Quantcast
2 Minibrutes or 1 Sub Phatty? That is the question... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 Minibrutes or 1 Sub Phatty? That is the question...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years

-Comparable in price
-Analog monosynths
-Unique filters
-Small keyboards
-knobtastic

...obviously there is more to it than those, but I mean it's what gave me the idea.

What do you think would be better money spent?

2 MBs gives you two multimode filters, which could allow stereo processing. Also you would have two mono synths in your arsenal, rather than one.

Sub Phatty is a Moog and has two oscs, but still only one instrument / filter. But it does have presets, and better build quality.

I'm sure I missed a lot of points, but you guys can hash out the rest!

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's the moog filter isn't it, that's what you'd be missing, although I've never touched a moog in my life and am not currently missing it.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would never buy the same monosynth x2...it's just a waste of money if you don't want to use them live with different patches IMO.

You can buy a Minitaur and and a Minibrute for almost the same price and enjoy both worlds of sound...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
- If you have a midi-CV converter that could turn your Brutes into a duo-phonic synth, I might see the point.

Does the Phatty have CV-inputs for both oscillators? In that case, you could use it's two VCOs as a duophonic, same number of oscillators.

- Or if you are preparing for a live set where you need more sound-sources on a budget, or want to record 'live', I might also see the point.

Otherwise, just pick the one you want! Try both, take what you like the most, that's how I look at it anyway
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I think a huge part of it is the "moog" filter.

btw i know i said two oscs for the sub phatty, but please forgive me for not considering either the mb or the subp's sub oscs, as well as the wave blending in the mb
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just saw it in their website, im sure most have seen it already:

SUB PHATTY | Moog Music Inc

But....damn! Now i dont know if to get the Mopho or this for a first synth...it looks really nice. Gives me some serious GAS
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon Cube ➑️
Just saw it in their website, im sure most have seen it already:

SUB PHATTY | Moog Music Inc

But....damn! Now i dont know if to get the Mopho or this for a first synth...it looks really nice. Gives me some serious GAS
i would definitely get the sub phatty over the mopho if i didn't have a mono analog yet...but that's just me
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
i would definitely get the sub phatty over the mopho if i didn't have a mono analog yet...but that's just me
Indeed! Though it only has 25 keys, i dont much mind really. Its small yet powerful, and it being mono, it shouldnt be too hard to remeber how to program or write down patches.

I wonder how good it will be in a live setting? Any ideas?
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon Cube ➑️
Indeed! Though it only has 25 keys, i dont much mind really. Its small yet powerful, and it being mono, it shouldnt be too hard to remeber how to program or write down patches.

I wonder how good it will be in a live setting? Any ideas?
i think it will be great in a live setting. the knobiness gives you immediate access to the sounds, the small keyboard gives you portability, and the 16 presets gives you 16 great starting points, to which you could add tweaks per song if you need to. nice blend between total reprogramming of minibrute and meh interface of mopho

also bigger knobs / slanted face make it easier to use live imho
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i think it will be great in a live setting. the knobiness gives you immediate access to the sounds, the small keyboard gives you portability, and the 16 presets gives you 16 great starting points, to which you could add tweaks per song if you need to. nice blend between total reprogramming of minibrute and meh interface of mopho

also bigger knobs / slanted face make it easier to use live imho
It can save presets? I didnt know that! I thought it would be presetless because of the analog-ness...thats it, Sub-Phatty, your the first analog keyboard synth im getting period!

(i will start with the Bassline3 and Miami first though)

edit: just saw the picture in the site with the buttons under the "presets" :P

Last edited by Polygon Cube; 22nd January 2013 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Just saw something important :P
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the Moog sound so i'd go with that. I also don't see the point in having two of the same synth, unless its semi modular.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
My constantly evolving upgrade path is a bit foggy right now,
but I can see at least one or two Ms-20s and Sub Phatties in there...perhaps even more at these prices.

One filter in a Moog is the least of problems when you have MS-20's esp.

I don't see Minibrutes in my path(although I like it too)
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
the obvious answer is all three.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if you really want a combo, id sooner go minitaur+minibrute,

otherwise just sub phatty, which imo doesnt sound that intrinsically moogy. its like a cross btwn moog basics and added dirt/gnarly elements, less silky more raspy in the highs.. probably in part envisioned as moog's answer to what many ppl use minibrute for currently. so a little bit of both. i dig.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
if you really want a combo, id sooner go minitaur+minibrute,

otherwise just sub phatty, which imo doesnt sound that intrinsically moogy. its like a cross btwn moog basics and added dirt/gnarly elements, less silky more raspy in the highs.. probably in part envisioned as moog's answer to what many ppl use minibrute for currently. so a little bit of both. i dig.
+1
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's easy man. Don't give yourself some useless headache.

You have a Minibrute already.
Now buy a Minitaur.

Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➑️

Now buy a Minitaur.

haha yeah i'm really thinking about it.

more likely i will get a slim phatty, because i love silky moog leads. stalking ebay for one to come up cheap

i posted this thread more as a discussion started than an advice seaker though
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
if you really want a combo, id sooner go minitaur+minibrute
+ 1

Another combo candidates for roundabout 1.000 bucks:
* Nanozwerg + Dark Energy I + Minibrute
* Vermona Mono Lancet + Minitaur
* Korg DW 8000 (unisono rocks!) + Slim Phatty
* Theis Basic System + Minibrute (1.500 bucks - more than great)
* Waldorf Pulse + Korg DSS1 + Minibrute
* Kraftzwerg MK II + Minibrute
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The only advantages I can see for 2 MB's is: run one in arp or sequence mode and use the other for leads and sweeps, for live use, it gives you 2 ready to go Presets. Very week argument in my mind. Save up for the SubPhatty and have 17 sounds at the ready. Plus 2 entirely different analog keyboards.
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have a Minitaur and a Minibrute. The Sub Phatty and the Minitaur have MIDI CCs at each position of every knob, allowing for parameter automation from a DAW. Patches can also be saved into your computer. These are HUGE features for me, a computer guy. I love being able to quickly switch between exact sounds I would like to revisit. The Minibrute has MIDI over USB but can only receive note information (note start, note length, and note release) and the tempo for the arpeggiator can be synced to other MIDI devices. The keyboard is also velocity sensitive I think, which makes it nice for controlling VSTs and other synths. The cool thing about the Minibrute is that the layout is so easy, if you know what you're doing and know your way around the control panel, it doesn't take long to revisit a patch.

