Quantcast
Why is electronica still in the shadow of x0x boxes? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is electronica still in the shadow of x0x boxes?
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #121
Gear Maniac
 
ZutaoElectronic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➑️
bull
Care to elaborate? The majority view is that RB-338 is historically important because it brought the power of all those 808, 909 and 303 sounds into the hands of bedroom producers. Take a look at this:

Rebirth Museum
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #122
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZutaoElectronic ➑️
"it brought the power of all those 808, 909 and 303 sounds into the hands of bedroom producers."


Old 23rd January 2013
  #123
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's the gratuitous attachment of subjective value - "intelligent" - that's obnoxious. Musical terms should be descriptive and derived from objective facts about the music, like a place, a time, or even structural aspects. At the very least, they should NOT derive from emotional value qualifiers or some random non-producing music journalist's superiority complex. Why don't we make a genre called "da best" or "good." Silly. To be fair, most people whom I've spoken with who talk about liking IDM have about as much knowledge of electronic music as people who say they're into EDM or dubstep or some other genre that would indicate recently developed casual knowledge of electronic music, which is OK when they don't act like they're the sh*t to your face. It's that subset of IDM jerks who think they've arrived and look down their noses at all other music for no other reason than they buy into the marketing. Next week it'll be some other "genre." But they'll probably be that way no matter what they listen to or what it's called. They wanna call it IDM because it makes them feel good, whatever.
This should be an unblockable pop-up when people start to fight over genres
Old 23rd January 2013
  #124
Gear Maniac
 
ZutaoElectronic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
RB-338 was used by some famous once-cool 'bands', if they can be called that. I can't remember the names of any of them offhand. But for me anyway, having found RB-338 only a couple of years ago long after the bandwagon passed, I think it's a great piece of software. I don't want to sound boastful but in my hands, most things have a good chance of ending up sounding great. Nevertheless RB-338 is something I would regard as an excellent softsynth.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #125
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
the whole IDM flap is a bit of an embarrassment. the origins are in the Warp "Artificial Intellegence Series." A listserv mailing list was created to talk about music that was in the vein of the release in that series, and some computer nerds (and I mean that is a positive way) chose a poor name for the list, I presume rather innocently. IDM then became a bit of a genre name for the music that was discussed there. The fact that such a distinction made it ok to talk about "dance music" in *cough* ahem, "whiter" and nerdier society, combined with the power of the early internet made the music more accessible for consumption by relatively privileged teenagers. There was more than a few negative ramifications. That's all history.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #126
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZutaoElectronic ➑️
RB-338 was used by some famous once-cool 'bands', if they can be called that. I can't remember the names of any of them offhand. But for me anyway, having found RB-338 only a couple of years ago long after the bandwagon passed, I think it's a great piece of software. I don't want to sound boastful but in my hands, most things have a good chance of ending up sounding great. Nevertheless RB-338 is something I would regard as an excellent softsynth.
sure it is.. but it forces the users into primitve 1 bar pattrns making the otherwse great ssoundsgeneric.. a software company getting rhich by exploiting genres ruthlessly whitout contributing to the culture. stealing from the mmusicans..setting a trend that leaded to a situation wher the whole world makes money with techno except the people that really do it.

