Quantcast
New Age albums with best production values? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Age albums with best production values?
Old 23rd January 2013

🎧 5 years
Iasos' pre-digital new age albums are the best. He one was of the founders of new age music, his music was found in a large study of near-death experiences to be closest to what people heard after they died. All analog synth explorations with a ton of tape delays, tape saturation and the such.

Plus he made a VHS tape in the early 80s that is ridiculous!!!

Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i'm not sure jm jarre counts but -- if someone hasn't heard oxygene, equinox, rendezvous, you are really missing out!
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakary ➑️
paul sphere
andreas vollenweider
spelling mistake, it is Paul Speer and his album Collection 983: Spectral Voyages is worth a listen, one of my favourites.

Amazon.com: Collection 983: Spectral Voyages: Paul Speer: MP3 Downloads
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Tangerine dream.... Especially their trippy 70s stuff..... And jm jarres oxygene album is amazing.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Tim Blake & Steve Hillage both have amazing hippy-synth tracks ... Some of it pretty hilarious, lots of it really good.

Manuel GΓΆttsching ... Klaus Schulze

Eberhard Weber on ECM is pretty groovy
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew caramia ➑️
Tangerine dream.... Especially their trippy 70s stuff.....
Sorry mate, TD were never classified as New Age in the 70's. They were catergorised as a Rock Group, Electronic Rock or Prog Rock. I always saw TD filed under Rock when i bought their LP's back in the mid 80's.

Frontman Edgar Froese even denied TD were an Electronic Group and insisted TD was a Rock Group.

They were lumped in the New Age genres in the late 80's, early 90's. It's a term Edgar Froese hates still.

To me New Age is people like Medwyn Goodall, Terry Oldfield ie meditative music. Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick is a prime example of New Age as the whole album is meditative in it's structure.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➑️
Sorry mate, TD were never classified as New Age in the 70's. They were catergorised as a Rock Group, Electronic Rock or Prog Rock. I always saw TD filed under Rock when i bought their LP's back in the mid 80's.

Frontman Edgar Froese even denied TD were an Electronic Group and insisted TD was a Rock Group.

They were lumped in the New Age genres in the late 80's, early 90's. It's a term Edgar Froese hates still.

To me New Age is people like Medwyn Goodall, Terry Oldfield ie meditative music. Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick is a prime example of New Age as the whole album is meditative in it's structure.
Yep i agree with you, they always regarded themselves as anything but new age. However for someone thats looking for electronic new age stuff they are a VERY strong recommendation. They almost defined that genre without realizing it i rekon.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bluetech was a great recommendation. Not sure if it's new age really, but I've enjoyed quite a few albums now while working. Very consistent stuff. Wonder how I haven't ran into this earlier.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Solar fields has some chill out/new age stuff that sounds incredible.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can't wait to try a few of these out
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe a real classic is Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick. Alex Patterson heard this album in his early days and the rest is Orb history.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

Last edited by greenlights; 24th January 2013 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Wrong thread.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Desert Dwellers has been mentioned here already - check their first 3 albums (Waves, Roots, Water) are right up there for me...

Rena Jones is amazing.

Hibernation - 'Some Things Never Change'
Kaya Project is also worth checking out.

I'm branching away from (psy)new-age here, but The KLF - Chill Out is a timeless piece of work and I think necessary listening for anyone who appreciates sound!
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Interiors - Japanese ambient produced by YMO's Hosono

Ashra - New Age of Earth

Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick

Edgar Froese - Pinnacles

Anything by Steve Halprin can be found at most thrift stores on vinyl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
imho. 'New Age' is too broad of a genre name.

What exactly does New Age mean today ? All music that put you to relax/sleep ?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️
Anything that has even a remote association to hallucinogens is not my cup of tea really.
Quote:
Bluetech was a great recommendation. Not sure if it's new age really, but I've enjoyed quite a few albums now while working. Very consistent stuff. Wonder how I haven't ran into this earlier.
Bluetech is one of the best psychill artists. Maybe you should try also http://virtual1.bandcamp.com/
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Couldn't detect anything psy on Bluetech while listening? Maybe a few grooves were a bit on the experimental side, but overall feel is quite neutral electronic. I think the songnames don't refer to anything too funky either.

Or maybe I was just being prejudiced.

Well, my cup usually tips when things start to associate with hindu gods, mushrooms, trolls and song names are something you have trouble decoding or something like "shnitzled in negev" or "schmaltz herring" (just randomly looked at one shpongle album). That doesn't mean the music is not good, I just don't care for the things they usually relate to.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Couldn't detect anything psy on Bluetech while listening? Maybe a few grooves were a bit on the experimental side, but overall feel is quite neutral electronic. I think the songnames don't refer to anything too funky either.
If you check Solar Fields, Carbon Based Lifeforms or Sync24 from ultimae.bandcamp.com, then you'll find it's all pretty neutral electronic as well, even if Ultimae is considered one of the best psychill/psybient labels.

