Kurzweil PC3K - So I bought one - questions / thoughts - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kurzweil PC3K - So I bought one - questions / thoughts
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Kurzweil PC3K - So I bought one - questions / thoughts

Hey,

so I ordered a Kurzweil PC3K-7, which arrived yesterday.

Key action: vs. K6 (TP9x ? )
I like the thing so far, but am not happy with the key action.
And it's not that I just don't like weight - my fatar SL990 pro hammer action feels just fine.
But the TP8P inside the PC3K7 just feels rather uncomfortable to play, and it isn't good for piano nor synth stuff... ;-) I'm quite puzzled that some Kurzweil dude said in some forum that the PC3K will be the last to feature the lighter TP9(?) keys since the TP8P is "more versatile".
Well, I personally think they're good for nothing.

Now, I'm thinking of sending it back, in exchange for the, alas shorter PC3K-6 one, which is supposed to have lighter keys.
Thinking that, since I mostly use the gear at home anyway, I'll just use my Fatar MIDI controller for piano stuff, and the lighter K6 keys for synth & organ stuff then.
What do you think about this? Makes sense?

How would you describe the feel of the K6's keyboard?

And - which version of the TP-9 is it anyway?
Since on the Fatar site, there's also a TP9 version designated for "economic Piano", well, I've had enough cheap piano feel for now, I'm kinda afraid now that the K6 will just feel as bad - *if* it is that "piano" action TP9.
In these forums apparently people will often only discern "TP8" and "TP9", but that seems not to be accurate: there are both, Piano and Synth action variants of the TP8 as well, and then, a special Organ one.

The thing with that TP8P is, I can't comfortably play portamento stuff with it, it just feels like it's screaming "repetitive strain injury".
I do that even better on the hammer action board, lol! On the Juno-G this felt also nice, man, the keys are the only thing I miss about that thing.

I wish they just built the 6 octave PC3K versions also with lighter keys ;-)

Now, to the sound:
I'm a little disappointed here, for some reason, the stuff I was most excited about sounded better on youtube *g*
But maybe that's because I plugged my AKGs into the K7 now and hear every flaw...
Like, the Rhodes EP sounds often will have gross sampling artifacts on the lower end. I thought to myself "great, I could have kept the Kawai K4 for sounds like that"...
And the lower end has no punch at all, I guess the attack transients get smeared by the lack of low samples, hence the other sound artifacts.

On YT, with HD videos even, the whole 70's electromechanical section sounded so livelike and I was so gung ho to get one...

Also, the layering on the EPs is not exactly great. I've heard better done layering in some free SoundFont2 patches for SoundBlaster Live! from 2001.
I guess that's the price for providing > 1000 sounds with 128MB.

And, there are clearly audible differences between sections on the keyboard, with different loudness at same key velocity between the two bordering keys, as well as number of audible harmonics. That's annoying, what kind of beginners did this?

Some sounds have a strange higher frequency hissing added to them (like the one "The Doors" organ), it appears to me they should hire people with ears that haven't been on loud stages all too often for doing the preset work...

Many synth sounds have clearly audible aliasing for at least the upper 1/2 octave on the 73 key board. I don't know what today's standards are, but to me it seems embarrassing.
For that price anyway.

I really like all the string, harpsicord etc stuff, which makes up for the flaws a bit.
And then, I've heard really nice 3rd party patches at least for synth stuff, so there's an option for better sounds if needed...

The display
Often things on the display seem randomly partially underscored, is this a bug or a feature?
(I have not checked the firmware version.)

I've had one spontaneous reset of the device, but that might not have been its fault, I sort of thought I heard my stereo amp click when that happened (output relays), which would mean the mains had an interruption.

All in all, I think I'm goiing to keep a PC3K.
If the K6 keys will be better, that is...
The other option sounde-wise, Korg Krome, has such crappy keys that I stopped looking in that direction alltogether, and I sure don't want to spend the money for a Kronos...

I'm not sure if the price is justified sound wise. Then again, I don't know today's standards.
I like the all-metal case, I guess I wouldn't want a plastic thing to save money, if that's what contributes a lot to that pricetag.

