfaces for ages too.

I have had people tell me for ages that I should try Live, but the older I get, the more I like to simply go to the DAWs that I know how to work. Still though, I am a sucker for blinky objects and Push looks to me, as a non Live user, simply amazing.
Yup...Lives never felt the complete package to me...but the gadgets and its ease of use are great for arranging
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase for my Atari ST.

alexP
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Cubase for my Atari ST.

alexP
Pro-24 was better.

Pro Tools , might change if i get my hands on Ableton Push though. Used Ableton for years but it bring too many (possibly) damaging shortcuts into the workflow, that save time but deteriorate the finished product, imo. If you know about them, they're easy to avoid, but then you loose a bit of that speedy flow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
Bitwig Studio (When they finally release it)

Bitwig | Bitwig Studio
I'm actually thinking of holding off on deciding wether I switch to Cubase 7 or not when this is announced

maybe Logic 10 will bring some new things to the table but I'm not holding my breath for that
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really like the idea of those Cubase/Live control apps for the iPad. Now if only Cakewalk would make something similar, for Android.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Haarp ➑️
Pro-24 was better.
I made a TON of music with that! Never been more productive! Love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➑️
I really like the idea of those Cubase/Live control apps for the iPad. Now if only Cakewalk would make something similar, for Android.
doesn't seem like you'd need one with X2, what you need is a touchscreen monitor!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock ➑️

I've yet to finish a song since I switched from hardware to a DAW last year, except for the stuff I did in my keyboard workstation to get it done quickly...
That scenario seems eerily familiar.
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
doesn't seem like you'd need one with X2, what you need is a touchscreen monitor!
Well, good point, and kudos to them for having done that. But would still be useful to have something small and stand-alone from the main screen.
πŸ“ Reply