Quantcast
Can Roland V-synth do this kind of stuff? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can Roland V-synth do this kind of stuff?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can Roland V-synth do this kind of stuff?

Hi guys, I was having a BLAST with Tone2 Rayblaster. I can't tell you how much fun it is.

I'd love to have the ability to do this kind of thing in a hardware keyboard,

I've only had a brief go on the V-synth, no where near enough time to get into it.

For those that have, does it do this kind of thing, exactly like this or somewhat?

Thanks!
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You would have to dig into the innards of the original V-Synth, but yes it was designed to take patches or samples and mangle them into something completely different.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you can also use the v-synth with a live input as an effect processor with a lot of tweakability and control. it can do comb filtering and you can do some fairly crazy things with the onboard control surface for realtime manipulation by assigning them to affect levels of the amp and filter processing. also there's the onboard pitch tweaking if you have the vocal designer card as well so you could use that to alter the pitch of the actual signal in realtime and/or add overtones or harmonies on top.
Old 20th January 2013
Deleted User
You can pitch shift and time shift independently, but its not exactly grain synthesis (unless you set speed to zero, sort of). You can definitely mangle voice samples till they are undistinguishable. It will be a bit different sounding. You can also scratch sounds on the time pad. I like to drop in two breakbeats and completely mess up the grooves. As far as hardware its the closest you will get right now.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int ➡️
you can also use the v-synth with a live input as an effect processor with a lot of tweakability and control. it can do comb filtering and you can do some fairly crazy things with the onboard control surface for realtime manipulation by assigning them to affect levels of the amp and filter processing. also there's the onboard pitch tweaking if you have the vocal designer card as well so you could use that to alter the pitch of the actual signal in realtime and/or add overtones or harmonies on top.

Wanted to mention that myself, you beat me to it.
📝 Reply