Quantcast
Why is electronica still in the shadow of x0x boxes? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is electronica still in the shadow of x0x boxes?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Chicago.
I heard house/techno earlier .. didn't really catch my ear.

Boo Williams
Glenn Underground
Paul Johnson
Roy Davis Jr.
Green Velvet
Frankie Bones
Damon Wild
Steve Stoll
Cari Lekebusch (FRED)

these were the main staples to me.. to name a few.
Old 22nd January 2013
Deleted User
This forum is mostly about people objectifying their synths, not making music. Anyway, Electronica is not in the shadow of x0x. You are just listening to old stuff or mainstream stations. If you are not making progress then its your fault. When I make sound its something I've never done before.

The roland x0x boxes are closed systems. They have limited sound capabilities. It is up to the user to make the sum more than the parts. People have already done that really, but its not like there is a law saying you can't use the sounds again.

Its probably true most of the people seeking these instruments are not really giving them life or making good music. I don't listen to bad music so I have nothing to complain about.

If you don't like the x0x sound then I recommend a eurorack or some kind of open system. Really, the modern laptop is the ultimate music creation tool that knows no boundaries. If you want to sit around and talk about old gear then thats what this forum is here for. I just don't think music is stuck.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No one has made anything better since.

Sad but true. Same goes for certain classic samplers.

If a company made a new drum machine that made an 808 sound weak and was even more of a snap to use I would be so happy.

Hasn't happened.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammytaters ➡️
If you want to sit around and talk about old gear then thats what this forum is here for. I just don't think music is stuck.
Would you like to post an example of something you personally regard as new and inspirational? Preferably not anything from the `witchaus' genre. I looked at some of that this week and its just early 90's jungle put to the grossest videos known to humankind.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
Chicago.
I heard house/techno earlier .. didn't really catch my ear.

Boo Williams
Glenn Underground
Paul Johnson
Roy Davis Jr.
Green Velvet
Frankie Bones
Damon Wild
Steve Stoll
Cari Lekebusch (FRED)

these were the main staples to me.. to name a few.

when there wouldnt have been some propper stuff all thr time we wouldnt still talk about it. but in 95 it became allready hard to find the pearls within thr crap and we had plenty of commercial and generic crap. than it died and got reborn just to become as corrupted again.. just inovation gets lower and lower..so no surprise that xox based production still rules in a world of preset fakes
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
???

you think all the names I listed are crap?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➡️
Electronica is something like 40 years old and yet we're still talking about Roland drum machines and Akai samplers. Seems like pure techno goodness dripped from these machines without any effort, yet today with software or amazing boutique hardware it all sounds so lame.

My journey into synth poverty was in the '90s. This was when manufacturers promised you the world with romplers yet they could not sound anything like the techno I wanted to make. Things have improved now with gear designed to sound like techno. But the mojo is hard to capture. Seems like we are looking back at a golden age all the time.

Great techno and acid is being make right now, minimal techno is making stuff with new gear and not having to sound like a detroit bootleg. But that SOUND of tape distortion, mixing desk distortion, noise and deliberate crap in the background - that stuff takes more care and production than the up front drum kits and synth notes.

Seems that we are still stuck chasing something from the past.

B
this reminds me of that thread I made a couple months ago about electronic music being stuck in the past
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond ➡️
Would you like to post an example of something you personally regard as new and inspirational? Preferably not anything from the `witchaus' genre. I looked at some of that this week and its just early 90's jungle put to the grossest videos known to humankind.
Here is a random smattering of music in my playlist. None of it very easily falls into a category. There are shades of boogie funk, hip hop, rap, house, techno, latin freestyle, jungle, drum and bass, dubstep, ambient, and everything else you can imagine. Plenty of cameos from old school machines, as well as liberal exercise of modern sampling and sound design techniques. I find it inspiring that none of this music could be reasonably placed in a period prior to 2000, probably even 2010. I think the defining quality in any memorable contemporary electronica is the irreverence and disregard for strict genre motifs, you might even say naiveté in some cases.

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for taking the trouble to post these, I appreciate it and I listened to them. To be honest there's nothing new there that you couldn't find in the 90's. I'm not the greatest with giving genres to songs, but this is how I heard them:

ambient
hip hop
chill out (very nice chill out)
house
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If anyone hear can help me understand why it even matters what you use to make your music I will gladly listen to you?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
this reminds me of that thread I made a couple months ago about electronic music being stuck in the past
Hence why there's a bunch of "90's whiners" in the cracks of these nerd forums.. the 90's was an era of genuine post-modernism. Yes, we looked a bit to the past for inspiration but.. there was zero nostalgia for it. If anything you kind of laughed at it and then made it right.

