Quantcast
Kurzweil PC3K - So I bought one - questions / thoughts - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kurzweil PC3K - So I bought one - questions / thoughts
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I honestly never use riffs or sequencer on my PC3K8. For sequencing there's the DAW.
Old 14th August 2017 | Show parent
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
I honestly never use riffs or sequencer on my PC3K8. For sequencing there's the DAW.
I meant for live improv (when the time comes).
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I guess riffs are useful for that. But sequencer I don't find useful for pretty much anything (or any other hardware sequencer, really - just not my workflow), but that's just me.
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess riffs are useful for that. But sequencer I don't find useful for pretty much anything (or any other hardware sequencer, really - just not my workflow), but that's just me.
Ya! I would most likely play to a track vs the sequencer unless it was patterned based. My old Ensoniq TS-10 I could go form verse, chorus, fill, etc., on the fly.
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't have a Forte so cannot really tell you what's in there from K64 and what's not. Ask Kurzweil support.

32 FX units comes in handy when using the Double Leslie FX chain (it alone takes 14 units!), and in general you can get more patches in a setup to retain their FX chains. Not to mention this also makes patch changing even smoother than it was on PC3.

Of course the additional sample memory is a really big benefit. I don't count the multitude of factory programs a benefit for PC3, since there are a decent number of small variations on a certain theme. Factory patches in Forte are all great.

Plus you can have more user patches stored on the Forte.
So do you think you'll be getting a Forte in the future? Sounds like you would prefer it over the PC3K8.

Besides effects ED, what would be the benefit of the Forte over the PC3K8?

One thing is the action. I see the Forte has a fully weighted hammer action. It might not be as fast the PC3K8.
I prefer a lighter action myself. I hear people saying the action is ok.

Last edited by SEA; 14th August 2017 at 11:45 PM..
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had a PC361K. I miss it. The synth action was excellent do to the metal weights on the underside. I currently own an SP-5. The action on it is awesome for me. Just enough for piano but I can do organ and synth as well. It feels weighted. I keep hoping KURZ will continue this graded hammer action on their future products. I think they have one product with the action but it is a consumer line. This action is not from Fatar. Anyway, I agree that KURZ action in general is lighter and easier to gig with. That is one of the main reasons I play KURZ.

But I was not a fan of my SP-76 at all. I know the PC37K is better but it is still semi. I never played the SP-7 either. But the Semi on the KURZ is not as good as Yamaha in my mind. Like people have said it is uncomfortable.
Old 15th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA ➡️
So do you think you'll be getting a Forte in the future? Sounds like you would prefer it over the PC3K8.
No. I'll be getting the RD-2000 and getting rid of PC3K8 likely. I need triple sensor action in my life, and for Kurzweil sound I can always try and find a K2600R second-hand eventually It'd be missing a lot of the PC3-specific stuff, but oh well. Another option would be getting a PC3K6, but I don't really need another set of keys.

Quote:
Besides effects ED, what would be the benefit of the Forte over the PC3K8?
There is some other functionality that Forte has over PC3K8, like processing audio input with Kurzweil's effects (and that's a biggie in my book), keyswitches (so you can trigger custom chords over a specific set of keys), etc. All useful stuff.

Quote:
One thing is the action. I see the Forte has a fully weighted hammer action. It might not be as fast the PC3K8.
Forte has EXACTLY THE SAME action as PC3K8 (Fatar TP40/L). Also, one other thing that Forte has better over the PC3 is the pitch bend/modwheel redesign. I've had the potentiometer on the pitch wheel on my PC3K8 break down like 3 times in 2 years, needed replacing every time. From what I hear it's a better pot in the Forte, plus the wheel is designed in such a way that dust is less likely to go inside and screw with the pot.
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No. I'll be getting the RD-2000 and getting rid of PC3K8 likely. I need triple sensor action in my life, and for Kurzweil sound I can always try and find a K2600R second-hand eventually It'd be missing a lot of the PC3-specific stuff, but oh well. Another option would be getting a PC3K6, but I don't really need another set of keys.

There is some other functionality that Forte has over PC3K8, like processing audio input with Kurzweil's effects (and that's a biggie in my book), keyswitches (so you can trigger custom chords over a specific set of keys), etc. All useful stuff.