Last edited by unshaven; 20th January 2013 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I hear you on the Rhodes sounds -- they're the weak point of the PC3 in my opinion. I've been trying to put together a Rhodes patch that doesn't have audible layer switching but I don't really have the VAST/sound design chops it takes.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Gear smell

By the way, is it only me...
The PC3K, or domething else out of the package, was rather smelly. As in, poisonous chemicals Made In China smelly.
Some would call it "new gear smell" or something, but since within the last 15 or so years, at least so to me it seams, things have gotten smellier, more long-term, to the point that new products even in the higher price ranges will cause head ache, scratchy throat, stuff like that.
And not few things stay so for months or even years.

With the PC3K7, it was the latter for me (scratchy throat).
But since the damn switch pedal that was in the box was soo extra aggressively smelly, I can't really tell how much the instrument itself was contributing to the bad air in the room.

I have sent it back for the bad key action, and am considering getting the 61 key version.
But... if that things will stink, too, literally, and impair my ability to sing b/c scratchy throat due to contaminated air, I can't have it here.

Can anyone who bought a PC3K comment on how long the smell / bad air will endure?

I'm afraid that, these days, trying another manufacturer's keyboard won't help here, all that sh1t stinks these days.
My my, how "grandpa" that sounds :-D

Last edited by unshaven; 30th January 2013 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Man, pretty rough review.

I've spent probably 100+ hours jamming on the PC3K they have at guitar center, and every time I leave, I'm always thinking to myself... "If I ever get a workstation, that's the one right there".

It seems overpriced, but I love the keybed and sounds personally.

Seems like you don't enjoy it so much...
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
K6 has a synth keybed, I wasn't fond of it. K7 is decent hybrid action for both synth work, organ, and pianos. I personally don't find anything wrong with it, I miss the weight though (that's why I have a K8).

Regarding EPs, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I mean there IS some discernible velocity switching, however those sounds are really REALLY playable and in live mix just sound spectacular. I would suggest adjusting velocity curve to suit your playing style, as this is quite important.

BTW PC3's ROM is 64 MB, not 128 MB. 128 MB is the additional flash ROM that you can store your own samples (including better Rhodes, if you will) to.

Some sounds that exhibit aliasing are using older DSP blocks that are in there for K-series compatibility (old one block SAW, PULSE, etc. blocks). There are double sized blocks which are bandlimited and are very low aliasing. A lot of 3rd party sounds actually use these new DSP blocks (Moose Attack, Vortex, Art Of Sound...)

I can also assure you that there are definitely no "beginners" in Kurzweil's soundware team.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
And, there are clearly audible differences between sections on the keyboard, with different loudness at same key velocity between the two bordering keys
I've noticed this also- on two different K boards. Really annoying when your trying to pay light passages. I don't know if they do quality control on the keybed before they ship. It may be wise not to buy a K used - its good you could ship it back.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Don't know if it has the same feature as the K2600 series but I would be surprised if not. You can edit the velocity curve of the keybed in GREAT detail to make it exactly what you want. Try to check that out and see if it helps make it more playable for you.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The action on the K7 is semi-weighted, meaning it is a compromising action designed for the player who plays synth, organ and piano. Fully weighted keys are designed for piano, synth weighted are designed for synth and organ players, semi weighted are designed for a player who does all three and wants to do all three on a single keyboard. I have a PC3 which has the same keyboard as the PC3K7. It took one week for me to get use to the keybed. I don't even think about the keybed anymore. You haven't owned the keyboard long enough to even have given yourself a chance to get use to it. If you wanted a weighted keyboard you should have purchased a K8, or a synth action then a K6. All three keyboards have different actions, each addressing a different situation. I play in various bands and play piano/rhodes half the night and organ half the night, so the compromising action of the TP8 keybed is perfect for my situation, so I would disagree 100% with your keybed assessment.

As far as sound goes Kurzweil is known in the industry as having a premier sound package, it's their strength. Pink Floyd used Kurzweil equipment (K2500's) for years. Some of the best sounding gear I've ever heard. The PC3 is a step up from the K2500 keyboard from a sound perspective.