the ruthless criminals responsible for that should burn in hell

in any case you dont know whether you can ride the real machines just by managing rebirth because there is plenty you can do with the real stuff you cant do with rebirth... you learn maybe 50%
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #127
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➑️
the whole IDM flap is a bit of an embarrassment. the origins are in the Warp "Artificial Intellegence Series." A listserv mailing list was created to talk about music that was in the vein of the release in that series, and some computer nerds (and I mean that is a positive way) chose a poor name for the list, I presume rather innocently. IDM then became a bit of a genre name for the music that was discussed there. The fact that such a distinction made it ok to talk about "dance music" in *cough* ahem, "whiter" and nerdier society, combined with the power of the early internet made the music more accessible for consumption by relatively privileged teenagers. There was more than a few negative ramifications. That's all history.
reality was rather that techno had such a bad name at the time that you couldnt tell that you are doing it without getting the image of a moron... quiete like today. but was quite a pain in the ass.. everybody tried to make techno that avoided the dance floor
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #128
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➑️
reality was rather that techno had such a bad name at the time that you couldnt tell that you are doing it without getting the image of a moron... quiete like today. but was quite a pain in the ass.. everybody tried to make techno that avoided the dance floor
point... what was going on in Europe at that time was entirely different from what was happening in the USA. 2 unlimited never made a spash in the states, and so even the term 'techno' was pretty foreign to people outside of places where there were real regional scenes. It was probably more likely to bring up the image of Kraftwerk than Smurfschranz or Snap.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #129
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➑️
shut up n dance newbi
Lol. Thanks for answering my question. I always wondered if something was wrong with my 303, and I didn't know anyone else with one to check.
Old 23rd January 2013
  #130
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Just returning from a DUMBO multimedia outing where a DJ spun highly intelligent IDM and I shared a glass of Le Montrachet with a platonic acquaintance as we pondered fractional generalization of the Newell-Whitehead-Segal equation, spoiled only by the fact that I spilled some Low Heat Sous Vide lemongrass Jus Gras on my partner's Helmut Lang-inspired fair trade non-toxic organic cashmere shall. In summation, sine quao non, dance music has long since cast off its embarrassing origins.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #131
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➑️
The fact that such a distinction made it ok to talk about "dance music" in *cough* ahem, "whiter" and nerdier society, combined with the power of the early internet made the music more accessible for consumption by relatively privileged teenagers. There was more than a few negative ramifications. That's all history.
basically sums up why I don't listen most Kompakt or boring minimal.

In my demented sometimes easily offended mind.. I find it "racist" or "classist". Like when you meet someone from Boston here in Chicago,.. and they sorta frown their eyes at you when you warn them about a bad neighborhood... as if you're the racist.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #132
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
Just returning from a DUMBO multimedia outing where a DJ spun highly intelligent IDM and I shared a glass of Le Montrachet with a platonic acquaintance as we pondered fractional generalization of the Newell-Whitehead-Segal equation, spoiled only by the fact that I spilled some Low Heat Sous Vide lemongrass Jus Gras on my partner's Helmut Lang-inspired fair trade non-toxic organic cashmere shall. In summation, sine quao non, dance music has long since cast off its embarrassing origins.
Lol. At least we knew how to use punctuation. But that was a great sentence, I give you that.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #133
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I still love Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➑️


Old 23rd January 2013
  #134
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I always kind of saw the early days warp guys as the logical extension of what they were doing in Detroit. Heady and futuristic yet still very musical sounding and well informed on the past. Of course, towards the 2000s that whole thing disappeared up its own *** and produced basically the minimal crowd, as you say. But I still think the early stuff was very unique and sort of free from the xox curse
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #135
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➑️
2 unlimited never made a spash in the states, and so even the term 'techno' was pretty foreign to people outside of places where there were real regional scenes.
2 things:

1: This is bull. By the beginning of 2 Unlimited (91/92), the techno rave phenomenon in Europe was already publicized in far flung corners of the US (Alaska, in my case). "Get Ready" was 38 on the Top 100 in the US and made rotation in clubs and radio. It was on all the goofy "100% Rave" type comps at regular mall CD stores in the "Techno" or "Rave" section. Euro techno was also on some bass car comps which were huge at the time.

2: 2 Unlimited may have been popular but they were also extremely corny and didn't know techno from polka. I have a soft spot for them and their kind because they are a part of how I got started as a DJ, but by their second album (No Limit, 93) many of us in the US that had been turned on to house and techno through the media panic over raves had moved on to much less embarrassing dance music. Anyway, hell of a group to namedrop.

Europeans/Brits don't seem to get this: techno/rave wasn't unknown to the poor clueless Americans, it's just that MOST OF THEM DIDN'T LIKE IT. And with imports like 2 Unlimited, is it any wonder?
Old 24th January 2013
  #136
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
LOL 2 Unlimited, played at every single basketball game in the 90's.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #137
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Most people would not know who they are tho... even if they've heard 1000X more than I have.

only cracked into dance radio here.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #138
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB ➑️
Europeans/Brits don't seem to get this: techno/rave wasn't unknown to the poor clueless Americans, it's just that MOST OF THEM DIDN'T LIKE IT. And with imports like 2 Unlimited, is it any wonder?
Are these the clueless Americans who burned Disco records in public protests?