Forte has EXACTLY THE SAME action as PC3K8 (Fatar TP40/L). Also, one other thing that Forte has better over the PC3 is the pitch bend/modwheel redesign. I've had the potentiometer on the pitch wheel on my PC3K8 break down like 3 times in 2 years, needed replacing every time. From what I hear it's a better pot in the Forte, plus the wheel is designed in such a way that dust is less likely to go inside and screw with the pot.
Thanks ED for your reply! You are always one of those "Go To" cats in the know out of these forums. I appreciate your thoughts and insight.

I can pick up a used Forte for the same prices as a floor model PC3K8 ($2,500 for each) However I have a few more questions before making a final decision.

1. First the action. You mentioned they are the same. That's good. However, the Motif action is supposed to be the same, but when I played them side by side there was a big difference to me. Likewise, the S90 XS is supposed to be the same as my S90 ES.

Since I really like the feel of the S90 ES, I ordered a used S90 XS to try for the extra features. The action on the XS did not play as well as my ES but more like the Motif. When I contacted Yamaha about this they said they are the same but basically it's how those same actions were setup at the factory. Even though they MAY be the exact same action, it all depends on how those actions are set up.

Since there is no way to try a Forte or a PC3K8 around here, I'm at the mercy of those who have played both side by side. I can try calling Sweetwater and seeing if I can speak with someone who knows both those keyboards since they have them both on the floor. If for some reason I DID pick up a Forte and decided that the action was stiffer than I wanted, can I take it to a shop and have it adjusted or can I adjust it myself?

2. Can the Forte play all the older K2000 samples? I have about 1,000 K2XXX samples and patches so it would be great if it was 100% backward compatible.
Also the programmability with the VAST synth seems to be there. One end-user on the Sweetwater review said:

Quote:
"Kurzweil's legendary VAST synthesizer engine: Thanks to updates by the Kurzweil's team, the Forte can now be fully programmed from its local interface. If you are not familiar with the power of VAST, do your homework."
Quote:
"Faster envelopes! I have heard complaints about how slow Kurzweil's envelopes are. I recently updated the firmware and along with this came some new options for faster envelopes."
Quote:
"Multi Mode: The Forte has a performance mode that allows you to configure 16 different keyboard zones. Each zone can have a program (patch) assigned to it. Each zone can be programmed to react differently based on many control options. Each zone can be programmed to use a different arpeggio... That is 16 different arpeggios, all capable of running at the same time! I am only scratching the surface when it comes to the power Multimode."
All of these features REALLY are drawing me in for sure!

3. The Forte DOES have much more ram and that screen is very nice. With the ram I was wondering if I could make my own patches creating my own sample using the Forte's software and editor. If so THAT would be cool to have some nice 2 gig custom sample patches then loading them from a large 32 gig flash drive! Now THAT would be cool!

4. One of the only reasons I am looking to return my S90 ES (since I have 45 days and it's been 3 weeks) is because I wanted a keyboard that could also be used as a DAW controller for VST and Reaper. You mentioned before that the PC3K is the best at this. Is the Forte as good as the PC3K8 when it comes to DAW and VST controller?

If I was ever to gig out, I was planing on building a mini PC and using the PC3K8 to layer and controller on my VST samples and software while blending together the PC3K stock sounds. If the Forte can do this just as well then this is a very good feature for sure.

BTW - I did sit down and play the RD2000 again yesterday and I tried to use 1 hand doing 1 note trills with my thumb and middle finger (no cheating like you say) I was also considering the RD2000 as an option but for me, the keyboard was heavier than the Motif (kind of stiff). It did play well, but it was very hard to get 1 note trills using 1 hand since the action is heavier than the Montage and my S90 ES.

The Kawai MP11 was right next to it and using my AKG K712 headphones, I went back and forth a bit. The MP11 played about the same (not as stiff) but was more sluggish on the "Key Up" than the RD2000. So for those interested my advice is to try them out first to see if it's really the action for you.
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
1. Yes, I played on both and it was the same. But never underestimate how much a different velocity curve setting or if a sound was programmed differently, can impact your decision!

2. I think the samples will all be loaded, and probably keymaps too, but programs probably not (too many differences in DSP etc.).

BTW I see nothing about faster envelopes in the latest Forte manual. The slowness of modulation is a hardware limitation on Kurzweils, so I wonder if that information is true... There's also no mention of this in the (usually very detailed) release notes for OS updates. So take this with a grain of salt. It's still the same old lousy 20 Hz refresh rate for modulation.