The display is not a bug, it is feature. The underline tells you where that layer is being used in the program, i.e. whether that particular sound is spread across the entire keybed or whether that sound is only used in a certain zone within the keybed range. Read the manual and you would have known this.

The PC3 has some of the better E-pianos for a workstation. The Rhodes and Wurli's are particularly good for a workstation keyboard. I use to carry a CP70 stage piano, a Wurli 200A, a Fender Rhodes Mark I, a Clav D6 and a Hammond/leslie back in the day so I know how they are supposed to sound. The PC3 is an excellent retro instrument and I'll tote that around long before I tote those old electromechanical keyboards around (the exception being I still from time to time lug a hammond/leslie). The orchestral sounds are considered to be world class as well as their technical support. IMO I think some of your assessments are off base, sorry.

Also, some of your facts are incorrect. You mentioned the 128Mb of samples but it has 64Mb of samples. The128Mb is the additional sample memory available on the K series. You also mentioned the 73 key keybed but the K7 has 76 keys.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➑️
Don't know if it has the same feature as the K2600 series but I would be surprised if not. You can edit the velocity curve of the keybed in GREAT detail to make it exactly what you want. Try to check that out and see if it helps make it more playable for you.
This is unfortunately not possible on PC3. On K2xxx you could edit both velocity AND aftertouch curves. I'm sure missing those features (more for AT rather than vel).
Old 31st January 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
my two cents:

1) I have fought the 76 keyboard as hard as I could. Dump it. It is a PITA. It is bad, bad., bad.

I moved to 88 + 61, and I love both of them

76 is a major error by kurz imho.

rumours that they want to make it the standard for the k4000 are FRIGHTENING and Korg-supporting [and don't push me into commenting Korg keyboards...]

2) sound: I deeply disagree on the harsh critiques to the pc3k's rhodes.

They are of course rompler-level [remember this is a rompler], and not so much multi-layered.

The kronos' rhodes sound better... at twice the price, requiring a full dedicated modeling engine in a cheap case

Is any other rompler better than the pc3k? No way.

The clavias? No. Nossir. I A/Bed the nord stage foir half a day before buying, and the pc3 got it

They are eminently playable and TWEAKABLE.

I got several processed rhodes (phase, flange, ring modulator, dostortion, wha, combined) and a "clean" (very light phasing) which are musical.

Work on the keyboard velocity curves and on effects and EQ.

3) I am still doing reserach on a rhodes sample I could add to the pc3k.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I would argue that it's really personal/subjective the feel of K7/PC3's keybed. I really didn't mind it.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
This is unfortunately not possible on PC3. On K2xxx you could edit both velocity AND aftertouch curves. I'm sure missing those features (more for AT rather than vel).
Thats correct ED - at the user level.
I believe there is a way to do it that takes longer, but I have not tested it yet.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
K6 has a synth keybed, I wasn't fond of it.
Well, do you generally prefer more hefty keys, or do you like other synth action keybeds, just not this one?
Could you describe what you didn't like about it?

Quote:
Regarding EPs, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I mean there IS some discernible velocity switching, however those sounds are really REALLY playable and in live mix just sound spectacular.
Well, it's not only a little, IMO. As said, not only clear velocity switching, but also some hard number of harmonics switching is going on, very audible.
And then, the lower end is rather bad alltogether. You can hear dragged-down for god knows how many half steps samples...

I liked the EP sounds very much on youtube, when somebody played some songs, with a lot going on, where you couldn't clearly here single notes played out.
But sometimes, you'd want that. Not very many keys played at once, and played rather slowly. There, those sounds would rather not shine, and there I got disappointed.
Because, you know - the EP sounds I heard ppl demo on YT, together with the hammond B3 sounds, were the reason why I chose the PC3K.

