Quantcast
Moog Sub Phatty vs Minitaur vs Voyager - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Sub Phatty vs Minitaur vs Voyager
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just researched and found that the retail price of a MiniMoog in 1974 was $1,595.00. $1,595.00 in 1974 had the same buying power as $7,926.70 does in 2013! So $1,095.00 retail for a Sub Phatty is a steal!!

Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotwings ➑️
I see the Sub Phatty more as an updated version of the Moog Prodigy myself (not the Minimoog).
I do agree that the panel layout of the Sub Phatty is more like the Prodigy and not the MiniMoog. However feature wise it blows the Prodigy out of the water and in many ways it surpasses the MiniMoog also.

As a Moog product I see the Sub Phatty filling the same niche today as the MiniMoog did back in the 70's. A reasonably priced, nicely featured synth with an easy to follow panel layout featuring dedicated controls for all the parameters. Plus it sounds great!! The same type of people that bought the MiniMoog back then will be buying the Sub Phatty now. That is why I see it more as a reincarnation of the MiniMoog rather than any other Moog product.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ as you just pointed out the Minimoog was worth $8000 today dollars back in 74... not exactly "reasonably priced" it was the rolls royce of monophonic synthesizers...just as is the minimoog voyager today imo.. like i said previously i've owned a moog source for a while and the phatty line is really a mix of the prodigy & source. 2 VCOs, noise, 16 presets, arp.. even the brushed aluminum on the sub is a throwback to the source front panel. all that being said, they are all the budget line synths of moog. comparing them to the minimoog is just wishful thinking on your part i'm afraid. as a recent voyager owner myself, i can assure you the third oscillator, extra modulation, 44 keys and interface including glide/release rocker switches set it apart from the rest of the moog line-up, hence the "minimoog" bob approved naming on the voyager label. that being said the sub phatty definitely packs a mean punch for it's price (yet there are cheaper moog alternatives if you are on severe budget limitations)

edit: even that ribbon and percussion controller are both included in the voyager via the touch surface (brilliant invention btw)
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Xanax, can you set the touch pad to different scales?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i've only had the voyager for less then a week so i haven't really dived into configuring the touch pad but you can do a zillion things with it (it's surprisingly useful) try checking the online manual for an answer on that.. or maybe someone else can chime in..
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Argh I want this. The LP and the Voyager never told "buy me" to me, but this one kinda does, can't wait to test it myself.
It would have been better with 6 more keys, but well. I wouldn't take it for playing live, so I can play its keys when creating the sounds, and play it via midi to actually play it.
That makes it 6 mono-synths that i can't decide from :S
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➑️
I wonder which sounds more like a D - The sub phatty, the Voyager or Macbeth Micromac. This sounds pretty powerful and rich.

Isn't the MicroMac about double the price of a Sub Phatty?

I like the sound of the Micromac better than nearly any other promised mono out there based on You Tube demos, which is all we have to rely on really for this new generation of monos (Boomstar, SubPhatty, Ms-20 Redux, etc.), but the last time I checked they were going to retail at well over $1,200...and I'm not sure that's including the desktop enclosure....
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm pretty sure that there will be 37 key Sub Phatties produced, with much expanded patch memory, an arp, etc., maybe even by the end of the year.

I'd rather pay a few hundred more for what are really fairly basic features.

The Sub Phatty as it is is little more than a desktop module.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
Just researched and found that the retail price of a MiniMoog in 1974 was $1,595.00. $1,595.00 in 1974 had the same buying power as $7,926.70 does in 2013! So $1,095.00 retail for a Sub Phatty is a steal!!

DROOL!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
I'm pretty sure that there will be 37 key Sub Phatties produced, with much expanded patch memory, an arp, etc., maybe even by the end of the year.

Where are you getting this information?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From my brain only, no insider trading violations here.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➑️
just wanted to chime in that I played the thing at NAMM and was really really pleasantly surprised. it's kinda hard to get a sense from the videos with this one but the playing experience is really good. the synth has a great workflow and next to the minitaur, I think tonally it's the best modern moog has done in the synth end (ignoring the voyager) for classic moog sounds.

i would really try to check it out in a store and get a feel for it by playing rather than the demos. i don't think I would ditch my minitaur as they sound quiet different but I certainly wouldn't mind having it to go along for the ride.
As a Minitaur owner this is exactly what I want to here.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpi ➑️
Moog's quality of sound is really unparalleled. And the ladder filter is patented. So... if you want the Moog sound, then you only get it in a Moog.
The ladder filter patent was issued in 1969. Which means that the patent expired sometime in the late 1980s. Moog was able to use the patent as legal protection against companies that outright ripped off the Moog filter during the 1970s (ARP, Roland), but exact clones of the Moog filter are totally legal today.

EDIT: It turns out this was mentioned earlier in the thread. My bad.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy ➑️
Isn't the MicroMac about double the price of a Sub Phatty?

I like the sound of the Micromac better than nearly any other promised mono out there based on You Tube demos, which is all we have to rely on really for this new generation of monos (Boomstar, SubPhatty, Ms-20 Redux, etc.), but the last time I checked they were going to retail at well over $1,200...and I'm not sure that's including the desktop enclosure....
Yes you could get a sub phatty, an MS20 and still have change from Β£1400
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I see it now.Sub Phatty II with more keys,expanded memory and choice of colors?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
i've only had the voyager for less then a week so i haven't really dived into configuring the touch pad but you can do a zillion things with it (it's surprisingly useful) try checking the online manual for an answer on that.. or maybe someone else can chime in..
Ok, I checked. Theres some options in the TS edit screen. Not quite quantizing to a scale though.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p ➑️
I see it now.Sub Phatty II with more keys,expanded memory and choice of colors?
Throw it into the 3 octave Little Phatty case and add a MoogerFooger Delay to the front panel. That would be the perfect Sub Phatty II!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
All that being said, they are all the budget line synths of moog.
I agree the Sub Phatty is part of the Moog budget line. But what makes this thing scream "modern day poor man's MiniMoog" are the knobs!! That's what I've been waiting for all these years! All those wonderful Moogy knobs!!
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
Throw it into the 3 octave Little Phatty case and add a MoogerFooger Delay to the front panel. That would be the perfect Sub Phatty II!!

I agree the Sub Phatty is part of the Moog budget line. But what makes this thing scream "modern day poor man's MiniMoog" are the knobs!! That's what I've been waiting for all these years! All those wonderful Moogy knobs!!
I got one of those 104 bucket brigade foogers married to my Minimoog model D.Ha!
They should take the voyager keyboard and stick that on the Sub Phatty2.
People use those for master keyboards sometimes.I like the feel of that board...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Bingo. I would have rather seen them release this as a desktop / rackable module similar somewhat to the virus then what they released.

I'm way too OCD so even though I like this I have to take a pass because their error in judgement concerning the keyboard will always bother me if I see it! Besides it'll irk me that it's taking up space with a keyboard I won't play.

I will keep my ears perked up for future versions, though. If they release one with a proper keyboard or release it as a desktop module then I will definitely be interested.

What I'm most afraid of though is that with the huge explosion of Analog over the past year from all these manufacturers is that there might be too much competition and Moog might not see enough on a return from sales of the sub phatty to warrant them making a proper version, or rather, the version they should have made in the first place.

Regards,
Frank
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Amos, since you were one of the designers of this synth,

do you think it's possible we see a dekstop/rack version of it, i.e. some sort of Slim Sub Phatty, in some less distant future?

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would love to see a desktop Sub Phatty as well since I have little use for those keys. But based on what appears to be a carefully thought out product line, I don't think we'll see it. It would encroach too much on Minitaur or Slim Phatty territory.

Price-wise they've strategically slotted the Sub Phatty right between the Slim Phatty and the Little Phatty with enough differences between them to entice folks to buy ALL of them -- or at least two out of the three (or four when you include Minitaur).

In such a competitive market, from a business stand point it makes sense to avoid competing with ones own products. So, as much as I'd like to see a Sub Phatty Slim, I don't think it'll happen. At least, not any time soon.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In the Sub Phatty videos Amos says they've been listening to the online forums...assuming this is one of the forums they listen to most it's (safe since Amos frequents here) it's not far fetched to think enough discussing will push Moog to release a desk top version, maybe sooner if they already plan to.

Seems many more would catch/maintain GAS if a module version was offered. I doubt we'll see a version with more keys but I'm no expert.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'll tell you what would be crazy - if they made the keyboard dockable! Imagine if the top part came completely off so when you're home you can use it as a module and on a gig you could dock it to the keyboard so you'd have a keyboard for the gig.

It wouldn't be that hard, you'd just have to have the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard end in a plug on the keyboard part and the socket on the module side and come up with a secure way to lock the two parts together.

Regards,
Frank
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
couldn't say; none of those decisions are up to me. Right now I'm focusing on the existing Sub Phatty and getting it into production to begin with. :D

I did see where there is already a literal petition in the works...
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...subphatty.html
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where are the Photoshop ninjas when you need them?

A decent 'shop of a Sub Phatty desktop (Slum Phatty?) would be good right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage ➑️
I did see where there is already a literal petition in the works...
Moog, we want a "Slim Sub Phatty" Petition
Wow. If I sign the petition, does it mean I have to dress up as a Moogerfooger next Halloween?
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
OK, Here it is!! The Sub Phatty II. Three octave keyboard with a MoogerFooger delay and wood side panels!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Where are the Photoshop ninjas when you need them?

A decent 'shop of a Sub Phatty desktop (Slum Phatty?) would be good right now.
Nice, I need a slum phatty.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
There has been much discussion on the "Sub Phatty" name. We have shortened the "Little Phatty" to Moog LP and the "Slim Phatty" to Moog SP. I suggest we do a similar thing with the "Sub Phatty".

I hereby proclaim that Moog's new synthesizer henceforth be dubbed

Moog Sub
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Personally, I own at the moment a LP stage 2 with CV out mod and a Minitaur.
I find both together to be a good combo as the Minitaur sets a great bass bed, then the LP can build on top of that...

However ever since owning the LP Ive always lusted after the Voyager and have been saving for quite some time.

Anyhow a couple of weeks ago I managed to get the funds together and have been waiting for the right second hand Voyager to crop up...then the video drops for the Sub Phatty.

I really love the knob access form the front panel and it looks to have some great features, plus if I bought one instead of the Voyager, I'd have some change left over..

Having thought about it Im still going for the Voyager because if I bought the Sub, I'd still be lusting after a voyager..

mainly because the full size keyboard and the semi-modular expansion options that are ticking the boxes for me.

So as of next week I will be going to pick up a mint condition Voyager Performer for the price of 2 sub phatties, and I really do think its worth waiting and shopping around until the right Voyager crops up.

I will be keeping the Minitaur because I think it will still have its uses (plus the money I would get back doesnt really make it worth selling), but I will be selling the LP as I think a Voyager will make it redundant.

Having said that if they ever did make a rack module Sub Phatty, I probably would be on board for getting it...but for me at the moment, it doesn't make me want to pick it over a voyager.

Obviously if you are in a different situation (funding) then the sub phatty would look more appealing.

I think if I didnt have the funds for a voyager and was to pick the Sub or the LP, then I would pick the sub....plus for the price of a new LP, you couple probably pick up a new sub and a used Slim for not much extra. Same sounds for the same money!
πŸ“ Reply