3. Sure you can make your own patches. Not sure how it works with the software editor, though. From my previous experiences with the SoundTower editor, it's buggy as hell :/

4. Setup (renamed to Multi in Forte) mode is the same as on PC3K8, so you get all the same flexibility in assigning controllers. You could've read the freakin' manual! I've been saying this all along, and only now you quote me about Multi mode, haha. THAT is what you use to control other stuff (along with internal sounds, if needed).

You might've had a wrong RD-2000 or something. The one I played on had a smooth as butter action that was effortless to play.
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
1. Yes, I played on both and it was the same. But never underestimate how much a different velocity curve setting or if a sound was programmed differently, can impact your decision!

2. I think the samples will all be loaded, and probably keymaps too, but programs probably not (too many differences in DSP etc.).

BTW I see nothing about faster envelopes in the latest Forte manual. The slowness of modulation is a hardware limitation on Kurzweils, so I wonder if that information is true... There's also no mention of this in the (usually very detailed) release notes for OS updates. So take this with a grain of salt. It's still the same old lousy 20 Hz refresh rate for modulation.

3. Sure you can make your own patches. Not sure how it works with the software editor, though. From my previous experiences with the SoundTower editor, it's buggy as hell :/

4. Setup (renamed to Multi in Forte) mode is the same as on PC3K8, so you get all the same flexibility in assigning controllers. You could've read the freakin' manual! I've been saying this all along, and only now you quote me about Multi mode, haha. THAT is what you use to control other stuff (along with internal sounds, if needed).

You might've had a wrong RD-2000 or something. The one I played on had a smooth as butter action that was effortless to play.
I went over the manual a bit (missed the part about setups). I've been under a time crunch with my engineer flying down to Forida in a few days to help me build a new DAW. I've been WAY to busy researching and buying parts.

As far as the wrong RD 2000 I believe it's the same. However I also think that not every keyboard is exact! Perhaps it depends on the tech at the time ya know ;-)
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you can get the Forte for 2,5k and you don't need the ribbon/breath controllers as well as the sequencer, then it's a no brainer and you would be stupid to buy the K8.

You can download all of the PC3/Kore factory Programs at the Ksetlist, as well as on the Mastering VAST forum.

I probably bought one of the first Fortes, if you have any more specific questions, just ask.

Regarding one note trills: I played classical music for the first 20 years of my "career" up to chopin etudes and can't remember a single piece where this would have really mattered. Could you give an example?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duplobaustein ➡️
If you can get the Forte for 2,5k and you don't need the ribbon/breath controllers as well as the sequencer, then it's a no brainer and you would be stupid to buy the K8.

You can download all of the PC3/Kore factory Programs at the Ksetlist, as well as on the Mastering VAST forum.

I probably bought one of the first Fortes, if you have any more specific questions, just ask.

Regarding one note trills: I played classical music for the first 20 years of my "career" up to chopin etudes and can't remember a single piece where this would have really mattered. Could you give an example?
I have a few questions for you:

1. The Kurzweil feature comparison site lists the Forte as having only 1/3rd the number of programs as the PC3K- is this true? What do you lose? Is it a big loss?

2. Can you sample or resample on the Forte?

3. Do samples imported into the Forte play across the keybed in a pitched manner?

4. How long does it take the Forte to boot up?

5. Obviously, the Forte is superior in most ways. Is there any reason a person would choose a PC3K over a Forte other than ribbon and breath controller use?

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➡️
I have a few questions for you:

1. The Kurzweil feature comparison site lists the Forte as having only 1/3rd the number of programs as the PC3K- is this true? What do you lose? Is it a big loss?

2. Can you sample or resample on the Forte?

3. Do samples imported into the Forte play across the keybed in a pitched manner?

4. How long does it take the Forte to boot up?

5. Obviously, the Forte is superior in most ways. Is there any reason a person would choose a PC3K over a Forte other than ribbon and breath controller use?

Thanks
1. As said, you can load all of the PC3/Kore64 sounds on Ksetlist and Mastering VAST. Don't know why they did that, it also makes importing PC3 Setups with factory programs a big hussle, because those programs are missing.