Quote:
Some sounds that exhibit aliasing are using older DSP blocks that are in there for K-series compatibility (old one block SAW, PULSE, etc. blocks). There are double sized blocks which are bandlimited and are very low aliasing. A lot of 3rd party sounds actually use these new DSP blocks (Moose Attack, Vortex, Art Of Sound...)
Ok, now if that's the case, that most of those sounds where I heard aliasing were using older blocks, it would be a relief.
A second reason why I chose the kurzweil was the ability to "dial in" (well, not quite so easy :D) classical synth sounds.
Playing with the presets then seemed quite sobering, rather "meh" approximations of their obvious originals. Heard some nice 3rd party sounds on YT, though.

But the aliasing then shed some extra doubt. It can ruing the whole thing. If 50% of your sound programming time is working around aliasing, it's not fun, and nothing I'd like to spend that kind of money on.

Quote:
I can also assure you that there are definitely no "beginners" in Kurzweil's soundware team.
Didn't mean there really were, but these kind of glitches reminded me of free SoundFont files from the net.
The deficiencies are there, and to me, they don't sound small.
I was surprized to find them on $$$$ gear.

But I also mentioned, I don't know the standards.
I have been using PC software mostly, and I never bought a keyboard as expensive (at the time I bought) as the Kurz before, so I had kinda high expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave ➑️
The action on the K7 is semi-weighted, meaning it is a compromising action designed for the player who plays synth, organ and piano. Fully weighted keys are designed for piano, synth weighted are designed for synth and organ players, semi weighted are designed for a player who does all three and wants to do all three on a single keyboard.
Thanks for the lecture, I'd never heard of that...
It doesn't mean at all that all toutet "semi weighted" keybeds are the same, or any good, though. They might all achieve the semi-weightedness in different ways. My Roland JX-8P keys seem to weigh more than PC3K7 keys, but play much nicer, their resistance to pressing does not seem "artificial" like the PC3, and this sort of "artificial feel" is what I don't like.

Quote:
You haven't owned the keyboard long enough to even have given yourself a chance to get use to it.
That could be the case, still, it's not the first time I encounter keys with the described properties, and if something feels like setting off strain injury, I drop it like a hot potatoe, and this sort of feel does that.
Also, I don't think if I spend quite a lot of money, that "have to get used to it" should be the most frequently thing uttered.

Quote:
If you wanted a weighted keyboard you should have purchased a K8
Well. I wanted to try whether there are semi weighted keys that I like.
I have liked some synth action, but there's the risk of plastic factor ;-)
I do own a fully weighted MIDI controller, but that's not what I wanted for this keyboard.

Quote:
As far as sound goes Kurzweil is known in the industry as having a premier sound package, it's their strength. Pink Floyd used Kurzweil equipment (K2500's) for years. Some of the best sounding gear I've ever heard. The PC3 is a step up from the K2500 keyboard from a sound perspective.
Well, "known for" ... and "kurzweil" ... a sort of tell tale reputation for a brand is not what I am interested in, I like facts, and I know what I hear.
Big names don't necessarily help, the members of Pink Floyd must be half deaf by now, not a good reference.
And it's also a fact that only the very biggest music chains here do even have Kurzweil stuff, and one of the biggest which have a store near me don't have them on stock. I could hold that right against the reputation you mention - why does (by comparison) hardly anyone buy their stuff? See, it doesn't work that easily.
Then again, I may be spoilt by PC based packages.

Quote:
The display is not a bug, it is feature. The underline tells you where that layer is being used in the program, i.e. whether that particular sound is spread across the entire keybed or whether that sound is only used in a certain zone within the keybed range.
Fair enough, although it's a bit weird looking, but given the spartan display... well allright.

Quote:
The PC3 has some of the better E-pianos for a workstation.
Odd, the PC3K were introduced to me more as synths, not workstations, and indeed they seem not to have a lot of workstation features at all, which is good, since I wouldn't like to pay for those anyway.

Quote:
The Rhodes and Wurli's are particularly good for a workstation keyboard. I use to carry a CP70 stage piano, a Wurli 200A, a Fender Rhodes Mark I, a Clav D6 and a Hammond/leslie back in the day so I know how they are supposed to sound.
Okay, but what do you say to the bottom end sounds, played out, singly? They don't sound real to me at all. I never had a rhodes or something, bvut I know music with them, and heard supposedly real emulations on PC.

