Quantcast
Why is electronica still in the shadow of x0x boxes? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is electronica still in the shadow of x0x boxes?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
??? cant you read? i said proper and not crap. But in the mid 90´s it had become hard work to find the proper stuff allready.. not so extreme as now.but it became work to find original records
yeah, I could see that... me I was 16 and able to smoke in the record.. loved getting ripped and just grabbing a huge stack of records to spend my lunch money.

but yeah - you're post before was a bit mindboggling to read.. since I usually agree with you 95% of the time. You might have been sleepy...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
My favourite is Hardfloor and their Robert Armani/Circus Bells remix. Boy, did that climb a dancefloor up and up in stages.....

Robert Armani - Circus Bells (Hardfloor Remix) (1993) - YouTube
Thanks for the link. Wow, never heard a tuba for bass in dance music before But you have to hear it in context, like it was when it was new.

B
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Tuba?

Think that's a 303.. same bass sound for Ambulance.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Too much for what? Will the 'audience' care. Perhaps not. But then I do this primarily for myself, and in that respect it makes ALL the difference. YMMV
Mr Karloff you rock!

Like you I do this for myself!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
if you have any respect for yourself and others.. assume the audience cares.. cares more than maybe even you.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Whenever x0x is discussed, I always have to think about this guy. He set Brussels on fire in the early 90's, but is still going today.

Acid Kirk
(first clip of 7)

Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
"Electronica"
Personally...i always felt that word should take the position that the word "IDM" has. I mean, "Intelligent Dance Music"? what does that mean? that THIS is intelligent and everything else is just meh? Never liked the name TBH, but i liked the idea of changing it...from "IDM" to "Electronica" sounds more pleasing to my ears IMHO.

Quote:
I am not sure I truly understand why it matters if one prefers a box from the days of old.
I think its all in the "history of the machine" association...but still, some of those things sounded good. To this day, i cant get the sound of a 303 out of my head. I cant explain it in detail why i like the sound so much, and i didnt grow up with it really...its in these last year and a half, i would say, that ive come to adore that squelchy box. Still, i wouldnt shelf out $2000+ for one (unless i had money to burn, which i dont), but i can get the same level of love out of the newer machines (like x0xb0x, Bassline3, TT 303, a few VST's).

Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rebirth-338 yet. It's important because it was hugely popular and accessible, giving rise to heaps of new same-y music of the 'acid house' type. Anyone can have a go at playing with an 'x0x' with that program. If you can't make something good with RB-338 or one of the other clones, you probably wouldn't be able to do much better with real x0x gear. Not to mention that the very existence of RB-338 means it's not going to be possible any more for someone to do something really ingenious with the x0x sound. It still sounds very good but a lot less surprising.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I owned a tb-303 and rebirth at the same time and I created the same sequences on both just for a laugh. Rebirth sounded better (because of the overdrive, which the tb-303 lacked) and you could sequence the software 303 better. For example, when you got to the end of the 13 note sequence on the tb-303, you can't tie to the first note as the sequence repeats. But in rebirth you can.

Still wouldn't mind owning a tb-303 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZutaoElectronic ➡️
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rebirth-338 yet. It's important because it was hugely popular and accessible, giving rise to heaps of new same-y music of the 'acid house' type. Anyone can have a go at playing with an 'x0x' with that program. If you can't make something good with RB-338 or one of the other clones, you probably wouldn't be able to do much better with real x0x gear. Not to mention that the very existence of RB-338 means it's not going to be possible any more for someone to do something really ingenious with the x0x sound. It still sounds very good but a lot less surprising.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon Cube ➡️
Personally...i always felt that word should take the position that the word "IDM" has. I mean, "Intelligent Dance Music"? what does that mean? that THIS is intelligent and everything else is just meh? Never liked the name TBH, but i liked the idea of changing it...from "IDM" to "Electronica" sounds more pleasing to my ears IMHO.
It's the gratuitous attachment of subjective value - "intelligent" - that's obnoxious. Musical terms should be descriptive and derived from objective facts about the music, like a place, a time, or even structural aspects. At the very least, they should NOT derive from emotional value qualifiers or some random non-producing music journalist's superiority complex. Why don't we make a genre called "da best" or "good." Silly. To be fair, most people whom I've spoken with who talk about liking IDM have about as much knowledge of electronic music as people who say they're into EDM or dubstep or some other genre that would indicate recently developed casual knowledge of electronic music, which is OK when they don't act like they're the sh*t to your face. It's that subset of IDM jerks who think they've arrived and look down their noses at all other music for no other reason than they buy into the marketing. Next week it'll be some other "genre." But they'll probably be that way no matter what they listen to or what it's called. They wanna call it IDM because it makes them feel good, whatever.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
As a record nerd, to me the word "electronica" is akin to "exotica".

Exotica records were fakey "ethnic styled" pop records made by clueless squares aping the music of brown-skined peoples they never met. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I never minded the 'electronica' umbrella so much as EDM. But then again, I'm also not the kind of person that gets all fiercely defensive just because they refer to all electronica (oh yeah, I'm making it a thing now!) as techno.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond ➡️
I owned a tb-303 and rebirth at the same time and I created the same sequences on both just for a laugh. Rebirth sounded better (because of the overdrive, which the tb-303 lacked) and you could sequence the software 303 better. For example, when you got to the end of the 13 note sequence on the tb-303, you can't tie to the first note as the sequence repeats. But in rebirth you can.