2. No. You can just import samples.

3. When you create a proper keymap, then of course samples are mapped on the keybed.

4. Approx. 30 seconds.

5. The sequencer. Other than that, I can't imagine a reason.
Old 13th June 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by duplobaustein ➡️
5. The sequencer. Other than that, I can't imagine a reason.
I realize it's a mortal sin to necro old posts on the interwebs, but that's how I roll. Long-time gearslut, first time poster

This thread has been the most helpful of over 2 weeks of daily research into the Kurzweil PC3K8 vs Forte purchase decision. I completely fell in love with the PC3K8 via reviews and 'Tube demos and thought I had a decision made - until I realized the PC3K8 is over 8 years old ? and I am only slightly put off by the tiny LCD screen; otherwise, it checks all the boxes.

Then a friend linked me the Forte (which originally I skimmed right over thinking it was a plastic version of a real keyboard ) and now I have spent the last 2 weeks agonizing over which one is "better". I know it's entirely subjective... and thus, reading this thread has been very helpful. Thank you, all.

To the quote... it appears now that Forte does have the Sequencer. Aside from the hefty price tag ($3995) and the scary classification as a "Stage Piano", when what I am after is a real Workstation, would I really be "stupid" to choose the PC3K8 over the Forte?

The reason I personally am still looking towards the PC3K8 is the maturity, really. It's been around, it's beautiful, powerful and has a massive support system. On the comparison chart, there seems to be a few things the Forte doesn't do, and while not deal-breakers I'd hate to drop that much cash to discover down the road I really needed a ribbon controller I'm also a little skittish that the Forte only just now became a Workstation, where the PC3 was one all along...

It's agonizing being me. Decisions are terrible, when there are so many options heh. Anyway, thanks for listening, and sorry again for the necro... but this was an amazing thread.

Jc
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceeaz ➡️
The reason I personally am still looking towards the PC3K8 is the maturity, really. It's been around, it's beautiful, powerful and has a massive support system. On the comparison chart, there seems to be a few things the Forte doesn't do, and while not deal-breakers I'd hate to drop that much cash to discover down the road I really needed a ribbon controller I'm also a little skittish that the Forte only just now became a Workstation, where the PC3 was one all along...
Well, the PC3 gained a lot of "workstation" stuff over time via OS updates. Here are things that have been added to the Forte via OS updates:

1.) KB3 doesn't take polyphony from VAST -- you can have an organ and VAST stuff in a Multi and you'll get 128 notes polyphony on the organ and 128 "voices" with VAST at the same time

2.) VAST editing onboard

3.) Sequencer

4.) RIFFs

5.) Using KDFX chains on the audio input

6.) 3.2 GB of user sample/keymap space

None of those things were in the original OS, all added after the fact via OS updates. At this point, the Forte is truly a "workstation" IMO.

IIRC Doepfer makes a MIDI ribbon controller; that's what I plan on getting (I have a PC361 w/ribbon) when I make the jump into Forte-land. Plus it does other things (like CV), so it will be generally more useful anyways (although... I'm pretty sure one could get the Kurzweil Ribbon to do "CV" with some VAST hijinks...), and it has standard MIDI jacks and stuff.

There is one programming thing that I like to do that currently can't be done on the Forte, but it is relatively minor -- there's no way to "unlock" the phase (currently, anyways) of the DSP oscillators (you can do this on the PC3 by having a "dangling" input into a Cascade Layer that isn't hooked up to anything).
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Loving my Forte as a replacement for my ancient K2500XS. The use of the new screen is pretty effective across the board, and at three years in I think it’s safely mature enough to be past any early quirks. They used one during NBC’s live JC Superstar performance if that’s any indication of how confident people very familiar with the PC3K have gotten with the new hardware.

I think it’s also safe to say there aren’t going to be any software updates coming to the PC3K at this point. No guarantees on the Forte either, of course, but it’s still a possibility. Some day they’ll do new hardware that addresses the infamous 50Hz modulation clock but I’m still not holding my breath.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
and at three years in I think it’s safely mature enough to be past any early quirks.
Thank you, Lady Gaia. This is a fair statement. Again, I wasn't even aware of Forte until recently ( because a) I am a horrible Googler and b) I asked others about Kurzweil gear and "PC3K!" was all they shouted ) but Forte is getting a good looking-into now, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp
At this point, the Forte is truly a "workstation" IMO.
Hey poserp, you're kinda a celebrity in my google results, since all roads in my research have lead to your YouTube channel Thank you, btw, for your reply here and for your work on the PC3 tutorials. They are part of what's selling me that unit!