Plus I'd say modern psy music is more about creativity and quality nowadays than hindu gods and mushrooms
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@raymondwave:
Are you a computer programmer looking for something to code to or something like that?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not a programmer, but I do listen to a lot of music when working, so I can listen to quite a few albums that way. I'm more into musical inspiration here than something to work to. My style is often quite relaxed synth based stuff, so I'm constantly on the lookout for great stuff to listen to in that area.

I often find myself looking for music that doesn't exist, which is great, since I can then do it myself .
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like the early work of Llewellyn on the releases in the Mind, Body, Soul Series.

Shiatsu
Reiki

These CDs have great dynamic range and are very thoughtful and relaxing.
Old 25th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I often find myself looking for music that doesn't exist, which is great, since I can then do it myself .
Speaking of which, does anyone know of a full CD length single track filled mainly with silence with interspersed flashes of sonic brilliance? That's gonna be a project I work on before I die.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ray Lynch's "Deep Breakfast" was well produced and a lot of it on an Oberheim 4 or 8 voice I think

Bluetech has released a collaboration with Steve Hillage that i like= under his own name-Evan Bartholomew.
In Fact Erik Davis ("Technosis") has a good recent interview with Evan on hos "Expanding Minds" podcast. The interview and the artists he mentions are both worth checking out
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Obviously, "New Age" conjures up really different notions of music for different people here

Some of these bands/artists are alternately considered: Psychedelic/Progressive Rock, Ambient, synth music, downtempo, Psybient, etc... Lots of genres overlap with "New Age". I know that it's a legitimate genre too-- did you mean the late 70's / Early 80's synth based genre????

Anyways, if you're talking Ambient music for "New Age" I'd second the Recommendation for Steve Roach, pretty much anything he's done especially:

structures from silence
Dreamtime Return
Vine, Bark & Spore
Kiva

really, any of them, they're all great

The Soundworlds of Steve Roach

Then, there's Robert Rich, who is also amazing. Check out:

calling down the sky
bestiary
yearning
soma

Robert Rich | Ambient Music | Sonic Surrealism

Then, there's my absolute Favorite ambient artist, who is arguable the most new age one of all, Ishq

Literally ALL his albums are aamazing and impeccably mixed (best on headphones!)

I favor:

Orchid
Sama
And Awake
Magik Square of the Sun
Sanyasin (a collab project)
Visions of Surya (also a collab project)

http://ishq.org/
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I highly recommend the I am the Center compilation that came out last year. It features tracks covering a few decades of DIY New Age music, and perfectly encapsulates the wide variety of styles. There are some tremendous tracks on this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf7x-8Jkw50
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Call me a little biased....but- Transcendence

Old 25th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Global Communication's '76:14'

- 76:14 is featured in The Guardian's 1,000 Albums to Hear Before You Die list. It is described as an "unfathomably beautiful out-of-time masterpiece."
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice to see this thread got resurrected, more stuff to listen to
Old 26th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Richard Burmer is something I'm definately going to look up! Sounds very promising, totally new name for me.
Richard was a great guy, I miss him. He passed away about 10 years ago. I think his first album is my favorite. He actually had a top 10 single in Japan back in the 1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by :Metaphor: ➑️
Obviously, "New Age" conjures up really different notions of music for different people here
The problem is "New Age" was never really a defined genre. It was a marketing term dreamed up by the music industry so they could put music that was not easily defined by other established genres, like blues, rock, classical, jazz into a group. Anything that didn't fit in those other genres were then tossed into the new age bin at your local record store. So you might find all kinds of stuff like Tangerine Dream next to Philip Glass, next to Yanni, next to Jon Hassell, next to Tibetan Monks, etc.

After a while with Yanni and John Tess becoming the most popular artists, it became a sort of sad fake orchestral pop fetish thing with lots of copy cats. I meet a lot of failed singer/song writers jumping on board in the early 90s trying to latch on to the "new age" gravy train. A lot of the more interesting artist started to rebel asking for a different label, distancing themselves from the name. So for some artists it's not a popular label.
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land
Andy Summers - Mysterious Barricades
Suspended Memories - Earth Island
Harold Budd - Lovely Thunder
Carbon Based Lifeforms - World of Sleepers
FSOL - Lifeforms

And, although not "New Age" per se, I have to include:

Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
πŸ“ Reply