Quote:
The orchestral sounds are considered to be world class
I can only agree there

Quote:
as well as their technical support.
Heard some bad things of support here in Europe, but if they help if I post on some US forum, It'd be all fine to me.

Quote:
IMO I think some of your assessments are off base, sorry.
Fair enough, I'm aware that I may have too high expectations.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unshaven ➑️
Hey,

so I ordered a Kurzweil PC3K-7, which arrived yesterday.

Key action: vs. K6 (TP9x ? )
I like the thing so far, but am not happy with the key action.
And it's not that I just don't like weight - my fatar SL990 pro hammer action.....
I'm a pianist with a 1930's Grotrian Steinweg acoustic upright in my living room.
So I was after a fully weighted 88 keys to play, but after 2 months of playing my new PC3k8, I have to say compared to my acoustic, the 'fully weighted' keys feels like swimming with a bucket tied around your ankles - ie:the keyboard action feels extremely heavy and clunky after playing on a reasonably well regulated acoustic upright.
I'm interested to compare this against the feel of a Yammy motif.
Can't really comment on the tweakability of rhodes sounds etc, yet.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
PC3K8's action is not nearly as heavy as Roland's and Yamaha's weighted actions, from my experience.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Heard some bad things of support here in Europe, but if they help if I post on some US forum, It'd be all fine to me.
Uhm... support in Italy is currently a bit in discussion.

As far as online support is concerned, go to the American non-official support website (sonikmatter) if you are a masochist who hero-worships Tourette-affected part-time-psychologists.

Check the Australian (Cunka) forum for first class technical support and constant presence by Kurz programmers.

Once you get through that (first-level discussion), Kurz support people will often contact you for follow-through if the issue is bad enough

That was my experience, and it contributed to my purchases of Kurz stuff, bad local support notwithstanding
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Topnotch support as far as I'm concerned, just e-mail [email protected] in case you need anything.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Oh no, help, I tried out more keyboards :-D

So, I just got back from the biggest music store here "nearby".
The seemed to have listened to my begging, and had the Kurz PC3K6 there to try :-D

Keys:
They feel allright. Not totally wha I was hoping for, but not totally bad either.

Sound:
Since quite a few here strongly disagreed with my "review" of the EP sounds on the kurz, I had a few minutes playing with them.
I must say, I was unable to find the patches that I found the worst.
So *perhaps* I was overemphasizing, or more strongly remembering the bad sides of those EPs, and not all patches are as bad in those regards.

Still, I was walking back and forth between the Jupiter-50 just a few meters apart, plugging the phones in and out, and found it to be tough which I like better.
I like the Ju-50 keys better, although they're a bit light, just a tad.
The Kurz acoustic piano sounded distinctly better, at least the few patches I tried.
I liked the Ju-50 synth sounds much better than the PC3K6's, and I think the EPs also, but the PC3K's Hammond B3 sounded more like the real thing in some regards.

That's somehow a general thing I noticed about the Kurz. There are many sounds which have a certain "awesome!" factor at first, because the sound have, in a way, more detail than other boards I've heard when it comes to retro stuff, bringing it closer to the originals, but then, at the same time, there is also some aspect of it that spoils it a little, things in the sound that don't belong there.
Especially all the retro synth sounds on the PC3K had something of that, I couldn't really get warm with them.

Then... I got my hands, but alas not the ears, on a Yamaha Motif XF-6.
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Do I like the key action of that thing... some music god heard my prayers.
But it's also more expensive than both of the other mentioned boards... and seems to be a lot more "workstation", which I don't really need...
But the keys, the keys! And I haven't even heard the sounds. lol.

Gee, the price range of boards that I was even considering, leering with one eye at most, ramped up quite a lot the last couple weeks *sigh*
I didn't initially plan on spending so much, but not being really content so far, hrmmm ^^
I don't even deserve such keyboards considering the lousy player I am :-D

Last edited by unshaven; 31st January 2013 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Nice thread. I'm considering the PC3.. The LE Series though, because of the the nice things you can do with the pads. I'm as well looking at the 76 key version.. I mean they are semi weighted right? So I would assume they are like Maudio's AXIOM's keys.. And I love the feel of them..

