OldNoob seeking slutty help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OldNoob seeking slutty help
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Making Sneak loops !

Hi,

Here's my first thread so please excuse the noobish aspects of it.
I listen to electronic music since 1993 (mostly Acid, Goa and Hardcore as those were the main streams in my place). I then discovered (94) Chicago House and booty and then Jeff Mills then many others I won't mention because that would be too long.

I never really learned music, I only know ultra basic chords but know some principles (electronic engineer [signal processing]).
I started hacking with FastTracker II in 1995, then got a MC303 when it came out. Sold the MC303 because it wasn't my taste and then stopped because as a student I didn't have the funds to buy the goods I dreamt about (AkaΓ― sampler, Roland tr909 and tb303...).
I started back with Ableton Live in mid 2000's and just bought an Axiom 49 to use with it. Life caught me so I decided to sell my stuff.

I'm back in business since last December, discovered nice software integration with Maschine but decided to sell it because I prefer Ableton and will therefore get a Push when it's out.
While waiting for it's release I'm gonna buy an Alesis Q25 just to play with Ableton and various VST's.

My goal is still the same as when I began : trying to make some loops like DJ Sneak in his studio video with Weeks, Funky/Disco House Music (I'm not in the Swedish House or EuroTrance...). I also like Sebastian, Surkin, Breakbot, Lifelike...

After this huge intro here is my first question :
What should be my next purchases ?
As previously mentionned I'm gonna get a Q25 (I know that I should get a 32/37/49 keys but I prefer learning the other parts of music production and will try Xfer Cthulu).
I'll get some monitors soon but first need to get some headphones.
Thinking about an Alesis 3630 comp too but...

Thanks a lot for your help and understanding !
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My question is perhaps vague and to sum it up : what shall I purchase (700$ Budget) to make some beats like Sneak and Weeks in their youtube studio clip.

I know skill cannot be purchased but I'd like to improve towards this kind of studio fun : DJ Sneak & Phil Weeks Acid Session 1 - YouTube

Thx
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Save up a little bit more and get an Elektron Analog 4. A used x0xbox and Jomox xBase09 might be fun as well.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Those cost approx 2k here =(
I prefer to go ITB first, and when I read posts about xoxbox, people claim they are pale copies, therefore as my first piece of hardware was a MC303 I'll now try to invest in genuine things
I'd like to go analog but as I never invested into monitors, external compressors and other things than control surfaces and cheap keyboards...
Thanks for answering nonetheless

I'd also love Virus Ti, SP/LP, Minitaur, Old synths, cool compressors/filters... ^^
Old 22nd January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
if you're working ITB with Ableton, I'd say try to make that as comfortable as possible. Try software compression first, before jumping to hardware.
Why? Not that it's "better" but you'll get a feel for it, what it does, why, etc.

Ok, you got a controller? There's some stuff for Ableton on the market, think APC40, Ableton "Push" that kind of thing. You'll have tactile controls (knobs and sliders are totally different from clicking with a mouse) and that's going to improve a whole bunch.
Akai APC40 Ableton Live Performance Controller at zZounds
DJ TechTools

Ok, next... monitors. With 400 bucks left (and assuming you already have digital->analogue converters, the next thing that's going to make a big difference is monitors.
Now.. that's not a huge budget, so I'd recommend saving up a little more.
Some peeps swear Berhringger is good, but I'm not even going to try those. heh
Instead try to score secondhand Dynaudio BM-5a (the active ones) or the small Yamaha HS50M or the MSP5 (you could add a subwoofer like the HS10P later, since all of these are "bass light" sounding, because of their small size). KRK seem to have some popularity, but there's good and bad models, also try to score secondhand Genelec (the new molded cabinet ones). Go for ACCURACY and NEUTRAL behaviour, not the fattest kick. The Dynaudios mentioned actually do have a fat bass so..

Headphones. well you'll need more budget. I'd buy new. headphones are like underwear, you don't share unless it's your gf/bf/whatever.
Audio Technica carry some good ones, AKG, and Sennheiser as well, some folks swear by Sony, but that's not really my thing.
Avoid "Bose", "Dr.Dre" etc. they're nice headphones for listening, but IMHO you can find better ones for less money with above mentioned brands. Count on spening 150 USD at least.

Now you got to get some cables to connect and you're in business.
It's not as "glamorous" as recommending a really cool piece of hardware, but hey if you must.... MPC-1000 are pretty cheap now (get the black one, later SN, with the good pads) put some RAM in and a disk, this is a good machine for constructing nice drumloops from snippets, samples etc.
If you're feeling luxurious you can also check out the latest Akai Controllers, the "Renaissance" that you can hook up to the PC. And there's Maschine.. and... and..
it depends a little on budget, and cash flow.
hope this helps, there's a HUGE number of choices, so try to get some hands on experience, in a shop, or at a friend's place.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My 2 cents since you're an FT2 guy.. Tracking takes a lot of patience but the 'loops' way of doing things is old-hat and will leave you creatively frustrated. Just my opinion. You can do everything with software but it's too perfect. With practice you will make the exact sound you want but it will leave you nowhere apart from having mastered certain skills. You need a way to directly interact with the music, so think about a good multipurpose keyboard/synth. In the meantime use the paradigm you already know and buy a sampler, and work your way out of the box. Buy monitors before headphones.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think they're talking about this kind of production in this thread here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ue-thread.html

might be of some use for ideas
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
what plugins do you have

save every $ for hw. so pretend like you don't have that money.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks a lot for all your answers.
Even if monitors are the way to go I'm going to wait for my birthday in April to invest more in some and will first get headphones first (probably ATH M50).
I totally agree with ZutaoElectronic : my last experience with Ableton and Axiom felt really incomplete. I really want to have more interraction with my music and I'd love to go with more hardware but as I'm finalizing a house building I need to avoid a thermonuclear war with my wife and invest in thing that I would resell quickly. That's why I'm trying to find the thing I miss after practicing and buy right now gear I need for itb and otb.
I only use free vsts atm so I don't take purchasing amounts in consideration.
Once more thanks to all for your precious pointers !
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
- hobby music not worth war with wife

- decent cpu speakers (~ $99 USD) are fine for a spell and don't raise eyebrows

- look at used novation launchpad or korg nanocontrol to stuff in drawer under cpu keyboard.

save for an acid box w/midi (x0x, fr revo, acidlabs) -- that is only part of the acid sound that is ridiculously unsatisfying itb

then pick up a used korg mx1 or roland mc808/mc909

these two should sync easily to itb for itb or connect very easily otb for acid jam sessions--the mx1/mc808 iirc both have audio ins so you don't need a mixer.

the mc808 can route audio to fx, not sure about mx1. mc808 is a ****ed up machine w/stellar specifications--a total 'butter'...she looks, "but her" face!

good luck!
Old 22nd January 2013
Z6Z
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm pretty much in the same situatsion as you right now, but I'm trying to get out of the box... I can't make music on computer anymore... It has become just so uninspiring for me and gives me an instant headache. I spend too much time on computer, I know it and I hate it.

I'm thinking of Korg Electribe ESX + Vermona DRM mk III right now... or machinedrum for the same money. Haven't decided yet... Actually there are so many options out there.

Good luck!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
word.

i am not trying to promote myself here -- just share a sample of what the acid ghetto is like.

for fellow would-be denziens to-be of the modern acid ghetto, it takes VERY VERY little to have fun jamming out...monitors aren't needed, compressors aren't needed, expensive audio interfaces aren't needed.

BUT...that acid rubber sound, it does need some kit. yes itb plugs exist blah blah blah, it's not the same. though they can do in a pinch if you can't afford the hw.

And once you get the hw of your dreams, you might as well drop a few more nickels for a ghetto drum machine, any will do. MIDI is the key!

that's my message of hope for any who are willing to join us in our dark and dank quest!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-...808-fr777.html

eidt: old classic acid, that is a vibe, doesn't even need a 303...its a transcendent mindset imo, and much harder to hit starting out.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks crufty for those wise words ^^
I'm gonna be in the hunt for some nice acid box soon !
πŸ“ Reply