Quantcast
what's your favorite DAW for electronic music? (2013 edition) - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what's your favorite DAW for electronic music? (2013 edition)
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Live 9

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
lots of new things have happened since my last thread about this

so what are you using now a days? sticking with Live 8 even though Live 9 blows? Cubase 7's new mixer looking sexy? touch screen optimized Sonar X2 catching your eye? Reason 6.5 racks changing the game for you? waiting for FL Studio 11, Logic 10, Pro Tools 11, etc.?
I stick with what I know in and out *ahem* Ableton.

But If you're going to switch your DAW Cubase 7 is looking solid, I'm seeing a lot of producer go that route. (Dodge & Fuski and FuntCase)
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I use live 8, logic 9 and Pro Tools.
But I use live less and less nowadays
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
lots of new things have happened since my last thread about this

so what are you using now a days? sticking with Live 8 even though Live 9 blows? Cubase 7's new mixer looking sexy? touch screen optimized Sonar X2 catching your eye? Reason 6.5 racks changing the game for you? waiting for FL Studio 11, Logic 10, Pro Tools 11, etc.?
I agree. While some of the improvements are a definite plus, Live 9 still leaves me wanting basic **** that other DAWs/plugs offer. I wish they would have focused less on the "fluff" and more on the bread this time...
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
could we make this post a poll? Im curious what the stats are...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➑️
Back to Logic after taking way too long (5 years) to finally accept that Live is just not for me. I won't be changing again. I'll still use Live for certain things.
Switched to Logic after taking way too long (3 years) to finally accept that Live and ProTools (12 years but that's an old story, now) is just not for me. I won't be changing again. I hope I'll never have to use it again... I'll use Max for certain things.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
using Cubase 4 here, haven't made the upgrade yet, but will someday, cubase has been my sequencer/recorder since 1997
Old 23rd January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
logic still... because it's a pain to "jump" and because it still works for me.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic because....well, its what I started on, I haven't been producing long, I don't have the money to switch, and the best reason.....LOGIC IS AMAZING.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Talk ➑️
Is that the "new" blocks in the environment or de you mean the "legacy blocks"? The old way that you still can use if it's checked on?

For me it's FL studio too... for some reason it's the only DAW that makes me arrange songs and not get too much stuck in loops. I think it's because it's so fast to edit the sequencer
Yea, it's the legacy blocks. They just work, because they are so simple and fast.
I think the developer doesn't want to have the screen split anymore, - but an added benefit of the split-screen is the excellent overview it gives, namely a clear seperation between midi and audio.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Digital Performer, with Ableton Live Studio as my "shake things up for creativity" second. That used to be Reason, but the whole RE thing soured me on it. I'm waiting to see what 7 looks like (and how long it takes to show up) to decide if its going to keep a place in my studio.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
KCS -> midiox -> Reaper
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR ➑️
Still Cubase 5 here. No need to upgrade. I'd rather put the extra $$$ to sound sources or new monitors.
And another one here...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic is my prime.
Sometimes I use Live 8, but I really don't like the interface, too cramped.
I used to use Reason, but I cannot stand the layout anymore. What a mess. I am considering deleting it and installing a older version.

That said.... Yesterday I had a detailed demo of Cubase 7 by a Steinberg rep for work. It looks fantastic. So many top notch features they have been adding. I am very impressed.

If Apple does not update Logic soon I might move to another DAW. If not for better features, maybe to expand my knowledge. The VI's and FX really need an update. It would also be great to get some new ones.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've tried a few but have gone full circle back to FLStudio. I use it to control all my hardware via custom dashboards, the odd VST, and as an audio recorder on steroids.

- I can see over 50 mixer tracks at once. Try that in Reaper.
- Each MIDI output is assigned a virtual port, so still have access to all 16 MIDI channels per port.
- Edison! Sync to song position and record. Edison keeps track of all loop markers, so just keep playing until you make the perfect take. Audition, process and drag to playlist.. Effortless and fast song building.
- Peak controller...

The in-built FX are mostly bad, but I use third-party.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cubase 6.5 (my love) and Pro Tools 9 for some things...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
Yea, it's the legacy blocks. They just work, because they are so simple and fast.
I think the developer doesn't want to have the screen split anymore, - but an added benefit of the split-screen is the excellent overview it gives, namely a clear seperation between midi and audio.
Ok, I read it too and forced myself to work the new way.
All I can say is that you will get used to it. In the beginning the workflow felt different, but once I got used to it, it works just like the legacy mode. And it has some benefits and shortcuts that now I could not live without.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Logic 9 for life. Or at least until X comes around.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase 6.5, holding off upgrading to Cubase 7 until I finish a couple of projects.