I'm trying to decide if I SHOULD GET THE SUB PHATTY TOO. I feel like with the Minitaur and the Minibrute, I already possess most of the sonic capability of one Sub Phatty. Maybe I'm wrong though. The Sub Phatty and Minibrute seem VERY similar, but I feel like a Moog should have a more Moogy sounding grit.

My reasons to get the Sub Phatty too:
1. It's a Moog
2. It's a Moog that has a noise waveform and a triangle waveform. (Minitaur does not).
3. Parameter automation from Ableton Live would be sweet
4. Saving those exact, superfine-tuned patches/switching between them in less than a second

I love my Minibrute for its noise waveform fader. I don't have any drum machines so I like to sample my arsenal of analogue synths for percussive synthesis. I feel like the Sub Phatty would be a sexy addition to the low end, the high end, and the percussion in my studio.

What do you guys think?
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I'm actually grappling with the decision of whether or not to get the sub phatty or the ms-20 mini, so I'm at a similar place as you @elephantapde

I too wonder if the moog and minibrute have too much of a sonic overlap...but I think I'm coming to the decision that they would actually complement each other VERY well, as opposed to canceling each other out.

-Minibrute has an awesome layout, but sometimes you really do need a few presets (for live use especially)

-full automation of all parameters via midi not only allows infinite presets, but really expressive changes (recorded or programmed) over time

-even though the moog filter on the subphatty is being touted as agressive and raw, it seems like when you dial down the settings, it's still the sweet smooth moogness. i don't have that, and i really want it

-dat noise

-just imagine sequencing the minibrute and the moog from a master keyboard, and running them all through either the moog filter or the mb filter...3 oscs and 2 sub obscs.
that would be one epic mono

moog for live use with its 16 patch storage, minibrute for screaming leads and simple patches on the fly

i'm getting a sub phatty
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I like the way you think Stevism. I think I'm gonna get one too heh

I wasn't thinking about the similarities of the Minibrute and Sub Phatty complimenting each other.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
haha glad i could help!

yeah i didn't really stop and think about it until i started deciding between the ms-20 and the sub phatty, and how each would work into my setup

the ms-20 has a special draw to me (the iMS-20 app on the iPad is basically what got me obsessed with synthesis) but for the money and certain missing features (some people may attack me for it but i do NOT want to deal with 1/4" and 1/8" adapters...they could have left the outputs and inputs at 1/4" imho), i think the sub phatty is actually much more of a bang for the buck

also, since the ms-20 is cheaper and will most likely be sold in much larger quantities, i get the feeling that it will be much easier to pick up a depreciated ms-20 in 6 months to a year than it would be to pickup a sub phatty at a cheaper price at the same time period.

so if i HATE the sub phatty i will just sell it and buy the ms-20 and have some extra cash, and if i still feel like i need an ms-20 i will buy one and save a little cash
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I too have been asking the same kinda questions.
The price of the minibrute make it an easy choice... but the preset ability of the SubPhatty really make it worth it. I agree, if you have a MB the SubP would sit well.
I have a minitaur thats getting sequences by my Octatrack, some live keys might be nice... sub pahtty / mini brute /sub phatty / mini brute..... super hard call
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dunno about prices in the states and I have a Minitaur and a Slim Phatty which I love. If I had a Minitaur, I would look into scoring a cheap used Slim Phatty (there will be loads once the SubPhatty ships) and an MS-20 Mini.
Or if you don't want the MS-20 Mini, I would get a used Slim Phatty and one (or two) Moogerfooger. You could probably find a MF-102 Ring Mod (which I will take with me to my dying bed) and an MF-101 (there's your stereo Moog VCF with the SP).
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
Dunno about prices in the states and I have a Minitaur and a Slim Phatty which I love. If I had a Minitaur, I would look into scoring a cheap used Slim Phatty (there will be loads once the SubPhatty ships) and an MS-20 Mini.
Or if you don't want the MS-20 Mini, I would get a used Slim Phatty and one (or two) Moogerfooger. You could probably find a MF-102 Ring Mod (which I will take with me to my dying bed) and an MF-101 (there's your stereo Moog VCF with the SP).
Nice call.
I've been a bit unsure about the slim phatty, reading that they are not stable. I was wanting to stay small form factor, defiantly worth a thought.
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Regardless of the next purchase, if it were me I wouldn't get two of the same mono synth. Whatever benefits there are in that aren't outweighed by the initial cost, imo, plus the inconvenience of having one instrument sit there unused a lot of the time (which I reckon is what will happen).

The stereo thing you can do with a DAW, as well as poly, which you can do in a DAW using multitrack. Etc., etc.
Old 16th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➑️

Now buy a Minitaur.

Played the Minibrute for the first time the other day. I was pleasantly surprised at how warm it did sound. Save up for a Sub-Phatty and enjoy the flexibility of two synths with keyboards.
Old 25th March 2013
BBG
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
none, none + none
πŸ“ Reply