Quantcast
New gear from Roland and BOSS, looking good! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New gear from Roland and BOSS, looking good!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLAND RAZZ ➡️
Remember playing and performing can also be rewarding and doing it well still counts for something to me.
No worries mate, we are all different on this forum and I guess we still need to get to know your POV.

But most gear threads should generally contribute something other than "Hey Roland has these new boards". Specs, links, info, would be nice. I dislike having to Google info because someone didn't post a link. I love seeing pics. If GS were a pop-up book I'd be so happy.

Roland V-Combo with an iPad editor - woooooooopie (*Edit) I won't be buying this anytime soon.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aside from the V-Synth (which is starting to show its age), all the recent Roland releases sort of seem like...

SimplePlan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 ➡️
I know this forum is half for Electronic music production, but its also half for just Electronic instruments used by any musician.
Electric guitars are also electronic instruments yet no one here is discussing a mexican strat. People is this corner are primarily concerned with synthesis not digital piano presets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 ➡️
So you shouldn't assume everybody that posts here is only making techno and has the same needs/wants you do.
Why are you stereotyping electronic musicians in with techno ? I said "electronic musicians" not "techno."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout ➡️

Makes grim reading. The bulk of their loss is all Music gear... They are just hoping emerging markets pick up...

Unless they have large operating expenses that can be cut further they will be forced to review their product line... Listen to Customers or leave that market.

Unless of course this is a swing they can cope with until markets pick up. No sign of that just now...
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
Roland is about as exciting now as Windows is to Apple's innovative products.
Man thats just.... I dunno where to begin.... Ok, roland and boss aint dave smith and neve but deserve a mention here. They have released some amazing products, even recently! Windows and apple???? Jeez the best thing i ever did was get those dumbass style over substance un-upgradable paperweight apple products out of my studio. Going windows has been a technology revelation, smooth, powerful and wallet friendly. Thisll probably kick up a big heated reaction and its off the subject but has anyone else come to this realization?

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
You guys know that Roland is a bit of a name in high end vision mixers right?
I guess they've moved on from the synth game.

Roland Corporation Australia - Video » Vision Mixers
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➡️
You guys blame Roland because they won't make a revolution with their new stuffs then you are all pumped up about that stupid MS-20 re-issue ?

You guys have a problem.
That stupid MS-20 reissue is more exciting than anything Roland has put out in over a decade (or two).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➡️
* Roland never did innovative synths/drum machines for techno artists. They made instruments for bands where someone took their offerings and used them for totally different usages, Detroit techno, acid et rest.
* Frankly speaking the market for electronic music artists today is in SW, SW-plugins et rest, where the prices are now close to $100 or below for a lot of SW products. Roland has no background with such development, they are a HW company.
* Speaking of margins, there are more money to be made from hardware pianos and keyboards, especially in the middle tier market. And Roland is a company who wants to make money, especially just now as their financial situation is not solid.

First, of course that gear wasn't MADE for techno... but it was co-opted by electronic musicians and that's who has given Roland that particular life and credibility (even if they never made another decent product again).

Secondly, are you serious with your SW comment That's one of the problems with the internet, it's you in a bubble and so you think your experience is THE experience... have ya noticed a few Moogs, DSI, Oberheims, Minibrutes, et al for sale?
Old 22nd January 2013
Hmm.. I'm going to guess the MS-20 reissue threads are going to outnumber the comments and views over the "new Roland" threads. Then tell how dumb it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➡️
Sounds OK
I think so. Nothing radical, but not bad. If it works as shown success depends more on the TBA price than anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️

First, of course that gear wasn't MADE for techno... but it was co-opted by electronic musicians and that's who has given Roland that particular life and credibility (even if they never made another decent product again).

Secondly, are you serious with your SW comment That's one of the problems with the internet, it's you in a bubble and so you think your experience is THE experience... have ya noticed a few Moogs, DSI, Oberheims, Minibrutes, et al for sale?
Have a headache?

My point was that Roland never made innovative synths, they just made synthesizers that others used in totally unexpected and innovative ways. To tell Roland that they need to make game change equipment is in my eyes weird as you could take a piece of string and make something creative, if you are creative of course.

