Quantcast
What to buy, Dominion x SED, Microzwerg or Telemark (for twice the price)? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to buy, Dominion x SED, Microzwerg or Telemark (for twice the price)?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Dominion x SED, Microzwerg or Telemark?

Hi all

I'm not sure which to go for. I dont have loads of cash BUT,

Most importantly, apart from the sound which I like creamy and squeltchy, I want a decent selection of cv inputs to hook it up to an Urzwerg Pro.
Just getting into cv stuff for the first time. Not sure if the lack of modular connections on the Dominion x sed will hinder its modulation possibilities too much, but it seems to have good cv inputs. It sounds good to me too.
The Microzwerg is cheaper and its semi modular nature is a plus and sounds pretty good too i think. I'm torn between the 2 at the moment.

Do you reckon the sound of the Dominions SED filter is worth the extra money and lack of modular?

or

The Telemark is expensive but sounds feckin' lovely
Would it be worth the extra cash for the creamy sound and modular vibes and possibly getting kicked out of my house due to not paying rent?

Like, do yiz think the sound and modulation capabilities are much better than the dominion and microzwerg?

Ive listened to every possible demo and sound file i can find but I'd love some other opinions.

hmm.
Any thoughts?

Thanks a mill,
Mick
Old 22nd January 2013
m.o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Depends, in my opinion the microzwerg is more of a crazy sound-box than a stright forward synth.
I find the CV routings to be a bit unconventional (I came from having a Dark energy before - have you considered one of those?).

Regarding the Telemark, now that you can buy an 'original' SEM (which the telemark is modelled on) for maybe just a little more I would consider that too (although I think the Telemark has a few more options).
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the reply m.o,
Yea I reckon the DE sounds pretty nice alright. I'd sort of discounted it cause of the single oscillator. I'd like a few more sonic possibilities. Separate cv control of oscillators for analog sequencing etc, but I'm new to the patching game so I don't rEally have a clue. I understand synthesis and all but am just learning about modular stuff :P

Wondering if it would be really worth it to stretch for a dominion sed or telemark or would I be satisfied with something smaller like a microzwerg or DE for mostly analog sequencing.

Nice one.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm starting to think the Dominion x sounds a little raspy in the top end. When filtered down I start to think it sounds great. The Telemark sounds smooth the whole way.
Would people tend to agree or not?

Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Dominion SED sounds the creamiest to me out of that list. Its filter that is. I dont think the Analogue solutions stuff sounds that creamy - its quite raw sounding.

I have a microzwerg and its pretty cool.

Now tho Id go for a dominion.

Also bear in mind if you like creamy - the Studio Electronics stuff. It really has that american creamy sound, and also the Phatty - which has CV IO. Note upcoming Boomstar.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Yea I like the sound of the SED low-pass filter. Not so sure about the multi-mode MFB filter though.

I'm interested to hear all the filters on the Boomstar. Not so keen on the Phatty's editor vibes personally, though it does sound very warm.
Old 22nd January 2013
m.o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Another distinction is of course the Telemark / SEM has only a 12dB/Oct filter (but a damn nice one), the Microzwerg 2 x 12 dB Multimode and the Dominion has several options.

... And to confuse you with even more options...
How about the new -
Korg Ms-20?
Pittsburgh Cell [48] System 1? ( Pittsburgh Modular - News )
Vermona mono Lancet + Euro breakout panel + small euro case/rack ( vermona, hdb, germany, drm1, drm 1 mark ii 2 )

Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Yea I really like the Telemark / SEM filter. The dual microwerg filters seem interesting for sure.
Never been a fan of the Korg sound me, dunno why, it just never appealed to me. I had considered a perfourmer cv but wish it had some more cv options like filter etc, and some modular patchability. It has a lovely sound though.

Reckon you'd miss the Microzwerg's semi modular nature if you swapped it for the dominion yourself?

Nice one
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Get a second had Kraftzwerg or wait for the next production (it's getting the new filter).

If you want to get into modular it's perfect - it is *fully* modular. You can patch everything.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'd originally tried to get a Kraftzwerg but they are seeming impossible to find second hand. Are they getting the SED filter?
Heard some great youtube clips of the Kraftzwerg and the Urzwerg Pro.

I'd like to check the new one out for reals whenst it appears.

Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If you decide to get the Telemark, feel free to PM me. I've got (I think) too much Analogue Solutions gear and am looking to maybe unload that one.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hmmm, im confused as ppl mention SED within context of lowpass only.... but if i recall the info Tripbeat brought to the GS about domx SED.,,, the SED filter isnt an addition to MFB multimode for LP mode , but a whole replacement that has multimode as well as different types of poles.... as a typcial OTA based SVF can do all that no problem. that is the most famous multimode circuit anyways (SEM is OTA SVF for example). i even recall the demos with various multimodes and switching of poles btwn 24, 12 and 6dB/Oct.

if SED was only for LP that be a shame. i'm not that much in love with the MFB filter.. esp its resonance sounds wild but somehow detached removed from the source. whereas on SED demos it is one with the source, like on vintages.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I agree cluster, it does sound removed from the source when it's driven hard.
I was under the impression from Tripbeat the multimode would be SED too, but it appears it is not, judging by Greatsynthesizers review and the MFB soundcloud clips.
Yea the MFB site says it too (24/12db low pass only).
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah did a quick look there.. it seems so,, they added an OTA filter for 12/24dB LP (basically a Jup8 setup) to existing multimode. i guess that still better than leaving out the MFB and not having any HP/BP.. and one can argue that quality LP is most important anyway.

