Quantcast
What secondhand gear prices will suffer the most after NAMM 2013? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What secondhand gear prices will suffer the most after NAMM 2013?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
What secondhand gear prices will suffer the most after NAMM 2013?

Thread title pretty much sells it all.

With more analog gear coming out, etc...what prices do you think will fall the most (or at least a little bit)?

vintage and/or recent releases
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are you planning on buying now based on the answers given here?

My crystal ball says... vintage h/w samplers will see a price fall.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The same analogue gear! Ebay will see a little boom in second-hand, good-as-new gear bought by newcomers who didn't do the research. Prices will be slashed just to get rid of them. Happens with everything, not just music gear. Give it a month or two and you'll find a Sub Phatty on Ebay reduced by Β£150 just to get rid of it. Economics, everyone!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm still surprised about the over pricing of old analog synthesizers. Smells like a Tulip mania...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a feeling Little Phattys and Minitaurs will drop somewhat, with the new Moog turning up.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I would hope to see some cheaper Minitaurs on the market, haven't quite been able to justify a purchase yet, but a slight drop will probably tip the scales for me.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The only time you see a surge in sales is when there is a DIRECT replacement.

For instance, Apogee Rosetta 800 was 2800 dollars when it came out, and people thought that was a great deal. But now, the Symphony is out so they go for like 1100 on eBay and there's TONS for sale.

So, if say DSI came out with a Prophet 2013 or something, you would see a ton of Prophet 08s for sale.

That's the only way you will ever see something noticeable.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL only the newer gear, that takes a price hit for people that like to sell to buy the latest thing. The vintage prices are going down just as much as those pre-CBS Strats go down every time Fender releases a new one.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
analogs will always stay the same, here's the reason why: they're always going to sound good. Digital will always have something better, but analogs sound great as to where they stand, they'll still sound awesome in 50 years.

what will drop in price:

all that korg, kurweil, yamaha, roland rompler crap that the rap guys buy up, use their internal preset roms in pop rap songs, and get the next device.

tritons, trinities, k2000s, k2600s, k2500s, xv1080s, 9080s, 4123080s, EX5rs , all that crap is worth so little now:o

they'll always go down in price.
Old 22nd January 2013
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Minitaur and Little Phatty might get a small used hit from the new Moog synth.

Depending on the Mini MS-20's comparison to the original, the original might take a hit if the sound is identical or very close.

The hype for the Minibrute will be overcame by the Mini MS-20 and new Moog. I can see the used prices dropping since people usually follow the 'new' hype train.

Used software is an absolute joke, and your lucky to get 20% of your investment on resale so I wouldn't really count it in this... But with the amount of analog hardware and the hype around it all I can see a few less softsynths being sold new and used.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
it is pretty obvious with what has been leaked so far but the real wild card is DSi. rumor on the boards has it some kind of Tempest DNA based unit..
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
awesome, i'm really looking to acquire some "recent" analogs, not really vintage...

i want some sort of dsi module (mopho or tetra) and maybe a little phatty

really hoping that the sub phatty leads to a bunch of people ditching their lp, or even their slim
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MS20 will not take a hit. Not even close.

The modern Moogs will drop in price. Thats about it.

alexP
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
really hoping that the sub phatty leads to a bunch of people ditching their lp, or even their slim
i sold my LP last week before the official announcement was made so i didn't lose much but yea it's value is probably about to tank which i guess is good for prospect buyers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
MS20 will not take a hit. Not even close.

The modern Moogs will drop in price. Thats about it.
True or not, as soon as someone posts that the new MS-20 does not sound anything like the original, I expect the vintage price to go up a couple 100's of dollars. Say goodbye to MS-20s below $2K! heh History repeats itself, see Voyager, SEM, Jupiter 80, NL3, ...

I hope to scoop up a Minitaur for $400
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 ➑️
4123080s,

they'll always go down in price.
Man I'll always love my 4123080s, it finds its way into everything I do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
it is pretty obvious with what has been leaked so far but the real wild card is DSi. rumor on the boards has it some kind of Tempest DNA based unit..
I'm waiting impatiently to hear what's new at DSI. I've seen the rumor at their forum too. My P08 will be up for sale if a P08 killer is ever released.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'll forecast that anything NORD releases will kill the value of whatever it replaces.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The big 3 always take hits when there new stuff arrives. KURZ will drop prices on new things as always. The Little Phatty will take a hit. I keep waiting for the Microkorg to drop a $100 bucks.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not true sh-101 is still holding up in price
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
Not true sh-101 is still holding up in price
If I am understanding what you are saying, what I was referring to is more recent generation Roland stuff.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
I'm still surprised about the over pricing of old analog synthesizers. Smells like a Tulip mania...
Nah, tulips are genuinely useless heh

The only way to make a Jupiter 8, P5 or other legendary unit drop in price is to recreate it with all the production methods of back then except for an upgraded CPU/better MIDI processor and a better PSU. So, through-hole, custom chips for polyphony (though the recent comment - forgot who made it, I think golden beers - about SMT being small enough to just implement it as SMT instead of an IC would be worthwile to look into), big traces, parts with wide tolerances and heavy materials to build it like a tank.

And even then, because those parts haven't aged but the originals have - the originals will be worth more. But only for people where "previously owned by Nick Rhodes" counts. The rest will happily dream of that $6K "new" Jupiter.

What, $6K? Yes, of course; quality costs ya.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
so, when do you guys think the recent analogs will start taking a price hit? when should i pounce?

I'm thinking like 2-3 weeks after namm?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
none
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➑️
none
so you're disagreeing with the people above that said prices will drop a little bit?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MS10 vs a new MS20 - think the MS20 would win that, putting the brakes on the MS10 prices.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
so you're disagreeing with the people above that said prices will drop a little bit?
how you got that idea? have i said none?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Minibrute.
More units available, more competition from others doing similar things.

I think a packet of sandwiches bought now will be worth less after namm as well.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Newish stuff always goes down a bit when the next generation shows up. But I think that is okay, if I buy new(est) stuff. I KNOW that, and only do it if that piece of kit is WORTH it to me. I am probably old-fashioned, but I still find it is okay if I pay a premium for using something that gives me pleasure. Even if a piece of hw goes down a bit after a year or two, when I sell it again, it is still comparably cheap if I used it during that time.

As for the ms-20, it won't go down in price, I am convinced. It is a character piece (not just in sound), a classic oldtimer, and even if the reissue was completely the same, it would not have the same kind of emotions attached to it (yet). Emotions make people sentimental, and sentimentality makes them willing to pay a high price. Somehow, the sentimental value of something being reissued or copied might even rise, but certainly hardly go down.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have serious GAS reading about these new releases from korg and moog. I think it's going to be the perfect time to get my first mono come this spring/summer. Maybe I'll get lucky picking up a secondhand slim or Minitaur. My polys lack in the low end so this will be a perfect addition without breaking the bank.
πŸ“ Reply