Quantcast
New gear from Roland and BOSS, looking good! - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New gear from Roland and BOSS, looking good!
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
new Roland sucks...JD-990 was the last good thing they put out.
I kinda like the XV-5080 & thinking about a vsynth but yeah I get your point. I have loads of Roland stuff but 95% of it is analog & pre 1987.

I wish I could spend an afternoon with the marketing guys explaining what a lot of us want.

Such a legacy it's a shame where there at right now.

K
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'll say this for Roland: the keyboard amps are outstanding. And the CM-30 is a great portable monitor, perfect for jam sessions.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Keyboard amps outstanding? You mean the KC series? Hell no. Sounded unnatural and way too boomy (and no, the onboard EQ doesn't help), not to mention way too pricey per W.

Laney has much better keyboard amps for less cash and with a more balanced and natural sound.
Vfx
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
I happen to think they're delicious synthesizers just from pouring over YouTube vids and mp3s.

Enough said. Everything else written had been negated by that satement.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Roland are the epitome of a company full of employees running through the motions to shi* scared to even peep out of their comfort zone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfx ➑️

Enough said. Everything else written had been negated by that satement.
It happens to be true. Facepalm all you like, but when I finally got my hands on a Kronos, I had so immersed myself in the sound from its OASYS days, I was already familair with the sound. It was almost like I had played it for years.

You and your hand have a nice day.
Vfx
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You and your hand have a nice day.
We are indeed!
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Damn, Roland got a frosty welcome right off the bat.
I must say, from the prespective of a modern day electronic musician, rightly so.
But not every music instrument company can be a winner at every single namm.
I have a feeling Roland will bounce out its funk in the coming years, and when it does me and my wallet may be there. However, this year, my money is gonna to be going to korg.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtinct ➑️
Damn, Roland got a frosty welcome right off the bat.
I must say, from the prespective of a modern day electronic musician, rightly so.
But not every music instrument company can be a winner at every single namm.
I have a feeling Roland will bounce out its funk in the coming years, and when it does me and my wallet may be there. However, this year, my money is gonna to be going to korg.
Every NAMM? Try none... it's the repeat failure behind the "jumping
on Roland.

Hey Roland, fine, we get it, your bread n' butter are weeding singers, but hell, would it kill ya to throw the guys who made you cool a bone once in a while?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Okay guys, can we count the number of Big Three plus One who have produced analog synths recently?

KORG... and...

Help me out here.

BTW, thumbs up on the Addams Fam pic. heh
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I thought they did pretty good 2-3 years back with the introduction of the GAIA. I mean it's not a perfect VA keyboard but its pretty good in my humble opinion. However, overall, for me VA hardware is rapidly loosing luster to recently developed serious algorithm crunching VST's and the advancements of mobile micro processor tech. However, I have my reasons on why I keep the VA synths I choose to keep, one of them being the GAIA.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtinct ➑️
I thought they did pretty good 2-3 years back with the introduction of the GAIA. I mean it's not a perfect VA keyboard but its pretty good in my humble opinion. However, overall, for me VA hardware is rapidly loosing luster to recently developed serious algorithm crunching VST's and the advancements of mobile micro processor tech. However, I have my reasons on why I keep the VA synths I choose to keep, one of them being the GAIA.
They had a great idea with the Gaia and I hear that it's popular when teaching music synthesis to students. But for me it needed an LCD screen and aftertouch and maybe even multimbrality to have have been a killer intro/bedroom/gigging synth.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
It also needs NON-SAMPLED raw oscillator waveforms to be a true VA. heh
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
It also needs NON-SAMPLED raw oscillator waveforms to be a true VA. heh
Yea, byfar not a perfect "VA" instrument. Still not sure why roland did opt for samples on the GAIA osc section, but I didn't feel cheated when I found out...
Old 27th January 2013
Deleted 2ecf148
bring forth and behold thee dbeam station
Old 27th January 2013
Vfx
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
D-Beam with V-Link.
Old 27th January 2013
messiaen
to my ears the Vr 09 sounds much much much better than similar types of keyboard, for the money, better than King korg, and casio pw, even giving Nord a run for thier money, better than any of the recent juno's, love all those tweakable effects, I think its probably a great starter keyboard/synth... for Β£700

Just add an Moog subphatty and ribbon controller you can do Emerson , 'pictures at an exhibition' impersonations!!!!!!!
Old 28th January 2013
Vfx
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You know most of these "affordable" new synths are gonna be dirt cheap in a couple years on the used market. You may want to wait.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfx ➑️
You know most of these "affordable" new synths are gonna be dirt cheap in a couple years on the used market. You may want to wait.
you could wait...but if you want to make music/songs now then you will need to purchase!

or you could get last years sysnths "dirt cheap" as you say...
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Vfx
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It is true many prosumer synths do not hold their value. Probably makes more financial sense to buy used.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Of course, if you want these companies to be around in a few years supporting and maintaining these synths, you might want to consider buying something that doesn't cost as much as a decent used car now too. And get some musical use out of them for several months. Just sayin'.

