Quantcast
For approximately 3000$ which way would you go? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For approximately 3000$ which way would you go?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

So I am currently considering these four options for an addition and would like some input.

I'm all ITB using ableton, already have a great interface, mics, pres, monitors, treatment, controllers, few guitars, MPC

1. Doepfer DE2, oberheim sem, one or two moogerfoogers

-though I'm not blown away by the sound of either of these synths, I feel this combo would add a lot creativity to my set up along with some analog character

2. Micromac D

-I'm absolutely floored by this synth. Demos of this on YouTube or SC sound much better to me tthan analogs I've demoed in person.

3. Ztar with LED Clipper

-guitar is my strongest instrument and I hear the ztar is the best MIDI guitar available and looking at the demos I believe its way more capable than any MIDI guitar I've used. The led clipper allows for launching clips as well as color coding frets so I don't have to constantly reinforce scales. Blinky graphics for performance.

4. Nice analog compressor because I hear they'really...well... nice and stuff
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With recent developments and that kind of cash I would go with the Pittsburg Cell 90 Complete System. Looks super sharp.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I like option one since I believe that versatility is worth more than one magnificent item...especially since you have such great equipment to record and treat the stuff with.

really think you'd have the most fun with option 1, by a long shot.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
In terms of MIDI guitar, this software is just in BETA, but the reviews so far on its performance have been quite good. Might be worth a look:
MIDI Guitar - The Software Solution
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd go Micromac D. Will probably be produced in smallish numbers, is destined to become a classic, and if you're "floored" by the sound (as I am!), then there's your answer, it seems to me.

@Dubtek71: I agree that these new Pittsburgh offerings are mighty tempting, and offer tremendous flexibility and huge bang-for-the-buck. But from the online demos (I know, I know), I think the basic tone of the Micromac eats that of the Pittsburgh for lunch.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_The_Rodent ➑️
In terms of MIDI guitar, this software is just in BETA, but the reviews so far on its performance have been quite good. Might be worth a look:
MIDI Guitar - The Software Solution
Actually I've been demoing this. Its pretty awesome but has a hard time picking up some of the lower notes and if I play really fast somethings get a little mixed up. I really like it though.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
5. Wait until after NAMM
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would have to agree with you about the Micromac vs the Pittsburg. The Macbeth wins on tone hands down but the Pittsburg wins on modulation and flexibility of what can be done. Its 6 of 1 vs 1/2 a dozen of the other.
And it's just so damn shiny...

I am actually considering selling the SpaceEcho and 202 to fund a system.

Back on topic...if the only 4 choices are as above then I would go MacBeth. It's a keeper.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli ➑️
5. Wait until after NAMM
Good point. I wont finalize this decision before the week is over.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➑️
Australia I think. Or Bahamas.

Wat?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
errrrr....i just listened to micromac-d demos on youtube.

get that

definitely get that

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did the Ztar thing and I would recommend against it. I had mine for about 5 years and never found it useful for anything but speed soloing. Unless you play cheese rock that is pretty much useless... The velocity response just can't compare with a decent keyboard controller. Your note and chord choices become too similar between guitar and synth parts. The point at which your finger pressure will trigger the note made it near impossible to time notes when trying to play extremely nuanced and dynamic parts.

I recommend learning and labeling a keyboard controller (with chord root positions) for the key of C natural (white keys only) and then using the transpose function to play in the right key. It is cheap, extremely easy to learn, expressive and will broaden your song writing and creativity.

Don't get me wrong the Ztar is a high quality instrument, but it is not a great tool for writing and performing keyboard parts.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the input! The micromac D is quite awesome. Maybe the ztar isn't all its cracked up to be.

Currently leaning towards the micromac.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➑️

2. Micromac D

-I'm absolutely floored by this synth. Demos of this on YouTube or SC sound much better to me tthan analogs I've demoed in person.
This is YOUR answer. Why would you NOT buy something you are "absolutely floored" by, if you have the money and the opportunity?

Why go for a lesser option? Because it's "practical"? Sheeeeit.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Pittsburg wins hand down in price and all in ones for beginners. Roland's new keytars are my fav, just fun.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

for $3k I go all the way
Old 23rd January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur ➑️
This is YOUR answer. Why would you NOT buy something you are "absolutely floored" by, if you have the money and the opportunity?

Why go for a lesser option? Because it's "practical"? Sheeeeit.
Exactly my thought. You like that sound most, choose that option. Versatility can be had in other ways, and with incremental purchases.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You didn't tell us what kind of music you like / want to make....

...what kind of music do you want to make?
πŸ“ Reply