"SED Filter

Our new filter design contains two different types of filters. Once is the 12 db mfb multifilter with 12 db lowpass and 12 db highpass, bandpass und notch. Sound can be described as clean and powerful with steady catchy resonance behaviour.
The second is new SED filter with 24/12 db lowpass. This single ended discrete (transistors) filter can be driven into clippng zone, especially the 12 db variant. The 24 db lowpass can be sound almost clean when you drive the vco mixer below half of possible value.
Summary:
A clean and powerful multifilter get added a roland/ssm sounding partner."
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
True
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am biased because I love my Telemark K.
A.S. recently released V2 which adds a sub osc and ring mod, which is a nice addition.
While it is quite expensive for a mono synth, it is still a great buy.
And I have never seen a second hand one. I would get a quote from Derp!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I just did
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeo ➑️
(...) I like creamy and squeltchy, I want a decent selection of cv inputs to hook it up to an Urzwerg Pro (...) Do you reckon the sound of the Dominions SED filter is worth the extra money.
1. The SED Filter is abolutely worth every Penny, especially if you prefer creamy filter sound.

2. Maybe it is a good idea to buy an used Microzwerg and wait for the new Kraftzwerg II which will contain for the new SED Filter for sure. The big plus of a Kraftzwerg II / Microzwerg I-combo here: More Osc (4 instead of 3), more filter, more LFOs, more ADSRs, much more patch points, more routing options, more modular possibilities. The minus: waiting time could be maybe up to one year (hoping for half a year), no patch memory.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks Loddar.
Reckon I'll defo get a Kraftzwerg II when it comes out with the new filter.
I don't mind the lack of patch memory, in fact I sort of prefer it

Do you guys know if the Urzwerg pro would be able to get the most out of the Telemark?
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeo ➑️
Do you guys know if the Urzwerg pro would be able to get the most out of the Telemark?
It depends a lot on the question how do you want to use it. How do you want to modulate your synth?

I like the Telemark V2, but all in all its not a very complicate synth. What can you achieve here via patching or analog sequencing? If an analog sequencer has 3 or 4 rows things will get much more interesting. Sequencing of only note pitch plus filter motion (or PW, Sync) seems to be a bit boring (or: "not enough modular") to me. The Urzwerg allows up to 4 rows, so this is a good thing.

What CV-Inputs does the Telemark have?

CV Pitch VCO 1
CV Pitch VCO 2 (not: CV for both VCO)
CV PW VCO 1
CV PW VCO 2
CV Filter
CV VCA

It is very (!) useful to have different modulation inputs for pw VCO1 and pw VCO2 to achieve very convincing pwm sounds - but in the dominion X you have this feature, too - without the need for an external modulation (by using two of the three LFOs for this task).

The dominion X gives you all of the cv input features above (you can also modulate all VCOs together by using only one cv source) and additionally a cv input for VCO Sync (which is also useable for the input of audio signals as modulation source - hey, and it allows very nice results!) and a cv input for VCO FM (which is also useable for the input of audio signals as modulation source). A special extra here is the velocity routing with a velocity modulation matrix with up to 15 different modulation destinations for velocity - at the same time!

All in all the Dominion X gives you much more features, more cv inputs and therefore the Dominion X is imho a slightly better compagnion for your Urzwerg.

Minus points (for me) - if i compare the Telemark with the Dominion X:

only ADS Envelopes, only two OSC, only two waveforms for OSC (no saw!), only 1 LFO (instead of three), no audio range for LFO, less FM capabilities, no filter feedback device, no sinus waveform for LFO, "only" 4 filter modes (instead of 6)...

To put it simple: With the Dominion X you can achieve more things. But the Telemark is still a good synthesizer.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for such a detailed response dude. made things really clear. Yea the dominion does have a lot of scope for sure. i cant deny though I'm totally drawn to the sound of the telemark. i could listen to it all day

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Another big plus for the Telemark (for me anyway) was seeing synth legend Alan Wilder using one on his last tour.

*gotta say "Oh micky your so fine" , great stuff.
Wish I had thought of that.
Michael.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My name is mickey ye see. threw it together for a gig a few years ago.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Went with the Telemark. Can't wait.
With regards to MFB, I was close to going for the Microzwerg cause it's so cheap but I'm gonna wait till the Kraftzwerg 2 which rumour has it will have a SED filter.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This Telemark demo is superb, especially the first bit & then again at 3:58

Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
That glove is superb :P
πŸ“ Reply