Quantcast
How to make this high pitch sound and some jungle vibes? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to make this high pitch sound and some jungle vibes?
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How to make this high pitch sound and some jungle vibes?

I've been trying to remake this sound for almost a year now, and I am getting pretty fed up working on it. I've been around the forums for a long time, but not ever found any guidelines for this.

#1: The high pitch sound that comes in on 0.24 in this:
Slick Shoota - Bruk - YouTube (Slick Shoota - Bruk)
How is it made? Is it a sample or a synth? How much do you want for remaking this?

#2: Jungle vibe-like sound that goes from the beginning -> 0.24... Anyone know what to sample or how to make synths like that?

Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Single oscillator, saw wave. Room reverb. Pitch envelope modulates oscillator pitch, pitch envelope is attack 40%, decay and sustain at max, release at zero. Adjust modulation amount to taste depending on synth or plugin used. No filters needed. This does not cost more than a minute to make in NI Massive or Sylenth1.

I have no idea what you mean with jungle vibe. Are you talking about the noise sweeps?

If it's the chords, that is most likely a sample - by sampling the entire chord you only have to play a single note. The origin could be a lot of things. What plugins or synths do you have at your disposal?

Percussion is plain TR 808, just in case.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yea thanks. I've tried that, but I can't seem to get the same feel, and the same opening of the sound.

The junlge synth thing in the beginning. Its got much of the same character as old jungle tunes Metalheads Terminator - YouTube

Does sound a bit like the top end has been cut off.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes - but what synths or plugins do you have? If I have the same I may give you better pointers. It makes no sense to show a patch for Massive if you don't have it, for instance.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Oh sorry, I have NI Massive (probably the one I am the most used to). I do have Sylenth1 too.
I am using Logic.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The chord in the opening is Bb minor - played as F - Ab- Bb - Db. This part is what's sampled - and with that sample, you can play something simple like C - D - Eb - C (an octave higher). That's the basic principle.

However, the sound itself is a bit more elusive. There's a clue in the last note - it almost seems as if a filter is opened up quite a bit. This tells us that the sampler used for sampling is likely employing keytracking on the filter.

What I did was put this Massive patch (though what you use doesn't really matter - a steak with enough ketchup will eventually taste like ketchup instead of steak, if you get the analogy) which has reverb applied to it through Ableton's own (100% wet) reverb. I held the minor 7th chord for a while and resampled that into an audio track.

Then I put a fragment of that audiotrack in Simpler, and applied filtering again, as well as a simple volume envelope with some release.

The result sounds like this, if I play the same notes as in your initial Youtube video the result sounds like in the attachment.

The original is more breathy - this could be due to the character of the filters in Massive, or the original could've used EQing to simulate something formant-like. Other VAs with different filter types may yield better results, but I believe the original source could be as simple as one or two saw waves through a lowpass with some resonance, and then after resampling, post-filtering in the sampler again. Of course, I may be even completely wrong and the source file may be sample-based to start with - some choir from a Roland or Korg rompler or something like that.

The attached .zip file contains all the files I've used in Ableton including the original wav file; it should be trivial to load that wave file in Logic's EXS24 and experiment with that to see if you can get similar results. See if you can duplicate the above process in Logic and where it gets you, experiment also with filtering the reverberated signal again.
Attached Files

JungleChordsFinal.mp3 (682.7 KB, 214 views)

File Type: zip junglechords.zip (1.24 MB, 16 views)
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow, this is truly more than I could ever dream of. Thanks so much for the help.

Yes, Slick Shoota said hes not much of a synth-guy, he samples almost everything. If I want to create music like this, should I be digging for samples instead?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
For this track, digging wouldn't help much; as I said, the pitched-up saw is not hard to synthesize and the percussion is straight 808. But for those particular chord sounds - if you want lots of those, yeah, then digging would do the job. The trick is to find tracks that have isolated bits of chord in 'm (or where isolation isn't hard and you can get rid of crud with an EQ).
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
For this track, digging wouldn't help much; as I said, the pitched-up saw is not hard to synthesize and the percussion is straight 808. But for those particular chord sounds - if you want lots of those, yeah, then digging would do the job. The trick is to find tracks that have isolated bits of chord in 'm (or where isolation isn't hard and you can get rid of crud with an EQ).
Ok. I've been working a lot trying to isolate particular sounds from a track with EQing mid/side and left/right, I think it works good if I find isolated bits.

I've allways heard people talking about layering, to make the sounds sound big on a system. What does this mean? I've tried dedicating specific areas in the EQ to the sounds, but it doesn't sound any bigger in my opinion.
Any thoughts?
πŸ“ Reply