Everything is too retro now... we've sorta lost the plot. When I hear most of the new or "pitchfork" music... It just sounds like society as a whole is pretty bored to me.. So I usually have to go back to music that sounded either more exciting or emotional.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravan ➡️
I think the defining quality in any memorable contemporary electronica is the irreverence and disregard for strict genre motifs, you might even say naiveté in some cases.
I find that an interesting thought, thank you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the 90's was an era of genuine post-modernism. Yes, we looked a bit to the past for inspiration but.. there was zero nostalgia for it. If anything you kind of laughed at it and then made it right.
yes. -94 everything so fresh. When we started to make techno/trance at that time there was no nostalgia as everything was brand new. But that didn't last long. In -99 i was already into "oldschool" sound and i meant sound of 94/95.

That's why i like "brostep" as it just sounds what it is and not something from the past and no x0x nostalgia. Old farts hate Skrillex for that
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hence why there's a bunch of "90's whiners" in the cracks of these nerd forums.. the 90's was an era of genuine post-modernism. Yes, we looked a bit to the past for inspiration but.. there was zero nostalgia for it. If anything you kind of laughed at it and then made it right.

Everything is too retro now... we've sorta lost the plot. When I hear most of the new or "pitchfork" music... It just sounds like society as a whole is pretty bored to me.. So I usually have to go back to music that sounded either more exciting or emotional.
I agree with you. You are also very right everything is far to retro now, but it was bound to happen given we are more then 30 years or so since some of these machine were first made and released.
I am not a 90's whiner however I really love those old Roland boxes and it is not a matter of wanting to be cool or hip but I really like the sound. I also love the sound of my Machinedrum and the Blofeld and i do not place limits or barriers around what I use to make a sound and some music.

I will gladly purchase a new synth today be it or old or new, digital or analog.
Any way my point is it does not matter, a bit of gear does not define who you are as an artist, it is what comes from inside.
I do not understand the whole what type synth for this type of music threads
Sure some synths will always be favored over others for a particular sound however a decent programmer will pull of any sound he wants from any type of synth he likes or prefers.

Don't get me wrong i am a sucker for gear but what one decides to use to make their sound with should not matter not even in the slightest. If you master your soft synth and it happens to be Sylenth well respect to you.
If it happens to be a TB-303 well that is fine also.
It should not matter and it does not matter.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i never knew acid was sooo popular, i always hear it mentioned, but i have never in my real life ever run into anyone who ever heard of it much less liked it, even less who made it,
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy ➡️
i never knew acid was sooo popular, i always hear it mentioned, but i have never in my real life ever run into anyone who ever heard of it much less liked it, even less who made it,
I like acid but then again what I define as acid music is really me playing with those knobs on a tb-303.
If this is acid well then I am a sucker for it, I just call it techno if it needs to have a name, preferably I wish genres did not exist.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy ➡️
Acid House, in its infancy, is pretty cool.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i have listened to some of it, i like it actually, , i am just basing it on that ishkars guide, but acid trance seems pretty cool,

i just meant it seems like its influence is really big, but its just a mystery why,,, at least to me, not that its bad music or anything like that.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➡️
I do not understand the whole what type synth for this type of music threads
Sure some synths will always be favored over others for a particular sound however a decent programmer will pull of any sound he wants from any type of synth he likes or prefers.

Don't get me wrong i am a sucker for gear but what one decides to use to make their sound with should not matter not even in the slightest. If you master your soft synth and it happens to be Sylenth well respect to you.
If it happens to be a TB-303 well that is fine also.
It should not matter and it does not matter.
On your first point I'd say you can't make hard rock with a classical guitar. Basically the tonality of a synth can make a difference (as it has an emotional imprint/connotation to go with it), but yes like you say in your second point, WHICH tones one chooses to express with is open season at best. Whatever sounds like the music in your head that wants out.

Obviously this only applies if a) there IS music of a specific flavour in your head that wants out....and b) you can tell the tones of synths apart enough to decide one being closer to your vision than another. Plus this will change depending on a project as opposed to being absolute for a person.

It's painting with fine colour blends. Doesn't mean you can't make a superb piece of art grabbing any old pen though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
There is likely a perception of there not being much of an edge in today's reality to feed off and make into edgy, interesting music, but I disagree. Just I don't think people see it, as they're too busy going on Facebook or serial dating the entirety of match.com or overdosing on whatever other thing in the race to get away from their own wrongness.

Everyone check this here ****, this should get you wide awake and inspired:

YouTube

There is plenty in today's world to inspire open minded creative beauty, but one has to slow down enough to connect with it, and most people rush past it every day.

