Quantcast
Uninspired by my drum sample libraries... Help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Uninspired by my drum sample libraries... Help!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Uninspired by my drum sample libraries... Help!

Point me in the right direction guys, my buddy and his NI Maschine came over last week and I was beyond blown away by the "vinyl" drum library he had running... Ready to go, polished, most of my kicks are deadmau5 kinda stuff, so over that... I love hip hop ish kinda drums but tend to do downtempo a la boards of Canada...

Soundcloud.com/cmockett

Where my drums at??
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Goldbaby?

products
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In your synthesizer heh
Old 22nd January 2013
msl
Lives for gear

Check out Magic Theater Audio he's a fellow GS member. His drums are the bomb.

Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
thanks for the info guys! apprec it
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I will be direct and say that by that description you would likely enjoy the Slappers&Fluffers kick set.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
here's a bunch of drum machine samples i keep on my server. enjoy!
http://www.brainwashaudio.com/transf...20machines.zip
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Nice! Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For Hip Hop type drums Stretch That Note do some amazing layered kits. If you have Kontakt then I highly recommend it, I haven't tried the non Kontakt kits though. They're totally unprocessed, so not vinyl, but designed to be easily layered and faahaattt.

Also, Battery has lots of vinyl sampled hits. I tended to overlook the Battery library as I bought 3rd Party sample packs that were 'pre-mixed', but I've started to use them more just recently as they're not 'over-cooked'.

I like the Goldbaby kits & Karloffs Slappers & Fluffers too

EDIT: Oh wow, thanks Stevil! Just downloaded that as I was typing!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah i've never felt very inspired by sample pack drums.... goldbaby SP1200 are usable as are some of their other products

But you should dig for drum samples from recorded tracks, ideally from vinyl. It's how most great electronic music which stands the test of time were made (if not from classic analog drum machines etc directly)
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Drumagog
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You can buy the Maschine software (comes with tons of samples) used on eBay. I've seen several 'Maschine software only' offers pretty cheap on there.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I were you, I'd go find some old vinyl records at a thrift shop, put them on any old record player, go into a pre-amp on my DAW, and sample away to my heart's content.

You can in fact get great results this way, even if you're using sounds from "unknown" records.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis ➑️
If I were you, I'd go find some old vinyl records at a thrift shop, put them on any old record player, go into a pre-amp on my DAW, and sample away to my heart's content.

You can in fact get great results this way, even if you're using sounds from "unknown" records.
Records with good drum breaks tend to be pricy though. Tons of otherwise bad records can fetch quite a high price, if they just have 3 seconds worth of quality sampleable drums.

It isn't the early 90's anymore when thrift stores were full of cheap samples...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➑️
Records with good drum breaks tend to be pricy though. Tons of otherwise bad records can fetch quite a high price, if they just have 3 seconds worth of quality sampleable drums.

It isn't the early 90's anymore when thrift stores were full of cheap samples...
There are tons of bargain places with dirt cheap vinyl. That definitely did not change with the times. Here anyway..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➑️

You're right, to some extent.... but the "high" prices they fetch are usually what you might purchase from collectors on-line. There's still thousands of undiscovered gems in thrift shops, well, the ones I visit. They have vinyl everywhere and they don't price them based on content, not where I live anyway.

Also, there are many records to trawl, and not all are known to have good drum breaks even when they do - there's plenty to discover. Especially in the age of DAWs where pitch/time shifting and beat matching is no obstacle.

But the main reason I'm writing this is because the OP was describing a lack of inspiration. Just looking for pre-packaged on-line samples might not be quite as fun as finding your own vinyl samples, or even recording your own drums. Inspiration, at least for me, comes with building something from scratch. But it's not for everyone.

edit: If you are after a hiphop soul...the core of your sound... no better way than starting with actual vinyl.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis ➑️

But the main reason I'm writing this is because the OP was describing a lack of inspiration. Just looking for pre-packaged on-line samples might not be quite as fun as finding your own vinyl samples, or even recording your own drums. Inspiration, at least for me, comes with building something from scratch. But it's not for everyone.
edit: If you are after a hiphop soul...the core of your sound... no better way than starting with actual vinyl.
I agree, vinyl gives life to the top half of the spectrum like no bought set will. But it is useful to have some bottom end building blocks to stick underneath for underpinning the funk.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If maschine sounded good then get the software with the samples.

I fooled around with the iOS version and liked so much that i bought the hardware. For me Mashine have been biggest source of inspiration for long time. I have pretty extensive collection of "****ty" LP's that i have bought from drift stores for sampling. It is quite hard to find really good drum samples from random records. If the sound is from vinyl it will not make it automatically good. There is loads of badly recorded/mixed LP's out there.

But yeah, it really depends where you live how good the local drift stores are.

Goldbaby samples are pretty good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
I agree, vinyl gives life to the top half of the spectrum like no bought set will. But it is useful to have some bottom end building blocks to stick underneath for underpinning the funk.
Yeah for sure. Mix it up :-)
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sample packs are good for finding kick drums that have weight - and are good to layer under samples. But for snares and top end stuff like hats, vinyl samples always fit in my mixes way smoother and sound richer. Just gotta build the vinyl collection and look for records where they used similar instrumentation that u might wanna encorporate - like 80s records where they list out "linn drum" on the back.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Real drums, like bfd2 etc. Mix them up with some vinyl/sp12/sp1200 samples.
πŸ“ Reply