Quantcast
Hate to praise software but OPXpro is excellent - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hate to praise software but OPXpro is excellent
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hate to praise software but OPXpro is excellent

Tonight I compared Opx pro to my Oberheim OB8 and I was blown away. They really nailed this one. It's damn near exact. I had an obxa and while that was a bit different than the Ob8 (a bit). Opx pro captures the essence of both. Kudos to the makers. It's the best soft synth I've ever heard.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's neat, but it should've been a comparison against an OB-X not 8.

Sound demos anyway*?

*Not a crappy vid like last time thx
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
it's a good soft synth yes!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You hate to praise softsynths?? heh

I had a feeling you were an Obie owner of some kind. But yeah, softies have come a long way from the generic "instruments" in Reason 1. OPX, Diva, Omnisphere - not really the same thing, but still freaking awesome, and I'd add Arturia's softsynths in there, regardless of what the herd says. I'm unaware of any other way of having a Moog Modular outside of spending as much as the cost of a good car.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OPX sounds bigger than my Matrix 6, due to OPX's osc spreading and detuning, and the Matrix's kinda cold 80's sound (though in truth the Matrix does mental crazy stuff that OPX won't, due to it's exhaustive modulation matrix).

A bit of chorus on the Matrix bridges the gap and makes them sound pretty damned close, though.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➑️

Sound demos anyway*?

Here is an idea why don't you compare it to your OBX? Don't like my last comparison? ... Don't watch the video. Simple. I tried to do something nice for people.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why do you hate to praise software? Computers have been around for decades, they run software and some of it is praiseworthy.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➑️

Sound demos anyway*?

Meow. Kitten got claws!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
the key to plugins is only to have the best and use them as tools, which is what they are. Installing every POS plug and having a list 500 long is the worst thing you can do for your DAW.

This plugin is on my short list, along with Emulation IV and the complete 480xl from Relab.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This video is a pretty good comparison.
Hopefully it pleases all parties.

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam ➑️
Why do you hate to praise software? Computers have been around for decades, they run software and some of it is praiseworthy.
Because I spent a ton in hardware ...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➑️
Meow. Kitten got claws!
Yea that clown has got some balls...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 ➑️
Because I spent a ton in hardware ...
Fair enough
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I mean no offense, and apologize for nothing. Look at it like this: If I told you that the banjo, while not exactly a guitar, makes for a decent guitar replacement, would you just outright believe me?

This isn't the first time you've done exactly that and it is absolutely fair for me to ask for a demo. So, pretty please, with a cherry and some friggin sugar, could you supply us with a demo? Or don't, your perogative.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If I buy just the normal OP-X what am I missing that pro gets?
Old 22nd January 2013
Ged
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can concur !!! I recently bought it, and yes it IS damn damn good.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Fantastic synths deserve fantastic showcases, when you're listening to a Jupiter recorded with a cellphone you're not doing the synth any justice and it's not rocket science to record it properly. I think the only excuse is when you're trying to sell it and you only want to show that all the keys work as advertised.

Agreed?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I also own the OB8 and OP-X...

I think the OP-X is really good and one of the best soft emulations out there. He's really done a great job - perhaps as good as it gets at current sample rates.

I did some of my own comparisons with my OB8. Im a bit skint at the moment and Ive been looking for a way to save money so obviously having a $99 softsynth take over duties would be pretty sweet.

Ive tested quite a bit of software emulations in the hope that they might replace my analogue instruments. The fact is some of them are really quite close. With the really good ones like the OP-X and Diva, when you hear the sound coming out of a computer soundcard - its quite easy to think 'wow!' they nailed it. It really does get the Oberheim vibe the OP-X.

However - when you start to compare closely - or start tracking parts - thats when you start to hear the differences. Differences that you thought were small - but actually make up for a big part of the sound and character. You need to spend a bit of time with both together to get over the initial honeymoon excitement that the sound is coming out of a computer - to get over that bias - so you compare them based only on sound.

Put bluntly - here are the issues that are wrong with the OP-X if we are suggesting it is a 1:1 replication of the original - from my point of view.

The High freq. The OP-X has either a muddy muffled high end - to make it sound analogue - or if you use bright mode in the Pro 2 version - the high end becomes fizzy and harsh. If you compare to the real analogue you find the high end is clear, warm and open and above all - musical. Real analogue gear is not restricted to sample rates or based on mathmatical formulae. The OP-X tries to simulate this analogue sound by muffling the high end - but when you compare you see it - the OP-X just sound muffled.

The weight. The OP-X when it emits sound - does not have quite the same girth or presence of the original. It sounds 'like' it - in the youtube videos after encoding etc - it seems convincing. But those youtube videos have 128 bit AAC encoding. But when playing after a while you start to feel there is not the same weight behind the sound and its not satisfying in the same way as an analogue synth.

The low end. It doesnt have the solidity when trying to have punch in the low end. This partly I think is due to the digital envelopes crumbling a bit but also something IMO to do with low end in the digital realm, and perhaps saturations etc.

Edge. The OP-X has for a softsynth - pretty tight envelopes and can make decent pluck sounds. Its harp is cool. However - there is an undeniable sharp feel to the sound that you dont get with analogue hardware. It might sound cliched - but when you pull sounds like that on analogue hardware - it sounds really beautiful and you can find yourself sitting there listening for hours. With the OP-X the experience can be nice - but it doesnt have the musical feel that you get from analogue components.

javd007 - I suspect you might be going through a minor period that people (including me) sometimes go through when they try the excellent emulations. On first contact - it can seem like 'why do I need these expensive boxes - this sounds great!'. Well - maybe you dont need them. However - in my own personal experience - once the dust has settled - I usually start to notice the small differences - and realise - they do mean a lot - at least to me.

Im not intending to make anyone feel down about owning the OP-X because I think its a great instrument. However - I do think for me - its not going to replace my OB8.

Finally - Ive done a few tests - but I only can find this one. I apologise in advance because its a poor test really - and my playing is awful because I usually sequence MIDI - and I was just noodling by hand because I was away from my main set-up and was amusing myself. I did it for my own interests on the unison-but I spent time matching presets as close as I could. I also switched the filter type on the OP-X on the bass example to compare. Its actually a bit embarrasing - but I thought I ought to post something if I had it. Also the converters I used for the OB8 were sub standard.

Anyway I feel you can hear in this example - most of what Ive outlined above.

I think you can guess which is which. Mp3 uploaded on this post below.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8427995-post122.html
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Stellar write up ^ One thing I notice with all analogs is the randomness of them. Every time I hit a note , it sounds a bit different. The way the notes flow into each other is different compared to an emulation. I use this feature of analogs often. The same patch can sound different depending on how the notes are struck. I also cannot imagine having a synth without knobs . Programming must be a bitch.
πŸ“ Reply