Quantcast
Korg Electribe or Mpc for writing techno grooves? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Electribe or Mpc for writing techno grooves?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Korg Electribe or Mpc for writing techno grooves?

So im a little torn here, which drum sampler would you recommend for writing techno. Im planning to begin sampling my drum machine wavs from my computer into some kind of drum sampler but am not sure if the xox or the mpc style programming would fit the mold better.

Im currently using the ableton drum rack and imo its absolutely terrible for generating grooves hence the switch to hardware.

Ideally at the least im looking for a unit that would retain strong sounding drums and be intuitive enough to lay techno grooves quickly.

Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Try using a controller from Akai works great with Ableton, Novation is decent as well.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Oh and a new Akai controller is coming for NAMM and I'm sure Novation will have something as well. The response of the controllers are still the best for Ableton. If you go another direction, Spark looks very cool. Hybrids are still very powerful. I do have some hardware only ideas but let's see how this sits first.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The mpc is going to ultimately be more versatile.

But the electribes are still a lot of fun and better as a step sequencer. IMO easier to get a vibe going with some trance inducing bass. Ymmv of course.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MPC
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wait for Ableton's Push.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Get an MPC1000 and install JJOS on it. It's got a x0x sequencer on it now, so it's the best of both worlds.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinsoul ➑️
Im currently using the ableton drum rack and imo its absolutely terrible for generating grooves hence the switch to hardware.
I would start here. Why do you think this is the case?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I feel lost without my korg electribe. I had the EMX for years but I'm considering getting the ESX.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you're doing it wrong.

why do you think that either the Electribe or MPC will help you to generate grooves more easily? i'd say Ableton's drum racks are just as quick and simple for both step and real-time entry as any hardware sequencer. also, if you're already using a DAW, then something like Maschine might be worth looking into.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm an Ableton nut, been using it for 7 years now and run training courses in it. Having said that, I still find it easier to get a groove going on the MPC1000. I would mix and master in Ableton, but the step sequencers and workflow of creating grooves in Ableton have never seemed as quick or intuitive as the MPC. Just my opinion.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➑️
you're doing it wrong.

why do you think that either the Electribe or MPC will help you to generate grooves more easily? i'd say Ableton's drum racks are just as quick and simple for both step and real-time entry as any hardware sequencer. also, if you're already using a DAW, then something like Maschine might be worth looking into.
different strokes. I personally feel the ableton drum rack grid still lacks the groove and feel of the older drum machines. Even with the groovepool swings, its hard to get an authentic drum machine groove down or mimic the timing of the choke/hold features of something like the older drum machines. It still sounds so rigid and robotic.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
different strokes. I personally feel the ableton drum rack grid still lacks the groove and feel of the older drum machines.
Then why get a modern piece of hardware?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Two different machines with also different budgets... There are several MPC models, they are powerful sampler-sequencers, able to be even a stand alone instrument.

the best of the Electribes is ESX-1. A lot cheaper than MPCs. ItΒ΄s a short memory sampler (289 mono secs) with a very intuitive and hands-on sequencing concept.
But to get the best of it, a good experience dealing with short-length sample databases is a plus..
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balma ➑️
the best of the Electribes is ESX-1. A lot cheaper than MPCs.
Is it really that much cheaper than an MPC1000?

You can get an MPC1000 for like $400 used.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
MPCs have the been the quickest way for me to make grooves - and I'm not tied to the computer screen so it lets me us my imagination for inspiration. Can lead to creative sampling and running the MPC through pedals make things even more hands on.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I tried both a while ago when I was trying to put some backing tracks together for a live project...

The electribe's simplicity is great, and it's really easy to dive into and have fun with, but I found track count and other limitations too frustrating.

I then bought an MPC500 and tried again, and that was a lot more powerful but had loads of menu diving and weird workflow quirks, due to the tiny screen they put on it.

The bigger screen of the MPC1000 from what I hear makes it a lot more usable, so I'd go for that too!

And it really is a different experience making tracks on those things... Something about the timing especially on the MPC is super tight and funky
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have also thought the Electribes were extremely cool.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i've used both machines side by side in live situations in nightclubs. the esx-1 is super fun and easy to write on, but the mpc has a noticeable better quality sound output, cleaner and louder. if you do get the esx-1, i highly recommend switching out the stock tubes for ECC83S JJ or others. and get the JJOS.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay ➑️
if you do get the esx-1, i highly recommend switching out the stock tubes for ECC83S JJ or others.
I was under the impression that since the tube section was starved-plate, tube replacement didn't make a difference?

Sent from my LGL45C
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➑️
I was under the impression that since the tube section was starved-plate, tube replacement didn't make a difference?

Sent from my LGL45C
I'd like to know more about this since I've just bought an Elektribe ESX-1.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get an iPad download the app versions of both and be happy you live in the future.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Both.

They do different things. The MPC has very little real time control and you cannot really improvise with it. I use an EMX and an MPC and I find that I do the drums on the EMX and use the MPC for sequencing and arrangements.

The 2012 tours were based around the MPC, but I think I am going to retire it for live use because it is kind of boring in a live situation. You can trigger patterns, but you can't rewrite sequences or alter the sounds(outside of the q-link) very much. I was using the MPC in conjuction with a 707 and a 101, and I found that I was having a lot more fun with the 707 and 101, and the MPC just kind of got ignored while it chugged away in the background.

I think the 2013 tours are going to be based around an EMX and an Elektron A4. That seems like a solid airline portable set up with a good mix of pre-programmed sounds and patterns that can be altered on the fly. If you are going to use an MPC for live use, you might as well use Ableton because the MPC's mute mode is even less flexible than clip mode.
πŸ“ Reply