Can anybody tell me if the relate to the maudio's axiom?

I own a mpk61 now, and at first I didn't like the keybed.. But I got used to it, and I dont mind it now..

With keybeds, I think its a matter of getting used to...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrugoo ➑️
Nice thread. I'm considering the PC3.. The LE Series though, because of the the nice things you can do with the pads. I'm as well looking at the 76 key version.. I mean they are semi weighted right?

Can anybody tell me if the relate to the maudio's axiom?
Interesting you're asking about the Axiom.
I have the Axiom-61, and I do not like the keys, and now that you say it, there are similarities in feel between them and the PC3K7, for which I dislike both :-D
So you could like them, hehe.
Well, the axiom have a certain "stickyness" to them, i.e. they tend to stick in their key bed a bit, which the PC3K7 does not have.
And the latter's are still a bit harder to press, I think.

IIRC, the PC3LE-7 does *not* have the exact same type of keybed as the PC3K7, though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Interesting you're asking about the Axiom.
I have the Axiom-61, and I do not like the keys, and now that you say it, there are similarities in feel between them and the PC3K7, for which I dislike both :-D
So you could like them, hehe.
Well, the axiom have a certain "stickyness" to them, i.e. they tend to stick in their key bed a bit, which the PC3K7 does not have.
And the latter's are still a bit harder to press, I think.

IIRC, the PC3LE-7 does *not* have the exact same type of keybed as the PC3K7, though.
Have you tried the PC3 LE 7 keybed by anychance?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Actually, they do. It's the PC3K6 and the PC3LE6 which have different keybeds.

The PC3K7, PC3LE7 and the PC3LE6 use the FATAR TP8 (semi-weighted)

The PC3K6 uses the FATAR TP9 (synth action)

According to a post I read somewhere all future product Kurzweil 61 key keybeds will use the semi-weighted action.

Follow the link below to find info about keybeds and other features:

Feature Comparison Chart | Kurzweil
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Very Nice, I don't think I can go wrong with the kurz. The kronos would be nice, but im not a fan of touchscreen, and I don't need to pay for a sequencer. The motif is ok, I sat down with one at guitar center for an hour or so, and its decent.. but you pay more for its live, sequencing abilities.. It was either the korgs m3 or the kurz pc3le for me, because of the pads which will improve my workflow, and composing to another level. And i choose the kurz due to the fact it is not touchscreen, and seems like it is built like a tank.. The 64 polyphony threw me off a bit, but I think there is a special kind of processing, or sample playback kurz developed which allows some nice sound combinations and design. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks..
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave ➑️
According to a post I read somewhere all future product Kurzweil 61 key keybeds will use the semi-weighted action.
not if I they want to sell one to me.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
They probably don't. :/

And I sorta agree with their decision. TP-9 is not the best synth action there is...
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I want to share some thoughts too, sorry my english is not that good.

After having had a K2500 i think 15y ago, i now went for the pc3k 6 . I am more producer than player (let's put it like that and am into sounds like dub, d&b, more "darker" music.

For me, the keyboard action is great, i can more than live with it.

Soundwise, well i know the Kronos Rhodes, it is really (un)real, but on the Kurzweil i can program a sound that might fit maybe much more what i need in that moment. And this sound will the be real too. VERY real! The Kronos UI is so painful, even more considering some of it's sounds.

I think the MOTIF is very good for people who want the best rompler sounds and overall fantastic quality (I might soon going to add one to the Kurzweil too).

The Kurzweil is for people who want their own personal sound. The combination of the legendary Kurzweil sound, the KDFX, the deepness of the editing possibilities
and all let's me get unique and most organic patches that i just can't get from any other keyboard. Very warm beautiful sound.

btw: KORE64 is fantastic !
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've been considering a PC3LE7 as a keyboard controller. It's hard to find a good 76 key controller these days.

Unfortunately, no one has these in the stores. Does anyone know of another keyboard which uses the same Fatar TP8 keybed and which is likely to be in the local Guitar Center?

@unshaven: A quarter of a year later, what did you end up deciding?

Pete
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
EvilDragon, or anybody in the know, I need 2 or 3 answers to something in particular.

I am unable to see the PC3K8 in person without a long road trip to Indiana (Sweetwater Sound).

I used to own the K2500XS with KDFX installed, and my intention is to be a one-man band, again.

I used to setup several Programs in a SETUP, and then apply a particular sequenced SONG utilizing said Programs inside that SETUP (under the COMMON page, SONG) so that I could step on a foot pedal (or tap a key) to trigger the SONG, and then play various parts on the keyboard to be a one-man band.

The issue I ran into often was the limited KDFX of only 4 units. I understand that the new PC3K8 has 16 units of KDFX, which is much better, but still I wish it had more than that because 3 or 4 great PROGRAMS might each use 4 FX units (i.e. a good distortion guitar), and if I have a SONG utilitizing a dozen PROGRAMS, you can see that I have to be both creative and efficient in setting up the FX on the Programs so that everything sounds right when coming out as a SETUP Mix in a live situation.

So, before I lay out the money for a PC3K8, could you answer the following for me?

Questions:

1) Can I still do what I just explained above in the new PC3K8? Can I apply a SONG to a SETUP under the COMMON page and trigger it as I had in the K2500? Does the Operating System still work this way?

2) Are applying FX easier in the PC3K8 than it had been in the K-models? It was always a bitch to setup KDFX for the various Programs to go into SETUP mode. Has this been made easier, in addition to having 16 FX units, or is it still just as difficult to work with effects? A little explanation as to the process (if it has changed) would be much appreciated.

3) Lastly, am I correct that the Sample editor has been added back into the Operating System of the PC3K8, which to me means that as far as I am concerned the PC3K8 still does sampling. The fact that it does not have the Mic-In to do the sample recording is the smallest of issues (in fact, not an issue at all) because you can record sounds on anything (i.e. computers) and then just import your recordings into the PC3K8 and you essentially have the exact same thing as a PC3K8 with sampling. Am I correct?

Thanks much,

Todd
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
1. This is called RIFF in PC3, and yes.

2. First of all, it's not called KDFX anymore, just Effects... The layout is like on a mixer: you get two aux lines (sends for reverbs, delays...) and each zone in setup (or MIDI channel in Program mode) gets insert FX line. There is 16 FX units at disposal for ALL of these. So yes, you are going to have to do some FX chain trimming in case of using more programs in a setup, indeed...

Mind you, I've never laid my hands on a K2xxx myself (except very shortly with K2500R, but VERY shortly), so I didn't really mess with KDFX much. But the system in PC3 is simpler, overall.

3. You can edit samples and keymaps with OS2.0 and above, yes. You just cannot record them. So yes, it will do this.
Old 9th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1. This is called RIFF in PC3, and yes.

2. First of all, it's not called KDFX anymore, just Effects... The layout is like on a mixer: you get two aux lines (sends for reverbs, delays...) and each zone in setup (or MIDI channel in Program mode) gets insert FX line. There is 16 FX units at disposal for ALL of these. So yes, you are going to have to do some FX chain trimming in case of using more programs in a setup, indeed...

Mind you, I've never laid my hands on a K2xxx myself (except very shortly with K2500R, but VERY shortly), so I didn't really mess with KDFX much. But the system in PC3 is simpler, overall.

3. You can edit samples and keymaps with OS2.0 and above, yes. You just cannot record them. So yes, it will do this.

Fantastic, and thanks for answering! I'm just a few weeks or less away from taking the plunge, I believe.

Oh, two more questions that came to mind relating to the Sequencer and "RIFF" as you said it is now called:

1) What is the size limitation of the MIDI file (in the K2500 it was 64K, but you could daisy chain SONGS to get around that limitation using the Arrange feature) that can be placed on a RIFF?

which brings up the the next question;

2) I read sometime ago that the Arrange feature was no longer supported. Has that been brought back with any of the latest OS releases?

Thanks again, Dragon!
πŸ“ Reply