Quantcast
Waldorf Microwave XT Multi-Mode - how to setup with Live? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Microwave XT Multi-Mode - how to setup with Live?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Waldorf Microwave XT Multi-Mode - how to setup with Live?

yo peeps! I just got the Waldorf Microwave XT, been scratching the surface of it since I got it a couple of days ago, and although I love some of the sounds it can churn out, I'd like to be able to use it as I use the MonoMachine (tweaking multiple tracks while sequence is running). First off, this is how my Microwave is hooked up;

- It receives midi notes from my midi keyboard (Novation SLMK II)
- Audio out goes to my Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer's Line-In
- ... and from the mixer to my soundcard and in as an audio signal to my computer

So, is there a way for me to do the following ...

- set up a multimode in Live, where a different MIDI-channel for each different instrument (as Waldorf calls it)
(then put in some midi notes in each pattern and ...)
- have these patterns loop as I tweak the Microwave
- be able to hear the audio from all channels simultaneously while only tweaking one of the MIDI-tracks

It seems like there should be a way of doing this with the multi-mode, right? But, and this is the big but, how do I get the midi-notes in Ableton Live to respond to the audio coming from the Microwave? Should I somehow connect the MIDI-out from the Microwave back into the MIDI-keyboard and somehow fetch that from Live, or is this completely wrong?

I'm a bit of a n00b to this stuff, so I can't quite get my head around how I should set this up to work. Did this make sense? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Your question doesn't make sense. MIDI notes don't respond to audio.

You set up a MIDI track in Live to send MIDI to the port and channel that the XT instrument is set up to respond to (you set a global channel, or channel per part in the multi), and the XT then generates audio. You can route that into a soundcard for recording in your computer, or an external mixer for direct monitoring.

The XT only has two stereo outputs for its 8 parts, so using the External Instrument plugin makes less sense than normally. If you want to record all parts at once, I'd setup two plain audio tracks in Live and record/monitor from the XTs outputs separately. If you use External Instrument and more than two parts, you'll end up with the same audio on different channels.

Running a loop with your notes on the MIDI channels and recording the audio as you tweak is then just a matter of pressing play, really.

(This answer is probably messy, very tired)
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 ➡️
Your question doesn't make sense. MIDI notes don't respond to audio.

You set up a MIDI track in Live to send MIDI to the port and channel that the XT instrument is set up to respond to (you set a global channel, or channel per part in the multi), and the XT then generates audio. You can route that into a soundcard for recording in your computer, or an external mixer for direct monitoring.

The XT only has two stereo outputs for its 8 parts, so using the External Instrument plugin makes less sense than normally. If you want to record all parts at once, I'd setup two plain audio tracks in Live and record/monitor from the XTs outputs separately. If you use External Instrument and more than two parts, you'll end up with the same audio on different channels.

Running a loop with your notes on the MIDI channels and recording the audio as you tweak is then just a matter of pressing play, really.

(This answer is probably messy, very tired)
Ah, that made sense, actually, so thanks heaps, I'll try it out!
📝 Reply