The Forte does have some nice features over the PC3k... but poserp, as a current PC3 user planning to go TO a Forte - can you name anything off the top of your head that you would miss?

Looking at the comparison chart, I do not see a lot taken away (the things mentioned above, and maybe GM, but who really uses that anymore? oh and digital out that I never use even on my QS8...) so I'm not sure why these few things are giving me pause. It's likely just the vast amount of info I find on PC3 vs Forte, which is why I assumed it was brand-spankin new.

I guess I should have mentioned before, I'm after a Workstation-class board because it's literally the last piece I need (for now, heh). I have all my noise-makers (DM12, System8, JP80) my sound generators (Integra-7 and some ancient gear I can't let go of), an XK-3c so I do not care about clonewheels, and my Alesis is slowly heading out to pasture, which is why I am after 88-key weighted. What I want now is a performance machine, full sequencing and all that fancy triggering for live performances as well as composition. Tried using a DAW for MIDI for years, and it's just not how I wish to work anymore. I want to "do it live".

Finally: Besides "Stage Piano" marketing, the other off-putting thing about Forte is the lack of "how to use this machine" videos like there are for the PC3. There's hours upon hours of some dude sitting there playing 50 programs, always starting with Pianos but I want stuff like Kurzweil Tutorials (who was that, Chris G?) or poserp's actual hands-on walkthrus of stuff. So for now, I am walking through both 400+ page Musician's Guides and comparing things. My head hurts.

Sorry to ramble on. It's late, my eyes are bleeding from reading another massive thread here (you guys seriously rock!) so I'll say again, thank you for your input, and here's to making the best choice moving forward.

Peace.
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear
@ jayceeaz

In addition to what others have said....

In your research you have more than likely run across the name David Weiser, formerly an employee of Kurzweil and now doing his own thing (onward and upward!) through Weisersound. (WEISERSOUND) If you're running through the pros and cons of going between the PC3K and Forte boards and looking to make a purchase I would not hesitate to reach out to him and get his two cents. In addition to being a sound programmer/designer he is also a Kurzweil dealer (among some other manufacturers as well). He is also an all around great guy based on my humble interactions with him and observance of his participatory conversations within various forums.

On a related note: When I got a chance to load a bunch of the programs that I had obtained from him, some of which were updates to existing programs on the "out of the box" Forte like pianos and electric pianos, it took my breath away (all over again). Getting the initial programming done in preparation for launching the Forte produced some amazing sounds but, as usual, meeting target dates will always involve some form of compromise as fantastic as the initial results might be. With the deadline of a product launch behind him, the little touches that David has added to some of those in the form of often subtle, but what really help seal the deal, imperfections and nuanced layers within the patches have taken my Forte to yet another level. They have helped provide yet another example of how deep you can go when working within the architecture of the Kurzweil boards when you have the knowledge and expertise to do so.
Old 14th June 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndthftzamboni ➡️
If you're running through the pros and cons of going between the PC3K and Forte boards and looking to make a purchase I would not hesitate to reach out to him and get his two cents.
Awesome, thank you. 2-cents requested of WeiserSound You guys rock. Getting close to pullin' that trigger, I can feel it.
Here for the gear
Well, my fellow gearslutz... I followed [all of] your advice, did a lot more looking into Forte, and even went so far as to contact David Weiser as suggested; and, he replied very quickly! His words really do help me with this decision, as do all of yours here on these forums. David mentioned I could share his reply, so I will here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Weiser
Hi John,

Great to hear from you! Good questions - and yes it is a no-brainer. Forte all the way. PC3K is being retired. I worked on both when I was a Kurz R&D; I was product manager for the PC3K and was an outside contractor for the Forte.

The Forte is a gem, the most fun I've ever had on a sound design project. It is now the flagship, and is branded as such on their website product page. Product: Forte | Kurzweil
"Stage Piano + Synthesizer + Workstation"

It's a huge step up from the PC3K - 128MB of sound ROM to 16GB!

Feel free to check in on the growing Forte online community on Facebook to get a taste of how users are enjoying the experience of owning one.
Kurzweil Forte 8/7/SE Group public group | Facebook

They decided to keep one model and just add free OS updates with new features instead of releasing incremental hardware with minimal improvements. It let them get the platform up and running with a simple stage piano feature set. And then once it was stable they could add features and sounds. Good for about 10 reasons - less work for R&D, less re-tooling for factory, rewards customer loyalty, great PR/branding. Over the past few years they've added items like half-damper, string resonance, full synth/FX editing, twice the FX power of a PC3K and 3GB of user sample memory. It's received literally the most/biggest free upgrades in the history of keyboarding!

In most ways it's basically a K3000 - has the big screen, better audio quality, 16 GB of new material, 3GB of user material, boots in 20 seconds and doesn't cost $7K! It's lighter weight and less expensive than the flagships form Korg, Yamaha and Roland - and blows them out of the water with sounds and features.

Lots of demos, reviews, and info here if you want to take a listen: WEISERSOUND
And more on my front page. WEISERSOUND
I chuckled at his mention of the K3000, considering the other post I spent most of yesterday reading through

Thank you again for your helpfulness and guidance.
Jc
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
„Blows them out of the water“ is quite brave, but from a subjective point of view, it can be right. I would call it at least competitive.

Dave is the most supportive guy in this industry I ever met.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Nothing against Dave, he's a great guy, but I wouldn't say that Forte blows Kronos out of the water on features and sounds, honestly... They're quite different, and Kronos can do a lot of things much more easily too... Forte doesn't have a physical modeling engine, and FM+waveshaping on Kronos is done in a much MUCH more accessible way, for example. Kronos also doesn't have aliasing LFOs because of low refresh rate of the microcontroller... Forte has nothing like Karma and wavesequencing on Kronos is much better overall.

Gotta have both, ehehe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nothing against Dave, he's a great guy, but I wouldn't say that Forte blows Kronos out of the water on features and sounds, honestly...
Agree. As a controller, the Forte is more versatile and I prefer the Kurz FX and pianos/epianos. But in many aspects, the Kronos is still the „best“ workstation out there.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I actually prefer Kronos' electric pianos, they play so smooth and are just very responsive due to resynthesis techniques (no velocity layers)...
Old 15th June 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Indeed, Kronos is amazing. I have a good friend who comes over with one and the sounds it makes are stellar, and the feature set is mind blowing (for me, new to workstations anyway). In fact, it was his introducing me to "workstations" that got me on this tear in the first place. I have nothing at all against Korg/Kronos, but I wanted a Kurzweil product for many reasons.

But certainly, if the Kurzweil options didn't pan out, my only other choice would have been a Kronos.
Old 15th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I actually prefer Kronos' electric pianos, they play so smooth and are just very responsive due to resynthesis techniques (no velocity layers)...
I actually sent it back mainly because of the keybed and the EPs. There is till now no good distortion on the Kronos, to achieve a crunchy amped Rhodes sound. Effects in general had been quite underwhelming.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Interesting. To me Kronos 88's keybed is better than TP40/L overall. Never had a problem with Korg's effects (going back to X5D they were pretty great even back then, great majority of them at least, especially modulation FX) personally. Distortions are quite decent, in some cases Kurzweil's are better, in some other Korg's are better. It's a toss-up.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hm. I know quite a few Kronos fanboys, that complain about the distortion, but of course personal taste. To be fair, this is really ona of the VERY few downsides of the Kronos and it’s not that big thing. It’s a hell of a synth/workstation in the end.
Old 18th October 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

PC3K8 program/setup sound remain

Jumping on this old thread...

Does the sound on the PCK8 cut off when changing from one Program or Setup to the next?

I've recently purchased a Roland FA-08 and very disapointed with some aspects of this workstation. Thinking I should have saved some more $ and gone with a PC3K8, which is actually older than some of the sounds in the FA-08...
Old 18th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy75 ➡️
Does the sound on the PCK8 cut off when changing from one Program or Setup to the next?
Kurzweil was one of the first manufacturers to do a great job of letting notes decay or sustain when changing programs or setups. So the PC3K8 should do well on at least one aspect of what you’re asking about.

Where they aren’t always as graceful is keeping effects from cutting out audibly when switching. Mind you, they have plenty of company on that front. I know the PC3 series had some work done to minimize audible disruption, but I can’t speak from first-hand experience regarding how effective it was.

The current line, the Kurzweil Forte, can change seamlessly when the number of combined effects on the prior and newly selected setup don’t exceed some threshold, similar to how the Yamaha Montage and MODX work.
📝 Reply