Nice!
A.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
???

you think all the names I listed are crap?
??? cant you read? i said proper and not crap. But in the mid 90´s it had become hard work to find the proper stuff allready.. not so extreme as now.but it became work to find original records
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➡️
Acid House, in its infancy, is pretty cool.
except of the comercial acid hype in the late 80´s ther was n own acidgenre.. but singular acid tracks.. not necessarily with a 303..rather defined by a certain edgy funk.. most tracks was more a refference to the past or tools.and not very exciting or just 303 tranmce or other bozo work...
but getting it manged to get an original acid track done is a hit guaranty still.

but difficult task..therefore it never became an own subgenre.. but when a dj manages to play 3 of this outstanding tracks in a row he seriously burns the floor.. just hard for the dj directly after.. most tracks appear a little lame in comparison to an acid burner
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
except of the comercial acid hype in the late 80´s ther was n own acidgenre.. but singular acid tracks.. not necessarily with a 303..rather defined by a certain edgy funk.. most tracks was more a refference to the past or tools.and not very exciting or just 303 tranmce or other bozo work...
but getting it manged to get an original acid track done is a hit guaranty still.

but difficult task..therefore it never became an own subgenre.. but when a dj manages to play 3 of this outstanding tracks in a row he seriously burns the floor.. just hard for the dj directly after.. most tracks appear a little lame in comparison to an acid burner
Got an example of one of these burners? Acid house, specifically. I agree about early acid house, as I mentioned, in its infancy it was really good. But anything I have heard doesn't seem very club friendly because it's slower tempo than most club music. It's like the music you play in between sets to get people ready for the real energetic, uptempo stuff.

But I could be wrong, I don't really follow acid house anymore.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➡️
Got an example of one of these burners? Acid house, specifically. I agree about early acid house, as I mentioned, in its infancy it was really good. But anything I have heard doesn't seem very club friendly because it's slower tempo than most club music. It's like the music you play in between sets to get people ready for the real energetic, uptempo stuff.

But I could be wrong, I don't really follow acid house anymore.
no..dixon played lately a hot one from the later 90´from ?? recoil? rechoice? no idea.. i think on the last josh wink album was a proper acid track. they are rare. easy to identify thou because they will make you dance..one day i ve to try to make a real acid track too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
no..dixon played lately a hot one from the later 90´from ?? recoil? rechoice? no idea.. i think on the last josh wink album was a proper acid track. they are rare. easy to identify thou because they will make you dance..one day i ve to try to make a real acid track too.
I think you'd be able to pull it off

And now you've inspired me to do the same, no 303 or 808 required. heh
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
My favourite is Hardfloor and their Robert Armani/Circus Bells remix. Boy, did that climb a dancefloor up and up in stages.....

http://youtu.be/eU0MGv0gYWM
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i think the interface of the particular instruments affect the way people use it to a laege degree, famous sounds that are presets practically become a genre, the roland drum machines worked a certain way, the mpcs too, that had a huge effect on the music,,, you can make killer drums on an fb01 or a dx7, but who would want to? its not as easy, so you play to the synths strengths,
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i said proper and not crap. But in the mid 90´s it had become hard work to find the proper stuff allready.. not so extreme as now.but it became work to find original records
to be honest, I find it easier to go out in the evening on a weekend, pick out an interesting looking person, and discover that they make decent music, then it is to go online, or go to a record store and find a track worth buying. This might only work in a big city, but still it reflects a seismic change in what's going on with the music industry today.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
On your first point I'd say you can't make hard rock with a classical guitar. Basically the tonality of a synth can make a difference (as it has an emotional imprint/connotation to go with it), but yes like you say in your second point, WHICH tones one chooses to express with is open season at best. Whatever sounds like the music in your head that wants out.

Obviously this only applies if a) there IS music of a specific flavour in your head that wants out....and b) you can tell the tones of synths apart enough to decide one being closer to your vision than another. Plus this will change depending on a project as opposed to being absolute for a person.

It's painting with fine colour blends. Doesn't mean you can't make a superb piece of art grabbing any old pen though.
oh for sure.
Some synths will always be favored over others for a particular style or genre.
But dont you think sometimes that we place to much emphasis on what gear we use? rather then just playing the music?
I am guilty of it.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➡️
oh for sure.
Some synths will always be favored over others for a particular style or genre.
But dont you think sometimes that we place to much emphasis on what gear we use? rather then just playing the music?
I am guilty of it.
Too much for what? Will the 'audience' care. Perhaps not. But then I do this primarily for myself, and in that respect it makes ALL the difference. YMMV
📝 Reply