Someone suggested to me at Guitar Center that I could have a JP-80 for a month, return it for a full refund and essentially have a free 30 day loaner. And believe it or not, it was a sales dude! I let him know by being hard on myself that I couldn't live with myself taking advantage of companies like that. At least I hope he caught my drift.

This is why I'm trying to change the world one human at a time.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
my first roalan be the sh09 an last year i boigh the giaia but i thinking it rely should be calld the sh1t as it has more alias thn my applebook pro
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy ➑️
Roland are the epitome of a company full of employees running through the motions to shi* scared to even peep out of their comfort zone.
totally.. anyone here ever met a Roland rep?
I worked at a music store for a hot minute... Roland guy was a total shallow creepo... some people you can just smell the denial,.. skeletons in the closet kind of people.
Old 31st January 2013
Vfx
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The last time I actually saw a Roland Rep was back in I believe 1991 at Audio Light & Musical in Norfolk, VA talking about the JD-800. That was a very decent music store in my area before Mars Music and Guitar Center Moved into the area which crushed the samller area locally owned businesses. Roland Reps seemed fine to me at the time but I have not seen any at the area Guitar Center. Things have changed now though anyway because I remember places would have clinics or demos of synths when they came out. The closest I get to this feel is from internet sites like sonic state or sweetwater etc.
Wishing Roland would kick but again!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

if the VR-09 had the extra low pass filters that the jupiter50/80 and integra7 has then i'd take a proper look at it as it could potentially use the leagacy patches also
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Of course, if you want these companies to be around in a few years supporting and maintaining these synths, you might want to consider buying something that doesn't cost as much as a decent used car now too. And get some musical use out of them for several months. Just sayin'.

Someone suggested to me at Guitar Center that I could have a JP-80 for a month, return it for a full refund and essentially have a free 30 day loaner. And believe it or not, it was a sales dude! I let him know by being hard on myself that I couldn't live with myself taking advantage of companies like that. At least I hope he caught my drift.

This is why I'm trying to change the world one human at a time.
It's commendable that you know what you want and what you won't do ...

But I don't think Roland would consider the situation "taking advantage of them ... " (Maybe after the third or fifth time ... )

Any company would much prefer you to put the money down and walk out the door with the synth ... So many things can happen in 30 days, including you falling in love enough to not return it ... (or just having too much money, not enough time to return it, physically breaking it, spilling something on it, etc.)

I'm quite sure that's what the sales guy would be hoping for ... (and not you getting a free 30-day trip to Jupiter -- although I feel odd writing that as I do not really consider J80/50 a synth worthy of the Jupiter name and design style despite them being decent products ... )
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➑️
if the VR-09 had the extra low pass filters that the jupiter50/80 and integra7 has then i'd take a proper look at it as it could potentially use the leagacy patches also
Lost opportunity if they do not...

Maybe they intend to do a more dedicated VA using the full engine but with more direct controls like the GAIA. By dropping the SN Organ they could add some more VA engine blocks...

Otherwise the VR-09 is a cool synth for an iPad user and the extra filters and legacy patches would be a real plus
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b788fee ➑️
I'm quite sure that's what the sales guy would be hoping for ... (and not you getting a free 30-day trip to Jupiter -- although I feel odd writing that as I do not really consider J80/50 a synth worthy of the Jupiter name and design style despite them being decent products ... )
Well, first of all, mostly it's taking advantage of GC, though I have spent plenty of money there so far when I could have done the online shopping thing.

On the Jupiter, I understand all the caterwauling about the outrage of sticking that venerable name on a digital synth. Sort of.

I did get to play briefly with a JP-50, and though the SN acoustic instruments were a lot more awkward for me than i thought they should, the synth patches were ridiculously cool.

Now I am becoming aware of the synth's shortcomings, as there is some grouching going on at Roland Clan and other boards about things left off. Really odd things you wouldn't expect to see missing from a flagship synth, such as not allowing you to assign performance knobs for your own purposes except in Registrations or Live Sets - still working on exactly what limits are on each. This is a weird performance oriented synth to be sure.

But at the same time, most who have the cash to get a JP or Integra have or are getting something else too, which more than likely covers the shortcomings of the JP. Just about any rompler such as a KORG M3 or Motif will do that job, or maybe a Virus or Radias synth. Maybe an SK-1 or other clonewheel. There are no shortage of options.

The sound quality of the VA synth in the JPs is amazing. A rep stated that the engine is running 24 bit at 96khz, which would explain a lot. The synths even heavily layered are rich and translucent - in other words, they don't seem to clutter up the soundfield much. And while some glaring omissions are there, such as hard sync and other basic mod options available on many other synths, most of us have that covered in another instrument.

I'm becoming known as "ecumenical" on synths, loving almost everything but a Gaia or Venom, but the Jupiters and Integra do have a quality of sound that I would put up there with almost anything. Of course I'm doing old school patches synths have been known for since the bad old days of the 70s.