B
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #139
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➑️
Are these the clueless Americans who burned Disco records in public protests?

B
hell no. if theese would have known about house music there would have been lynching
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #140
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➑️
Are these the clueless Americans who burned Disco records in public protests?

B
There are many interesting parallels between "disco sucks" and sucky techno.

Techno and house didn't break into the national mainstream in the US until they went overseas and came back whitewashed (and straightwashed). I feel that this is a remnant of the backlash against the freedoms of the disco era. Also the leftover handwringing about the "decadence" and "hedonism" of the rave movement were also part of that (older square Americans who had "partaken" when disco was popular).
Old 24th January 2013
  #141
Lives for gear
 
initself's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➑️
In before AudioConsult.
+1
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #142
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB ➑️
There are many interesting parallels between "disco sucks" and sucky techno.
This is right. The actual creative vs. the mainstream rip off and the lag between the phenomenon and general public awareness.

B
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #143
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
Just returning from a DUMBO multimedia outing where a DJ spun highly intelligent IDM and I shared a glass of Le Montrachet with a platonic acquaintance as we pondered fractional generalization of the Newell-Whitehead-Segal equation, spoiled only by the fact that I spilled some Low Heat Sous Vide lemongrass Jus Gras on my partner's Helmut Lang-inspired fair trade non-toxic organic cashmere shall. In summation, sine quao non, dance music has long since cast off its embarrassing origins.
LOL WHAT. For a minute I thought I was reading an omitted line from American Psycho. Brilliant.
Old 24th January 2013
  #144
Lives for gear
 
initself's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZutaoElectronic ➑️
Care to elaborate? The majority view is that RB-338 is historically important because it brought the power of all those 808, 909 and 303 sounds into the hands of bedroom producers. Take a look at this:

Rebirth Museum
Im not sure there are any commercially successful tracks using Rebirth.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #145
Gear Maniac
 
ZutaoElectronic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by initself ➑️
Im not sure there are any commercially successful tracks using Rebirth.
Depends how you measure commercial success, but they were made and they sold, especially in the drum and bass genre. If I recall correctly, you just load up Rebirth and one of the demos, including a mod, was made by one of those bands. But really, I don't want to keep going on about bloody Rebirth. To me although it's fun it's just a toy. For God's sake don't look at me and think 'oh that's the Rebirth guy'. I have nothing at stake in that program other than having mastered it rather well. I have a fetishistic interest in all standalone softsynths, including Sawcutter and Dreamstation (the latter would be perfect if it worked). Rebirth is just one of the better standalones out there. When I'm serious I use hardware synths (either FM or a certain mid-90s Yamaha tone generator module) and mix them with some acoustic instruments. No in-the-box business.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #146
Gear Maniac
 
jackyNIX's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZutaoElectronic ➑️
Depends how you measure commercial success, but they were made and they sold, especially in the drum and bass genre. If I recall correctly, you just load up Rebirth and one of the demos, including a mod, was made by one of those bands.
But that doesn't mean the original released track was made using rebirth.

For instance, one of the included demo songs was made by Hardfloor, but that was just a cutdown rebirth version of one of their previously released tracks. They did that demo song on propellerhead's demand. Hardfloor had the real machinery back then.

That does remind me of a Hardfloor live gig I went to back in the days. Only 20 people showed up, but it was aciiiiiiiiid heh
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 333 views: 70239
Avatar for JimmyBoyZ
JimmyBoyZ 15th February 2020
replies: 17 views: 1360
Avatar for Esemjayes
Esemjayes 15th April 2016
replies: 185 views: 18735
Avatar for wedok
wedok 9th March 2017
replies: 7443 views: 854963
Avatar for KomaBot
KomaBot 16 minutes ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump