Quantcast
Y does reason sound better than PT? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Y does reason sound better than PT?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Y does reason sound better than PT?

I love PT a lot, much more than reason, and i use it much more. but can someone tell me why my mixes that I do in Reason vs. the ones I do in Pro Tools are so much better?

My hunch is that PT, being a much more complex platform and all, just takes longer to learn on before you really get it and can use it to its full capability. Any truth to that? Does Reason just somehow trick you into thinking you've done the best mixing job ever?

It's wierd, on one hand I like how my stuff in Reason sounds, on the other hand it does seem a little thin at times. Maybe it is just a matter of loudness, because Reason seems to always bounce more loudly even though i dont put a limiter on it.

I'll stop rambling now just wanted to start a conversation....
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This will be interesting.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Try re-wiring all your reason instruments into Pro Tools and mixing through PT.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean ➑️
Try re-wiring all your reason instruments into Pro Tools and mixing through PT.
That's what used to do. Then I merged the best of both worlds and bought Logic.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
That's what used to do. Then I merged the best of both worlds and bought Logic.
I'm 100% logic as well, but it might dissuade the OP from thinking that one daw sounds better than another.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
First of all, Reason has it's own DAW and mixer now which requires no rewire. Reason is just easier to use internally. But PT still sounds very pro when used in a live recording session. Reason's synths, samplers, drum machines, and effects are quite good, giving one that feel of instant goodness. Some people still think that Reason sounds stale and dated, but it is getting much, much better all the time. PT is still more pro and therefor much deeper and harder to master.

If I didn't use Ableton, Reason would be the next practical choice for me. PT simply scares me.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean ➑️
I'm 100% logic as well, but it might dissuade the OP from thinking that one daw sounds better than another.
Not my intention. To clarify I am not referring to sound or quality of the application whatsoever. I'm talking about the audio editing capabilities and selection of virtual instruments. Reason has excellent virtual instruments but is not the most proficient in ability to record/edit audio. Pro Tools, is getting better but, has the opposite issue. It is excellent as a recording/editing suite but has limited selection of virtual instruments and midi capabilities.

Those factors, along with neither Reason nor Pro Tools being the most friendly with a variety of plug-ins drove me to Logic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not my intention. To clarify I am not referring to sound or quality of the application whatsoever. I'm talking about the audio editing capabilities and selection of virtual instruments. Reason has excellent virtual instruments but is not the most proficient in ability to record/edit audio. Pro Tools, is getting better but, has the opposite issue. It is excellent as a recording/editing suite but has limited selection of virtual instruments and midi capabilities.

Those factors, along with neither Reason nor Pro Tools being the most friendly with a variety of plug-ins drove me to Logic.
I think it goes without saying that any individual will get a better "sound" out of one DAW or another, simply because they find it better to work with. This is a good thing - we all have different styles and different approaches.

Some people might play guitar and piano, but make better songs on the guitar. No difference here. It's simply a matter of horses for courses.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Just remember Reason and Balance with the new control surface looks like very powerful DAW and VSTi combo.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLAND RAZZ ➑️
Just remember Reason and Balance with the new control surface looks like very powerful DAW and VSTi combo.
Very true. I think most of the DAW options are on equal footing with some having slight preference towards certain types of music and it really depends on the type of workflow you want.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's funny because I use Reason to record all my hardware instruments. I have Logic 9, but by Reason 6.5 having that feature to where I can just record my instruments, it's such a breeze. It's like I'm recording a live band at different takes. It's faster and it seems like more fun than Logic. I like how I can change the tempo or transpose if I wanted to with no problem, and it doesn't have to be midi notes.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
why does reason sound better then fl studio?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillystylez ➑️
I have never used FL so cannot to speak to that.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillystylez ➑️
Reason sounds infinitely better that FL Studio, if all you do is use the default presets and samples.

FL's included plugins just sound like plastic to me.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
nice to read all those different takes on it. seems like the general feeling tho is that it's not so much the DAW as it is the person and how it works for them, what kind of music they're doing etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots ➑️
nice to read all those different takes on it. seems like the general feeling tho is that it's not so much the DAW as it is the person and how it works for them, what kind of music they're doing etc.
One day in the not so distant future the daw will make the music for you but until then its about the person using it.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reason is not like you're typical DAW which has neutral sound. It has a modeled SSL mixer, which will give you better sound. To get the same thing in another DAW use console modeled plugins.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find its the other way round. I love starting things in reason. It has my favourite samplers and I find I can get things going quickly. But when it comes to mixing I just can't work with it. I'd much rather finish the project in Pro Tools. I just find it easier to get the sound I want and it's easier to do audio edits.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Better is subjective. Please post A/B versions and we'll decide which is better
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR ➑️
Better is subjective. Please post A/B versions and we'll decide which is better
Turns out he's talking about ease of use, not comparable sound quality.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm sort of amazed that someone votes this down. If you think someone's trolling, report them, don't use the vote buttons. Even then, the topicstarter is talking about their mixes, not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots ➑️
I love PT a lot, much more than reason, and i use it much more. but can someone tell me why my mixes that I do in Reason vs. the ones I do in Pro Tools are so much better?
Is that with the Mastering combinator included?

Quote:
My hunch is that PT, being a much more complex platform and all, just takes longer to learn on before you really get it and can use it to its full capability. Any truth to that?
There's a difference between how both are operated, that may color your experiences a bit.

I don't think it's so much a matter of learning; after all, in the first place, a DAW is just a plain old mixer. It still boils down to getting your volume levels and signal chain right. Plugins differ between both but that's with every DAW.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds ➑️
I find its the other way round. I love starting things in reason. It has my favourite samplers and I find I can get things going quickly. But when it comes to mixing I just can't work with it. I'd much rather finish the project in Pro Tools. I just find it easier to get the sound I want and it's easier to do audio edits.
It's how I work too. Reason 6.5 much more stable on my computer with a lot of synths running. Plus Reason's midi beats PT by miles and miles. The added benefit of control voltage controling many parameters and the dozen or so REs that I have make this a much better package for me to compose instrument tracks and arrange my song.
I always cut vocals in PT. I have tuning software, elastic audio, and other tools in PT which Reason can't touch.

I mix in PT but I've got a few Uhe units, reverb, delay and chorus that I use within Reason. I usually bounce stems of some instruments Kick, snare, bass, and run the others using rewire to take advantage of the effects and once i'm sure the Reason outboard effects fit well in the mix, I bounce those into PT as well.
The SSL is very handy too but it's not modeled after a 4000g, it just looks like one and operates the same even down to the bell button on the eq.

I expected to be mixing in Reason by now but I would lose my PT plugins, especially the UAD stuff so...there's that.

if you haven't checked out Reason in a few years, do so now, it's grown by leaps and bounds with the addition of pattern sequencing (Blocks) and REs Rack extensions from 3rd party companies like Roland, Softtube, and many many others. It could still use some more maturing like audio editing and midi out but it's my favorite workstation right now.
Check this list of REs out.
http://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/
πŸ“ Reply