Still wouldn't mind owning a tb-303 again.
sure you can.. all the bull talking about the 303 from people that havent really used it..

all emus miss vital functions because the developers dont know the 303 either..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZutaoElectronic ➡️
bull
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
Tuba?

Think that's a 303.. same bass sound for Ambulance.
the 303 is the trumpet of electronic music
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My favourite is Hardfloor and their Robert Armani/Circus Bells remix. Boy, did that climb a dancefloor up and up in stages.....

Robert Armani - Circus Bells (Hardfloor Remix) (1993) - YouTube
hardfloor was more a trance than an acid track.#

this was good acid house for me..

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
sure you can.. all the bull talking about the 303 from people that havent really used it..
Well if you have a 303 there I would love you to try it. I bet you don't even use the tie function, or own a 303; its far more likely that you hallucinated it once when you were on acid.

Talking about acid, you didn't develop a Jesus complex in the 90's did you from too much acid? I heard it could persist as a mental disorder. Do your eyes wobble when you look in the mirror? Yes, do run off and check.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond ➡️
Well if you have a 303 there I would love you to try it. I bet you don't even use the tie function, or own a 303; its far more likely that you hallucinated it once when you were on acid.

Talking about acid, you didn't develop a Jesus complex in the 90's did you from too much acid? I heard it could persist as a mental disorder. Do your eyes wobble when you look in the mirror? Yes, do run off and check.
shut up n dance newbi
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
shut up n dance newbi
and you set a slide on the first step to tie with the last
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hardfloor was more a trance than an acid track.#

this was good acid house for me..

Nice track. Love the Casio organ. One of my favourite drug sounds ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
and you set a slide on the first step to tie with the last
This is accurate as the slide function effects the beginning of the next note, not the note it is on.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➡️
This is accurate as the slide function effects the beginning of the next note, not the note it is on.
yup even i know this ha ha ha

But seriously nothing sounds like a 303!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
actually it wasnt.. so the last step gets a slide to tie with the first.. in any case you can tie around the loop borders

anyway.. chonder boy made a real ridicolous claim to call the 1 bar cripple sequencer of rebirth superior to the original design.. actualy sad that swedish programmers ( that are else wise brilliant) have difficulties to think beyond 1 bar chemes.. must be a cultural thing.. also clavia and elektron needed to be pushed a little to ease multibar sequencing while even oldest japanese designs do 100reds of bars if necessary
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
actually it wasnt.. so the last step gets a slide to tie with the first.. in any case you can tie around the loop borders

So you're saying that the last step is the only one that gets a note off slide? So it slides twice? Or does the first note not slide at the beginning when the last one does? It's been awhile.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammytaters ➡️
This forum is mostly about people objectifying their synths, not making music. ..
Everytime I see someone write this kind of arrogant one-liner, I know they're projecting, and speaking about themselves.

But you're right insofar as this is a gear and production forum.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
when there wouldnt have been some propper stuff all thr time we wouldnt still talk about it. but in 95 it became allready hard to find the pearls within thr crap and we had plenty of commercial and generic crap. than it died and got reborn just to become as corrupted again.. just inovation gets lower and lower..so no surprise that xox based production still rules in a world of preset fakes
It's true.

I remember back with anguish to what happened to the electronic scene in Europe. At some point, the bleaced tank-top work-out guys with neon-cars started coming to the (goa) raves, flexing it. Until then, it was a chilled post-hippie fest, lots of love, and it felt intimate and free of all the wanna-be yuppie bull-****, or the competetions about whoes Pioneer car-stereo played the loudest sub-bass-types, and who could swell the most lager.

I blame the Dutch scene especially (no personal offense to any Dutch people here - Danes will have to take their share of the burden too!!) which really brought out the infantile in a steady 4/4 beat. **** got mass-produced by computer-programmers (hardly musicians) at that point, and I'm not surprised Techno-Smurfs went number 1 in holland in the mid-90ies. Same mind-numbing kind of bull-**** happened in Denmark, I'm sure it added to the downfall of the music-biz, it was so transparent and worth-less, in a literal sense.

And when Euro-dance came the flex-types had the gall to call it trance!!! We were livid, but it sucked out the energy, and the scene fell apart. Yea, it was pretty bitter. I left the scene and found relief with Beck, Sonic youth etc., not the electronic scene. Except for a few cross-over acts like Underworld, Massive Attack etc. The serious electronic musicians, even if they incorporated vocals.

PS: Whoever is auto-down-thumbing Audioconsult needs to grow up. If you disagree with him, explain why he's wrong. Grow a spine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So you're saying that the last step is the only one that gets a note off slide? So it slides twice? Or does the first note not slide at the beginning when the last one does? It's been awhile.
the slide is happenimg after the note it is set on..ties to the next 16th note and does the pitch glide between them.. as soon these notes are on the same pitch its just a tie an not a slide.

the xoxbox capitalizes on this to eliminate the tie function totaly
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➡️
PS: Whoever is auto-down-thumbing Audioconsult needs to grow up. If you disagree with him, prove him wrong.
downthumping? i thought this is the inbuild dick competition..you click on the right side when you are sure that yours is way smaller..or?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Something like that, I guess :D

Though I actually used it a couple of times, when it was for a reason! E.g. the guy who claimed that the new MS-20 was only produced for Japan got my thumbs down for deliberate trolling, as he explained he jus was just having 'fun'.

Altogether, I'm not sure what the purpose is though..
📝 Reply