Quantcast
Jamaican Electronic Music from the 70s+80s? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jamaican Electronic Music from the 70s+80s?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jamaican Electronic Music from the 70s+80s?

hey guys,
was there any good electronic music coming out of jamaica in the 1970s and 80s? if so, please make some recommendations / post youtube links. im on a music buying spree right now and realized i have absolutely nothing from jamaican electronic musicians in my collection.
thanks
mini
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
would dub reggae count? lee perry, alpha and omega, mad professor?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah, definitely dub. please recommend some tracks / post some youtube links. thanks natefrogg!
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The guys doing dubs were definitely electronic musicians imho but the sound sources were still recordings of live instruments. But obviously the treatments they did to those recordings were innovative and hugely influential.

In the middle 80's dancehall began a transition towards digital sound sources with drum machines, synths and MIDI slowly overtaking the roots sound as the dominant style. I believe the Sleng Teng rhythm was the first fully digital rhythm and is pretty well known as such.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I don't know off hand if this is the true original but it was def a Wayne Smith vocal that debuted Sleng Teng...

I'm also a big fan of the Bullwackie's stuff. It was US made reggae in a pretty roots style but with more drum machines and synths as well as tradition instrumentation. Most of the Wackie's LPs are available on reissue, HardWax presses and distros them. These records are my fave reggae of any style or era.

Last edited by Reptil; 21st January 2013 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: trying to embed youtube links like a true n00b <moderator message: FIXXED ;-) please check the STICKY above how to... thanks>
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years

The only thing missing here is a sped-up Amen.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
That video of Cuddy rules! I've watched it more times than I can count.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well if you go a bit more towards the 90's some of the Dub oriented Reggae really goes way more electronic.
MadProfessor is a sampling and synth electronic GENIUS!!
Under the spell of Dub & Dubtronic are great CDs you can find used on Amazon cheap and will blow your mind,lol! Scratch Perry is on some of these tracks as well.

Likewise Lee Scratch Perry's work more towards the 90's was more sampling and synth oriented and totally amazing! After he came out of one of his retirements he stopped using bands and decided he preferred creating his music midi/electronically.
Panic in Babylon is an amazing CD I also found used on Amazon,that will give you an taste of the Genius Scratch Perry is,a truly unique artist.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
http://www.discogs.com/Carlton-Livin...release/573786

I don't know much about 80s reggae other than this track is amazing. Youtube link is bottom right.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While not Jamaican(Guyana), Eddy Grant had the growly bassline to end all basslines with the single Electric Avenue. I can't believe something this political had such success:

I can also hear how this influenced dancehall
Old 21st January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
oh wauw another bunch of great music I didn't know yet

a bit more mainstream but a TIMELESS track for dancefloors.
(if this doesn't work, then they're already dead )
Old 21st January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
hahahaha
second time today my post crossed with someone at exactly the same time, posting the same heh
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Obviously there's the Casio phenomenon, the Sleng Teng spinoffs etc. But don't overlook FIREHOUSE studio in Jamaica, owned by King Tubby but used by him infrequently in later life. In the latter days of King Tubby, a lot of hard electronic drum machine and synth rhythms came from there. Jah Shaka made some stuff at Firehouse and brought this to the UK - there are albums full of this stuff. Also don't forget Augustus Pablo and his Casio CZ. Or Steely and Clevie and their hybrid electronic rhythms. There's a lot of Jamaican electronic reggae stuff from the 80s.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Which Casio were all the dub guys using? I remember it being a little grey one? Don't know the model tho
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmethough ➑️
Which Casio were all the dub guys using? I remember it being a little grey one? Don't know the model tho
MT-40. Sleng Teng is just a preset on that. There are a few other rhythms that did the rounds, made with that keyboard's auto-accompaniment.

Last edited by ZutaoElectronic; 21st January 2013 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDKb4O-l02U

quite a popular 80's tune.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I don't think it's a stretch to say that most mid-80s rhythms produced by Jah Shaka have a DX7 in them. It's a hallmark of British reggae from that period. If you like this sort of stuff you're in luck:

Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sly & Robbie!

Not to mention their production for Grace Jones, Tom Tom Club etc...

Last edited by jizmatron; 21st January 2013 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: make utube work
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Getta hold of Prince Jammy 'Computerized Dub' album, doesn't get anymore 'electronic' than that for that time period.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks guys. i wasnt feeling the sleng teng or cutty ranks so much.
electric avenues a classic. i didnt know time warp until now, but this is basically a Kebekelektrik rip off. (so yes, i like this too) i heard the augustus pablo casio cz stuff a while ago and really liked it.
steely and clevie is cool. check out this video:
Steelie and Clevie - YouTube
so it seems to me like they mostly used that horrible old casio mt-40 and then moved on to yamaha dx synths. did anyone in jamaica use classic analog synths? or were they not available there, or just not of interest when they were sold?
thanks
mini
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They were too poor for that. Big analog synths were for affluent Europeans.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️

The only thing missing here is a sped-up Amen.
Equipment list please...

The thing that looks like a mixer with those macaroni knobs first?
Old 22nd January 2013
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn that Cutty Ranks cut is fire! Looking him up right now...
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mad Professor's back catalogue is enormous. I like the dub versions he was making in the early 80s at Ariwa, especially the robot-themed stuff. That stuff was cold, aggressive and relentless. Later on his signature motifs became sampled and pitched voices, and a phaser through the hats.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZutaoElectronic ➑️
Mad Professor's back catalogue is enormous. I like the dub versions he was making in the early 80s at Ariwa, especially the robot-themed stuff. That stuff was cold, aggressive and relentless. Later on his signature motifs became sampled and pitched voices, and a phaser through the hats.
can I have an example of this cold an relentless robot stuff? cant imagine dub sounding like that, sounds interesting!
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmethough ➑️
can I have an example of this cold an relentless robot stuff? cant imagine dub sounding like that, sounds interesting!
Unfortunately I no longer have those records. One of them was called something like Robot Dub Orchestra (roughly). That stuff was brilliant - very metallic. But there was a mind-blowing track in particular that I remember: a version of Exodus. I'll try and find it on the internet and link back.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I love the Mad Professor. I never really think of any of the Jamaican dub stuff as electronic. Elements crept in, but it's just great music to chill to!
I would love to find out that there was some serious electronic reggae going on, but I do think the financial aspect probably makes it unlikely (at least in the 70's)
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here's the one! @dlmorley you're right, Mad Professor is British dub reggae really.

Elektro Robotic Dub Orchestra.wmv - YouTube

I got my dub ears from British sound system culture so never heard dub reggae as calming/soporific. Therefore for me, the more chaos/madness in it, the better. Which is why this track wins.
πŸ“ Reply