As for electronic music, do you think all these young producers that crank out thousands of tracks each day are surrounded by Moogs, Arp 2600s and Oberheims? Most likely Reasons, Ableton Lives, Logic and lots of plug-ins, hopefully purchased instead of ripped. Or, they are not middle-aged professionals with lots of cash to spend on vintage analog gear. Meanwhile they are pretty innovative with what they got and indeed start need music styles.
Quote:
Have a headache?

My point was that Roland never made innovative synths, they just made synthesizers that others used in totally unexpected and innovative ways. To tell Roland that they need to make game change equipment is in my eyes weird as you could take a piece of string and make something creative, if you are creative of course.

As for electronic music, do you think all these young producers that crank out thousands of tracks each day are surrounded by Moogs, Arp 2600s and Oberheims? Most likely Reasons, Ableton Lives, Logic and lots of plug-ins, hopefully purchased instead of ripped. Or, they are not middle-aged professionals with lots of cash to spend on vintage analog gear. Meanwhile they are pretty innovative with what they got and indeed start need music styles.
My opinion, this is why a lot of music sounds the same nowadays. Lots of music lacks patch design, sound design. Lots of music lacks 3d space in the mix and sounds overly processed. I've heard lots of bland leads, too simple. (just an opinion though, don't kill me for it. Not saying this is how it is.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➡️
I think so. Nothing radical, but not bad. If it works as shown success depends more on the TBA price than anything.
The ad vid I did not post () mentioned it was an affordable synth. In some ways its cut down in others it not... For some that need those sounds at an affordable price it could be really great. Its light weight too for travel and small for a studio. As you say it depends how much it costs
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
My opinion, this is why a lot of music sounds the same nowadays. Lots of music lacks patch design, sound design. Lots of music lacks 3d space in the mix and sounds overly processed. I've heard lots of bland leads, too simple. (just an opinion though, don't kill me for it. Not saying this is how it is.)
Oh I agree but I think it's even true of those using analog gear.

One reason I listen a lot of jazz and Rinse FM nowadays. Both have pretty interesting music patterns, jazz as you have classic instruments but a brain/mind to take it to different directions. Rinse as they seem to pick up all kinds of new music forms happening in UK just now.

Going back to Roland, I don't think new music will suffer just because Roland didn't introduce a new Jupiter analog synth. You could take any of today's Roland offerings and with creativity do something new.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Why is everyone surprised that Roland is mainly targeting the live cover band/worship market. They've been doing it for years and years. It's good for what it is, it's just not really for us. I agree the V-synths were probably the last thing they made worth a damn, but even those didn't really make me smile. Sold my SonicCell and never looked back.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➡️
The ad vid I did not post () mentioned it was an affordable synth. In some ways its cut down in others it not... For some that need those sounds at an affordable price it could be really great. Its light weight too for travel and small for a studio. As you say it depends how much it costs

£729 - £739 approx including VAT UK

$1199 US

Seems the Tone Wheel Organ and the Synth are SuperNatural tech but the rest of the few tones are PCM...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➡️
No worries mate, we are all different on this forum and I guess we still need to get to know your POV.

But most gear threads should generally contribute something other than "Hey Roland has these new boards". Specs, links, info, would be nice. I dislike having to Google info because someone didn't post a link. I love seeing pics. If GS were a pop-up book I'd be so happy.

Roland V-Combo with an iPad editor - woooooooopie (*Edit) I won't be buying this anytime soon.
Hey guys first of all you are right. I should of posted pictures, but I like visiting sites and googling things, but that is just me. Second During my ownership of over 40 synths, numerous pedals, and a pretty decent home studio, I am a GS true and true. My POV is love of gear and love to help people with any knowledge I may have.

I have many fond memories of my Mono/Poly, DW800, Juno 106, JX3P, Voyager PE, DSI PEK, Poly 800, V-Synth GT, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead, Nord Lead 2X, Mopho, Electro 2, and D-50, not to mention the samplers, sequncers, loopers, acoustic giitars,workstations, romplers, amps, PA's and drum machines I have gotten and lost.

This not a bragging session but a telling confession of the money troubles I have brought upon my self for nearly 28 years by overspending, bad gigs and bands, blown recording ventures, personal issues, ect... I live for gear and to talk about it, if that makes me a slut, then so be it. That is my POV.

Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I wish I needed something like the VR-09. It's probably the best live keyboard Roland put out since the V Synth GT from what I've been able to tell. I haven't seen it in person yet, so I can't comment on the build quality, but Roland have finally caught up to what Clavia have been doing for a few years now for LIVE performance, I would say.

What makes this cool is the iPad integration. The editors for the organs and synths look very cool. A looper built into a keyboard? I don't care what kind of greasy techno music you do in your basement, a built in tempo-sync'd looper is cool. It's not Mobius, but that's okay.

Back in the day, this and the iPad would be all that I would need on a gig. That replaces at least two keyboards and a small rack - which was the smallest I could get my rig.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL every sound in that youtube video posted (i watched the second one in that post) sounds ****ing terrible and would never touch my music.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I do agree with sizzle, the looper is cool feature, I always like boards were ideas can be added/recorded almost instantly.

As far as the sounds, I'll have to demo one in person sometime. Not expecting anything spectacular though unfortunely.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar ➡️
LOL every sound in that youtube video posted (i watched the second one in that post) sounds ****ing terrible and would never touch my music.
Seriously, I literally laughed at that video.

In the 90ies, these kinds of sounds were why it took me so long to get into synthesis. I thought wtf, make proper music with that!?

I agree with ksandvik: Many of Rolands' previous successes were serendipituous (except their old analog synths). Roland made some boxes that sound cheesy when used as intended (accompanying bass and drums), but their analog sound made them mallable to musicians who thrived on sequencing sounds.

Yet, since I heard them in intended cheesy applications first, I never really got into Roland, the image stuck in my mind.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Pretty much, yes.

I would also add V-Synth there. But yes, you're correct.
The JP8000 was also a nice try...if we exclude the limited features...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplePlan ➡️
Roland doesn't care anymore for electronic music innovation. Why would I buy a controller from them when there are other companies that actually support electronic musicians.
Because their controllers are likely to be a cut above the cheap plastic silver boxes in terms of build quality. That 64-key weighted controller is pretty compact - I think in that regard there was only competition from Fatar.

I don't see 'm often but it used to be so that your choice was either 61- or 76-key synth action, or 88 weighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➡️
You guys blame Roland because they won't make a revolution with their new stuffs then you are all pumped up about that stupid MS-20 re-issue ?

You guys have a problem.
heh

Don't forget the enthusiasm for an analog monophonic synthesizer with two oscillators from another four-letter company, and that one doesn't even have patch points!

Seriously though, revolutionary stuff is pretty hard. Arguably a V-Piano is pretty revolutionary - I'm surprised they haven't managed to cram that into a smaller package yet.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Pianoteq was revolutionary way before V-Piano.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All the new Roland Keyboards, including the JUP80 look really really cheap, with the faux retro fonts and that horrible plasticky silver looking scroll wheel, just use a black one guys.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear
Soooo, it's basically it's a cheaper version of the Nord Stage series?

Could sell. Especially if it's nearly 3-times cheaper!

But agreed with the rest of you in principle - Roland seem to targeting a different market these days. Which is a bit disappointing :(
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey ➡️
I guess they've moved on from the synth game.
Smell ya later roland.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Pianoteq was revolutionary way before V-Piano.
Yeah, but V-Piano sounded way better at the time of it's introduction. (haven't tried either in a while though)
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
That is not the case anymore, Pianoteq 4 (especially the latest official Blüthner add-on) walks all over V-Piano, ESPECIALLY when you consider the price difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have a headache?

Roland NEVER made innovative synths?

What was the Jupiter 8, Jupiter 4, Jupiter 6, Tr 808, TR 909, CR-78 and the very first drum machines? What about VP-9000 technology? What about the V-Synth? Hell, even the W-30... ALL in the context of the time they were made, they certainy WERE innovative and top of the line.

Don't confuse sales with innovation.

The 303 and others found new lives as they were used in new ways, but that is a seperate line of logic.

And again, with your second point, you are confusing economics with innovation... Of course, MORE people use cheaper softeware, but have ya kinda sorta maybe noticed a whole crap load of new analog being made, some retro, but some innovative.

And btw, even software is becoming dated, it's not exactly the NEW form of synthesis it was a decade ago (exceptions to the rule, of course).

BUT, the point really is, does Roland drive sales from being perceived as being innovative and high-end or does it service wedding singer markets (we know the answer to that).
📝 Reply