On the VR-09 and its VA engine, I have a feeling that Roland is going to leave it with the non-updated synth engine to add some appeal to the Jupiters and Integra. They might surprise me, as you only get one Tone made up of three Partials (layers), but that Tone is the equivalent of most other synth patches on other keyboards, and sounds nice and big. And as I understand it, most of the Jupiter's patches use the old non-vintage modeled filters, which really sound just fine to me.

I have to decide, as I'm being heavily drawn to the Prophet 12 and its ridiculously powerful real/hybrid analog architecture...
Deleted b788fee
I haven't gotten a chance to play JP-50/80 but I believe they sound great ...

The reason I think they don't think they deserve the name Jupiter (and why I'm not interested in buying it new at full price) is because of the severe lack of of onboard controls ... Every Jupiter has had one control per function ... These new ones rely too heavily on touchscreens and menus ... And of course, they aren't analog ...

But Roland owns the name ... Not me ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
..On the VR-09 and its VA engine, I have a feeling that Roland is going to leave it with the non-updated synth engine to add some appeal to the Jupiters and Integra. They might surprise me, as you only get one Tone made up of three Partials (layers), but that Tone is the equivalent of most other synth patches on other keyboards, and sounds nice and big. And as I understand it, most of the Jupiter's patches use the old non-vintage modeled filters, which really sound just fine to me.

Actually the VR-09 has two Tone blocks that can be split or layered. More than enough as you get 128 Poly and also Unison for a better way to stack voices if needed (the suggested way on the Jupiters is needless unless the Tone Block layers are different). The Integra 7 has Sixteen Tone blocks but the most limited effects as only one MFX per Tone block, although they do give a better spread of a separate EQ per Tone Block

The VR-09 is quite powerful and I see no reason for them not to at least add the extra filters. The only visible difference in the editors is the lack of bend range adjustment. Until we see the user guide it will also not be clear how much is available in the Effects (7 systems always on / global control). If fully featured then that is a significant improvement over the others.

The Jup80, for example, could layer 10 Tone Blocks (30 OCS's) of SN Synth, but when you look at the effects routing they could not all be the same with onboard effects. Better to make use of the unison feature. Probably the same story with the Jup 50 if it extra 2 Tone Blocks past the main block of 4 can stack SN Synths. As before the resulting effects mismatch make that pointless.

On the GAIA I found one Tone Block with it's three partials (which Roland may confuse you by calling them tones on the synth instead of partials), is more than enough. So the GAIA can stack 3 OSC's, the VR-09 can stack 6 OSC's and the Jupiter 80 can stack 30 OSC's

In theory on the Integra 7 you could stack 16 SN Synths with the same effects and that would be a total of 16x3 Partials = 48 OSC's at once. With only 128 Poly that means you could only play 2 of those big notes at once ;-) That's why the VR-09 is impressive as like the GAIA it has 64 Poly per tone block (again translating GAIA's 3 ''tone'' partials as one tone block). I assume a full 128 Poly if only one block used on the VR-09. The other synths do not have the Poly to keep up with their layering unless you really do want a few Poly of big stacked OCS's...

V-Combo VR-09

Maximum Polyphony
128 voices

Parts
Organ (3 parts)
Piano (2 parts)
Synthesizer (2 parts)
Drum (1 part)
GM2 (16 parts)

Effects (7 systems always on / global control)
Overdrive
Tone
Compressor
Multi-effects: 20 types
Delay: 6 types
Reverb: 6 types
Rotary: 2 types

JUPITER-50

Maximum Polyphony
128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)

Parts
3 parts (Upper, Solo, Percussion/Lower)

Effects
Multi-Effects (MFX): 4 units (parallel connection only), 76 types
Reverb: 1 unit, 5 types
* Multi-Effects can be used only with a Live Set.

[IMG]http://a1880.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/094/Purple/v4/03/5a/f4/035af4be-fd31****f2-2f8f-a62d5d458890/mzl.gklxulub.480x480-75.jpg[/IMG]

JUPITER-80

Maximum Polyphony
256 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)

Parts
4 parts (Upper, Lower, Solo, Percussion)

Effects
Live Set (Upper/Lower part)
-Multi-Effects (MFX): 4 units (parallel connection only), 76 types per each Upper/Lower (total: 8 units)
-Reverb: 1 unit, 5 types per each Upper/Lower (total: 2 units)

Solo part/Percussion part
-Compressor + Equalizer + Delay: 1 set per each Solo/Percussion (total: 2 sets)
-Reverb: 1 unit, 5 types

Master Effects
4-Band Equalizer: 1 unit

INTEGRA-7

Maximum Polyphony
128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)

Parts
16 parts

Effects
Multi-Effects: 16 systems, 67 types
Part EQ: 16 systems
Drum Part COMP+EQ: 6 systems
Motional Surround Chorus: 3 types
Reverb: 6 types
Master EQ

πŸ“ Reply