I want to love Live, but I just can't get used to the workflow.
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted 60622ed
The best thing about live for me is using it with touchable on the ipad when ive only got my macbook pro...nothing else gives me that kind of control and takes away the computer, i could mostly work with the lid down

I have logic and PT, just never had the time to learn them...Studio One mixing view and mastering page are way above anything else ive tried
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by :Metaphor: ➑️
Renoise

I've (finally) committed to learning it thoroughly this year and making it my primary DAW. It's the only software I have a passion for, and I find it to be the most elegant tool for Electronic Music creation that I've ever used.
When i played with the demo a bit more in depth, ive really liked the workflow
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think that if bitwig isnt the end all be all the world will explode.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabianzo ➑️
I think that if bitwig isnt the end all be all the world will explode.
Im hoping it comes on good, that Bitwig. Interestd in it and what it will be able to do...shows much promise, and the features are great

Wondering how it will deal with MIDI, and very curious about the Native Modular System it has built in
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ableton Suite 8.2 user, it's intuitive for me. Some simple things have a tough work around, but I like the workflow for more detailed work. I like that everything is in one window with hardly any sub-menus. I don't like messing with something that works for me until I see an urgent need to upgrade. I'm waiting for the final version of 9 to see what's up.

I still use PT LE 8.3 to record vocals on a Digi-002, IMO nothing beats PT for recording audio from a good mic and pre. Looking forward to upgrading to a newer version of PT soon.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➑️
I don't like messing with something that works for me until I see an urgent need to upgrade. I'm waiting for the final version of 9 to see what's up.
They're banking (25%) on it! Just saying...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
using logic and waiting for version 10, if it don't come out i might go back to cubase or live with the latest versions, love logic but a few things are annoying and need to be updated
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Live 8 for now. Other than "native" 64 bit in Live 9, it really has nothing new over 8 for me, so I will hold off and wait for it to be on the market a while and the bugs are ironed out. Or, hopefully long before then Bitwig will go gold and will be a worthwhile transition.

I like the compact format of Live (and soon to be Bitwig). I used to use Mackie Tracktion, which was unfortunately ignored by people and left to die. That had a really nice, fast, compact format, too. Prior to that, and this is many moons ago now so I forget which version I was on, I used Cubase. I always found that an exercise in frustration.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Im on Live 8 but tired of it and looking to be picked up by anyone who can give me a better offer...

Cubase 7 looking good....apparently demo coming out soon...

Bitwig definitely interesting

Maybe Logic 10 if they step up...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really want to have a DAW and my VSTs hosted in the cloud where I can access them anytime through wifi on an ipad or netbook and a osc-friendly midi controller.

Lately I have been experimenting with a Reaktor-centric workflow where it acts as a DAW; I am pretty invested in using the pre-built instruments/grooveboxes/sequencers/manglers/fx plus the NI Reaktor-based synths sold separately are priced at a fairly low pain point to satisfy the desire for something new or to see how new modules work. However, Reaktor does not host VSTs and they dropped support for KORE. If I could just use Omnisphere inside of Reaktor I would be done and just make a little four track recorder inside of it. So. . .I've begun to look strongly into the alterna-DAWs like Bidule, Audiomulch and Usine. Ironically, the search for a perfect workflow is actually more draining than the imperfect workflow I have now.

In the meantime I use FL Studio standalone and as a VST/Rewire in Live. I get the most done with FL by far-- patterns, integrated step-sequencer, easy-to-read piano roll, can do on-the-go with the most functional QWERTY keyboard. All GUI stuff.

I have an APC 40 which is nice in theory (NIT) but actually playing parts live, looping them, mixing them in and out and scrolling over to fit in more tracks isn't easy -- it would require another monitor or two. I am leery of any hardware/DAW combo they try to sell. I'm sure it is fine as a clip launcher, but since I don't launch clips/DJ I feel unsatisfied. Similarly, I don't use my Novation Automap -- the mouse is just much much quicker.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Live, because it is fun, 3 features stand out:

Session view
Instrument/drum racks
Self contanined enviroment driven by the best GUI in the market.
πŸ“ Reply